Video: TO telling teammate play was to Fasano

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
abersonc;1120926 said:
Mentioned improvising -- not where the play was supposed to go. Like i've said over and over -- Drew sucked -- I have no problem with the benching -- but it wasn't about this play. It was about Drew not fitting on a team with a crap line.

He said that it was supposed to go to the right side...just not to whom on the right side.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
tomson75;1120924 said:
He should have gone to Fasano...end of story.

You could pick apart every failed passing play in any game and draw the same conclusion -- should have thrown to X, should have done Y.

Try it with Manning - the only difference between he and Drew the other night was that Watkins and James dropped easy INTs. He went to the wrong spot over and over -- that's how it works when you have to make quick decisions with DE's bearing down on you.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
tomson75;1120928 said:
He said that it was supposed to go to the right side...just not to whom on the right side.

but all of a sudden the guy who is on film every failed passing play claiming he was open is a great source for information.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
abersonc;1120926 said:
Mentioned improvising -- not where the play was supposed to go -more specifically, not who it was supposed to go to. Like i've said over and over -- Drew sucked -- I have no problem with the benching -- but it wasn't about this play. It was about Drew not fitting on a team with a crap line.
Look, hate to keep flogging a dead horse - I agree with you that Drew is not a bad QB, just makes real bad decisions sometimes. However, Bill did say in the post game interview that the play was designed to go to the other side of the formation. I took it to mean Drew improvised against the called play and that was one of the reasons fpr Romo comming in! My 2 cents.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
abersonc;1120931 said:
You could pick apart every failed passing play in any game and draw the same conclusion -- should have thrown to X, should have done Y.

Try it with Manning - the only difference between he and Drew the other night was that Watkins and James dropped easy INTs. He went to the wrong spot over and over -- that's how it works when you have to make quick decisions with DE's bearing down on you.

Very true, but with this particular play, I think Bledsoe's determination to go to Glenn cost the team points and himself the starting job. He had no intention of going through any reads, he just hucked it out there. He just hasn't been making good decisions with the ball, in the huddle or otherwise. This was just one of many as of late.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
kiheikiwi;1120938 said:
Look, hate to keep flogging a dead horse - I agree with you that Drew is not a bad QB, just makes real bad decisions sometimes. However, Bill did say in the post game interview that the play was designed to go to the other side of the formation. I took it to mean Drew improvised against the called play and that was one of the reasons fpr Romo comming in! My 2 cents.

My 2 cents -- QBs improvise all the time - especially to their favorite receivers -- I'd say that the winning TDs that Glenn caught in several games looked very much like improvising too (Carolina, SF, etc.).

DallasInDC

Reaction score
abersonc;1120926 said:
Mentioned improvising -- not where the play was supposed to go -more specifically, not who it was supposed to go to. Like i've said over and over -- Drew sucked -- I have no problem with the benching -- but it wasn't about this play. It was about Drew not fitting on a team with a crap line.

Actually BP did state in his PC that the play was supposed to go to the other side and that they had the right defensive formation for the play to go to the left. :rolleyes:

DallasInDC

Reaction score
abersonc;1120947 said:
My 2 cents -- QBs improvise all the time - especially to their favorite receivers -- I'd say that the winning TDs that Glenn caught in several games looked very much like improvising too (Carolina, SF, etc.).

Yes, but how many of his INT's were the result of him improvising. Why even have coaches call plays if the QB can do whatever he wants.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
tomson75;1120945 said:
Very true, but with this particular play, I think Bledsoe's determination to go to Glenn cost the team points and himself the starting job. He had no intention of going through any reads, he just hucked it out there. He just hasn't been making good decisions with the ball, in the huddle or otherwise. This was just one of many as of late.

Sure -- but decision making is harder under duress. No time from the line means more crap decisions. It has been that way since the league started. You put an immobile QB under center with a line that can't protect him and well, that's what you get. I doubt Aikman would be better under these conditions -- actually, I doubt Troy would have made it through more than 5 games with that line.

EMMITSWIFT

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc;1120937 said:
but all of a sudden the guy who is on film every failed passing play claiming he was open is a great source for information.
I NEVER COME ON TO CRITICIZE BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ABERSONC >>>>> BE EASY , YOUR MAKING YOURSELF LOOK FOOLISH , REALLY , DREW MADE WAY TO MANY CARELESS THROWS . IT WAS SUPPOSED TO GO TO THE RIGHT , HE DIDNT EVEN LOOK , HE DIDNT CARE .... I BET HE DOES NOW . HE SUCKS , LETS MOVE ON ;)

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DallasInDC;1120953 said:
Yes, but how many of his INT's were the result of him improvising. Why even have coaches call plays if the QB can do whatever he wants.

