Vander Esch Way younger than typical rookie

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This seems about as good of a time to start developing an excuse narrative.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Well it was just a pre-season game, he's done NFL before in practice, I'm sure he'll be more overwhelmed against Carolina.
If he sees the field. Joe Thomas looks to be the next man up.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I don’t know what the kid will become but he is definitely behind Lee and Jaylon and Wilson looked miles ahead too so that puts him 4th on the depth chart not really what I want from pick 19.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I don’t know what the kid will become but he is definitely behind Lee and Jaylon and Wilson looked miles ahead too so that puts him 4th on the depth chart not really what I want from pick 19.

I get your point, but some mediocre fans want to give him 4 years "to see if" he gets better.

insane.

Batman1980

Reaction score
He's a 1st rounder, you give him at least the year, he's not Barbie.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if he looks like a different player next year. He'll likely add a fair amount of solid muscle. 265 lbs. or more s/b quite possible.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
IT WAS HIS FIRST GAME AS A PRO AFTER 2 WEEKS OF PRACTICE!!!! YOU GUYS ARE NUTS!!!! GO BACK AND CHECK OUT LUKE KUECHLY'S FIRST PRESEASON GAME!!!! I'M GOING TO BED!!!! THIS FORUM IS SOOOOO DISTURBING IT'S CRAZY!!!!!! GOOD NIGHT!!!! TOO MUCH COFFEE!!!!!

DiResta

Reaction score
Yes, it’s unbelievable.
i dont think (most) people have written him off, i cant speak for them but i take it that guys like Alexander dont necessarily dislike Vander Esch, they probably had someone else they wanted at the pick or someone else for the position
if you stand on the table for the guy as they say, when he doesnt meet expectations it isnt just his *** on the line
if like me you think he will end up being a very good player you just have to roll with it
the draft isnt infallible but taking him at 19 wasnt popular with lots of people

one big upside is with Jaylon getting better and Thomas looking good (watch him disappear or be up&down like Fleming, now that hes gotten notice /s)
as long as Lee is healthy they dont have to start him game 1, the more time he spends in the weight room and being mentored by Lee the better he will be

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Consider how very young Vander Esch is as a football player and as a linebacker

-He was drafted after his junior year

-In high school LVE played 8 man football for tiny school. Wasn’t primarily a linebacker.

-With redshirting, injuries and delays getting into the lineup....He only played one full season as college linebacker. One. ONE!

-Guy is still getting used to his body and size. He was just 210 pounds just a couple of years ago.

-From a small town and then onto Boise State...he’s more country kid than anything. Emphasis: kid.

I won’t be suprised if it takes some time for LVE to go from kid to starting linebacker NFL man. I’ll enjoy his journey.
Good perspective, mate!

jay94

Reaction score
Age is so over valued both ways here, who cares. Only because he is a Cowboy it matters how young he is.

reddyuta

Reaction score
It feels like we picked him for the future and an insurance for Lee.

T-RO

Reaction score
i dont think (most) people have written him off, i cant speak for them but i take it that guys like Alexander dont necessarily dislike Vander Esch, they probably had someone else they wanted at the pick or someone else for the position
if you stand on the table for the guy as they say, when he doesnt meet expectations it isnt just his *** on the line
if like me you think he will end up being a very good player you just have to roll with it
the draft isnt infallible but taking him at 19 wasnt popular with lots of people

one big upside is with Jaylon getting better and Thomas looking good (watch him disappear or be up&down like Fleming, now that hes gotten notice /s)
as long as Lee is healthy they dont have to start him game 1, the more time he spends in the weight room and being mentored by Lee the better he will be

He wasn’t my guy on draft day nor was Taco. I say the serious timer starts for both of them day 1 of their second season.

T-RO

Reaction score
Age is so over valued both ways here, who cares. Only because he is a Cowboy it matters how young he is.

With rookies age (experience) matters a ton as it impacts the grading of a player’s *ceiling*. You can find college seniors that are good...but won’t ever get much better. You can find others that are good...that can be crazy good with a little time and development.

Scouts want to know floor and ceiling. In all sports.

LVE was all-conference as a football puppy. That with 5-star size, speed, jump, burst. Now can they grow a dog out of him?

Last edited:

sbark

Reaction score
Well, that's better than Randy white, drafted out of Maryland as a mlb.....didn't work

Switched to dt......the rest is cowboy history lore

Patience with a young kid out of 8 man football in rural utah

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Who is asking for "crazy talent"? How about just plain old first round talent?

Incredible measurables, production, and ability to cover like a safety in a pass happy league.

I would say he was a first round talent.

He just didn’t play at Alabama and had he played at Alabama we would’ve never had the chance to pick him.