Wade basically tells us why no one been able to rob us of Will McClay

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
As an African American....who see's ZERO African Americans in ownership....and who see's very little in GM/President roles....and only a small few in coaching...I do not want to see qualified candidates like McClay blunted by the egomaniac Jerry Jones. Like I said...it is bigger than my fandom!
I can understand your perspective on African- Americans in leadership roles in the NFL. I think it would apply more in this position if it were Jerry just not giving will McClay the title even though he's earned it. Jerry's never given out the title to any of Will McClay's predecessors such as Tom C. or Jeff Ireland.

Reactions: CWR

kevm3

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think McClay cares all that much about the title of being 'GM'. As long as he gets paid like one, then why fight for a title? Look at how Jerry can be loyal to his guys. He may get a 'title' elsewhere, but he has more margin for error here. If Jerry likes you, your leash gets quite a bit longer than other places. No way Garrett would still be a coach on the vast majority of other teams, but Jerry was patient with him and it's starting to pay dividends. If you're getting GM money with less pressure of always winning the SB, then you stay where you're at. A title is just something to pump up your ego.

Wood

Reaction score
lets just hope McClay son keeps saying stay with Cowboys. Can we send this kid gifts.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
McClay will leave when he is ready to build and or rebuild a team from scratch. I'd bet he is thinking he is about 3/4 of the way their in Dallas and would not be surprised if he leaves in 1-3 years.

What gave you that idea? Please enlighten us with your wisdom?

CWR

Reaction score
Not sure what to say here except what the heck are you talking about? lol.
Jerry gave McClay a job in football and has promoted him to ever increasing roles and salaries.
McClay is universally lauded for draft hits while Jerry gets blame for any mistakes.
Job titles actually mean fairly little UNLESS you are looking to leave.
Your salary and day to day duties matter. McClay is obviously not being treated in any fashion that makes him desire to leave and yet his name will remain the hottest one on the market.
There are few people on the planet with a better job than Will McClay.
Suggesting he must leave is about as goofy as it gets.

Lol exactly! He gets all the credit and Jerry takes all the blame. Pretty sweet set up if you ask me.

CWR

Reaction score
Obviously, no other NFL team has been able to outbid Jerry for McClay's services. He likes Jerry, Stephen & Garrett and he likes the team and
the city. Jerry can pay him any amount it takes to keep him so look for him to stay in BigD for awhile yet.

True. Wether we always agree with him or not Jerry is also committed to winning. On top of that he builds first class facilities and is well known for taking care of his own.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Nobody is entitled to anything. If progress depends on a pronoun assign to an African American man by an "egomaniac" white man then you and I have very different ideas on what true progress is. The Jones's count on McClay to do a very difficult job and responsibly pay him a proper salary.
I can understand your perspective on African- Americans in leadership roles in the NFL. I think it would apply more in this position if it were Jerry just not giving will McClay the title even though he's earned it. Jerry's never given out the title to any of Will McClay's predecessors such as Tom C. or Jeff Ireland.
You do not understand my perspective on African Americans in leadership roles...if you think it is OK for Jerry Jones to retain the title of GM...when anyone who knows anything about football KNOWS he is not a GM. And since Will McClay has proven he can do the job...and Jerry never gives the title to anyone...that is WHY I want him to leave. Again...the Jones keep people around that make them comfortable. That is their right...as owners. And the dollar signs embolden them to install any sort of structure they want without impunity. But the results do not lie. This team has not advanced past the divisional round in over 20 years...yet the same structure remains in place. And like I said....when Jerry is gone from this earth....I can see his son installing the same structure...let's just hope the results will be different.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
You do not understand my perspective on African Americans in leadership roles...if you think it is OK for Jerry Jones to retain the title of GM...when anyone who knows anything about football KNOWS he is not a GM. And since Will McClay has proven he can do the job...and Jerry never gives the title to anyone...that is WHY I want him to leave. Again...the Jones keep people around that make them comfortable. That is their right...as owners. And the dollar signs embolden them to install any sort of structure they want without impunity. But the results do not lie. This team has not advanced past the divisional round in over 20 years...yet the same structure remains in place. And like I said....when Jerry is gone from this earth....I can see his son installing the same structure...let's just hope the results will be different.
I think you are bundling two separate issues. There should be more minorities in upper management roles. Not debatable. Jerry making himself the GM is a separate issue. Jerry is not holding him back, not when he has retained the GM role throughout McClays white predecessors. McClay has even stated that he had opportunities to leave which is what he earned. Jerry is not holding him back, he is choosing to stay. McClay is getting the recognition he deserves in NFL circles, and Jerry the GM dynamic is widely known.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I think you are bundling two separate issues. There should be more minorities in upper management roles. Not debatable. Jerry making himself the GM is a separate issue. Jerry is not holding him back, not when he has retained the GM role throughout McClays white predecessors. McClay has even stated that he had opportunities to leave which is what he earned. Jerry is not holding him back, he is choosing to stay. McClay is getting the recognition he deserves in NFL circles, and Jerry the GM dynamic is widely known.
I did not say Will wanted to leave....I said "I" want him to leave. Why? Because this is bigger than my fandom. I've been a Cowboy fan long before I even knew who Jerry was. And I do not hide the fact that I do not care for Jerry Jones. I care about winning football games. And I feel the strongest impediment to winning football games over the past 20 years is Jerry Jones. And I strongly feel like installing himself as the GM (which he has the right to do)...is just one of many things that have created a culture that has led to the results we have seen over the past 20 years.

