UFC 196 busted

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I'm McGregor, my experiment at 170 is over. If you can't beat Nate Diaz you aren't a serious title contender there.

Go back to 145 and be the GOAT there.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
so Diaz def McGregor. too bad. i cant do nothing, we cant about that. and no need to look at the highlights, both guys are boring to look at.

what i........ i mean ......what we can do is this; Hope for Ronda vs Tate to happen. PERIOD.

s-l225.jpg

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Okay so like Risen I agree about McGregor. This should tell him that he's not going to be doing 170. He was clearly more tired very quickly last night, not surprising carrying the extra weight, and he's used to just eating punches from the guys at lighter weights. He learned last night he can't walk around with his hands down against guys at the heavier weight classes.

That said props to him for taking the shot at 170, not taking the night off like he could have, and actually fighting anyone at any weight class.

Also this should give some more respect to Nate Diaz. Now I can't stand the Diaz boys, at all, but there has never been any denying that they're talented, tough, fighters. I don't know what this does for him at 170 but I'd assume it's going to push him up.

As for the women's fight it confirmed exactly what I suspected all along. That Holms is a one dimensional fighter and that dimension is the wrong one. If you're only going to be great at one thing it should probably be the ground game since that's where the majority of your fights are going to wind up.

Last night it was clear she can not fight on the ground, at all, and it's going to be what everyone does from now one. She's either going to have to develop an elite sprawl or she's going to wind up on the ground a lot.

Congrats to Miesha finally winning the title. She'll be able to hold it and keep it warm for when they make her defend it against Rousey and Ronda defeats her, yet again.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I agree that McG can't compete for a championship but he should be able to beat Diaz by exhibiting higher fight IQ and not relying on his chin so much.

Will Meisha finally slay her Rousey demon?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I agree that McG can't compete for a championship but he should be able to beat Diaz by exhibiting higher fight IQ and not relying on his chin so much.

Will Meisha finally slay her Rousey demon?

I don't think she will.

She's a very good fighter but she hasn't gotten so much better at anything that she's going to beat Rousey in there. She'll give her a fight, for sure, but she'll wind up submitted again.

I think that's how it will wind up going anyway.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
This proves that Conor needs to stick to fighting midgets. The LW division is a different breed than the 145ers. While Conor has a very good standup game, the LW division will choke him out every time. Way too well rounded of a division for him.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
2016 has not been good for UFC. The PPV buys probably don't reflect that now, but Rhonda Rousey and Conor McGregor likely won't be as big draws in the future.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
2016 has not been good for UFC. The PPV buys probably don't reflect that now, but Rhonda Rousey and Conor McGregor likely won't be as big draws in the future.

I think mcgregor still will because of his personality.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I like McGregor, but he got full of himself. There are weight divisions for a reason. A skilled big man will beat a skilled small man 9.999 times out of 10.
It's just simple physics.
Diaz may have looked flabby, but he fights at a heavier weight. And he can box and has an excellent ground game, unlike Connor.
Connor is going to have to develop a ground game if he's going to fight in the heavier divisions - and I don't know how possible that is.
It's probably good that Connor loss. Rumor has it he was slated to fight Robbie Lawler if he had beaten Diaz. And Robbie would have destroyed him.

And, LOL, on Aldo talking smack about Connor. Uh, dude. You got destroyed by Connor in under 20 seconds. You'd best shut up until you get a rematch - if you ever do.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It seems like the only way to dominate this sport is to either have great takedowns or great take down defense.

It sucked watching those 2 lose last night simply because their opponents were a bad matchup.

I wish UFC 196 wouldn't have happened.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It seems like the only way to dominate this sport is to either have great takedowns or great take down defense.

It sucked watching those 2 lose last night simply because their opponents were a bad matchup.

I wish UFC 196 wouldn't have happened.

It was actually poor planning and training by Connor and Holly. You've got to have either a great take down defense, or you have to have a semblance of a ground game. Connor said he learned from this. I hope that means he'll hire a dedicated jiu jitsu teacher. He just can't win every match with his fist, especially at the heavier weights.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was actually poor planning and training by Connor and Holly. You've got to have either a great take down defense, or you have to have a semblance of a ground game. Connor said he learned from this. I hope that means he'll hire a dedicated jiu jitsu teacher. He just can't win every match with his fist, especially at the heavier weights.

Conor trains with Gunnar Nelson and has for years. Nelson is regarded as one of the top jiu-jitsu fighters in the UFC.

It's just not his forte. You are what you are when you've been in the sport for that long. He's an amazing striker. Best in the UFC, IMO, by a mile. I thought he picked apart Diaz in that fight. Who is a very good boxer in his own right and had the reach advantage. I didn't think Diaz won any portion of that fight until the last 90 seconds or so. McGregor was just carrying too much weight on his frame. He gassed quickly. Something I've never seen before.

I wouldn't doubt he'll meet Diaz again and behead him next time but if I were him I wouldn't take a fight above 155 again. He probably will but I wouldn't.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like McGregor, but he got full of himself. There are weight divisions for a reason. A skilled big man will beat a skilled small man 9.999 times out of 10.
It's just simple physics.
Diaz may have looked flabby, but he fights at a heavier weight. And he can box and has an excellent ground game, unlike Connor.
Connor is going to have to develop a ground game if he's going to fight in the heavier divisions - and I don't know how possible that is.
It's probably good that Connor loss. Rumor has it he was slated to fight Robbie Lawler if he had beaten Diaz. And Robbie would have destroyed him.

And, LOL, on Aldo talking smack about Connor. Uh, dude. You got destroyed by Connor in under 20 seconds. You'd best shut up until you get a rematch - if you ever do.

Robbie Lawler is punch drunk and overrated. I felt he lost both to Hendricks and lost to Condit too. I'd like Conor's chances in that fight even more than Diaz. Lawler doesn't have the sub game to bail him out like Diaz has. It would be a slugfest. One a 27 year old who has never lost on the feet and the other an old 33 who's slurring his words with slow reaction time because of all the damage he's taken over the years. The difference in speed would be staggering and fight altering, IMO.

The bad matchups for McGregor in that division - Rory, Wonderboy.

The good - Lawler, Hendricks.

Nate's kind of a tweener 155-170.