Try taking off your Fanatic Hat! What is best for the Future of our Team?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Now have you ever heard about that list of draft picks, as high as the 1st pick in the draft that have been busts? This idea that because a team has a top 5 pick it guarantees them some future super star is just foolish. Yes having a top 5 pick is better than 12th for nothing more than the ability to get more picks by trading down, but that will NEVER be enough to EVER get me you want the Cowboys to lose any game let alone multiple games to get that top 5 pick. I go by the definition in a dictionary for a fan and that DOES NOT include wanting or hoping your team loses for ANY reason. If winning games gets the Cowboys a lower draft pick I can and will accept that because I know there are players past the 5th pick that can make the Cowboys better. If you listen to some people on this site they act like if the Cowboys don't get a top 5 pick that their draft will automatically be a failure and have zero chances of getting any players that could and would help the Cowboys because according to them only a top 5 pick can do that.
. No one is guaranteeing a top 5 pick would automatically be a good pick. An earlier pick just improves your probability of a successful pick.
Also, I realize it is more advantageous, for our future success, to lose our last 2 games in close games.

kskboys

Reaction score
DET sat a much better QB in Kitna on IR to tank and get Stafford. Was that the owner's decision? I mean, it was obvious.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Christ, this is ridiculous. No matter how much certain people here want the Cowboys to lose for a higher draft pick, it simply is not going to happen. It's not happening with any NFL team, let alone one with an owner who doesn't want to lose anything ever. It is not happening. End of story.
Your not paying attention at all. The players and coaches try to win, but the fans hoping for a brighter future hope the team losses close games at the end of the season.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
So a fan knows what best for the team more than an owner, coach or player?

You haven’t answered any of these questions yet so I’m assuming you either don’t know or realize it will tear down your argument.
Fans often have a different perspective than players and coaches. This is not Rocket Science!
Fanatics on the other hand think they are still on the field, while they are guzzling a beer on their soft sofa.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
So, what the hell are you . And where are you speaking from?

I speak as though I’m a part of the team and franchise. You never play to lose . I’m not sure you can relate in a competitive nature.
I told you I was a Realist. Obviously, we are both sitting at home watching the games. The difference though is I Realize I am a fan, while you are a fanatic. You seem to think you are in the huddle with Dalton, or you may actually think you are Dalton.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
But I consider myself a realist.

Let me ask you this.

If owners, GM’s and coaches know that it’s better to have higher draft choices why are they still trying to win games?
They have to be very careful about blatantly tanking! They lose draft picks if caught.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Tankers...

Why aren’t the Bengals tanking tonite? Why would their competitive nature want to beat the Steelers?

And why these fans truly don’t understand the spirit of the game and fiery competitive nature.
You have no clue what other fans understand about fiery competitive nature. LOL

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I realistically want to win. Draft wherever we land and sign some good free agents. Losing is for losers, it's contagious Because it's easy to do. I am a fan, that's why I want my team to win....
Your coming from a coaches perspective. I’m coming from a Realistic Fans perspective. You only focus on 1 game at a time. I am looking at the big picture. Your way is better for winning games at the end of the year vs crappy teams, when your team has NO chance to win a Super Bowl. My way is better if you want to build your team for a Super Bowl run.

Sometimes if you lose a few battles it makes you stronger, so you can win the War(Superbowl)

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
What fans "want" or "root for" is meaningless. We have no impact on the game.

So either some of you are too thick to realize that or you want to pat yourselves on the back for "rooting" for the future. :muttley:
Of course what we root for has no effect on the team. We can still hope for a certain outcome though.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Give it up man, even if this team lost and ended up with the 4th or 5th pick we are missing the most important piece of the puzzle which is a competent GM who knows how to build a winner. Instead we have a geriatric moron whose knowledge of football wouldn't fill the skull of a fruit fly.
This should be post of the year if Cowboyszone had such a reward.

nobody

Reaction score
Who in their right mind trusts this front office to draft defense well?

75boyz

Reaction score
Your coming from a coaches perspective. I’m coming from a Realistic Fans perspective. You only focus on 1 game at a time. I am looking at the big picture. Your way is better for winning games at the end of the year vs crappy teams, when your team has NO chance to win a Super Bowl. My way is better if you want to build your team for a Super Bowl run.