kevm3

Reaction score
If you want the cowboys to win, then why would you want Will McClay to leave?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Playing the race card? You suck at it. It doesn't take an Africa America to see that Jerry Jones plays by a different set of rules than most of us but it's not because of the color of his skin, rather it is because of the size of his pocketbook. The title of Cowboy's GM isn't just being kept from an African American man, it's being kept from all men regardless of the color of their skin, that probably goes for the next GM too but it's not racism, it's nepotism. The Cowboys shortcomings over the past 20 years were experienced by all Cowboy's fans not just African Americans.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Playing the race card? You suck at it. It doesn't take an Africa America to see that Jerry Jones plays by a different set of rules than most of us but it's not because of the color of his skin, rather it is because of the size of his pocketbook. The title of Cowboy's GM isn't just being kept from an African American man, it's being kept from all men regardless of the color of their skin, that probably goes for the next GM too but it's not racism, it's nepotism. The Cowboys shortcomings over the past 20 years were experienced by all Cowboy's fans not just African Americans.
I will refrain from taking personal shots at you...because that is not my style...and furthermore....I generally ignore people who I feel cannot debate on my level. But in parting on this topic...I will say this...this is BIGGER than the shortcomings of the Cowboys for me. This about the shortcomings of the NFL when it comes to Executive/Leadership positions. And to do a credible job....in THIS environment...and not be recognized with the proper title...is a detriment to the bigger issue in the NFL. I am fully aware that men of other races have not held this title in Dallas....but it does not nearly have the same impact...because they hold that title in I am going to guess 85% of other eligible situations across the NFL. So to have a more than capable/qualified AA candidate...not be properly recognized...is detrimental to progress. If the status quo goes unchallenged...the benefits of an inclusive society will go unrealized.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
As an African American....who see's ZERO African Americans in ownership....and who see's very little in GM/President roles....and only a small few in coaching...I do not want to see qualified candidates like McClay blunted by the egomaniac Jerry Jones. Like I said...it is bigger than my fandom!

Thank goodness, Will McClay doesn't think the way you do. He loves Jerry.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Thank goodness, Will McClay doesn't think the way you do. He loves Jerry.
Apparently he doesn't...so that should keep everyone around here happy. It's his life...he can do what he wants with it. All I said is what "I" would prefer he did.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I will refrain from taking personal shots at you...because that is not my style...and furthermore....I generally ignore people who I feel cannot debate on my level. But in parting on this topic...I will say this...this is BIGGER than the shortcomings of the Cowboys for me. This about the shortcomings of the NFL when it comes to Executive/Leadership positions. And to do a credible job....in THIS environment...and not be recognized with the proper title...is a detriment to the bigger issue in the NFL. I am fully aware that men of other races have not held this title in Dallas....but it does not nearly have the same impact...because they hold that title in I am going to guess 85% of other eligible situations across the NFL. So to have a more than capable/qualified AA candidate...not be properly recognized...is detrimental to progress. If the status quo goes unchallenged...the benefits of an inclusive society will go unrealized.
Thank you for having style, and even some substance. You are the driver to your own destination, enjoy the journey. Your inherent right to fully participate in society is only limited by your own acceptance of our differences.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
This is the bottom line...African Americans are underrepresented within GM circles...and to have a highly qualified GM candidate that happens to be African American not be properly recognized does nothing to enhance progress.
For what it's worth, I understand your point.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Thank you for understanding his point and not overreacting.