Undisputed- Stephen Jones says Dak Prescott's deal will have to be team friendly

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It's always nice to see an intellectually overmatched buffoon like Shannon Sharpe expose his agenda and hypocrisy. Suddenly, he's barking out numbers showing what a great three years Prescott has had after bashing him at every turn? Yeah, your slip is showing.

:facepalm:
And he knows it.

He knows what he has said about DAK.

Again..it's just point/counterpoint shtick.

These guys are like we are in the Forum.

Back and forth, even betting Mountain Dews on outcomes.

It's hysterical.

If you do not see the similarities to own debates..

you ain't posting anything worthy of debate.

:huh:

ESisback

Reaction score
It's always nice to see an intellectually overmatched buffoon like Shannon Sharpe expose his agenda and hypocrisy. Suddenly, he's barking out numbers showing what a great three years Prescott has had after bashing him at every turn? Yeah, your slip is showing.

:facepalm:

The ABD’s (Anyone But Dallas) like Sharpe and SAS like to play both sides to ensure a hefty paycheck. SAS is calling Dallas a SB contender, because he knows they’re good, and if they DO get to The Dance, he’ll look like a genius. A Dallashater choosing reality over a singleminded, hateful agenda? Wow, what a guru! If the Cowboys falter, it’s a bigger letdown for Cowboy fans AND a bigger win for him and the huge demo of ABD’s. Win win!

ESisback

Reaction score
The Cowboys are all-in on Dak being the franchise QB going forward. There is no other viable QB waiting in the wings (Rush and White included) and no one in a position of power has even remotely hinted there is a Plan B that doesn’t include Dak.

Stephen Jones has publicly stated more than once that they want Dak extended before the 2019 season, so a deal agreeable to both parties is gonna get done and fairly soon.

Much like the recent D-Law negotiations, which produced much angst here but ended up with both sides being satisfied, Dak’s gonna get paid market-value — with a healthy bonus, per-year salary and guarantee. Some of us will like the numbers, some won’t, but it’s gonna happen.

There’ll be screaming, teeth gnashing, handwringing, condemnation, scoffing, etc., no matter what they do....

Sydla

Reaction score
So he wants the deal done by the start of the season but also wants Dak to sign a team friendly deal?

Yeah, we'll see how that works.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If Dak takes a team friendly deal I'll choke on my cheap whiskey. His team friendly deal was his rookie contract.

Sharpe put Dak top 15 but says he's better than Stafford. Does that make sense to anyone here?

Skip didn't appear to be drunk, but if he thinks Dak is going to accept a 6 year 100M contract there has to be a mind altering substance at work. Even though I along with many others think that's what he's worth, all it takes is another team willing to pay him more, then that's what he's worth. That said, the Cowboys should be careful as to how much they pay him because there aren't a lot of teams in the market for a starting QB. Under a handful. But realistically speaking team friendly would be somewhere in the 24M a year category.

Why do you say that Dak's Rookie deal was a team friendly contract?.

I think what you will see is the Cowboys tagging Dak if he is unwilling to sign. If a team wants him and is willing to sign him, then pay him and give up the picks. I don't see that myself but that could be the case for sure.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Cowboys are all-in on Dak being the franchise QB going forward. There is no other viable QB waiting in the wings (Rush and White included) and no one in a position of power has even remotely hinted there is a Plan B that doesn’t include Dak.

Stephen Jones has publicly stated more than once that they want Dak extended before the 2019 season, so a deal agreeable to both parties is gonna get done and fairly soon.

Much like the recent D-Law negotiations, which produced much angst here but ended up with both sides being satisfied, Dak’s gonna get paid market-value — with a healthy bonus, per-year salary and guarantee. Some of us will like the numbers, some won’t, but it’s gonna happen.

I agree that it's going to happen, as D Law happened, and with the reasons given.

I'd just be more excited if I thought either of them will ever hoist a Lombardi while wearing a Dallas uniform. It feels like the Cowboys are investing in "good enough" rather than great.

Sydla

Reaction score
Why do you say that Dak's Rookie deal was a team friendly contract?.

I think what you will see is the Cowboys tagging Dak if he is unwilling to sign. If a team wants him and is willing to sign him, then pay him and give up the picks. I don't see that myself but that could be the case for sure.

I think this is the way to go.

Make him play out his final year. See how he performs and then make a contract offer. If he plays very well, you pay him that Top 3 contract that some fans are seemingly willing to hand him now anyway. If he doesn't play well, you now have bought yourself some savings because you aren't paying an elite contract to a non-elite QB. You can then make a fairer offer that fits with where Dak fits in the NFL QB pecking order.

Worst case, you just tag him like you said and go from there.

cern

Reaction score
all that I know of Shannon sharp and Stephen smith is what I read on these boards. I never watch them on tv nor would I want to. do people really go out of their way to listen to fools they know will only aggravate them? I just don't get the point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So he wants the deal done by the start of the season but also wants Dak to sign a team friendly deal?

