Unpopular football opinions

blueblood70

Reaction score
I hope this thread stays in here, we got a few weeks until training camp, but I want to read some unpopular opinions, whether past or present and doesn't have to be Cowboys only.

So my unpopular opinion is I think Peyton Manning is a bit overrated. People always praised his football intelligence, and when he'd go to the line change plays, etc. But the guy averaged 15 interceptions a season . In 17 seasons started he had only one season where he didn't throw double digit interceptions. He was pretty bad in both playoff runs where his team won the Superbowl and didn't deserve Superbowl MVP in either season.
You might be right, in a way,

but you're looking at it one sided...

Peyton Manning was great at being able to be his own offensive coordinator sort of like Tony Romo became the difference though with all those interceptions is like Brett farve you see how many touchdowns they threw.. When you say you averaged about 15 interceptions he averaged almost 32 touchdowns a year entire career he had a couple where he had over 40 in the one year where he had the 55 which set a record.. You didn't realize that scoring especially at that pace can neutralize whatever he might have on the mistakes because he's so confident he can make the plays necessary. What net evident in that battle between Romo and manning the only reason Romo didn't get that win was because he got bumped by throwing on the last drive and it turned into an interception even though it wasn't his fault...

IE the touchdown interception ratio was still great now go look at the touchdown interception ratio of 1 Troy Aikman who played in an offense with a much better run game bigger/better offensive line and typically better defenses and his stat lines are sad in comparison... so I'm going to tell you right now if we're talking about overrated quarterbacks.

I say Troy Aikman's overrated and I know I'm about to get burned but this dude was protected by his offensive coordinator the game plans the run game the offensive line I mean he was on a historically all in type team and he still managed to throw a lot of interceptions...:popcorn: PM 531 tds 251 Ints Farve 508- 336 Romo 248 -117 wow talk about underrated ; troy 165-141 OVERrated? Dak right now 6th all time td-int ratio 202-74 hmm id say way underrated even by our own fan base..now the best all time and by far unfortunately it's Aaron Rodgers also the biggest tool in the mix but his careers impressive...475-105 but 1 SB? dang just for grins BRees 571-243 :popcorn:

I mean this should put it in perspective everyone thought what Drew Brees is safe with the football dude had three straight losing seasons with a great coaching staff a nice roster how does he only have one Super Bowl but dude 243 interceptions I mean maybe you ought to had looked a little further than just Peyton Manning when you compare his counterparts they seem to be very similar...

So when you're looking at a guy who maybe a gunslinger like farve and Peyton Manning you gotta look at their touchdown interception ratio is ridiculous how many touchdowns these guys through compared to their counterparts you get the good and the bad because you got somebody like Daniel Jones who refuses to take any risks and everybody thinks he's safe with the football but he doesn't throw enough touchdowns the man scared to run an offense...

So, I guess it's just about perspective but if you're gonna say someone's overrated then I'm throwing a bomb in here and Troy Aikman is about as overrated as they come he was carried by a great offense... I mean did you look at like Danny white seems to be people say he's underrated he doesn't get enough credit for what he has an upside down touchdown interception ratio that's what I look at how many touchdown did you throw in your touchdown interception ratio not just have a low interception rate and a decent touchdown rate to get you up there on the list but that's why Tony Romo was hated around here because he put a lot of risk but look at how many touchdowns he has as well compared to even our own quarterbacks and I realize they were different eras but if you're willing to Chuck the football and more times than not it's getting you first downs and touchdowns you live with the interceptions...

jwitten82

Reaction score
You might be right, in a way,

but you're looking at it one sided...

Peyton Manning was great at being able to be his own offensive coordinator sort of like Tony Romo became the difference though with all those interceptions is like Brett farve you see how many touchdowns they threw.. When you say you averaged about 15 interceptions he averaged almost 32 touchdowns a year entire career he had a couple where he had over 40 in the one year where he had the 55 which set a record.. You didn't realize that scoring especially at that pace can neutralize whatever he might have on the mistakes because he's so confident he can make the plays necessary. What net evident in that battle between Romo and manning the only reason Romo didn't get that win was because he got bumped by throwing on the last drive and it turned into an interception even though it wasn't his fault...

IE the touchdown interception ratio was still great now go look at the touchdown interception ratio of 1 Troy Aikman who played in an offense with a much better run game bigger/better offensive line and typically better defenses and his stat lines are sad in comparison... so I'm going to tell you right now if we're talking about overrated quarterbacks.

