Trysten Hill's transfer to Nebraska was blocked

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I had hope for the Jaylon pick and definitely was against the Gregory pick. Dude lied to the world on draft day and continued lying about his commitment

What lie?

If you're referring to his intention to stay clean, you have to claim that he intended to break that commitment at the time he made it.

I doubt Gregory intended to screw himself out of tens of millions of dollars. He's got a problem.

Tyrone Crawford and Snake Lee, among others, wrote recommendations for Gregory in his reinstatement application. "Snake" Lee is not known for being soft on slackers who don't live up to commitments to the team.

Two team captains and stand up guys stood up for Gregory. They know him a lot better than you do. I'll take their well informed judgment on Gregory. Maybe you can cut him some slack too.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I wasn't in the room when the decisions were made, so I can only tell you the rumblings that the local columnists and talking heads produced. Randy Shannon has always been a big believer in players practicing hard and executing their assignments well in practice. AJ Wooten worked his tail off so Shannon put him in the starting line-up rather than reward Hill for being complacent. I suspect that if Hill is loafing in practice here then Rod would put him on the bench as well because it's the right thing to do.

I disagree with your assessment that blocking Hill was a PR move and I'm sure they would too. The rumor at the time was that a graduate assistant that went with Frost to Nebraska was actively recruiting Hill after he left, to which UCF was not happy about so they blocked the transfer. If that is the case then good for UCF.

when i said pr move, i meant that they presented it as: they would allow transfers to all schools when they know blocking nebraska would essentially be blocking everything
instead of: blocking transfers to all schools. the article even complimented the head coach on his skill in blocking the transfers.

so your point is that the coaches are virtuous enough that they would undercut their bowl performance because it was "the right thing to do" by not playing their best dl. that is despite the fact that that dl registered 2 sacks and took over the conference championship game the week game. i think it was so ridiculous that national press (millen?) was calling them out for not playing hill in the fiesta bowl.

that sounds real virtuous. if i were an alum, i would be pissed. or instead, the other 2 possibilities are:
1. there were real personal issues between coaches and hill - enough for them to undercut their own chances in the fiesta bowl and having a 2nd undefeated season
2. they wanted to torpedo hill's draft prospects so he would come back. so essentially jeopardize the fiesta bowl for better chances in 2020. that is rational because they were already 12-0 and losing the fiesta bowl would not cause them their jobs. remember the head coach was fired recently from oklahoma as offensive coordinator so he has not been so successful...

Last edited:

waldoputty

Reaction score
No joke. I was jumping rooftops and almost dying and driving like a maniac while saying the stupidest garbage to anyone and everyone while getting into so much trouble I was denied my passport for 13 years.
I had to become a much better person to figure life out and that took the natural maturation process of aging.

nah, i think u were a boy scout

mcduff

Reaction score
yea, but it went beyond that.
no reason hill was played sparingly in the fiesta bowl (which they lost to go 12-1) when he balled out the week before in the championship game with 2 sacks etc...
I’m sure once the relationship soured it was a rocky road. Bottom line, as it always is, the kids choose the coach not the school. Once a coach leaves they should be free to take their scholarship anywhere they please.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
not sure if this totally explains the bad blood between Hill and the new coaches at UCF, but according to: https://www.sportsmediapass.com/2019/01/13/ucf-2018-season-post-mortem/

"Heupel deserves a lot of credit. He was able to limit the amount of disruption while starting to integrate his philosophy into the program. Attrition was surprisingly light. Backup quarterback Noah Vedral left to return to his home state of Nebraska, which didn’t surprise anyone. Other players like Trysten Hill tried to follow, but the school was able to block the transfers. Vedral was willing to drop his scholarship to go to Nebraska. Other players were not. This helped keep the roster largely intact."

who knows Putty. Good post and thought though

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
when i said pr move, i meant that they presented it as: they would allow transfers to all schools when they know blocking nebraska would essentially be blocking everything
instead of: blocking transfers to all schools. the article even complimented the head coach on his skill in blocking the transfers.

so your point is that the coaches are virtuous enough that they would undercut their bowl performance because it was "the right thing to do" by not playing their best dl. that is despite the fact that that dl registered 2 sacks and took over the conference championship game the week game. i think it was so ridiculous that national press (millen?) was calling them out for not playing hill in the fiesta bowl.

that sounds real virtuous. if i were an alum, i would be pissed. or instead, the other 2 possibilities are:
1. there were real personal issues between coaches and hill - enough for them to undercut their own chances in the fiesta bowl and having a 2nd undefeated season
2. they wanted to torpedo hill's draft prospects so he would come back. so essentially jeopardize the fiesta bowl for better chances in 2020. that is rational because they were already 12-0 and losing the fiesta bowl would not cause them their jobs. remember the head coach was fired recently from oklahoma as offensive coordinator so he has not been so successful...

It isn't "my" point at all. Everything that I am passing along is what was reported by the local media and talk radio hosts all last season and something that Shannon himself alluded to. Shannon has been in the Florida pipeline as a coach for a very long time, so I know his coaching and recruiting reputation quite well. What you are accusing him and the team of seems to fall well outside of his reputation. I am interested in knowing if your torpedo theory has any substance. Are you basing this off of anything or is this just your own personal theory?

