Unpopular football opinions

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The NFL panders too much to casual fans at the expense of real football fans. Too many rule changes aimed at increasing offensive yardage/scoring, too much trying to appear to be 'cool' in how they present the game. This may work short term, but will cost them in the long term future.

The bedrock of any pro sport is its committed fans. The people who will have a lifelong interest in the sport. Start replacing them with casual fans and you eventually discover that your fanbase is a house of cards when the next 'cool' sport comes along.

Yup. That's one area where I like the CFL. They don't do that as much as the NFL.

leeblair

Reaction score
It’s obvious the Super Bowl was rigged in favor of KC because of Taylor Swift?
It's obvious that the NFL has serious issues with the integrity of the games they broadcast.
In the middle of last year the Chiefs were struggling. After Travis and Taylor took over the news, KC was unstoppable.
Can you add 2 plus 2?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
You know, I kinda agree about Aikman being a bit overrated. The guy averaged 14 tds a season, regular season Aikman was not all that he was cracked up to be.
Aikman is the most under rated Qb of all time. He didn't need big stats in the regular season because Emmitt Smith was the engine of the offense.

In the playoffs Aikman is top 5 all time.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
One thing I will say about Aikman though. He was otherworldly accurate.
People look at his completion % and think it tells the story. His completion % was lower for two reasons. He was so accurate he would put the ball in THE spot to give his guy a chance even if it was very unlikely to be completed. Secondly, when the play wasn't there, he threw the ball away & moved on to the next down.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's obvious that the NFL has serious issues with the integrity of the games they broadcast.
In the middle of last year the Chiefs were struggling. After Travis and Taylor took over the news, KC was unstoppable.
Can you add 2 plus 2?
I hope you’re just looking for a few laughs but I don’t think you are. :laugh: :facepalm:

kskboys

Reaction score
100% agree. What Eli does have going for him is Two Playoff runs that were just not from this planet. His career for the most part was rather ordinary, he was not very much better than average, but in those two runs he took off his panties, put on his big boy pants and stepped up to the plate, so did his defense btw.
You mean like in the SF playoff game where he kept failing but Kyle Williams kept fumbling to bail him out?

Lots of remaking history going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
People look at his completion % and think it tells the story. His completion % was lower for two reasons. He was so accurate he would put the ball in THE spot to give his guy a chance even if it was very unlikely to be completed. Secondly, when the play wasn't there, he threw the ball away & moved on to the next down.
3rdly, a 60% comp was very good for his time.
4thly, we played a downfield O, and a QB playing that type O will have a lower comp% than a short pass O QB. It has nothing to do w/ accuracy.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I think the NFL has become the new WWF, and most, if not all, games are rigged.
Muscle bound athletes are allowed to run up and down the field making plays for the entertainment, but the winners are chosen in a board room and the referees control the outcome.
I think the Dallas/Detroit game was rigged, and Derrick Barnes whiffed on the sack of Dak Prescott for a safety, and the 92 yd touchdown pass was set up to ensure that the fans were in a good mood for Jimmy Johnson's Ring of Honor induction.
I think Dallas was the recipient of at least 4 rigged victories in 2022; the Lions, Colts, Texans, and even the Bears games were all rigged to portray Dallas as an offensive powerhouse with Dak at quarterback because Jerry needed to keep fans hoping.
And I think Taylor Swift is the reason the Kansas City Chiefs went from mediocre to Super Bowl Champions last year.
The NFL wasn't going to miss out on the popularity she brought and the money to be made off of gambling.
Travis Kelce could end up being commissioner one day if he marries Swift.
"Most if not all games are rigged"..............Uhhh, I thought just QBs win or lose all games, especially Dak???? :muttley:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I hope this thread stays in here, we got a few weeks until training camp, but I want to read some unpopular opinions, whether past or present and doesn't have to be Cowboys only.

So my unpopular opinion is I think Peyton Manning is a bit overrated. People always praised his football intelligence, and when he'd go to the line change plays, etc. But the guy averaged 15 interceptions a season . In 17 seasons started he had only one season where he didn't throw double digit interceptions. He was pretty bad in both playoff runs where his team won the Superbowl and didn't deserve Superbowl MVP in either season.
I'll play along.
I think the opposite. I think Peyton Manning is underrated. Probably the GOAT.
7 1st Team All Pro years.
Unitas is closest with 5. Rodgers 4, Brady, Favre, Montana, Marino, Young at 3.
Everyone else 2 and under.

I'll totally give you he was way past his prime in the Broncos playoff run, but that just goes to show me that *team* records don't make the QB.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_QB.htm

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not elite, but competent. 9 TD's in 4 games is bus driverish. Not close to elite.

The elite part is that the Giants D held all 4 opponents under 21 points. Now that is elite.
Eli rode dominant dlines to rings.
A travesty that he'll make the HOF and is ever spoken of in the same sentence as his brother.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
3rdly, a 60% comp was very good for his time.
4thly, we played a downfield O, and a QB playing that type O will have a lower comp% than a short pass O QB. It has nothing to do w/ accuracy.
We'd lean on Emmitt and pass when the down and distance made the run very implausible.
Shorter, Aikman usually had to throw in bad down and distance. Sometimes we'd go play action, but I think that was relatively rare, and often deep low percentage balls.