I say Troy Aikman's overrated and I know I'm about to get burned but this dude was protected by his offensive coordinator the game plans the run game the offensive line I mean he was on a historically all in type team and he still managed to throw a lot of interceptions...:popcorn: PM 531 tds 251 Ints Farve 508- 336 Romo 248 -117 wow talk about underrated ; troy 165-141 OVERrated? Dak right now 6th all time td-int ratio 202-74 hmm id say way underrated even by our own fan base..now the best all time and by far unfortunately it's Aaron Rodgers also the biggest tool in the mix but his careers impressive...475-105 but 1 SB? dang just for grins BRees 571-243 :popcorn:

I mean this should put it in perspective everyone thought what Drew Brees is safe with the football dude had three straight losing seasons with a great coaching staff a nice roster how does he only have one Super Bowl but dude 243 interceptions I mean maybe you ought to had looked a little further than just Peyton Manning when you compare his counterparts they seem to be very similar...

So when you're looking at a guy who maybe a gunslinger like farve and Peyton Manning you gotta look at their touchdown interception ratio is ridiculous how many touchdowns these guys through compared to their counterparts you get the good and the bad because you got somebody like Daniel Jones who refuses to take any risks and everybody thinks he's safe with the football but he doesn't throw enough touchdowns the man scared to run an offense...

So, I guess it's just about perspective but if you're gonna say someone's overrated then I'm throwing a bomb in here and Troy Aikman is about as overrated as they come he was carried by a great offense... I mean did you look at like Danny white seems to be people say he's underrated he doesn't get enough credit for what he has an upside down touchdown interception ratio that's what I look at how many touchdown did you throw in your touchdown interception ratio not just have a low interception rate and a decent touchdown rate to get you up there on the list but that's why Tony Romo was hated around here because he put a lot of risk but look at how many touchdowns he has as well compared to even our own quarterbacks and I realize they were different eras but if you're willing to Chuck the football and more times than not it's getting you first downs and touchdowns you live with the interceptions...
You know, I kinda agree about Aikman being a bit overrated. The guy averaged 14 tds a season, regular season Aikman was not all that he was cracked up to be.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Just the first few posts point out what i’ve been saying for a long time, that this fan base isn’t going to be happy with any QB. Three of the top five all-time greatest QBs including the goat are getting crapped on.
Right, that's why I wrote up I think a better perspective of looking at touchdown interception ratio because of what these guys brought on that all those touchdowns are ridiculous and as much as do you want to bring up maybe Tom Brady as being the goat and his number of rings and stats say he is 649tds-212ints and we know Patrick Mahomes might be on that conversation soon, these dudes career touchdowns and their touchdown insurance ratio was pretty damn good...

PM 531 tds 251 Ints Farve 508- 336 Romo 248 -117 wow talk about underrated ; troy 165-141 OVERrated? Dak right now 6th all time td-int ratio 202-74 hmm id say way underrated even by our own fan base..now the best all time and by far unfortunately it's Aaron Rodgers also the biggest tool in the mix but his careers impressive...475-105 but 1 SB? dang just for grins BRees 571-243 :popcorn:

So you're correct they're going to have to destroy Brett Farr Drew Brees some of the others in that same era if they're going to say he's overrated they're all overrated Oh my God every single Hall of Fame quarterback is overrated that means our quarterbacks who have a really nice touchdown interception ratio by the way we're being reamed around here or underrated we get to have the conversation about being very underrated ...LOL

blueblood70

Reaction score
You didn't contribute an unpopular opinion, so I will not "Reax"
so you didn't like it because you're unpopular opinion can be neutralize with facts when you bring in the other quarterbacks in the same era and you bring in their touchdown interception ratios then they all have to be overrated and that means some of ours have to be very underrated if you look at their touchdown interception ratio because you're complaining about his interceptions you forgot to mention that he averaged more than 32 touchdowns every year and set records with touchdowns and a couple years so you have to look at what did he do for his team as far as scoring all those touchdowns and then compare them to the other guys I mean there's only two distinct dudes that could be the goat if you look at the best touchdown interception ratios of all time they'd be Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady but the rest of the guys that we talk about like Drew Brees and Brett farve all in the Hall of Fame it's the same thing they throw a lot of interceptions but they threw so many touchdowns you can excuse some mistakes because they made-up for it in games all the time...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You didn't contribute an unpopular opinion, so I will not "Reax"
Man, are you grumpy this morning. Lol It’s an unpopular opinion that this fanbase wouldn’t be happy with any QB. Some of you think every real good to great QB is overrated. You wouldn’t have been happy with Peyton Manning as your QB. :rolleyes:

