Umpire was out of position

khiladi

Reaction score
I can’t stand Dak as a QB, and I blamed him at first on this play, but I’m not going to sit here and blame him after watching the clip and seeing refs touch the ball all the time to initiate a snap. There is plenty of precedence where this happens as the above GIF demonstrates. Even Romo clearly said at first the ref only has to touch the ball and when the play first happened, he said Cowboys fans should be livid right now.

It wasn’t Dak’s fault period…. it wasn’t Biadasz fault either. It was the fault of the ref.

khiladi

Reaction score
That's not helping. Let's try this: what exactly do you think the ref should have done differently?

Maybe not helping you, but it sure seems to help plenty of other people. I said it clearly.

He should have simply touched the ball LIKE THEY DO ALL THE TIME IN SUCH SCENARIOS instead of moving it twice and allowed the Center to snap it to Dak..

There is ZERO way the ref could have accurately determined the positioning of the ball, ZERO, that he needed to reshuffle the ball in that manner blowing the last chance Dallas had earned by that play.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
I said it clearly. He should have simply touched the ball instead of moving it twice and allowed the Center to snap it to Dak..
So even though the cowboys gave themselves 2 extra yards or more, you are saying he should have ignored that why?

infamousstyles

Reaction score
We had the ball with 2 mins left and a chance to win the game. Just didn’t get it done.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Maybe not helping you, but it sure seems to help plenty of other people. I said it clearly.

He should have simply touched the ball LIKE THEY DO ALL THE TIME IN SUCH SCENARIOS instead of moving it twice and allowed the Center to snap it to Dak..

There is ZERO way the ref could have accurately determined the positioning of the ball, ZERO, that he needed to reshuffle the ball in that manner blowing the last chance Dallas had earned by that play.
He should have also followed the play so he wasn't 20 yards away at the end of the play. It's literally his job to do that.

khiladi

Reaction score
So even though the cowboys gave themselves 2 extra yards or more, you are saying he should have ignored that why?

How can you ignore something that you aren’t in any position to even ignore, because you’re 25 yards away? His whole job was to set the ball and let the Center snap it…

If the ref moved it about 1 foot NOT 2 extra yards, why not move it back two extra yards instead of 1 foot, if it was actually two yards? He already ignored
it..

Like just amazes me people would argue this buffoonery by the ref. He literally knocked the QB and Center down and played with the ball blowing the time off the clock, when time was the only thing that mattered in that context.

That’s what everybody is supposed to be giving primary importance too, the clock ticking away, not 6-12 inches, especially when you were 25 yards away in the first place..

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
How can you ignore something that you aren’t in any position to even make the call?

If the ref moved it about 1 foot not 2 extra yards, why not move it back two extra yards instead of 1 foot?
It's a yes or no question. Your point is he shouldn't have re-spotted it, correct?

khiladi

Reaction score
It's a yes or no question. Your point is he shouldn't have re-spotted it, correct?

Yes, he shouldn’t have re-spotted TWICE it based upon his imagination..

But of course your ignoring all my questions, because if you answer them you would explicitly acknowledge how asinine your position sounds.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Yes, he shouldn’t have re-spotted TWICE it based upon his imagination..
Ok well I think you are completely ignoring a lot of factors many other posters have highlighted, but I'm not going to try to talk you out of it. Have a good night.

khiladi

Reaction score
Ok well I think you are completely ignoring a lot of factors many other posters have highlighted, but I'm not going to try to talk you out of it. Have a good night.

you basically said a player can’t spot the ball as a refutation of my points. When clear evidence was provided from the Cowboys-Rams proving this completely wrong, you simply acted like this claim was never made.

Then you made another bogus excuses to get out of this inaccurate claim that players don’t ‘spot the ball’, which is the ref was correcting the spot of two yards

But of course that was bogus, because he was not in any position to to even judge the spot and his reshuffling was back 6-12 inches and forward about 6-10 inches, which is about 4 feet off a two yard spot.

