Wade basically tells us why no one been able to rob us of Will McClay

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Playing the race card? You suck at it. It doesn't take an Africa America to see that Jerry Jones plays by a different set of rules than most of us but it's not because of the color of his skin, rather it is because of the size of his pocketbook. The title of Cowboy's GM isn't just being kept from an African American man, it's being kept from all men regardless of the color of their skin, that probably goes for the next GM too but it's not racism, it's nepotism. The Cowboys shortcomings over the past 20 years were experienced by all Cowboy's fans not just African Americans.
You completely missed what he was saying.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
You think so? Should I have been more sympathetic to his plight?
Not saying you should be more sympathetic. But you seem to be slamming him based on his opinion, which I think is legitimate. He's not saying (or at least I didn't get the impression) Jerry Jones is doing him wrong. He's saying he wishes Will McClay would seek out a GM job because in so doing he will represent another African American who has attained to that level. And the more AAs in such positions (and who do well like Ozzie Newsome), the more likely owners will consider AAs for GM positions.

Unfortunately, when you have situations where guys like John Lynch, John Elway and Matt Millen walk into GM jobs with no front office experience, it raises the level of skepticism as to whether owners truly want the best candidate or are they going to rely on the "friendship/relationship" method of promotion - a subjective evaluation process that AAs are often left out of.

Of course, you should be able to do the job and be qualified for GM jobs. And it seems bbailey wants to see McClay get an opportunity to do the job as a GM.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Not saying you should be more sympathetic. But you seem to be slamming him based on his opinion, which I think is legitimate. He's not saying (or at least I didn't get the impression) Jerry Jones is doing him wrong. He's saying he wishes Will McClay would seek out a GM job because in so doing he will represent another African American who has attained to that level. And the more AAs in such positions (and who do well like Ozzie Newsome), the more likely owners will consider AAs for GM positions.

Unfortunately, when you have situations where guys like John Lynch, John Elway and Matt Millen walk into GM jobs with no front office experience, it raises the level of skepticism as to whether owners truly want the best candidate or are they going to rely on the "friendship/relationship" method of promotion - a subjective evaluation process that AAs are often left out of.

Of course, you should be able to do the job and be qualified for GM jobs. And it seems bbailey wants to see McClay get an opportunity to do the job as a GM.
So who's to blame for bbailey missing it when McClay was given opportunities to do the GM job with another NFL organization. It is not the lack of progress keeping McClay from getting a GM job with another team. The job was offered but McClay wisely decided he prefers his job with the Cowboys and Jerry's money. This faux victimization is not helpful. Yes more qualified AA folk should be given equal consideration for these executive jobs but in the case of Will Clay, the offer has been made.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...clay-about-g-m-job-but-hes-staying-in-dallas/

tyke1doe

Reaction score
So who's to blame for bbailey missing it when McClay was given opportunities to do the GM job with another NFL organization. It is not the lack of progress keeping McClay from getting a GM job with another team. The job was offered but McClay wisely decided he prefers his job with the Cowboys and Jerry's money. This faux victimization is not helpful. Yes more qualified AA folk should be given equal consideration for these executive jobs but in the case of Will Clay, the offer has been made.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...clay-about-g-m-job-but-hes-staying-in-dallas/
You're missing his point. He's saying he wishes McClay would have taken those jobs for the very reasons he stated. It has nothing to do with victimization.
It seems you immediately read victimization when he mentioned race. How interesting.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You're missing his point. He's saying he wishes McClay would have taken those jobs for the very reasons he stated. It has nothing to do with victimization.
It seems you immediately read victimization when he mentioned race. How interesting.
He's claiming McClay is being denied the opportunity for a GM job but that is not true, the opportunity was offered. I used the term faux victimization because there is no discrimination taking place here despite bbailey's claim otherwise. He perceives something that is a real problem in our society today, however he is also making the mistake of projecting that problem where it does not exist (with Will McClay).