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know, I kinda agree about Aikman being a bit overrated. The guy averaged 14 tds a season, regular season Aikman was not all that he was cracked up to be.
He played in a system that was geared towards running the ball. Stats don't always tell the whole story. When in doubt, listen to Jimmy Johnson's opinion on Aikman.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm saying this not to be facetious I mean if you look at the guy a lot of other fan bases think he's overrated I mean look what he had and he still made a lot of mistakes it wasn't just the touchdowns you're right he had some seasons I think the last Super Bowl season he had 12 touchdowns and 12 interceptions I mean we're looking at Daniel Jones here with Daniel Jones doesn't have the talent around him that Troy had and I like Troy and maybe if he was on another team and allowed to be himself you know just say go ahead and be a gunslinger maybe he would have had better numbers but when people say he's on a team he didn't have to have big numbers well when you're on a team that's protecting you with a run game and an offensive line like that and a defense how are you throwing so many interceptions?

So yeah that's my addition to your thread I think my unpopular opinion is Troy Aikman is overrated if you look at his circumstances with open eyes and not Cowboys goggles you'll see that the guy wasn't this perfect quarterback that makes Prescott and Romo look so bad I think you put Prescott Romo on those teams we'd be the same success in my opinion those teams were just stacked.. It's kind of like Matthew Stafford going to the Rams and still leading the league in interceptions with all that talent having two interceptions in the Super bowl I mean sometimes ohh I should say almost all the time it would be nice if our current quarterbacks from the last two decades had that kind of team around them... They're being blamed for so much and it's ridiculous because I'm bringing some perspective in here Roger and Troy had some of the best accumulation of talent not only on both sides of the ball but at the coaching Staffs the game plans they made sure they protected their quarterbacks and yet they still had a pretty weak touchdown interception ratio regardless of the era... I just try to not be a Homer I'm tired of hearing about Romo and Prescott being so bad when you really look at what Troy and Roger had as a team it's not even fair to be blaming them for all this crap..

Tussinman

Reaction score
His defense saved him.
His defense was actually ranked 27th in the NFL that year. They didn't save him, he had almost 5000 yards that season and great playoff stats. You're confusing it with the 2007 team which was the reverse (offense was medicore but defense lead the league in forced fumbles and sacks).
Joe Flacco had the greatest QB run ever and people still use him as an example of QBs that were carried.

That Ravens team gave up over 30 points twice during that playoff run.

Flacco's stats though: 1140 yards, 11 TDs, 0 INTs. 117.2 passer rating.
Same thing with Elis 2nd run. Over 1200 yards, 9 TDs, 1 INT yet his label is always "bus driver". I remember people where like "why are you paying Flacco, all he does it hand the ball off" coming off of that Superbowl run. I swear half this forum doesn't even watch other teams.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He played in a system that was geared towards running the ball. Stats don't always tell the whole story. When in doubt, listen to Jimmy Johnson's opinion on Aikman.
Saying the wrong thing to do is ask his own coach what do you think about player come on dude perspective he was on a run based team it's still threw a **** load of interceptions this man was protected he is basically a bus driver and he still threw a lot of interceptions he made a lot of mistakes there were big games in Super Bowls in the playoffs where he had interceptions and they covered it up go things that you don't get to say Romo and Prescott get so let's keep some perspective here the man was on his team where he wasn't asked to do a lot and he still threw a lot of interceptions that's my point he's overrated that's my hot point of unpopular opinions and I'm gonna say it he's overrated.. I realize it's hard to trust competitions fan base but when people are asked this question who was overrated Troy aikman's name comes up so much in these Facebook polls you have to start believing it yourself stop being a Homer he was a very good quarterback but he was nowhere near on the levels of a Peyton Manning or Drew Brees and nowhere close to Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady who am I picking the two best quarterbacks that would be in somebody's top five all time because they're touchdown interception ratio they have Super Bowl wins but of course Tom Brady's the goat...

