UFC 196 busted

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Rousey was a draw why? Because she was female and an unbeatable wrecking machine. That's the only reason why anyone cared. She's not a personality. She doesn't have half the charisma to sell a fight like McGregor. Now she's not unbeatable. People know that. Her invincibility is gone. Her rematch will be huge but anything after that won't be nearly as big as that.

With McGregor you either love him or hate him. He'll be a huge draw until he retires. He didn't come into the UFC unbeaten as Rousey did. He wasn't female. He was just wrecking fools and running his mouth. That hasn't changed. He's still the greatest FW the sport has ever seen and he's going to attempt to take the LW title too. All that will sell big numbers. From people who want to see him do it and people panicked and desperately hoping he won't.

With this fight he's now got the 3 biggest Vegas gates in the UFC's history.

If I'm the UFC I'm far more worried about replacing Rousey's impact than McGregor. Because those two are really the only big draws in the entire sport and if she retires soon like she said she would they will definitely feel the effects of it. McGregor can only fight so many times in a year.

Well, Rousey is still an attractive female, so while her drawing power will not be the same, it will still be pretty high, unlike Holly Holm, Meisha Tate, or who ever.

Yes, McGregor has tons of personality, however, will his trash talking be viewed the same after this loss? Not sure. Guess we'll see the buy numbers from his next fight. UFC 194 had 1.2 million buys, not sure if he breaks that at his next PPV

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, Rousey is still an attractive female, so while her drawing power will not be the same, it will still be pretty high, unlike Holly Holm, Meisha Tate, or who ever.

Yes, McGregor has tons of personality, however, will his trash talking be viewed the same after this loss? Not sure. Guess we'll see the buy numbers from his next fight. UFC 194 had 1.2 million buys, not sure if he breaks that at his next PPV

Huh? In what world is Rousey more attractive than Tate? And if this is the thinking why didn't Gina Carano draw more than Rousey? Is she uglier too?

McGregor's next PPV will soar over 1 million buys. Bookmark it. It's a foregone conclusion.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another thing, take a look at how McGregor handled this loss. Now compare it to how Rousey handled hers. She was seriously unstable as she hid from humanity. Talking about contemplating suicide after the fight.

I have nothing against her but she is not someone I expect to bounce back unaffected. She showed some serious mental weaknesses that's never been present in McGregor.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Connor had no real time to plan or train for a fight at 170 when his training camp up until 10 days before the fight was for 155. Now if you're disagreeing with the planning and saying he just shouldn't have fought at all, well that's a different matter.

Whose fault is that? Connor was calling all the shots. It's his fault if he wasn't prepared.

I respect Connor for backing up his talk though. He's always saying he'll fight anywhere, anytime, at any weight against any one. he was scheduled to fight and he took a fight at 170 to prove he will do exactly what he says. I like that.

Fair enough. But that still doesn't mean he gets a pass for not being prepared.

He'll win the vast majority of his fights at 145 and 155 simply doing what he's always been doing. Now you're right about the heavier weights but I don't really see him fighting up at that higher weight too often, if at all, anymore.

Yeah, he's come back to reality pretty quickly.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It's gone the other way plenty of times too. Why did Joe Duffy leave boxing to get tattoed by Porier a few months ago?

Did Joe Duffy ever possess a world title in boxing?

Mayweather is no question a better boxer but that's all he is. He'd have to deal with the kicking game of McGregor and the ground game, as Mayweather has no experience whatsoever.

McGregor wouldn't want to take Mayweather to the ground. He would want to show off his standup. Besides, what's the point in fighting Mayweather if you're not fighting him standing up?

Second, the defense against kicks is movement. Mayweather is faster and a better ringmaster than the guys Connor fights.

I'd say McGregor ground and pounds him to a stoppage in about a minute and half. Only because of Mayweather running around in a panic for awhile. It would be laughably one sided.

I'd say Mayweather would catch Connor with a body shot and a right hook to the chin, then dance to the corner to get him a blanket for his extended sleep on the canvass.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
That's part of it but that certainly isn't all or even most of it. There are other Irish fighters. Nobody cares.

The Irish turn out for Connor like they do no other Irish fighter. Yes, they DO care.

