Try taking off your Fanatic Hat! What is best for the Future of our Team?

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
how far are the tankers willing to take this. why stop at this year. tank all next year too and go 0-16 and get the first pick. Why even try next year if you know the odds are still against you, right? A realist would know the odds are not in your favor. No sense in playing to win after tanking the rest of this season only. So tank all next year too.

or better yet, tank for four years straight, 0-16 each year, and build a super team with first pick each year. Only THEN start trying to win.

if you only want to tank THIS year, you must be a fanatic, not a realist, who should be wanting to tank all four years straight to increase the odds, right?

Or why not make it like 8 years, right? that would REALLY increase the odds! Stockpile #1 picks and draft first each round for 8 years straight.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The players, coaches and FO are not tanking. Did you see how pumped everyone was after the San Fran win?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
With the players we have available right now we cannot consistently stop the run. We cannot consistently run the ball. We are playing our 3rd string tackles. We give up the most points in the NFL. Our defense lacks talent and does not work together because our DC is terrible.

Of course players and coaches want to win every game, because they are actually playing and coaching in the games, but fans, are sitting in their easy chairs just watching the games. Fans have the ability to root for what is best for their team’s future. Some fans, most fans are very short sighted and want instant gratification. So regardless of the circumstances,( see above: we can’t stop the run or run consistently etc.) most fans always want their team to win every game.

I’m not one of these fans. I am a realist. I realize our team has, a snow balls chance in hel_ of making a run in the playoffs. I’m willing to delay my gratification this year, when it comes to team wins, ( I cheer for individual plays and players) to improve our chances of winning a Super Bowl in the future.

If we lose our last 2 games, hopefully in competitive games, we still have a chance for the 4th pick in the draft according to Tankathon stats. ( Carolina needs to beat Washington=50/50, Atlanta needs to beat Tampa Bay=50/50, Houston needs to beat the Bungles=90/10

If we win 1 more game we will be picking between 10-13.

We need the 4th or 5th pick in the draft to give us more options( trade back, etc. ). We need new starters from the draft because we won’t be able to afford many Free Agents. We will come back strong next year with a healthy team and a bunch of early round draft picks!

Losing a couple close games now, helps our team win BIG in the future. Don’t settle for late season wins, (this makes Jerry so happy) which really do hurt our future!

Are you a Realist or a Fanatic?

Cowboys have backups all over the place for the most part the OL is backups. I expect players to go out and do their jobs. Dallas will draft high regardless.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A realist understands a fan has zero power over wins, losses and ties. None.

A realist comprehends a fan can hope his or her team's front office will acquire the best available talent in the draft no matter the draft seeding.

A realist realizes drafting seeding dictated by the season is not static and can be modified through trades between franchises.

A realist knows past drafts have illustrated how the best perceived college talent drop and lesser evaluated talent rise up-and-down the draft board.

A realist acknowledges a fan must wait-and-see how the actual current season plays out and how it shall determine the league's final draft order.

A realist accepts a fan's inability to make drafting decisions does not dictate how their favorite team will select any player, no matter what Las Vegas oddsmakers tell them to think.

A realist recognizes rooting for their favorite team to win or lose does not affect the outcome of games but that the former is a positive inclination while the latter is a negative disposition despite all claims to the contrary.

Finally, a realist understands that, regardless of the unquestionable truths listed above, some fans will argue the exact opposite.

So-called realists should be real whenever they proclaim the title.

75boyz

Reaction score
how far are the tankers willing to take this. why stop at this year. tank all next year too and go 0-16 and get the first pick. Why even try next year if you know the odds are still against you, right? A realist would know the odds are not in your favor. No sense in playing to win after tanking the rest of this season only. So tank all next year too.

or better yet, tank for four years straight, 0-16 each year, and build a super team with first pick each year. Only THEN start trying to win.

if you only want to tank THIS year, you must be a fanatic, not a realist, who should be wanting to tank all four years straight to increase the odds, right?

Or why not make it like 8 years, right? that would REALLY increase the odds! Stockpile #1 picks and draft first each round for 8 years straight.

