Tulsa LB - Zaven Collins

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Jeff Cavanaugh just said on his draft stream that the Cowboys might move on from Jaylon. If that happens they would have to consider Collins. Bugler said on the first draft show of the season that the Cowboys like him. Personally I don’t trust LVE at all so middle linebacker and weak side linebacker might be our first two picks.m if they move on from Jaylon.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Jeff Cavanaugh just said on his draft stream that the Cowboys might move on from Jaylon. If that happens they would have to consider Collins. Bugler said on the first draft show of the season that the Cowboys like him. Personally I don’t trust LVE at all so middle linebacker and weak side linebacker might be our first two picks.m if they move on from Jaylon.
Jaylon's status will all depend on if they have a quality replacement for him. If they do address the need within the firs 2-3 picks, it's quite possible team moves on from Jaylon this off-season. In my opinion, Jaylon will stay another yr, where they will have a season to develop his replacement.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Jaylon's status will all depend on if they have a quality replacement for him. If they do address the need within the firs 2-3 picks, it's quite possible team moves on from Jaylon this off-season. In my opinion, Jaylon will stay another yr, where they will have a season to develop his replacement.
I think he will stay too but there is some smoke. I would feel better if we had better linebackers on the roster. Did you know the only player on defense that is making any money if we get rid of Jaylon would be Tank. I think we need to invest some money in the defense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think he will stay too but there is some smoke. I would feel better if we had better linebackers on the roster. Did you know the only player on defense that is making any money if we get rid of Jaylon would be Tank. I think we need to invest some money in the defense.
Absolutely, they have neglected the defense far too long.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Fans of any team would agree. Ossai is a first round talent. Collins most likely goes in the second round.

Based off of what? He's not athletic enough to be a + off ball LBr and he doesn't know what he's doing as a pass rusher. Ossai ran a 5.0 second 40 as a high school prospect...it's likely improved but I doubt he's going to be a + athlete for either position as a pro.

I wouldn't touch him in the first round.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
The reality is we can’t fix everything at once. Especially since we have become non factors in FA. We have no legitimate DT to anchor against the run. Jaylon is what he is. LVE is like glass and hasn’t looked remotely like the player in his rookie year. And 3 of our top DB’s hit FA this off season.

If Parsons is sitting there when we are up to pick there is no way I’m passing on him. IMO he’s the best defensive player in the draft. I can get my CB in round 2 and navigate the rest of the draft for a Safety and DT.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
I believe it was in the Reggie Robinson (Tulsa) thread in the main forum the day we drafted him last year...I said a name to watch for this year from Tulsa was Zaven Collins...

Zaven was my next door neighbor for several years, we're from the same hometown, known him since he was a lil kid, and Ive known his mom since we were lil kids. I cant say enough about him...great kid, great family, he was valedictorian of his (small) high school class, the whole town (Hominy, OK -population 3000) knew his class was going to be great from a very young age. They went undefeated in football from small kids all the way to high school and won state his senior year. He was in gymnastics as a young kid, multi-sport stand out through high school. He was the quarterback and safety in high school and being "out of position", from a very small school, colleges over looked him, even OU & OSU in state....Tulsa was the only D1 school to offer him a scholarship. He wasnt going to be a quarterback, but he was going to be "something"...another reason why Tulsa redshirted him his freshman year cause they werent sure either. He played TE on the scout team and they thought he would be a safety/backer hybrid like Roy Williams. 3 years later hes an All-American, Butkus Award Runner-up (robbed), & the Nagurski Award winner. He is a great athlete, comes from a family of athletes, he is a Pre-Med/Sports Medicine major, smart, smart kid....I know some Dallas scouts came to more than one of his Tulsa games this season specifically to watch him. I know the Raiders have already contacted his high school head coach about him.

I just talked to his mom on Tuesday night...he just chose Joel Segal as his agent, who also represents Amari Cooper, Khalil Mack, Christian McCaffrey, among others. Zaven flew to Dallas on Wednesday morning to begin training with a famous strength and speed coach in preparation for the combine. Hes going to be a good one...I think hell go somewhere between mid-1st and mid-2nd, small school may work against him again even though they played multiple ranked teams this season. Ive seen a ton of mocks with him in the back half of the 1st round.

Last edited:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I believe it was in the Reggie Robinson (Tulsa) thread in the main forum the day we drafted him last year...I said a name to watch for this year from Tulsa was Zaven Collins...

