Up until now I have steered clear of the Roy Williams debate...

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stealth;1901232 said:
has nothing to do with previous posts, if we had won and roy had a GREAT game I wonder if anyone would be talking about this now...

but we didn't and he didn't and he hasn't........pretty simple.

cml750

Reaction score
Roy is a HUGE liability in pass coverage and now does not even make plays at the line of scrimmage. We need to upgrade this position. Maybe we can resign Hamlin and move him to SS while moving Henry to FS. We would then need to draft or sign a pair of CB's to be the #2 and #3 CB's. Henry would be awesome at FS and while Hamlin may not be great against the run(he is decent), he is light years ahead of Roy "Biscuit" Williams in coverage.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
stealth;1901119 said:
Do you honestly think we could do better though?
thats the biggest issue, I don't think we could, and his play should be judged by every game not just one. He shows up more than he screws up. I really believe that, he has made some great stops this year, and has been playing with a new coach, I believe in him, and moreover believe he is better than average. That's enough for me, maybe my standards aren't high enough.
A little higher up you said that Roy is 'good to great.' Hell, why would we need an upgrade with such a quality guy back there?

I too have avoided this debate like the plague but I'm jumping in. Roy needs to go.

Reaction score
Bleu Star;1900556 said:
I can no longer do it. This guy is a shell of his former self. I don't know if it was Kelly Rowland, a big payday, or what... One thing I am positive of is that this guy can no longer do it in this system. Perhaps he needs to be in a system that allows him to be one dimensional. We ask for more out of our SS. He no longer strikes fear in the hearts of our competitors. They lead him around like a lost puppy all game long. There's definitely something different about this guy and I do not like it at all.

Its simple... He went soft after Kelly dumped him and he found Jesus...

And it wasn't touchdown Jesus he found either..

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Vintage;1901707 said:
I think going forward, we need to add speed. In particular, at ILB and in the secondary. Obviously, they need to be talented too...but we are slow at getting to the ball.

Carpenter and Burnett.....one of them better emerge next year at ILB....it would really do us a world of good.

And then at CB, we need talent. Newman and Henry are solid. But we need a new 3rd, 4th, and possibly 5th CB (unless Ball is worth hanging on to).

And then we gotta figure out the S position. Hamlin, Williams, Watkins, bring someone in.....whatever. This defense looks slow at times, particularly when in coverage and in zone defenses when reacting to whomever catches the ball.
I'm with you on the ILB and given the 'you can't have enough of 'em in the 3-4' philosophy, I say draft one.

And we need another CB. But is that really what's keeping this D from excelling with all this talent on it?

I want a huge run-stuffing NT.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1902238 said:
Its simple... He went soft after Kelly dumped him and he found Jesus...

And it wasn't touchdown Jesus he found either..
He is a bum. Guy can't cover, guy can't unlearn the horsecollar, guy can't find the right Jesus.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I just scrolled through 9 pages looking for Adam's post defending Roy and proving he's still among the top SS's with stats or a video analysis of how nothing that went wrong last night was Roy's responsibility because every play went away from Roy and he was only trying to help.......but I didn't find it anywhere.

That may be the most damning thing for Roy's play yet.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wayne motley;1902258 said:
I just scrolled through 9 pages looking for Adam's post defending Roy and proving he's still among the top SS's with stats or a video analysis of how nothing that went wrong last night was Roy's responsibility because every play went away from Roy and he was only trying to help.......but I didn't find it anywhere.

:laugh2: Funny how every single Sports station on TV and every announcer on every radio station knows, and has known, that Roy is a liability but a select few here continue to defend him. I've stayed clear of all this until now.

All I can say is....if Jerry doesn't come to terms with this Roy Williams thing, we are **@#*! .... :banghead: ...... :bang2:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Come on!You guys are way to harsh.WE'RE 13 AND 3!!!!!Oops, I mean 13 and 4.LOL

MrMom

Reaction score
wayne motley;1902258 said:

you also forgot the old, "but we don't know the coverages they were playing!"

TVMan

Reaction score
I will not defend him again. I wont bash him endlessly, but I will not defend him. He had chances to make a play or two and he simply didn't.

If he is hurt and can't tackle, then go on IR or retire.

Let me be clear, Roy did not lose this game, however, he didn't help win either.

Jacobs tossed him around like a rag doll yesterday.

It is what it is.

He is ours until the end of time.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
utrunner07;1900601 said:
not sure its really a debate any more...more of how do we get rid of him now

I am about to agree......wow...never seen stud player struggle like this

khiladi

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;1901415 said:
Williams should watch this guy play...that's how it's done.

Defending Williams at this point really is unbelievable.

1108317612_7633.jpg

Harrison is another over-rated bum...

khiladi

Reaction score
I believe that on very play Reeves allowed that 22 yarder, Roy Williams had the underneath. And the receiver is making a break towards the sideline, meaning it is a difficult pass to make if Roy is covering him somewhat decently.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Sarge;1902275 said:
:laugh2: Funny how every single Sports station on TV and every announcer on every radio station knows, and has known, that Roy is a liability but a select few here continue to defend him.
It's one thing to isolate Jeremy Shockey on him. As big a degenerate as Shockey is, he's still a very talented TE. But when the Giants isolate some rookie from Western Oregon named Kevin Boss on him and go right at him... That's bad.