But yeah ask his teammates and his lovely coach because you're gonna get an unbiased opinion from them Oh my God dude the unbiased opinion is coming from us I think he was slightly overrated of course he may have been a little different on another team that was more wide open but he already threw so many picks in a run based offense I'm sorry I gotta put the guy unpopular football opinion troy aikman's overrated.. We're not saying he sucked but if you wanna be real this guy would have probably been Baker Mayfield had he been on any other team or maybe it's of Joe Flacco we're not talking about a bad quarterback just talking about an overrated quarterback by looking at how stacked those teams were on both players and coaches I'm sorry.... This is why I should get some credit for going against our great Troy by bringing in an unpopular opinion that's gonna cause a lot of turmoil..

blueblood70

Reaction score
His defense was actually ranked 27th in the NFL that year. They didn't save him, he had almost 5000 yards that season and great playoff stats. You're confusing it with the 2007 team which was the reverse (offense was medicore but defense lead the league in forced fumbles and sacks).

Same thing with Elis 2nd run. Over 1200 yards, 9 TDs, 1 INT yet his label is always "bus driver". I remember people where like "why are you paying Flacco, all he does it hand the ball off" coming off of that Superbowl run. I swear half this forum doesn't even watch other teams.
You have Joe Flacco had one good run in one season that's different yes Eli did it twice but Joe Flacco just like Nick Foles caught fire for one year so they're going to underrate the guy they're going to say negative things about him he was on a team with one of the best defenses of all time a great run game so you can label them any way you want I say he's overrated if you're just counting on the Super bowl he had one run he caught fire one year the one year wonder thing doesn't put you in the conversation with the all time greats....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'd say Peyton's brother, Eli was also overrated.
If anything Eli is underrated. If you listen to fans here, he sucked. Even outside Cowboys Nation some don’t think Eli was that good. During the regular season he really wasn’t that good. His career was built off the two Super Bowl wins over Tom Brady.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If anything Eli is underrated. If you listen to fans here, he sucked. Even outside Cowboys Nation some don’t think Eli was that good. During the regular season he wasn’t that good. His career was built off the two Super Bowl wins over Tom Brady.
I don't know about that I mean maybe he shouldn't get as much negativity thrown his way but the two Super Bowls were great runs but any like 117 and 117 as a record, I mean his touchdown there's such a ratio can't be great.1.5-1; PM 2.15-1 I remember at least three years where he led the league in interceptions.

I'd say he's about on par with Tony Romo and I realize it's going to get flat cause Tony didn't have the playoff runs just saying as a player they're very similar... Ellie's teens caught fire some of the best defenses especially defensive line to ever be assembled during a playoff run.. 366-244 td-int ratio his brother was clearly better but not as big a gap as people make it out to be..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Here's another one, Priest Holmes deserved the NFL MVP award in 2003, and McCaffrey deserved it last season
while McCaffrey deserved to be in the debate as he belonged in the conversation,

let me give you some information I realized the Dallas Cowboys fell short you do realize that Ezekiel elliott's rookie year we're talking about a rookie almost had the same stats as McCaffrey had last year I mean 2023 21 Ttds scrimmage yards for McCaffrey and 1993 16 TTDs scrimmage yards for Ezekiel Elliott and zeke Elliott didn't even get rookie of the year they gave it to Prescott that belonged to Ezekiel Elliott although Prescott being a fourth round pick on a 13 win team and played well enough both of them played well enough in that playoff game they should have advanced fair Rogers once again ruins the Cowboys in the playoffs... I just wanna give Elliot some props this dude's first four years in the league plus his college career he's one of the best backs to ever play and he doesn't get any credit for it because of his short career and yet you have some dudes in the Hall of Fame that their careers were cut short due to injury but they got in anyway a secretly his career was great it wasn't just good maybe just look at his overall college and his first four years in the NFL is ridiculous but his rookie year he put up numbers like that as a rookie!!

So why green McCaffrey should have been in debate I'm gonna have to bring Ezekiel Elliot into this conversation and he got robbed as a rookie not talked about enough and then get suspended when he could have followed it up in 2017 and it came back in 2018 and won another Rushing crown I think he would have done it all three years, so he don't get enough credit at all.. Call it a running back bias but the other ironic thing is Elliot & McCaffrey bowl for 3rd in MVP voting those years...

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score

Na man, that defense was bad going into the play offs. In the ply offs they played their butt's off. Look at the teams they beat on the road.