Last edited:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Because of his affirmation that Jerry is the kind of guy to pay an assistant coach more than a head coach, it's not a leap of logic then to say he might also be the kind of guy to pay a scouting director more than what others pay for a GM.
Jerry likes to coddle his RKGs and, in this case, coddle away Jerry. Will holds an abundance of responsibility for our excellent draft ascension over the past few years.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
He's claiming McClay is being denied the opportunity for a GM job but that is not true, the opportunity was offered. I used the term faux victimization because there is no discrimination taking place here despite bbailey's claim otherwise. He perceives something that is a real problem in our society today, however he is also making the mistake of projecting that problem where it does not exist (with Will McClay).
I don't recall using the term racism. I don't recall playing the "race card" (whatever that means). I am very comfortable and capable of having a conversation about the lack diversity in NFL front offices without delving into what you have alleged. I have plenty of friends and associates of other races. I have plenty of family, friends and associates that are African American. I don't like or dislike them because of anything other than their personality, character etc... When having banter on this forum....I assume that I agree/disagree with people of every race all the time....and I don't disagree or disagree with people based on race....I do it based on the point they are making.

You are well within your right in your desire to "keep the train rolling"...when it comes to Will McClay. So in your mind....pay him whatever is necessary....ignore "titles"...just keep the roster stocked with talent. Will McClay is well within his right to "stay in the shadows"...."fly below the radar"...if that is his desire. All I am saying...because I feel their needs to be more diversity BEYOND the field of play in the NFL...that I...ME....wish he would pick up the phone like John Lynch did...and let an organization that he wants the job of GM.

I would like to assume that we have ALL benefited from sports becoming inclusive ON THE FIELD OF PLAY. And all I am saying that the benefits of being inclusive should not be relegated to the field of play.

manster4ever

Reaction score
Wait until he gets too much of the credit, he will be gone

Can't and won't argue with that. But JJ won't live forever, despite what some people think. When he's gone, I wonder if Stephen will be smart enough to put his ego aside and give Will his just due. (and title)

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't recall using the term racism. I don't recall playing the "race card" (whatever that means). I am very comfortable and capable of having a conversation about the lack diversity in NFL front offices without delving into what you have alleged. I have plenty of friends and associates of other races. I have plenty of family, friends and associates that are African American. I don't like or dislike them because of anything other than their personality, character etc... When having banter on this forum....I assume that I agree/disagree with people of every race all the time....and I don't disagree or disagree with people based on race....I do it based on the point they are making.

You are well within your right in your desire to "keep the train rolling"...when it comes to Will McClay. So in your mind....pay him whatever is necessary....ignore "titles"...just keep the roster stocked with talent. Will McClay is well within his right to "stay in the shadows"...."fly below the radar"...if that is his desire. All I am saying...because I feel their needs to be more diversity BEYOND the field of play in the NFL...that I...ME....wish he would pick up the phone like John Lynch did...and let an organization that he wants the job of GM.

I would like to assume that we have ALL benefited from sports becoming inclusive ON THE FIELD OF PLAY. And all I am saying that the benefits of being inclusive should not be relegated to the field of play.
Not everyone can be an activist for Martin Luther King Jr's "dream", some folks have stopped long enough to smell the roses and now spend their time living the dream, maybe Will McClay is one of them.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Can't and won't argue with that. But JJ won't live forever, despite what some people think. When he's gone, I wonder if Stephen will be smart enough to put his ego aside and give Will his just due. (and title)
You know it will probably end up being a stark difference in ownership once Jerry kicks the bucket

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You know it will probably end up being a stark difference in ownership once Jerry kicks the bucket
Maybe so, I don't see it. Stephen is his own man however and will do some things different than his daddy. I wouldn't mind the GM title being rightfully assigned to Will McClay, he has certainly earned it. I love to listen to McClay talk about football. He's so smart, he makes me feel smarter just listening to him.