It's charisma, personality, gift of gab and the ability to back it up. You don't draw like he does being just an Irish phenom. He's the biggest MMA star in America just as well as in Ireland.

Well, that's part of it too.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
It's gone the other way plenty of times too. Why did Joe Duffy leave boxing to get tattoed by Porier a few months ago?

Mayweather is no question a better boxer but that's all he is. He'd have to deal with the kicking game of McGregor and the ground game, as Mayweather has no experience whatsoever.

I'd say McGregor ground and pounds him to a stoppage in about a minute and half. Only because of Mayweather running around in a panic for awhile. It would be laughably one sided.

So you're comparing a World champion boxer to a MMA who did a couple of small time boxing matches?
Give me a break...

So past his prime Mercer who had already made a comeback in boxing (never having really beat what anyone would call a hall of famer) decides to take a shot at the Heavyweight MMA champion, 20 years after he started his pro boxing career mind you, and knocks him out.

Your Joe Duffy starts in MMA, at the pinnacle of his career he takes a shot at boxing, beats 7 nobodies, and returns to MMA (probably because he noticed he had no shot in boxing) and gets his *** handed to him back in MMA and that's your comparison?

Nevermind thinking that a current boxing champion, who many consider to be one of the best ever, would get taken down by a guy, who made a name by beating up on smaller guys, that got beaten by a mid-tier contender the moment he was not the bigger guy...

Puhleaze

tyke1doe

Reaction score
maybe, I don't follow MMA and you may be right, but a loss will effect his appeal to some extent. maybe not among "real" MMA fans, but I don't think he draws casual fans in the same now that he's lost.

And I'm not saying Rousey's a better draw, just I don't think a loss hurts her drawing power as much as it hurts McGregor's

I think his numbers will drop, just a little bit. People liked Connor because of his bravo and his ability to predict the outcome of his fights and back them up. He predicted he'd stop Diaz in the first and didn't.

The magic of that won't be the same any more.

And maybe that's good in a sense. I don't think he paced himself because he was trying to live up to his prediction. So he went full force trying to knock Diaz out and couldn't, which left him gassed in the second round.

Be that as it may, I like Connor, and his persona, but he has a limited future at a heavier weight. Guys will just take him to the ground and finish him off, particularly those 170 lbs. fighters who have a semblance of a boxing and ground game.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The guy hasn't defended his belt once yet and you call him one of the greats of all time. Stop saying he schooled Nate on the feet. Conor got HURT standing. Let me repeat, one of the greats of all time so you call it got beat on the feet in 2 rounds by your middle of the pack LW fighter.

Nate Diaz had no fight camp, and no preparation to fight Conor. He went in and boxed Conor up in the 2nd round to the point where Conor quit mentally and went for a sloppy takedown. He wanted no part of the striking of Diaz anymore.

He needs to stay in his division where he can be successful. At higher weights he is average at best. He will lose to Frankie as well.

I agree with everything you said but the Frankie comment. I'm not as sure about that. I think he can take Frankie, but Frankie is more of a true boxer. Very few MMA fighters throw body shots, upper cuts and other punches traditional boxers throw. Frankie does.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with everything you said but the Frankie comment. I'm not as sure about that. I think he can take Frankie, but Frankie is more of a true boxer. Very few MMA fighters throw body shots, upper cuts and other punches traditional boxers throw. Frankie does.

Frankie's a wrestler first and foremost. If/when he fights McGregor he will look to get the fight to the ground ASAP because he'll be unconscious if he doesn't.

And of course he can take Frankie. He just slayed the supposed greatest. The guy who beat Frankie. They only mention Frankie now because that's pretty much the only guy he hasn't fought yet in the division that worth a bleep. Pay no attention to those idiots.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
James Toney is another. All world boxer who thought he could win an MMA fight. Went in with a very pedestrian striker in Couture and got absolutely murked in the first round.

Completely different combat sport.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Frankie's a wrestler first and foremost. If/when he fights McGregor he will look to get the fight to the ground ASAP because he'll be unconscious if he doesn't.

