Troy Aikman on Dak

Sydla

Reaction score
Seriously? There was even a thread created during the week last week by a fellow poster showing a video of Michael being passionately upset with the whole receiving crew.

The two points don’t conflict with each other. Irvin can be upset with how the WRs are playing and still note that until the passing offense is better, teams will just focus on Elliott.

Our passing game flounders because we have average WRs and an ineffective QB.

Legend

Reaction score
Aikman threw high and low balls as well and a lot of INTs; even though he had outstanding accuracy.

No QB throws perfect passes all the time. However, Aikman had studs at WR and TE unlike Dak.

The reason the Cowboys have not sniff the SB in 2 decades is due to not building a team that was strong offensively, defensively, and on special teams; simultaneously.

So they need to upgrade receiving corps, safeties, and so on within the salary cap. And do not make offers of $16M to Sammy Watkins type players again.

Sydla

Reaction score
No offense to Irvin or Newton, but when it comes to analyzing a QB, I'd trust the Hall of Fame QB and his assessment before I would trust theirs. On the flipside, I'd trust Newton's assessment of an OL before I'd trust Aikman's.

And frankly, Irvin can get too emotional and play favorites at times. He's been in the tank for Dak for awhile so I suspect he'll give him way more rope than many other former players.

Sydla

Reaction score
Aikman threw high and low balls as well and a lot of INTs; even though he had outstanding accuracy.

No QB throws perfect passes all the time. However, Aikman had studs at WR and TE unlike Dak.

The reason the Cowboys have not sniff the SB in 2 decades is due to not building a team that was strong offensively, defensively, and on special teams; simultaneously.

So they need to upgrade receiving corps, safeties, and so on within the salary cap. And do not make offers of $16M to Sammy Watkins type players again.

I can't tell if this is a "if Dak had elite weapons he'd be just like a 3 time SB winning, Hall of Fame QB in Troy Aikman" post...............

And your last paragraph is spot on. $16MM for Sammy Watkins would have been appalling. It scares me that the front office thought that might be money well spent.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I would defer to Aikman any time. But its also obvious. I get the impression Dak holds the ball and is indecisive because even he knows he is not accurate enough to squeeze a ball into a receiver who is covered. But its worse than that. Remember the Panthers game when he overthrew Gathers in the end zone. Gathers was wide open. He underthrew Blake Jarwin on another play. This week he overthrew Austin for what should have been a big play. In this league those plays make a difference between a in and a loss potentially. You get those opportunities only a few times a game so missing those throws is huge.

I also think Dak does miss what defenses are doing a lot. Those blitzes the Texans were running. I could see they were going to blitz on my TV but Dak ran plays right into the blitzes a few times. The old saying is the way to stop those blitzes is to burn the defense a couple of times. Dak doesn't. So Aikman is probably right about Dak's anticipation too.

My only question is, is it Dak or poor QB coaching?

Now you are blaming an inexperienced and unsuccessful coach of the QBs?

Moore is Linehan's pet cat.

Shame on you.

Legend

Reaction score
I can't tell if this is a "if Dak had elite weapons he'd be just like a 3 time SB winning, Hall of Fame QB in Troy Aikman" post...............

You need more than an elite offense or elite QB... Offense, defense, and special teams have to be strong simultaneously.

2014 and 2016 Cowboys defense (especially secondary) were not strong and got exposed.

Current Cowboys offense and defense are weak with major issues. Likewise, they are 2-3. Special teams is good but just need a playmaker in the return game.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The two points don’t conflict with each other. Irvin can be upset with how the WRs are playing and still note that until the passing offense is better, teams will just focus on Elliott.

Our passing game flounders because we have average WRs and an ineffective QB.
Average receivers? More like below average, no #1 talented receiver or TE, and a poorly executing Oline. I guess Dak needs to be Superman out there? Hilarious how Troy and you Dak detractors forget how poor Troy performed his last few years when Michael Irvin, Alvin Harper and Jay Novachek were no longer around, along with poor pass protection? Do you remember???

cowboyec

Reaction score
Can accuracy be improved upon? Can anticipation be taught? Dak has looked bad, but I think he needs better coaching. Romo or Troy would be great, but they're both busy. We should've brought Norv back when he was available.
Tom Moore as QB coach.
if he can't fix it....it can't be fixed.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
A lot of the duress is self inflicted. If he has the ball for 3 seconds as the protection breaking down that is on him or his receivers not getting open. Sometimes that happens but he is top 5 in time allowed to pass. You cannot expect an NFL line to block more than 3 seconds. In HS you at taught you have 3 seconds run it or pass but decide in 3 seconds.

Did you watch the Houston game? 3 seconds? He barely had 1.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Average receivers? More like below average, no #1 talented receiver or TE, and a poorly executing Oline. I guess Dak needs to be Superman out there? Hilarious how Troy and you Dak detractors forget how poor Troy performed his last few years when Michael Irvin, Alvin Harper and Jay Novachek were no longer around, along with poor pass protection? Do you remember???

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legend

Reaction score

I like Troy but he has to be realistic. #1 during the dynasty he had talent to work with.

I am glad the Cowboys did not have to rely on Aikman to carry them. I want the same for Dak.

#2 Dak’s rookie season passing stats are perhaps better or similar to the best seasons Troy ever had.

Troy towards the end of his career without Irvin.

Sydla

Reaction score

The problem is Dak makes mistakes that HAVE ZERO to do with what's around him.

Every week it's pointed out the bad throws he's making, the reads he's missing, etc. It's shown how he felt pressure that wasn't there, broke the pocket when he didn't need to, made off balance throws when he didn't need to.

You'd have an argument if you were watching a QB that was constantly making proper reads like a high level QB, making accurate throws and we were just seeing WRs drop balls, etc. But that's not the case.

You'll get no argument from me that the receivers on this team are inadequate. But to simply think that if you give Dak primo weapons, he''' start slinging it around like an All-Pro is foolish and just blind Dak homerism.