Try taking off your Fanatic Hat! What is best for the Future of our Team?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Oh yes, the higher the pick the odds improve that the idiot and his brain trust will stumble into a quality player. But then again we are talking about the person who dedicated an entire draft to get special teams players. We are talking about the moron who drafted a RB with the #5 pick while his defense withered on the vine with bad CB, Defensive Line and Safety play.
Jerry is a joke in a lot of ways, but to be honest our drafts have been above average over the past 10-12 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why is a 2-10-1 Bengal team playing so hard to beat a 11-2 team when they know no one expects them to and it could cost a higher pick in draft?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Basically the “ tank” mentality would be if you aren’t going to the Super Bowl should be losing to get higher picks. Lol

I’m not sure these fans have ever played competitive sports or understand the spirit of the game.
They have. Being a fan is not playing the game! Another Fanatic giving a speech from his sofa.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No they haven't. This is just more garbage hype from the Dallas Jerry's PR team.
Right

We’ve had a few good drafts . But too many misses , especially on defense , to make more noise.

And then when we’ve actually had a better draft we often waste high picks on injury or problem risk like Gregory and Van Esch.

Or a high pick on RB which no one uses anymore , or using a high pick on a position which isn’t a priority like WR. Not to mention all of the bust on high picks like Taco, Clairborne and Escobar.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They have. Being a fan is not playing the game! Another Fanatic giving a speech from his sofa.
So, what the hell are you . And where are you speaking from?

I speak as though I’m a part of the team and franchise. You never play to lose . I’m not sure you can relate in a competitive nature.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Right

We’ve had a few good drafts . But too many misses , especially on defense , to make more noise.

And then when we’ve actually had a better draft we often waste high picks on injury or problem risk like Gregory and Van Esch.

Or a high pick on RB which no one uses anymore , or using a high pick on a position which isn’t a priority like WR. Not to mention all of the bust on high picks like Taco, Clairborne and Escobar.

Yep, notice how after every draft the claim is that we had the best draft and how next year is the year we take the next step. It's all just PR garbage setup to make the sheep run out and purchase jersey's.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Why is a 2-10-1 Bengal team playing so hard to beat a 11-2 team when they know no one expects them to and it could cost a higher pick in draft?
Are you really asking this ?

Did you read my post. Players and coaches play to win because they are playing or coaching! Fans are sitting in their easy chair, so they can hope for what is best for their teams future.

Your a fanatic so you do not understand this.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Are you really asking this ?

Did you read my post. Players and coaches play to win because they are playing or coaching! Fans are sitting in their easy chair, so they can hope for what is best for their teams future.

Your a fanatic so you do not understand this.
So a fan knows what best for the team more than an owner, coach or player?

You haven’t answered any of these questions yet so I’m assuming you either don’t know or realize it will tear down your argument.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep, notice how after every draft the claim is that we had the best draft and how next year is the year we take the next step. It's all just PR garbage setup to make the sheep run out and purchase jersey's.
It is a business after all. It’s up to us to cypher thru it all.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Winning is always better for the franchise.

And the NFL is set up to benefit those teams losing with a higher pick in the draft. But it doesn’t incentivize losing . It’s only a consolation.

WTtoolman

Reaction score
Christ, this is ridiculous. No matter how much certain people here want the Cowboys to lose for a higher draft pick, it simply is not going to happen. It's not happening with any NFL team, let alone one with an owner who doesn't want to lose anything ever. It is not happening. End of story.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Christ, this is ridiculous. No matter how much certain people here want the Cowboys to lose for a higher draft pick, it simply is not going to happen. It's not happening with any NFL team, let alone one with an owner who doesn't want to lose anything ever. It is not happening. End of story.
I’d certainly like to think no owner would intentionally lose.

But there’s nothing wrong with being happy that losing provides a higher pick. It’s a consolation prize.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If you don’t realize picking the 5th player in every round is much more advantageous than picking the 12 or 13 player in every round I don’t know what to say to you. Besides the opportunity to pick the better player you have the option to trade down and get more picks.

Of course there are more Hall of Famers selected after the 5th pick. There are only 5 top picks and over 230 picks after that. Do you understand probability?

Now have you ever heard about that list of draft picks, as high as the 1st pick in the draft that have been busts? This idea that because a team has a top 5 pick it guarantees them some future super star is just foolish. Yes having a top 5 pick is better than 12th for nothing more than the ability to get more picks by trading down, but that will NEVER be enough to EVER get me you want the Cowboys to lose any game let alone multiple games to get that top 5 pick. I go by the definition in a dictionary for a fan and that DOES NOT include wanting or hoping your team loses for ANY reason. If winning games gets the Cowboys a lower draft pick I can and will accept that because I know there are players past the 5th pick that can make the Cowboys better. If you listen to some people on this site they act like if the Cowboys don't get a top 5 pick that their draft will automatically be a failure and have zero chances of getting any players that could and would help the Cowboys because according to them only a top 5 pick can do that.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
But I consider myself a realist.

Let me ask you this.

If owners, GM’s and coaches know that it’s better to have higher draft choices why are they still trying to win games?

The reason is because there is an NFL rule that states if a team does not try to win or intentionally tank they run the risk of losing their 1st round pick or more draft picks in the next draft. They have let teams that have already sewn up their spot in the playoffs rest starters in their last game to save them from possible injuries but that's not the same as tanking to get a higher draft pick.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Oh yes, the higher the pick the odds improve that the idiot and his brain trust will stumble into a quality player. But then again we are talking about the person who dedicated an entire draft to get special teams players. We are talking about the moron who drafted a RB with the #5 pick while his defense withered on the vine with bad CB, Defensive Line and Safety play.

People keep bring up things like that but never bring up the dumbest draft day move in draft history The saints traded all 7 of their draft picks in 1999 and their 1st and 3rd picks in 2000 to the skins to be able to draft Ricky Williams. That's 9 draft picks for a RB.