UFC 196 busted

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I think mcgregor still will because of his personality.

to some extent yea, but Rousey and McGregor drew in casual fans in large part because people thought they were unbeatable. Rousey will still draw high because she's attractive, but I think McGregor's numbers will drop.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
Conor trains with Gunnar Nelson and has for years. Nelson is regarded as one of the top jiu-jitsu fighters in the UFC.

It's just not his forte. You are what you are when you've been in the sport for that long. He's an amazing striker. Best in the UFC, IMO, by a mile. I thought he picked apart Diaz in that fight. Who is a very good boxer in his own right and had the reach advantage. I didn't think Diaz won any portion of that fight until the last 90 seconds or so. McGregor was just carrying too much weight on his frame. He gassed quickly. Something I've never seen before.

I wouldn't doubt he'll meet Diaz again and behead him next time but if I were him I wouldn't take a fight above 155 again. He probably will but I wouldn't.

Did you turn off the PPV in the second round? Diaz's volume was accumulating and frustrated Conor. Diaz has the superior boxing and displayed that. The striking from Diaz hurt Conor in the feet and had him wobbled at one point. Diaz was never hurt. We can also ignore when Conor attempted a desperate takedown due to not wanting anymore of Diaz's striking.

If his striking is a mile above an out of camp Diaz brother, he wouldn't of gotten set up for the RNC via strikes.

This isn't based on weight either. Conor used to fight at LW and cut from 170 so this is his natural weight. If you want to claim that Conor's weight cuts helped him out on more size against his inferiority sized opponents, yeah I'll bite.

Diaz would win again and claim another million.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I'll admit I know nothing about MMA and fighting in general, but I do find it funny that so many people claimed that Rhonda Rousey and Conor McGregor would destroy Floyd Mayweather in a no rules fight, yet Rousey lost to a boxer and Szcepanik is saying the difference between Diaz and McGregor, at least on Saturday was Diaz's superior boxing. Now I do think McGregor would win, but just the idea that Rousey could beat not a male, which is not only realistic, but probable, but that she could beat a world class fighter who is a male, is just laughable. Could she catch him off guard, yea, but that would be her only chance.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll admit I know nothing about MMA and fighting in general, but I do find it funny that so many people claimed that Rhonda Rousey and Conor McGregor would destroy Floyd Mayweather in a no rules fight, yet Rousey lost to a boxer and Szcepanik is saying the difference between Diaz and McGregor, at least on Saturday was Diaz's superior boxing. Now I do think McGregor would win, but just the idea that Rousey could beat not a male, which is not only realistic, but probable, but that she could beat a world class fighter who is a male, is just laughable. Could she catch him off guard, yea, but that would be her only chance.

McGregor would destroy Mayweather in an MMA fight. Like a man fighting a boy.

It's not really about being the best boxer, which McGregor clearly is in the UFC, any male MMA fighter would easily dispatch of a novice like Mayweather.

If Floyd hits Ronda he'd KO her stiff but if she could get her hands on him first, fights over. She'll snap his arm off.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

I'm not expert myself but the fight didn't end in a knockout and McGregor bloodied Diaz up damn good. Connor landed plenty of shots and it was ultimately the submission that won the battle. It wasn't like Connor was getting peppered all fight and unable to land punches. The strike total was pretty balanced.

Smith22

Reaction score
I'm not expert myself but the fight didn't end in a knockout and McGregor bloodied Diaz up damn good. Connor landed plenty of shots and it was ultimately the submission that won the battle. It wasn't like Connor was getting peppered all fight and unable to land punches. The strike total was pretty balanced.

Connor got submitted because he ate too many punches in round 2, got desperate and went for a take down. When Diaz started pummeling him with punches on the the ground, Connor gave up his back and the fight was over.

Connor won round 1, but Nate never seemed to be in trouble. Connor was clearly in trouble in round 2, thus the desperation that lead to his loss.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Connor got some good shots in and one that cut Diaz where Diaz was bleeding like a stuck Pig.

However it was Diaz that nailed Connor in the second round that really stunned Connor. He continuted to pepper him with shots and that is when Connor, in desperation, went for a clinch/take down of Diaz which is clearly not what a normal connor would do...and it cost him.

I will say something else that kind of shocked me.