Zaven was my next door neighbor for several years, we're from the same hometown, known him since he was a lil kid, and Ive known his mom since we were lil kids. I cant say enough about him...great kid, great family, he was valedictorian of his (small) high school class, the whole town (Hominy, OK -population 3000) knew his class was going to be great from a very young age. They went undefeated in football from small kids all the way to high school and won state his senior year. He was in gymnastics as a young kid, multi-sport stand out through high school. He was the quarterback and safety in high school and being "out of position", from a very small school, colleges over looked him, even OU & OSU in state....Tulsa was the only D1 school to offer him a scholarship. He wasnt going to be a quarterback, but he was going to be "something"...another reason why Tulsa redshirted him his freshman year cause they werent sure either. He played TE on the scout team and they thought he would be a safety/backer hybrid like Roy Williams. 3 years later hes an All-American, Butkus Award Runner-up (robbed), & the Nagurski Award winner. He is a great athlete, comes from a family of athletes, he is a Pre-Med/Sports Medicine major, smart, smart kid....I know some Dallas scouts came to more than one of his Tulsa games this season specifically to watch him. I know the Raiders have already contacted his high school head coach about him.

I just talked to his mom on Tuesday night...he just chose Joel Segal as his agent, who also represents Amari Cooper, Khalil Mack, Christian McCaffrey, among others. Zaven flew to Dallas on Wednesday morning to begin training with a famous strength and speed coach in preparation for the combine. Hes going to be a good one...I think hell go somewhere between mid-1st and mid-2nd, small school may work against him again even though they played multiple ranked teams this season. Ive seen a ton of mocks with him in the back half of the 1st round.
Bugler says the Cowboys love him. I have a feeling he will be in their top 3 draft prospects since we fell out of the top 10. Reminds me of the LVE draft year. Broaddus said in March the Cowboys loved him.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Bugler says the Cowboys love him. I have a feeling he will be in their top 3 draft prospects since we fell out of the top 10. Reminds me of the LVE draft year. Broaddus said in March the Cowboys loved him.

I think he becomes the odds on favorite if they are out of that top 10 range. He checks all the boxes at the position that the Cowboys look for.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think he becomes the odds on favorite if they are out of that top 10 range. He checks all the boxes at the position that the Cowboys look for.
You think drafting a linebacker to take Jaylon’s role is the biggest issue with the defense? The defense played better against the Eagles when Jaylon went to middle linebacker and they brought the four corners in the game the defense played better.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You think drafting a linebacker to take Jaylon’s role is the biggest issue with the defense? The defense played better against the Eagles when Jaylon went to middle linebacker and they brought the four corners in the game the defense played better.
I think the Cowboy Defense had success last week cause the Eagles went away from their running game.

Team has defensive needs across the board, including at linebacker. When you look at the prospects to improve the defense in rd 1, it's either going to be a corner or a linebacker.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think the Cowboy Defense had success last week cause the Eagles went away from their running game.

Team has defensive needs across the board, including at linebacker. When you look at the prospects to improve the defense in rd 1, it's either going to be a corner or a linebacker.
I just want them to take the best defensive player. If we lose to Giants I think we can get Parsons because of the offensive firepower at the top of the draft. Any second tier cornerbacks that caught your eye? I am hearing good things about the Georgia corners. I will watch them in a few hours.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I think Collins is going to have to workout really well to climb to the middle of round 1. He’s a big kid. Wish he was a little more of a thumper. There are legitimate questions about his athleticism and fit. We’ll have to wait and see.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I just want them to take the best defensive player. If we lose to Giants I think we can get Parsons because of the offensive firepower at the top of the draft. Any second tier cornerbacks that caught your eye? I am hearing good things about the Georgia corners. I will watch them in a few hours.
Voch Lombardi just did a video breakdown on Parsons. Check it out and let me know if you still want to draft him. I want 1 of the top 2 corners or Pitts if we have a top 10 pick. Don’t really like the 2nd tier corners, today we get to see a few with Georgia and Clemson

cnuball21

Reaction score

Parsons in the 1st and a CB in the 2nd is a homer in for me. Outside of Farley, none of these dudes have legit #1CB potential.

The drop off from the 1st and 2nd round CBS isn’t that big IMO.

cnuball21

Reaction score

That and the Eagles are a horrible team...

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Lombardi is one opinion. Take a look at some of the other expert analysis of Parsons. I’ve seen enough to know that he’s the best defensive prospect in this draft.