Like I said in my previous post Crash if you're scrolling through all of these...
It's Chinese Arithmetic I tell ya, Lol!!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
. No one is guaranteeing a top 5 pick would automatically be a good pick. An earlier pick just improves your probability of a successful pick.
Also, I realize it is more advantageous, for our future success, to lose our last 2 games in close games.

As I have said many times now at no time will I EVER hope for the Cowboys to lose one or more games and will accept the place in the draft they get because I know there will be some really good players past the top 5 picks that can and will help the Cowboys in the future.

Tommy

Reaction score
The reason is because there is an NFL rule that states if a team does not try to win or intentionally tank they run the risk of losing their 1st round pick or more draft picks in the next draft. They have let teams that have already sewn up their spot in the playoffs rest starters in their last game to save them from possible injuries but that's not the same as tanking to get a higher draft pick.
So your saying that all these teams that don't have a chance of winning the SB want to tank for a better draft pick but NFL rules will not allow them? So they are playing to win because they have to?

Where do you guys get this stuff from?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So your saying that all these teams that don't have a chance of winning the SB want to tank for a better draft pick but NFL rules will not allow them? So they are playing to win because they have to?

Some fans like citizens live in an alternative universe based on their own beliefs.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Its a very simple plan if the things fall into place..
1. Jerry and Stephen go to jail for tax evasion
2. Will McClay takes over all operations
3. MM is fired
4. Urban Meyer takes over the HC job
5. Let Urban make the call regarding Dak, I hope they sign him, but I want the HC to decide
6. They bite the bullet and clean out bad salaries next year.
7. Rebuild BOTH lines in the draft
8. Ad another CB and FS in the draft or FA
9. Win Superbowls in 2022 thru 2025

Really so simple....

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

I know that there are a couple things that are really going to shock you but pro athletes and coaches are EXTREMELY competitive by nature and even if there wasn't an actual NFL rule against tanking, they still would try to win. But there is an actual NFL rule that requires all teams to try to win ALL OF THEIR GAMES or risk the chance of losing their 1st round pick and possibly more if determined multiple games were tanked. The exception they have made is teams that have already locked in their playoff position and chose to rest starters in their last game so not to possibly get injured going into the playoffs.

Tommy

Reaction score
I know that there are a couple things that are really going to shock you but pro athletes and coaches are EXTREMELY competitive by nature and even if there wasn't an actual NFL rule against tanking, they still would try to win. But there is an actual NFL rule that requires all teams to try to win ALL OF THEIR GAMES or risk the chance of losing their 1st round pick and possibly more if determined multiple games were tanked. The exception they have made is teams that have already locked in their playoff position and chose to rest starters in their last game so not to possibly get injured going into the playoffs.
Your contradicting yourself. In your previous post you said the REASON teams are trying to win is because there is a rule that says they have to.

Now your telling me I have to understand that players are competitive by nature and would still try to win.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Its a very simple plan if the things fall into place..
1. Jerry and Stephen go to jail for tax evasion
2. Will McClay takes over all operations
3. MM is fired
4. Urban Meyer takes over the HC job
5. Let Urban make the call regarding Dak, I hope they sign him, but I want the HC to decide
6. They bite the bullet and clean out bad salaries next year.
7. Rebuild BOTH lines in the draft
8. Ad another CB and FS in the draft or FA
9. Win Superbowls in 2022 thru 2025

Really so simple....

Really so simple in your fairy tale world. First off in the real world unless a person is ALSO involved in criminal activities when evading taxes, they don't go to jail. The prosecutor gives them the chance to pay all back taxes and fines and then recommends probation or a suspended sentence. Next you say Will McClay takes over all operations and then say the new head coach makes the decision on signing Prescott. If McClay is the new president, vice president, GM that would be his job. Then with everyone not living in a cave knows that the cap is going to already be less than this years you have this brain storm idea to add a ton of dead money on a smaller cap making it even smaller so there won't ANY money to go get those free agents you want the Cowboys to go get. Oh and McClay was the head of the scouting department so a couple of years ago they made that position a vice president job, but is still just the head of the scouting department. Lets us know when you come up with a plan for the NFL and not fairyland football.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Your contradicting yourself. In your previous post you said the REASON teams are trying to win is because there is a rule that says they have to.