I was stunned how fast McGregor tapped out. Sure Diaz had it clinched in and McGregor was not going to get out but I did not take him for one that would tap out as quickly as he did. For as much bravado as Connor has he normally backs it up and I did not see him being someone who would tap out as fast as he did.

In contrast the fight prior to that one with Tate and Holmes...Joe was saying that Holmes was trying to tap out but I said otherwise and when they showed the review it was clear she was not trying to tap out. She refused to tap out and as she was going nighty night her body was still in fight mode and her arms were trying to throw punches.

Just something I found interesting.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

I agree with the women part. I've been saying this all along before Holly housed Rousey.
And, no, Connor would not beat Mayweather. Mayweather is FAR SUPERIOR to Connor in boxing. The way Connor holds his hands low, Floyd would destroy him. Nor is Connor faster than Floyd.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
McGregor would destroy Mayweather in an MMA fight. Like a man fighting a boy.

It's not really about being the best boxer, which McGregor clearly is in the UFC, any male MMA fighter would easily dispatch of a novice like Mayweather.

If Floyd hits Ronda he'd KO her stiff but if she could get her hands on him first, fights over. She'll snap his arm off.

A washed up Roy Mercer KO'd Tim Sylvia in a matter of seconds.
The danger with pure boxers is that they're experts at all types of punches and delivering them accurately and quickly.
MMA boxers, including Connor, are no where near as skilled as professional boxers like Mayweather.

Szczepanik

Reaction score

Diaz was not in fight shape. No camp and 10 days notice. Diaz could of finished him with strikes but opted for the easy choke.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
It seems like the only way to dominate this sport is to either have great takedowns or great take down defense.

It sucked watching those 2 lose last night simply because their opponents were a bad matchup.

I wish UFC 196 wouldn't have happened.

I'm glad it happened.

Connor learned he's not going to go up to 170 and keep his hands down and just eat punches like he does at 145 and 155. I highly doubt he'll even fight at 170 again, at least not any time soon.

Everyone knows that you either learn to take people down and beat them up there, when the fights go there, or you learn not to be taken down.

Chuck Liddell made a brilliant career out of simply not allowing people to take him down so they had to stand and try to out strike hm.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
It was actually poor planning and training by Connor and Holly. You've got to have either a great take down defense, or you have to have a semblance of a ground game. Connor said he learned from this. I hope that means he'll hire a dedicated jiu jitsu teacher. He just can't win every match with his fist, especially at the heavier weights.

Connor had no real time to plan or train for a fight at 170 when his training camp up until 10 days before the fight was for 155. Now if you're disagreeing with the planning and saying he just shouldn't have fought at all, well that's a different matter.

I respect Connor for backing up his talk though. He's always saying he'll fight anywhere, anytime, at any weight against any one. he was scheduled to fight and he took a fight at 170 to prove he will do exactly what he says. I like that.

He'll win the vast majority of his fights at 145 and 155 simply doing what he's always been doing. Now you're right about the heavier weights but I don't really see him fighting up at that higher weight too often, if at all, anymore.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Connor got submitted because he ate too many punches in round 2, got desperate and went for a take down. When Diaz started pummeling him with punches on the the ground, Connor gave up his back and the fight was over.

Connor won round 1, but Nate never seemed to be in trouble. Connor was clearly in trouble in round 2, thus the desperation that lead to his loss.

I agree for the most part.

Except that at one point in round 1 Connor did clearly hurt Diaz and he didn't go in and try to kill him off as he should have.

I do agree he took too many unnecessary open shots, because he's used to no one being able to hit him hard enough to bother him, and that along with the extra weight he was carrying absolutely killed him in that second round.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A washed up Roy Mercer KO'd Tim Sylvia in a matter of seconds.
The danger with pure boxers is that they're experts at all types of punches and delivering them accurately and quickly.
MMA boxers, including Connor, are no where near as skilled as professional boxers like Mayweather.

It's gone the other way plenty of times too. Why did Joe Duffy leave boxing to get tattoed by Porier a few months ago?

Mayweather is no question a better boxer but that's all he is. He'd have to deal with the kicking game of McGregor and the ground game, as Mayweather has no experience whatsoever.

I'd say McGregor ground and pounds him to a stoppage in about a minute and half. Only because of Mayweather running around in a panic for awhile. It would be laughably one sided.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Connor had no real time to plan or train for a fight at 170 when his training camp up until 10 days before the fight was for 155. Now if you're disagreeing with the planning and saying he just shouldn't have fought at all, well that's a different matter.