Sometimes if you lose a few battles it makes you stronger, so you can win the War(Superbowl)

My gosh,
It might as well be integral calculus or quantum physics at this point Crash.

The proverbial inmates led by Jerry are in fact running the asylum.

Some incredibly deep thinkers 'round these parts I tell ya.

The most basic fundamental concepts can't be grasped and I ain't no Rocket Scientist.

Keep punching away Crash and long live the Zone, lol

WTtoolman

Reaction score
Your not paying attention at all. The players and coaches try to win, but the fans hoping for a brighter future hope the team losses close games at the end of the season.
That's exactly my point. Why bother hoping/writing over and over again about something that does not happen?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Actually, my point is that the wins and losses are out of my control, so I root them to win. If they lose and we get a better pick so be it. But I just won't openly want them to lose. I'll worry about the pick at the end of the season. Salud!

blueblood70

Reaction score
With the players we have available right now we cannot consistently stop the run. We cannot consistently run the ball. We are playing our 3rd string tackles. We give up the most points in the NFL. Our defense lacks talent and does not work together because our DC is terrible.

Of course players and coaches want to win every game, because they are actually playing and coaching in the games, but fans, are sitting in their easy chairs just watching the games. Fans have the ability to root for what is best for their team’s future. Some fans, most fans are very short sighted and want instant gratification. So regardless of the circumstances,( see above: we can’t stop the run or run consistently etc.) most fans always want their team to win every game.

I’m not one of these fans. I am a realist. I realize our team has, a snow balls chance in hel_ of making a run in the playoffs. I’m willing to delay my gratification this year, when it comes to team wins, ( I cheer for individual plays and players) to improve our chances of winning a Super Bowl in the future.

If we lose our last 2 games, hopefully in competitive games, we still have a chance for the 4th pick in the draft according to Tankathon stats. ( Carolina needs to beat Washington=50/50, Atlanta needs to beat Tampa Bay=50/50, Houston needs to beat the Bungles=90/10

If we win 1 more game we will be picking between 10-13.

We need the 4th or 5th pick in the draft to give us more options( trade back, etc. ). We need new starters from the draft because we won’t be able to afford many Free Agents. We will come back strong next year with a healthy team and a bunch of early round draft picks!

Losing a couple close games now, helps our team win BIG in the future. Don’t settle for late season wins, (this makes Jerry so happy) which really do hurt our future!

Are you a Realist or a Fanatic?
sorry no fan hopes for losses . dont care look at the jets and Cinci and others who won when they should have lost..thats not sports sorry the draft will pay of regardless of our spot, if you cant find quality day 1 starters at 10 in all 7 rounds they you shouldnt be part of the draft process. Players are found great ones all over the draft.

our current needs on defense shows around 10 isnt a bad place to be to grab our BPA on defense without reaching..

draft picls are not locks fans forget all the busts in the top 10 yearly..just make great picks when its your turn and we will be fine..

my fan hat has nothing to do with anything..players and coaches dont play to lose so as fan i do not expect them to lose and wish for it..I hope they win out..if they dont a year like this makes losses more tolerable because well you get better draft pick and easier schedule next season(also a bit skewed because teams change a lot year to year)

BTW wanting to Lose to SF, Philly, and NY shows you are not much of fan if that ok.. these are hated rivals and no amount of draft stock could make me want to lose..i hope we stomp the guts out of both of them to finish the season..

its a lot different if we were at 1 or 2 and had shot at 1 , the only way any of this tank talk works if you are the team picking first , you truly can take the best player in the draft. However, im still not on board with tanking and the jets seem to not have an issue with slipping to 2 fr a moment and winning, so why should we?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Actually, my point is that the wins and losses are out of my control, so I root them to win. If they lose and we get a better pick so be it. But I just won't openly want them to lose. I'll worry about the pick at the end of the season. Salud!
:hammer:

bigE79

Reaction score
our franchise QB healthy and signed.
our 2 franchise OTs back healthy.
our franchise OG back healthy.
a kick-*** rookie class.
big mike callin' plays.
our DEs with their fingers diggin' dirt.
our DTs eating rb's like krispy kreme donuts.
our LBs tackling.
a cb partner for Diggs.
a s partner for Wilson.
ipso-fatso...solved.
:thumbup:
And a partridge in a pear tree..lol