As far as Hill goes, I really like the kid. He was an absolute fan favorite when he was a freshman, but even as a sophomore there were a few blurbs thrown out about his being a little complacent and he could do a lot better. His lack of playing time last season was disappointing because he has the talent to wreck defenses. Hard to complain when you are winning 20+ games in a row, but it certainly hurt when they played LSU. They had an uphill battle as it was due to missing the heart and soul of their team (Milton), so not having Hill in there hurt a lot.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I’m sure once the relationship soured it was a rocky road. Bottom line, as it always is, the kids choose the coach not the school. Once a coach leaves they should be free to take their scholarship anywhere they please.

yep, kids should not be held prisoners by ncaa behemouths
but the new rules are just another pr twist on the game, it appears to me...

waldoputty

Reaction score
It isn't "my" point at all. Everything that I am passing along is what was reported by the local media and talk radio hosts all last season and something that Shannon himself alluded to. Shannon has been in the Florida pipeline as a coach for a very long time, so I know his coaching and recruiting reputation quite well. What you are accusing him and the team of seems to fall well outside of his reputation. I am interested in knowing if your torpedo theory has any substance. Are you basing this off of anything or is this just your own personal theory?

As far as Hill goes, I really like the kid. He was an absolute fan favorite when he was a freshman, but even as a sophomore there were a few blurbs thrown out about his being a little complacent and he could do a lot better. His lack of playing time last season was disappointing because he has the talent to wreck defenses. Hard to complain when you are winning 20+ games in a row, but it certainly hurt when they played LSU. They had an uphill battle as it was due to missing the heart and soul of their team (Milton), so not having Hill in there hurt a lot.

the team said it allowed players to transfer to anywhere but nebraska. but the team knew the kids wanted to follow the coach to nebraska. if it is not a pr trick, what do you call it? i used to handle pr in some capacity, and i know a pr trick when i see it.

what i am accusing ucf of? the same thing probably more than half the teams are doing? that is why there was the need to change the rules, even though those new rules are just another pr ploy.

the lsu game score was close. yet they did not play their best dl. why? it was already reported that their defense could not stop the other offense and was on the field too long. hill was asked about it and was pissed because he was not allowed out on the field to hep his teammates. i already delineated 3 possibilities:
1. the one you proposed that the 'pure snow-white' coaches benched him because 'it was the right thing to do' - after the same 'pure snow-white' coaches prevent all these kids from transferring when they wanted to transfer.
2. there was a personal vendetta between the coaches and hill. seem pretty silly for them to risk their own careers for a personal vendetta. 2 undefeated seasons and a fiesta bowl win - all because of a personal matter - seem pretty immature and irrational to me.
3. they wanted to hurt hill's draft prospects to 'encourage' hill to return. given they had a 12-0 season to start with, the risk of losing the fiesta bowl was not that big. they would not lose their jobs. having a dominant dl would be a big help for 2020, so that protects their jobs the next season. seems like a cold rational calculation here.

the seemingly irrational behavior was discussed by someone in the national press- probably millen.

please feel free to propose any other possible explanation for the coaches not to play their best dl - when said player registered 2 sacks and had a great game just the week before in the conference championship. and there were reports of their defense being unable to stop the other offense and left out to dry - which pissed off hill when he was asked about it. indeed he said he was not out on the field to help his teammates very much. certainly, you do not mean they are completely incompetent and could not tell which player is better ???

Last edited:

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
the team said it allowed players to transfer to anywhere but nebraska. but the team knew the kids wanted to follow the coach to nebraska. if it is not a pr trick, what do you call it? i used to handle pr in some capacity, and i know a pr trick when i see it.

what i am accusing ucf of? the same thing probably more than half the teams are doing? that is why there was the need to change the rules, even though those new rules are just another pr ploy.

the lsu game score was close. yet they did not play their best dl. why? it was already reported that their defense could not stop the other offense and was on the field too long. hill was asked about it and was pissed because he was not allowed out on the field to hep his teammates. i already delineated 3 possibilities:
1. the one you proposed that the 'pure snow-white' coaches benched him because 'it was the right thing to do' - after the same 'pure snow-white' coaches prevent all these kids from transferring when they wanted to transfer.
2. there was a personal vendetta between the coaches and hill. seem pretty silly for them to risk their own careers for a personal vendetta. 2 undefeated seasons and a fiesta bowl win - all because of a personal matter - seem pretty immature and irrational to me.
3. they wanted to hurt hill's draft prospects to 'encourage' hill to return. given they had a 12-0 season to start with, the risk of losing the fiesta bowl was not that big. they would not lose their jobs. having a dominant dl would be a big help for 2020, so that protects their jobs the next season. seems like a cold rational calculation here.

the seemingly irrational behavior was discussed by someone in the national press- probably millen.

please feel free to propose any other possible explanation for the coaches not to play their best dl - when said player registered 2 sacks and had a great game just the week before in the conference championship. and there were reports of their defense being unable to stop the other offense and left out to dry - which pissed off hill when he was asked about it. indeed he said he was not out on the field to help his teammates very much. certainly, you do not mean they are completely incompetent and could not tell which player is better ???
Well, again. I'm not proposing anything. Just passing on the information. That is quite the conspiracy theory you have, but it is nothing more than that. You are more than welcome to propose such things but I was hoping for something factual. As I said, I like Hill. If he had said something that backed up your claim I would certainly be willing to listen.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Well, again. I'm not proposing anything. Just passing on the information. That is quite the conspiracy theory you have, but it is nothing more than that. You are more than welcome to propose such things but I was hoping for something factual. As I said, I like Hill. If he had said something that backed up your claim I would certainly be willing to listen.

Well, there is a situation that needs an explanation. I delineated 3 explanations including your explanation. Do choose one of the 3 or propose a better explanation!

the lsu game score was close. yet they did not play their best dl. why? it was already reported that their defense could not stop the other offense and was on the field too long. hill was asked about it and was pissed because he was not allowed out on the field to hep his teammates. Here are the 3 discussed possibilities:
1. the one you proposed that the 'pure snow-white' coaches benched him because 'it was the right thing to do' - after the same 'pure snow-white' coaches prevented all these kids from transferring when they wanted to transfer.

Last edited: