Up until now I have steered clear of the Roy Williams debate...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
trickblue;1901682 said:
You are dead on...

But when you are paid to be a playmaker, you make plays...

He was an also-ran out there tonight...
True. But Newman, Henry, Hamlin, etc. were all paid to make plays as well. Lots of guys played "meh" but didn't suck. They just don't get threads about them, which I don't exactly understand.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I think going forward, we need to add speed. In particular, at ILB and in the secondary. Obviously, they need to be talented too...but we are slow at getting to the ball.

Carpenter and Burnett.....one of them better emerge next year at ILB....it would really do us a world of good.

And then at CB, we need talent. Newman and Henry are solid. But we need a new 3rd, 4th, and possibly 5th CB (unless Ball is worth hanging on to).

And then we gotta figure out the S position. Hamlin, Williams, Watkins, bring someone in.....whatever. This defense looks slow at times, particularly when in coverage and in zone defenses when reacting to whomever catches the ball.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
theogt;1901699 said:
True. But Newman, Henry, Hamlin, etc. were all paid to make plays as well. Lots of guys played "meh" but didn't suck. They just don't get threads about them, which I don't exactly understand.

Henry and Hamlin are not paid superstar money like Roy

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Kangaroo;1901709 said:
Henry and Hamlin are not paid superstar money like Roy
Well, gosh, one has a $5 million per year (Henry) contract and the other has a $6 million per year contract (Roy). And I can guarantee you that Hamlin will have a contract in that range.

Where, exactly, is the superstar line drawn?

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1901699 said:

I think this thread is more about his declining level of play throughout the previous 2 or 3 seasons than it is about his pathetic one tackle performance this afternoon.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
theogt;1901699 said:

Well, we should dump them then...

But wait... players from teams say they game plan to iso Roy... and he still doesn't make plays knowing it is coming...

Face it... Roy took the money and ran...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1901730 said:
I think this thread is more about his declining level of play throughout the previous 2 or 3 seasons than it is about his pathetic one tackle performance this afternoon.
Oh good, because based on the OP, I thought this had something to do with this game. Maybe it was the "up until now" part that I was confused about.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
theogt;1901719 said:
Well, gosh, one has a $5 million per year (Henry) contract and the other has a $6 million per year contract (Roy). Where, again, is the superstar line drawn?

And I can guarantee you that Hamlin will have a contract in that range.

Haven't you heard? Roy's a 5-time Pro Bowler and catalytic player. He's also very good in run support as evident in his uh...mmm...let's see...ONE tackle.

But, it was probably a really good tackle.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Cowboyz88;1901739 said:
Haven't you heard? Roy's a 5-time Pro Bowler and catalytic player. He's also very good in run support as evident in his uh...mmm...let's see...ONE tackle.

But, it was probably a really good tackle.

He was extended with an 11.1 million bonus and Hamlin will not sniff an 11 million bonus

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
theogt;1901699 said:

Because Roy's play is so consistently mediocre and so often fails to justify both his contract and his draft status.

mmillman

Reaction score
Roy is a huge liability on defense and every OC knows it obviously.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a player go from truly great to average at best with no injury involved as fast as Roy has. It's inexplicable.

ladiewolve

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1901969 said:
I don't think I've ever seen a player go from truly great to average at best with no injury involved as fast as Roy has. It's inexplicable.
Maybe its just me , but I think he started going down hill because he is afraid to tackle now like he once did..especially with the horse collar rule now. I mean he shouldnt do that anyway, but his agressive side seems too have left him as well.

odog422

Reaction score
Cowboyz88;1900740 said:
Sadly, for some, it's still a debate.

If form holds, tomorrow someone will come in here with TIVO "breakdown" of Roy's play and start espousing his stats and gibberish about how Roy actually played very well. (I guess it's too hard to actually watch a game with a nose buried in a stat book or a football almanac.)

Then, you'll have said poster's fan club coming in here praising the poster, his infallible stats, and of course, Roy's play, while telling the rest of us that we're idiots and don't understand football.

You can bank on it.

Wow Adam REALLY got under your skin a couple weeks ago...

For the love of God man, let it go!!!

anj113

Reaction score
I have been saying this for years. Roy Williams is the most overrated football player in the league. How the hell he was picked as a replacment in the Pro Bowl is a joke. Once Woodson retired this guys career was over.

jbsg02

Reaction score
It seems to be that we are all in an agreement that Roy is more of a liability than a playmaker. I guess we will really find out what the staff thinks of him come march and april when we have a chance of signing or drafting a safety. I'm guessing it' too much of a hit to cut him?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
STSINAZ;1901423 said:
finally woke up...5 years later...maybe you should go back to all your rebuttals and think about changing them now so that you wont waste time arguing them for 5 years...it will save alot of breath...i.e. that jerry is a good GM...

You're special. Jerry's decision making as a GM does not ride solely on the fact that we have a liability at SS. Last time I checked there were 52 other guys out there. :rolleyes: I never reacted either way publicly when Roy was signed to a huge contract so you're blowing smoke as usual.

Now, with that all said... Jerry may have screwed the pooch on this one.

tunahelper

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1900589 said:
I'm tired of all the Roy Williams apologists...

Albert Einstein, "Judge people less on their mistakes than on how they handle their mistakes".

At some point no matter the salary cap cost Dallas must get rid of the problem hanging over this defense.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I didn't read this whole thread, but Roy has lost it IMHO. I was dogging him all day.

As a matter of fact, watching the game up here in CT with Giants fans, when Jacobs and Roy got into the fight, I was screaming to toss them both out and they were screaming no !

Guess we all agreed Jacobs was more important in this game than Roy.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;1900831 said:
I'm not defending Roy. But Killer Davis is NOT better. Go check the tape.

I understand what your saying but, you can't say Roy doesn't suck just because someone else does.