I’m not ignoring any factors. I’m refuting the many factors involved. It doesn’t matter if it was a stupid play call or what happened at the LOS. What is relevant is the ref came in like a wrecking ball and then blew time off the clock by reshuffling a ball he has no business doing..

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
LOL..

you basically said a player can’t spot the ball as a refutation of my points. When clear evidence was provided from the Cowboys-Rams proving this completely wrong, you simply acted like this claim was never made.

Then you made another bogus excuses to get out of this inaccurate claim that players don’t ‘spot the ball’, which is the ref was correcting the spot of two yards

But of course that was bogus, because he was not in any position to to even judge the spot and his reshuffling was back 6-12 inches and forward about 6-10 inches, which is about 4 feet off a two yard spot.

The Rams/Cowboys example does not somehow imply a player can spot the ball. That’s complete madness to think that’s somehow the center’s responsibility. What, is everyone operating on the honor system, lol?

The center can put the ball wherever he wants and the ref is only required to touch it to acknowledge the spot. That’s if he agrees where the ball is spotted in the first place. If he doesn’t, he will move it accordingly.

The ref in the Rams game clearly blew it because where the ball should have been spotted was missed.

What’s basically being argued is “ahhh, the ref shouldn’t have re-spotted the ball because where Biadasz put it was close enough (even though it wasn’t).”

The ref in yesterday’s game was correct in trying to re-spot the ball. The photo sequence I provided proved that. Even when he did re-spot the ball it was as well off where it should have been.

Last edited:

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
This is great. The thread is trash. The official is always trailing the play and have to touch it. We basically blocked the guy! Sorry the team blew it no matter how many stupid threads
Wow he really broke it down well. Thanks for posting it.

zack

Reaction score
I know there’s a zillion threads about this, but I haven’t seen this posted.

I was in section C312 and I had a perfect view of the final seconds. My friend, seated next to me, was recording those last sections on his cell phone.

Yeah, it probably wasn’t the best play call but what I can tell you is that there was plenty of time still on the clock when Dak slid. He didn’t do anything wrong with the ball. There’s one referee who is charged with placing it.

Now you can call this conspiratal, you can say that this particular referee was daydreaming or maybe he just never expected a QB draw, but he was 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage when the play started and he stayed there until the moment that Dak slid.

Then, and only then, did he start sprinting toward the line to spot the ball. I watched this with my own eyes. No matter what Dak did with the ball or who he handed it to, there was a snowball’s chance in inferno that his referee was going to get there in time. None.

So go ahead and blame Kellen Moore. And trust me, I’m not one to say the fix was in. But the game was a comedy of errors by the officials and that ball should have been spotted with enough time for one more play call.

Remember one more thing:

There were controversial outcomes in the games against both the Raiders and Cardinals. If Dallas wins one of those games, they were playing Philly yesterday. If they win both, they had a bye week.

I get it - play well enough that the outcome can’t come down to a play decided by the referees. OK. But we were robbed yesterday, pure and simple.

Flame away.

I thought the same thing. I said he was way out of place. He should have been right there.

khiladi

Reaction score
The Rams/Cowboys example does not somehow imply a player can spot the ball. That’s complete madness to think that’s somehow the center’s responsibility. Is everyone operating on the honor system?

The center can put the ball wherever he wants and the ref is only required to touch it to acknowledge the spot. That’s if he agrees where the ball is spotted in the first place. If he doesn’t, he will move it accordingly.

The ref in the Rams game clearly blew it because where the ball should have been spotted was missed.

What’s basically being argued is “ahhh, the ref shouldn’t have re-spotted the ball because where Biadasz put it was close enough (even though it wasn’t).”

The ref in yesterday’s game was correct in trying to re-spot the ball. The photo sequence I provided proved that. Even when he did re-spot the ball it was as well off where it should have been.

You just engaging in a bunch of assumptions that have no evidence at all.

The Rams game, there is zero evidence anywhere from you to argue he ref blew it.. Zero evidence.. You just cast it aside by claiming he blew it, though in reality it clearly demonstrates precedence. The term “Complete madness” isn’t evidence..

Romo in fact said multiple times the ref simply had to touch it during the video.

