Twitter: Update: Gregory appeal hearing is going forward in NY today - Post #135

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didnt Chicago do the exact same thing with Peppers contract that year? Yet there was zero mention of punishing them...

I honestly don't remember anything about that one. But the Dallas and Washington penalties were a joke that did little more than show the world their obvious collusion. They gave the Players Association the smoking gun themselves and the players never used it.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
True but then again you were the one who was wondering why the hearing couldn't go on with just NFLPA reps present.

A player is entitled to his own representation above the NFLPA. The fact Gregory doesn't have any is a worth reason to postpone a hearing.

No. I was questioning why people believed the agent was the one presenting evidence, etc.

CWR

Reaction score
I really wish we could all just quit with this argument. Does anyone really think Jerry would allow a situation to exist where the owner of a division rival was pulling strings behind the scenes to screw the Cowboys and let the Giants skate on things? It's a ridiculous conspiracy theory that just doesn't hold water. Goodall and Mara would be facing jail time if they were conspiring to commit fraud and collusion against another team. It simply isn't happening.

Can you explain to me why Chicago wasnt penalized for front loading Peppers contract during the uncapped year but Maras two division rivals were? Can you explain why deflating a football was so harshly penalized in comparison to openly breaking league rules with a walkie? Id love to think Jerry wouldn't allow this and all is fair and balanced but some things do not add up.

CWR

Reaction score
I honestly don't remember anything about that one. But the Dallas and Washington penalties were a joke that did little more than show the world their obvious collusion. They gave the Players Association the smoking gun themselves and the players never used it.

Well Ive been wrong before but I do remember being hot about Chicagos contract and the lack of attention it got.

The uncapped year has some teams deciding to dump salary early in the contracts in case a cap returns: TheJulius Peppers deal in Chicago is the perfect example. Peppers received a $6.5 million signing bonus but the Bears also elected to give him a $12.5 million roster bonus in 2010 and a $10.5 million roster bonus in 2011. Peppers will make $20 million in 2010, $11.5 million in 2011 and $9 million in 2012. Were the cap in effect in 2010, Peppers' cap number would be $14.853 million. Fullback Leonard Weaver of the Eagles received a $3.7 million roster bonus in 2010 on a three-year, $11 million contract that included only a $300,000 signing bonus.

CWR

Reaction score
It's not really a conspiracy theory at all.

Remember when the Cowboys and Commanders got penalized for apparently violating cap rules in a year when there were no cap rules? It was Mara who pushed for the punishment and Goodell obliged. Don't you find it a bit odd that after the league has taken a hard stance on domestic punishment and sometimes overreacted for PR reasons, they just hand down a random one game suspension to Josh Brown?

I think you are naïve if you don't believe there are factions within the league office and even among owners that result in some favoritism being played at times.

If you call BS on obvious "conspiracies" you will quickly be lumped in with the tin foil hat group. Because lord knows life is always fair.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
It's not really a conspiracy theory at all.

Remember when the Cowboys and Commanders got penalized for apparently violating cap rules in a year when there were no cap rules? It was Mara who pushed for the punishment and Goodell obliged. Don't you find it a bit odd that after the league has taken a hard stance on domestic punishment and sometimes overreacted for PR reasons, they just hand down a random one game suspension to Josh Brown?

I think you are naïve if you don't believe there are factions within the league office and even among owners that result in some favoritism being played at times.

Yup, the Cowboys and Skins were both penalized for violating the salary cap in an uncapped year. That was BS.

Stryker44

Reaction score
I really wish we could all just quit with this argument. Does anyone really think Jerry would allow a situation to exist where the owner of a division rival was pulling strings behind the scenes to screw the Cowboys and let the Giants skate on things? It's a ridiculous conspiracy theory that just doesn't hold water. Goodall and Mara would be facing jail time if they were conspiring to commit fraud and collusion against another team. It simply isn't happening.

They already did - with the collusion against the Cowboys and the Commanders for loading money into the uncapped year even though there was nothing written that said they couldn't.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Please don't insult my intelligence:

This is NOT A coincidence.

Please. She's a football fan. She's got her team.

That doesn't preclude her from acting in a fair and impartial manner. The argument that she can't is ignorant. But please, do keep posting ridiculous and sexist tweets that support your claims!

tyke1doe

Reaction score

It's more for laughs than anything else - at this point.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
That quote is probably out of context. I doubt Jerry was referring to gaming the system. He was likely referring to getting Gregory straightened out so these issues are behind him.