Flamma

Reaction score
This is my unpopular opinion. I think it was the cornerback's fault more than the play call. But everyone focused on the defensive call. The Raiders were out of timeouts. They have to score. You can second guess the play call all you want. But no way in hell can the CB fall for a double move. Any move by the WR should have been completely ignored. His only job was to keep Ruggs in front of him.

kskboys

Reaction score
Eli rode dominant dlines to rings.
A travesty that he'll make the HOF and is ever spoken of in the same sentence as his brother.
I was actually in shock the first time I heard such talk.

Romo, who I don't consider HOF worthy either, was rated higher than Eli for most of his career. It was actually sadly funny how they would rate Eli higher the year after his super bowl wins, but after a few games of his normal mediocre play he'd drop down to the 8-12 area where he belonged.

Understand, I'm not claiming he sucked, he didn't, he was simply an average QB. Maybe slightly above, whatever.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I think the NFL has become the new WWF, and most, if not all, games are rigged. Muscle bound athletes are allowed to run up and down the field making plays for the entertainment, but the winners are chosen in a board room and the referees control the outcome.
I think the Dallas/Detroit game was rigged, and Derrick Barnes whiffed on the sack of Dak Prescott for a safety, and the 92 yd touchdown pass was set up to ensure that the fans were in a good mood for Jimmy Johnson's Ring of Honor induction.
I think Dallas was the recipient of at least 4 rigged victories in 2022; the Lions, Colts, Texans, and even the Bears games were all rigged to portray Dallas as an offensive powerhouse with Dak at quarterback because Jerry needed to keep fans hoping.
And I think Taylor Swift is the reason the Kansas City Chiefs went from mediocre to Super Bowl Champions last year.
The NFL wasn't going to miss out on the popularity she brought and the money to be made off of gambling.
Travis Kelce could end up being commissioner one day if he marries Swift.
Of course this is you. You believe in opinions vs facts. This is an epidemic in America.

csirl

Reaction score
I don't like the move to teams having 3rd jerseys etc. This seems to have been imported into the NFL by those owners involved in European soccer. It wont be too long before each team will have a new uniform every year and 2nd/3rd uniforms will be random colors ala soccer, where you sometimes cant even tell which teams are playing when you first tune into a game.

What's wrong with home and away uniforms in the teams normal colors?

blueblood70

Reaction score
For that generation Madden absolutely rated Aikman as the best. Not much else to say.
Not much else to say are you now relying on a resource from a video game the dude was overhyped because of the team he was on do you not understand that so yeah much more needs to be said because you need to get your face out of the video games because you're separated from reality this is what's wrong with fantasy football and Madden it breeds generations of people who know nothing about football for themselves I watched the games personally I was in my mid 20s when we were on this 90s run I also saw Danny white play it was the last years of his playing time when he lost to the cats game against San Francisco but I personally have watched every game the Dallas Cowboys have every play since 1980 and I have my own opinion and I'm telling you after watching all these other quarterbacks and watching the teams they were on and the talent they had around them Troy Aikman by definition is overrated if you look at the numbers particularly touchdown interception ratio both in the regular season and the playoffs make him average because he should have been much more prone to not be throwing interceptions and fumbling the football because of the team they were on were run first big *** offensive line great defense great special teams great coaching the man was on a dynasty and yes he was a very good quarterback but he's overrated when you compare him to the other quarterbacks headless around them and just made things happen that's what this is about unpopular opinions and I'm glad I hit a nerve and it's unpopular to say ,

Troy Aikman it's slightly overrated yes that's my opinion and I'm glad it falls on unpopular opinion poll thread... I knew it be unpopular here but I'm tired of hearing about how bad Tony Romo was and Prescott how they can't do it yeah they can't do it because they were not given the same talent and the same advantages that Troy and Roger had that's a fact and I'm sorry that you use madness your resource that's really sad...

Wow everybody we should use Madden for our information now because I've video game should tell us everything we need to know because I have a bunch of little game designers decided to see a quarterback that has three championships and overrated him because of his team... Don't get me wrong I love Troy I do but I can tell you this you put Tony or Prescott on those teams they still have the same success I'm telling you that Romo and Prescott are as talented or more talented than Troy if you don't like it I'm sorry I'm gonna say it because they get so much negativity the last two decades nothing but negativity troy's not untouchable he's not Teflon and I'm here to say the unpopular thing he's slightly overrated..

jwitten82

Reaction score
I'll play along.
I think the opposite. I think Peyton Manning is underrated. Probably the GOAT.
7 1st Team All Pro years.
Unitas is closest with 5. Rodgers 4, Brady, Favre, Montana, Marino, Young at 3.
Everyone else 2 and under.

I'll totally give you he was way past his prime in the Broncos playoff run, but that just goes to show me that *team* records don't make the QB.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_QB.htm
But he played horrible in the playoff run with the Colts the year they won. He threw 3 tds and 7 ints that year in the playoffs.
And he still averaged 15 interceptions a year for his career