And of course he can take Frankie. He just slayed the supposed greatest. The guy who beat Frankie. They only mention Frankie now because that's pretty much the only guy he hasn't fought yet in the division that worth a bleep. Pay no attention to those idiots.

Yeah, I think he can take Frankie too.
As an aside, I really think Aldo was juicing. He looked more cut and chiseled in previous fights than he did against Conner. That's not to make an excuse for Aldo against Connor. But I'm a bit suspicious of Aldo.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
James Toney is another. All world boxer who thought he could win an MMA fight. Went in with a very pedestrian striker in Couture and got absolutely murked in the first round.

Completely different combat sport.

You mean James Toney, aka, the Pillsbury Doughboy?

Cmon, Risen. If I give you an equivalent, let's put a 45-year-old Floyd Mayweather against a current Connor McGregor and asked me who I think will win. I'll take Connor, thank you.

But a Mayweather in his prime against Connor in his prime? Mayweather will drop him. Connor is good. But he doesn't have the ringmanship, the speed, the footwork nor the precision Mayweather has.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I think he can take Frankie too.
As an aside, I really think Aldo was juicing. He looked more cut and chiseled in previous fights than he did against Conner. That's not to make an excuse for Aldo against Connor. But I'm a bit suspicious of Aldo.

Of course he was juicing. The guy got the tester arrested and then "accidentally" spilled his sample. All signs of an innocent man.

That stuff runs rampant in Brazil. It's why he's never wanted to fight outside of Brazil and has backed out of 5 title fights in the US. He's a cheat and a coward. McGregor will always be my favorite fighter for KOing him like a child. Nothing that happens from here can take that moment away.

Check the record of Aldo's camp since the stricter testing. Last I looked they were like 3-8 or something like that. It's not a coincidence.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cmon, Risen. If I give you an equivalent, let's put a 45-year-old Floyd Mayweather against a current Connor McGregor and asked me who I think will win. I'll take Connor, thank you.

But a Mayweather in his prime against Connor in his prime? Mayweather will drop him. Connor is good. But he doesn't have the ringmanship, the speed, the footwork nor the precision Mayweather has.

If that's what you believe. Have at it. I'll never believe it. I think it's very ignorant to think a boxer, any boxer, can walk into an MMA cage and beat one of the best in the sport.

That would be like a night off for McGregor and another collected head.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And, btw, when Toney fought Couture, Toney was 42. Couture was 47.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
If that's what you believe. Have at it. I'll never believe it. I think it's very ignorant to think a boxer, any boxer, can walk into an MMA cage and beat one of the best in the sport.

Thanks for describing Holm vs Rousey.

Holm was elite in her striking prior to coming to MMA and has little ground experience. Ronda couldn't even get her to the ground because she was getting picked apart striking.

Szczepanik

Reaction score

I think Frankie has good enough boxing and movement to frustrate Conor. Frankie always uses the volume of output to his advantage and sets up the takedowns through strikes. I could see it being like the Mendes fight but with Conor not being able to get off his back.

We will see though

tyke1doe

Reaction score

I don't think every world class boxer can beat a world class MMA fighter. But it depends on the MMA fighter and his style.

If Royce Gracie in his prime were fighting a Floyd Mayweather in his prime, Gracie would eat him alive. But that's because Royce was a master on the ground, and he was a master at taking fights to the mat.

But Connor McGregor is not. He is more a puncher. And it's not only that he's a punch, he prefers to win that way. It's an ego thing with him. And that type of fighter I don't think can take a world-class boxer.

Remember, styles make fights.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think every world class boxer can beat a world class MMA fighter. But it depends on the MMA fighter and his style.

If Royce Gracie in his prime were fighting a Floyd Mayweather in his prime, Gracie would eat him alive. But that's because Royce was a master on the ground, and he was a master at taking fights to the mat.

But Connor McGregor is not. He is more a puncher. And it's not only that he's a punch, he prefers to win that way. It's an ego thing with him. And that type of fighter I don't think can take a world-class boxer.

Remember, styles make fights.

Conor McGregor is like a jedi master on the ground compared to Floyd Mayweather. If he fought Mayweather he'd look to finish him with ground and pound and he would quite quickly.

Mayweather couldn't beat a single male fighter in the UFC. None.