THE REF COULDN’T IN ANY WAY DETERMINE IN ACCURATE SPOT CONSIDERING WHERE HE WAS, meaning the most obvious assumption is he has no clue what he was doing and just guessing. In fact, the last spot of the ref is actually farther away from the original spot from where Dak slid in relation to where Biadasz originally put the ball.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You just engaging in a bunch of assumptions that have no evidence at all.

The Rams game, there is zero evidence anywhere from you to argue he ref blew it.. Zero evidence.. You just cast it aside by claiming he blew it, though in reality it clearly demonstrates precedence. The term “Complete madness” isn’t evidence..

Romo in fact said multiple times the ref simply had to touch it during the video.

THE REF COULDN’T IN ANY WAY DETERMINE IN ACCURATE SPOT CONSIDERING WHERE HE WAS, meaning the most obvious assumption is he has no clue what he was doing and just guessing. In fact, the last spot of the ref is actually farther away from the original spot from where Dak slid in relation to where Biadasz originally put the ball.

Luuuuuulz, says the guy whose entire argument hinges on the assumption “how did the ref even know where to spot it?” The hypocrisy is too rich, lol.

Secondly, there is zero evidence re: the Rams example???

Lol, what are you talking about? The freakin’ gif is on the first post of DOUBLE WING’s thread.

To think the center is responsible for officially spotting the ball is complete buffoonery.

dckid

Reaction score
I know there’s a zillion threads about this, but I haven’t seen this posted.

I was in section C312 and I had a perfect view of the final seconds. My friend, seated next to me, was recording those last sections on his cell phone.

Yeah, it probably wasn’t the best play call but what I can tell you is that there was plenty of time still on the clock when Dak slid. He didn’t do anything wrong with the ball. There’s one referee who is charged with placing it.

Now you can call this conspiratal, you can say that this particular referee was daydreaming or maybe he just never expected a QB draw, but he was 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage when the play started and he stayed there until the moment that Dak slid.

Then, and only then, did he start sprinting toward the line to spot the ball. I watched this with my own eyes. No matter what Dak did with the ball or who he handed it to, there was a snowball’s chance in inferno that his referee was going to get there in time. None.

So go ahead and blame Kellen Moore. And trust me, I’m not one to say the fix was in. But the game was a comedy of errors by the officials and that ball should have been spotted with enough time for one more play call.

Remember one more thing:

There were controversial outcomes in the games against both the Raiders and Cardinals. If Dallas wins one of those games, they were playing Philly yesterday. If they win both, they had a bye week.

I get it - play well enough that the outcome can’t come down to a play decided by the referees. OK. But we were robbed yesterday, pure and simple.

Flame away.
Who cares? It was an idiotic play with 14 seconds left. If you run that going to halftime I am okay not at the end of the game.
They should have won the game by 10 points, the Niners went ultra safe with all the FG’s.
It’s like they didn’t prepare all week.

khiladi

Reaction score
Luuuuuulz, says the guy whose entire argument hinges on the assumption “how did the ref even know where to spot it?”

Secondly, there is zero evidence re: the Rams example???

Lol, what are you talking about? The freakin’ gif is on the first post of DOUBLE WING’s thread.

To think the center is responsible for officially spotting the ball is complete buffoonery.

1. Actual GIF, meaning precedence
2. Basic biology about vision and distance as well as not being able to see through human bodies
3. The ref about 25 yards away from the actual play, completely oblivious to what his job is, which is follow the play, to the point he comes in like a wrecking ball into Dak and the Center
4. Romo saying the ref is just suppose to touch the ball.

All you got is “complete madness”, which ironically hinges on the notion THAT ref made a mistake, while you normally rabidly defend refs as being pretty much infallible and holy,

But lo and behold, the ref in this game can’t be the one who made a mistake, because “complete madness” beats basic biology about Vision and other expert opinions, like that of Romo, who was an actual QB in the NFL.

Keep digging yourself in..

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bottom line is that Dak needs to hand that ball to the official. Who doesn't know that? How in the world can this team "practice" this play and not know to do that???