That's a question that only the experts in this thread can pretend they have an answer to.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
abersonc;1120947 said:
Differance between improviseing a called play and winning - good play son! Improviseing a called play and throwing THAT interseption - take a seat on the bench son!
Lets just agree to disagree on this shall we?

felix360

Reaction score
abersonc;1120906 said:
None of you know who the play was designed for - you read it in Vela's blog and you think you read TO's lips. Don't come here and pretend like you are football experts because you read someone's interpretation of the play.

Every QB in this league has a favorite receiver he tends to look to first. Glenn scored a bunch of TDs with Drew -- many i'm sure on plays not desiged to go to him initially.

That was a crap play and Drew's play has been crap this year. I've got no problem with the switch.

What I do have an issue with is know it alls who don't recognize that maybe if your QB is getting guys come clean to smack him 8-10 times a half that his decision making isn't going to get muddled. Drew doesn't stink as a QB -- he just is a horrible fit for a team with a poor OL.

parcells himself said the play was designed to go the other way

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc;1120959 said:
That's a question that only the experts in this thread can pretend they have an answer to.
Well, with my expertise I count at least one -- you know, the one that this thread is about.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
There is one play that I think is even worse than this one. I can't remember if it was against the Texans or the Titans, but we are on the goal line ready to score,, witten goes in motion from right to left.. and NO ONE COVERS HIM AT ALL,, he is standing by his lonesome and Drew NEVER LOOKED OVER. As a matter of fact,, he snaps the ball before witten is set, causing a penalty that I believe resulted in a FG instead of a TD. But that really stuck out in my mind that Drew is not concerned with what the D is doing at all.. just going to do what he wants to do, regardless.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
EMMITSWIFT;1120958 said:
I NEVER COME ON TO CRITICIZE BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ABERSONC >>>>> BE EASY , YOUR MAKING YOURSELF LOOK FOOLISH , REALLY , DREW MADE WAY TO MANY CARELESS THROWS . IT WAS SUPPOSED TO GO TO THE RIGHT , HE DIDNT EVEN LOOK , HE DIDNT CARE .... I BET HE DOES NOW . HE SUCKS , LETS MOVE ON ;)

Again, not just one play. The accumulation of poor decisions forced in part by poor line play. Bledsoe did suck. But for folks to try to break down a single play and point to that as the reason why he was benched or evidence that he sucks is silly. This is the Kosier-Arrington flap all over. Any one play will make any player look awful.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
abersonc;1120955 said:
Sure -- but decision making is harder under duress. No time from the line means more crap decisions. It has been that way since the league started. You put an immobile QB under center with a line that can't protect him and well, that's what you get. I doubt Aikman would be better under these conditions -- actually, I doubt Troy would have made it through more than 5 games with that line.

No argument there. It's too bad, he sure looked good the first half of last season. I thought we would have seen more of that this year, but alas...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
felix360;1120961 said:
parcells himself said the play was designed to go the other way

and how many plays designed to do one thing do something else? that's what you don't know -- likely far more than you think

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Cowboy4ever;1120966 said:
There is one play that I think is even worse than this one. I can't remember if it was against the Texans or the Titans, but we are on the goal line ready to score,, witten goes in motion from right to left.. and NO ONE COVERS HIM AT ALL,, he is standing by his lonesome and Drew NEVER LOOKED OVER. As a matter of fact,, he snaps the ball before witten is set, causing a penalty that I believe resulted in a FG instead of a TD. But that really stuck out in my mind that Drew is not concerned with what the D is doing at all.. just going to do what he wants to do, regardless.
That one was discussed to death here as well. Bledsoe snapped the ball to catch the defender that was running off the field. Valiant effort, but it was stupid in hindsight because Witten was wide open and if I recall correctly it was already first down and goal, so the best the penalty would have netted us was a yard or two (half the dinstance to the goal).

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
You don't have to be a football coach to understand Drew Bledsoe's performance the past several years going all the way back to the mid to late 90's.

Drew didn't just start doing this kind of thing this year. He's been doing it for years, it's just gotten progressively worse until we reach the point where we are now.

Let's see...in 2000 thru the first 2 games of 2001, the Pats were 5-13. In the last 17 games the Pats played in the 2001 season after Bledsoe was replaced they went 14-3. I'm sure other factors played into that but Brady's ability to play the QB position in a completely different way than Bledsoe was the primary reason for such a dramatic turnaround.