Now your telling me I have to understand that players are competitive by nature and would still try to win.

I didn't say the only reason was the rule against tanking because most people already realize that pro players and coaches are extremely competitive so that would just leave the rule against INTENTIONALLY tanking. Bad try at putting words in my comments.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Really so simple in your fairy tale world. First off in the real world unless a person is ALSO involved in criminal activities when evading taxes, they don't go to jail. The prosecutor gives them the chance to pay all back taxes and fines and then recommends probation or a suspended sentence. Next you say Will McClay takes over all operations and then say the new head coach makes the decision on signing Prescott. If McClay is the new president, vice president, GM that would be his job. Then with everyone not living in a cave knows that the cap is going to already be less than this years you have this brain storm idea to add a ton of dead money on a smaller cap making it even smaller so there won't ANY money to go get those free agents you want the Cowboys to go get. Oh and McClay was the head of the scouting department so a couple of years ago they made that position a vice president job, but is still just the head of the scouting department. Lets us know when you come up with a plan for the NFL and not fairyland football.

so I'm guessing you're a moron. lol

Ekspozed

Reaction score
With the players we have available right now we cannot consistently stop the run. We cannot consistently run the ball. We are playing our 3rd string tackles. We give up the most points in the NFL. Our defense lacks talent and does not work together because our DC is terrible.

Of course players and coaches want to win every game, because they are actually playing and coaching in the games, but fans, are sitting in their easy chairs just watching the games. Fans have the ability to root for what is best for their team’s future. Some fans, most fans are very short sighted and want instant gratification. So regardless of the circumstances,( see above: we can’t stop the run or run consistently etc.) most fans always want their team to win every game.

I’m not one of these fans. I am a realist. I realize our team has, a snow balls chance in hel_ of making a run in the playoffs. I’m willing to delay my gratification this year, when it comes to team wins, ( I cheer for individual plays and players) to improve our chances of winning a Super Bowl in the future.

If we lose our last 2 games, hopefully in competitive games, we still have a chance for the 4th pick in the draft according to Tankathon stats. ( Carolina needs to beat Washington=50/50, Atlanta needs to beat Tampa Bay=50/50, Houston needs to beat the Bungles=90/10

If we win 1 more game we will be picking between 10-13.

We need the 4th or 5th pick in the draft to give us more options( trade back, etc. ). We need new starters from the draft because we won’t be able to afford many Free Agents. We will come back strong next year with a healthy team and a bunch of early round draft picks!

Losing a couple close games now, helps our team win BIG in the future. Don’t settle for late season wins, (this makes Jerry so happy) which really do hurt our future!

Are you a Realist or a Fanatic?
You try to win every game you play. Especially when there is a at the playoffs.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
See here's another thing you're not very good at.

I'm sorry.. I will make sure to post "This is sarcasm" for the slower folks next time. Hang in there buddy, you're doing the best you can with the cards you were dealt!:thumbup:

Tommy

Reaction score
I didn't say the only reason was the rule against tanking because most people already realize that pro players and coaches are extremely competitive so that would just leave the rule against INTENTIONALLY tanking. Bad try at putting words in my comments.

You quoted @Diehardblues asking why NFL teams keep trying to win.

You responded by saying "The reason is because there is an NFL rule that states if a team does not try to win or intentionally tank they run the risk of losing their 1st round pick or more draft picks in the next draft."

So now your saying players and coaches would try to win anyway regardless of the rule.

No one is putting words in your mouth. Your just not making any sense.
https://cowboyszone.com/goto/post?id=10687106#post-10687106

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'm sorry.. I will make sure to post "This is sarcasm" for the slower folks next time. Hang in there buddy, you're doing the best you can with the cards you were dealt!:thumbup:

I see now that it was pointed out how stupid it was now you want to claim that it was sarcasm. Other people on their reply say it was only sarcasm but I guess it took you longer to figure out that saying that it was sarcasm will make it not look so stupid.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I see now that it was pointed out how stupid it was now you want to claim that it was sarcasm. Other people on their reply say it was only sarcasm but I guess it took you longer to figure out that saying that it was sarcasm will make it not look so stupid.

LOL! You really let me have it! Way to go tiger! I'm rooting for you, I really am.