Yeah, we'll see how that works.

Yeah, don't know if that'll happen.

But I'm good with it if it doesn't. People are wisely seeing that unlike the Lawrence situation and his needed surgery, the Cowboys have huge leverage here with Dak. If he doesn't want to give anyone a discount, that fine. He has the right to do that. But the Cowboys also have the right not to pay him now and let him play out this year and franchise tag him for the next year or two.

That's plenty of time for Prescott to establish himself at the top of the salary scale, or plenty of time to show that he's not capable of leading a team to a championship. Everybody can be sure. And it can also give the Cowboys up to three years to look to find another quarterback. Everyone had options here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And he knows it.

He knows what he has said about DAK.

Again..it's just point/counterpoint shtick.

These guys are like we are in the Forum.

Back and forth, even betting Mountain Dews on outcomes.

It's hysterical.

If you do not see the similarities to own debates..

you ain't posting anything worthy of debate.

:huh:

The difference is that I believe in what I'm saying here and it's not some act the way it is for clowns like Sharpe and Screamin' A Smith.

And I'll actually put in the work to support why I say the things I do and feel the way that I do.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think this is the way to go.

Make him play out his final year. See how he performs and then make a contract offer. If he plays very well, you pay him that Top 3 contract that some fans are seemingly willing to hand him now anyway. If he doesn't play well, you now have bought yourself some savings because you aren't paying an elite contract to a non-elite QB. You can then make a fairer offer that fits with where Dak fits in the NFL QB pecking order.

Worst case, you just tag him like you said and go from there.

If they can get a good team friendly deal done, then I am all for doing a deal early but honestly, I see this as a situations where the Cowboys probably are able to do a team friendly deal, assuming this is possible, for only about 3 years, maybe 2. I think that's probably the best possible duration. After that, I think Dak and his agent come back to the well. I don't see them signing a "Team Friendly Deal" for a long period of time because at some point, they are going to want to get paid and I do get that. So, if you want a Team Friendly Deal, say 20 to 22, then I think you accept that it's short term, if at all. If you want him signed for longer, say 5 to 6 years, then I think you are looking at 25 or more.

The key here is to see if Dak can develop into the kind of QB who can carry a team to a championship, a QB who is eventually good enough to be that kind of QB, or is he always going to be a deal where he needs a lot of help around him? Now, two things here, that I believe are tantamount to understand my point of view. First, I don't believe that any QB can consistently be a one man show so I don't really buy into that line of thought. I do acknowledge that others do believe that this can happen. Secondly, I believe that there are two types of posters around this issue. One is the poster who is focused on winning and sees this as a question of trying to fit salary around cap and what will be necessary to fill out the roster with the type of players who are necessary to win championships. The other is the poster who falls more along the lines of paying players what they believe they deserve or what trends dictate. Not saying these posters don't want to win a championship but there focus is not really about that and more so about paying the players what they feel they deserve. I fall into the later.

I personally don't believe that there is a team out there who is going to pay Dak 150 Mil with 100 Guaranteed in the first 4 years or so but there might be. If that team exists, then will they also cough up two 1st's because I believe that is what it will take. JMO

KeepinTime

Reaction score
If Dak takes a team friendly deal I'll choke on my cheap whiskey. His team friendly deal was his rookie contract.

Sharpe put Dak top 15 but says he's better than Stafford. Does that make sense to anyone here?

Skip didn't appear to be drunk, but if he thinks Dak is going to accept a 6 year 100M contract there has to be a mind altering substance at work. Even though I along with many others think that's what he's worth, all it takes is another team willing to pay him more, then that's what he's worth. That said, the Cowboys should be careful as to how much they pay him because there aren't a lot of teams in the market for a starting QB. Under a handful. But realistically speaking team friendly would be somewhere in the 24M a year category.

Better than Stafford? Sorry, no dice. I like that the Cowboys brass are posturing in the cheaper direction but at the same time, if Dak does leave for another team, finding another decent QB ain’t gonna be easy.

dwreck27

Reaction score
If dak takes a deal between 25-28 mill I would be ecstatic..

QB deals are crossing the 30 mill dollar a year range!

If Im Dak I look at it like this... If I lead this team to a Super Bowl I will go down in history for breaking the slump and be held in high regard.... His life after football will be similar to our last two QBs who were decent.. Cushy jobs broadcasting being able to stay around the game

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Why do you think Dak won’t take a team friendly deal like DLaw did?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Better than Stafford? Sorry, no dice. I like that the Cowboys brass are posturing in the cheaper direction but at the same time, if Dak does leave for another team, finding another decent QB ain’t gonna be easy.

I think that the kid out of Georgia is going to be pretty dang good. JMO