Vikings interested in Trey Lance?

Swagger

Reaction score
What experience has he gained since then?
Well he started 2 games as a rookie plus played in 4 others for the 49ers with 5 TDs plus a rushing TD and 2 Interceptions. They won 1 of those games he started. That is reasonable - it isn't terrible.

He then got injured during the second game as starter the following season.

He's 23 years old with little experience at college level.

He has had 6 months' with McCarthy who has done a very good job at developing a very limited QB like Prescott although obviously even he is unable to overcome the latter melting down in the play offs as that's his trademark/USP.

I don't know how good Lance is and never do you but given that some quarterbacks are far better in actual live game situations, I wouldn't write him off without even seeing him play in pre-season games.

reddyuta

Reaction score
we need to see him play,Jerrys ego is too much for him to trade Lance anyway

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Would you trade him for the Vikings' 11th pick and 4th rounder in exchange for 24 and Lance? Yes, it's asking a lot but he's a QB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That doesn't even make sense. You don't see why we need to clear up cap space to add players who will actually contribute to winning a meaningful game? You can't pay a #3 QB what we will be paying whichever of Rush or Lance is #3
What is 5 million gonna give you in free agency?

shabazz

Reaction score
Most people have written off Lance without even seeing him play for the Cowboys! Ridiculous. Give the guy a chance.
I agree but if Shanahan gave up on a guy that they sacrificed so much to get, it speaks volumes.

We'll see

Swagger

Reaction score
I agree but if Shanahan gave up on a guy that they sacrificed so much to get, it speaks volumes.

We'll see
Perhaps but he might have been in a win now mindset and didn’t want to have a long term development project like Lance. Purdy is more NFL ready and has come in and played extremely well.

Jarntt

Reaction score
What is 5 million gonna give you in free agency?
First off, based on that question, I'm not sure you know how much NFL contracts are completely backloaded, so the short answer is a really good player. Second even if you want to ignore the way NFL contracts work, it's the difference between a $5M and $10M player on a one year deal, which is still significant.

Example: Dalvin Tomlinson (don't focus on your opinion of the player, focus on the contract that was signed) signed a 4 year $57M contract last year. His 2023 cap hit was $4.3M. So that's a $14M per year player that could fit under the cap into a $5M slot

Chasing6

Reaction score
Because they are on rookie deals. You can’t go to free agency and expect to get a quality player for 5 million a year I know they like to bargain bin shop but that’s a bit much.
So we had 31 rookies last year? Hankins was a 31 year old rookie.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

kskboys

Reaction score
Well he started 2 games as a rookie plus played in 4 others for the 49ers with 5 TDs plus a rushing TD and 2 Interceptions. They won 1 of those games he started. That is reasonable - it isn't terrible.

He then got injured during the second game as starter the following season.

He's 23 years old with little experience at college level.

He has had 6 months' with McCarthy who has done a very good job at developing a very limited QB like Prescott although obviously even he is unable to overcome the latter melting down in the play offs as that's his trademark/USP.

I don't know how good Lance is and never do you but given that some quarterbacks are far better in actual live game situations, I wouldn't write him off without even seeing him play in pre-season games.
Fair enough.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Well our best starting LB last year made less than $5M.

So you believe our 12th highest paid player on the team should an emergency QB at $5M.
If they believe he can be a viable option moving forward, $5m is worth it. It will all depend on how they approach Dak this offseason.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would you extend and tie your team to a QB who has proven over and over , no matter how much talent he's surrounded with , and what system he's had tailored to him, HE FOLDS IN BIG GAMES.
I prefer to use the word 'choke'.

giphy.gif

kskboys

Reaction score
If they believe he can be a viable option moving forward, $5m is worth it. It will all depend on how they approach Dak this offseason.
And you cannot compare QB salaries to the salary of any other position. Not in the same realm.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score

We'll see
According to what he told the GM, he had found their QB. Why would he want to keep Lance on the team or sidelines after that? He was all in on Purdy and he had Jimmy G.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
First off, based on that question, I'm not sure you know how much NFL contracts are completely backloaded, so the short answer is a really good player. Second even if you want to ignore the way NFL contracts work, it's the difference between a $5M and $10M player on a one year deal, which is still significant.

Example: Dalvin Tomlinson (don't focus on your opinion of the player, focus on the contract that was signed) signed a 4 year $57M contract last year. His 2023 cap hit was $4.3M. So that's a $14M per year player that could fit under the cap into a $5M slot
And you can’t restructure Martin or anyone else? The only way to clear 5 million is by cutting Lance?

GMO415

Reaction score
Ok but three minutes later on the same podcast Jerry is saying Dak will play out his final year with no extension. So, we would need Lance.