I respect Connor for backing up his talk though. He's always saying he'll fight anywhere, anytime, at any weight against any one. he was scheduled to fight and he took a fight at 170 to prove he will do exactly what he says. I like that.

He'll win the vast majority of his fights at 145 and 155 simply doing what he's always been doing. Now you're right about the heavier weights but I don't really see him fighting up at that higher weight too often, if at all, anymore.

He's one of the greats of all time. No question about it.

The story of the fight to me was McGregor schooled Diaz on the feet but his power didn't carry so effectively at 170. He wasn't doing the Diaz pepper shot thing where you're throwing punches at half power. He was throwing haymakers and Nate was able to eat them. Then McGregor gassed.

It's a learning experience. I'd bet my life he'd do better next time. I'd also bet my life Nate Diaz will never have a bigger win in his career. He's a career mid carder who will probably get a title shot now, lose for the 11th time, and then fade back into the prelims.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
to some extent yea, but Rousey and McGregor drew in casual fans in large part because people thought they were unbeatable. Rousey will still draw high because she's attractive, but I think McGregor's numbers will drop.

There's a zero percent chance of that happening. Less than zero. Biggest draw in the game. Bigger than Rousey.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
There's a zero percent chance of that happening. Less than zero. Biggest draw in the game. Bigger than Rousey.

maybe, I don't follow MMA and you may be right, but a loss will effect his appeal to some extent. maybe not among "real" MMA fans, but I don't think he draws casual fans in the same now that he's lost.

And I'm not saying Rousey's a better draw, just I don't think a loss hurts her drawing power as much as it hurts McGregor's

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
maybe, I don't follow MMA and you may be right, but a loss will effect his appeal to some extent. maybe not among "real" MMA fans, but I don't think he draws casual fans in the same now that he's lost.

And I'm not saying Rousey's a better draw, just I don't think a loss hurts her drawing power as much as it hurts McGregor's

Rousey was a draw why? Because she was female and an unbeatable wrecking machine. That's the only reason why anyone cared. She's not a personality. She doesn't have half the charisma to sell a fight like McGregor. Now she's not unbeatable. People know that. Her invincibility is gone. Her rematch will be huge but anything after that won't be nearly as big as that.

With McGregor you either love him or hate him. He'll be a huge draw until he retires. He didn't come into the UFC unbeaten as Rousey did. He wasn't female. He was just wrecking fools and running his mouth. That hasn't changed. He's still the greatest FW the sport has ever seen and he's going to attempt to take the LW title too. All that will sell big numbers. From people who want to see him do it and people panicked and desperately hoping he won't.

With this fight he's now got the 3 biggest Vegas gates in the UFC's history.

If I'm the UFC I'm far more worried about replacing Rousey's impact than McGregor. Because those two are really the only big draws in the entire sport and if she retires soon like she said she would they will definitely feel the effects of it. McGregor can only fight so many times in a year.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
He's one of the greats of all time. No question about it.

The story of the fight to me was McGregor schooled Diaz on the feet but his power didn't carry so effectively at 170. He wasn't doing the Diaz pepper shot thing where you're throwing punches at half power. He was throwing haymakers and Nate was able to eat them. Then McGregor gassed.

It's a learning experience. I'd bet my life he'd do better next time. I'd also bet my life Nate Diaz will never have a bigger win in his career. He's a career mid carder who will probably get a title shot now, lose for the 11th time, and then fade back into the prelims.

The guy hasn't defended his belt once yet and you call him one of the greats of all time. Stop saying he schooled Nate on the feet. Conor got HURT standing. Let me repeat, one of the greats of all time so you call it got beat on the feet in 2 rounds by your middle of the pack LW fighter.

Nate Diaz had no fight camp, and no preparation to fight Conor. He went in and boxed Conor up in the 2nd round to the point where Conor quit mentally and went for a sloppy takedown. He wanted no part of the striking of Diaz anymore.

He needs to stay in his division where he can be successful. At higher weights he is average at best. He will lose to Frankie as well.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And his nationality.

That's part of it but that certainly isn't all or even most of it. There are other Irish fighters. Nobody cares.

It's charisma, personality, gift of gab and the ability to back it up. You don't draw like he does being just an Irish phenom. He's the biggest MMA star in America just as well as in Ireland.