At least that's the OFFICIAL line. ;)

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Can you explain to me why Chicago wasnt penalized for front loading Peppers contract during the uncapped year but Maras two division rivals were? Can you explain why deflating a football was so harshly penalized in comparison to openly breaking league rules with a walkie? Id love to think Jerry wouldn't allow this and all is fair and balanced but some things do not add up.

First, we don't know and never will know all the relevant facts in the cap penalty case. Common sense says that Dallas and Wash did something different than Chicago did. A league cannot survive if it is conducting witchunts against select teams but not others. As to deflategate, NE was a repeat offender and they were told after spygate that if they were caught again doing anything, the book would be thrown at them. The league covered up the extent of wrongdoing that was spygate and gave them a slap on the wrist to protect the league but part of that punishment was that if anything happened again, the league would go after them hard and deliver the harshest punishment possible. This was reported after spygate but often overlooked or forgotten by those that think the league was wrong for deflategate.

CWR

Reaction score
First, we don't know and never will know all the relevant facts in the cap penalty case. Common sense says that Dallas and Wash did something different than Chicago did. A league cannot survive if it is conducting witchunts against select teams but not others. As to deflategate, NE was a repeat offender and they were told after spygate that if they were caught again doing anything, the book would be thrown at them. The league covered up the extent of wrongdoing that was spygate and gave them a slap on the wrist to protect the league but part of that punishment was that if anything happened again, the league would go after them hard and deliver the harshest punishment possible. This was reported after spygate but often overlooked or forgotten by those that think the league was wrong for deflategate.

Sure, we don't know all the facts within the uncapped year what we do know is that there was no cap but we were penalized as if there was. Chicago was not. I agree with your point about deflate gate. They deserved the punishment they received they also obstructed the investigation. However I think the Giants use of two way radios was very blatant and ignorance is a very weak excuse. Those radios could legitimately have affected the outcome of the game. They got slapped on the wrist and it never developed into the story it merited.

The Natural

Reaction score

That doesn't preclude her from acting in a fair and impartial manner. The argument that she can't is ignorant. But please, do keep posting ridiculous and sexist tweets that support your claims!
Beta post

Texas_Pete

Reaction score

Are you 100% sure this New York Giants season ticket holder - who was partially responsible for Josh Brown only getting a 1 game suspension - will be fair to the hated Dallas Cowboys? I don't:

It’s worth noting, too, that Friel is a lifelong fan of the New York Giants, the team that previously employed Brown.

“[Friel] loves and reveres the New York Giants,” The Daily Beast reported in 2014. “She’s the sort of fan who turned the den of her Brooklyn home into a shrine (painting it Giants blue and red and decorating it with team paraphernalia and a life-size wall-hanging of Eli Manning), boasts season tickets that have been in her family for more than 60 years, and cheers her lungs out at every game at MetLife Stadium in the New Jersey Meadowlands.”

The New York Times detailed that her office includes posters of Phil Simms and Eli Manning. The Boston Globe noted that when she was hired in 2014, taking her children to games and cheering on the Giants was a weekly ritual.

LINK: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/11/...lence-investigator-regarding-ezekiel-elliott/

Former sex crimes prosecutor Lisa Mendelson Friel—who was hired 11 days ago by embattled National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell to help clean up the mess he’s made—loves and reveres the New York Giants.

She’s the sort of fan who turned the den of her Brooklyn home into a shrine (painting it Giants blue and red and decorating it with team paraphernalia and a life-size wall-hanging of Eli Manning), boasts season tickets that have been in her family for more than 60 years, and cheers her lungs out at every game at MetLife Stadium in the New Jersey Meadowlands.

"She’s a rabid Giants fan,” says Friel’s former boss, Linda Fairstein, the famed New York prosecutor-turned-crime novelist. “I can be sitting at home staying good and toasty, watching a game, and she’s out there in all kinds of weather,” Fairstein says. “She knows football inside-out.”

LINK: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/26/can-lisa-friel-save-roger-goodell.html

If she can do her job impartially with integrity, I'd applaud her, but I doubt it.

Sydla

Reaction score

Wasn't the Bears. It was the Raiders and Saints who signed players and front loaded their deals into the 2012 uncapped year.

Their penalty was they didn't get extra cap space that was spread to other teams. At the time, it was raised why they got off essentially with no penalty when they did the same thing as the Skins and Cowboys.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Maybe Jerry made another "taking it to the Supreme Court" threats. :rolleyes:

superonyx

Reaction score