Ware Release: has the Organization Changed? ***Ware Mega Merge-place all Ware threads here please***

Verdict

Reaction score
The odds are ....yes. Even if he "goes off" next year, there is still an argument we did the right thing. You have to look at his production over the life of the rest of his contract vs the production and weigh in the opportunity cost of keeping him around in that decision.

RS12

Reaction score
Yes it is a pay for production league. He should be valued around Cliff Avril's contract.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
How can anyone know at this point?

Too many variables to be definitive. Time will tell.

Sorry bud. We didn't need another two or three seasons to figure out whether we should have released Ware. That's what the Cowboys have been doing with older vets for years, regardless of the production. The time was right. The goal is to stay relatively young and hungry. Not aging and declining.

Zordon

Reaction score
lol.. finally you and I have something to disagree about. Cutting Ware was an excellent decision. I'm so tired of paying aging players massive contracts only to get burned down the road. What did Ware do for us last year Zordon? The year before he was all banged up too. Disappears in big games for us. I wish him well, it wasn't working out here.

I don't disagree with the decision. I knew it needed to happen. I'm very shocked they actually did it. I never listen to the people on here who always have a rainbows and daffodils view of the cap. I knew all these years of restructuring would come back to bite us. We are addicted to restructuring contracts. Thank you Stephen Jones....idiot.

The reason I say he will have 15+ sacks for a contender, is for a couple of reasons. 1. He'll be extremely motivated. I have a weird feeling he's not too happy about him being on the outs while Romo/Witten are treated like untouchables by this organization. Jason Garrett protects his own. He will work harder than ever this offseason to prove Jerry wrong, mark my words. 2. Virtually every team in this league has better talent on the dline than us. Also, virtually every team in this league has better depth than us on the dline. He's going to be in a more conducive environment to remain fresh and successful throughout the season. I also do not trust the training staff in Dallas. He'll benefit leaving and being around better medical staffs.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
How do you determine if it's "right"? If we go 2-14 next year and set an NFL record for sack futility, people will still say it was the "right" thing to do because we never had a chance anyway or we're not one Ware away from the Super Bowl... or whatever corny logical fallacy they are using that week. The people who say it's the right thing will never set a metric to measure it against, so what's the point?

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Probably yes, the right thing to do. Lord knows though, we might miss his 0 sacks in the 4th quarter of close games.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score

Soon to be 3. I think Jerry is just waiting to cut Austin until after his honeymoon. That would be so cruel to do it during. ouch.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No.....great players like him come once in a lifetime. The guy was playing hurt with three different injuries and when healthy he still is an impact starter. 19.5 sacks in 11 and 11.5 in 12 while missing games. Jerry seems to miss on every contract move he ever makes and this is no different. Can't wait till next season is over and a lot of people around here are eating there own words when he has 12+ sacks for the Saints or another ball club.
Even if he has success next season, it does not prove that cutting him was not the correct decision at the time of the cut. It is about the probabilites of him staying healthy and having production that matches his cost.

You can bet $10 on the spin of a roulette wheel. The fact that you won the bet does not mean that you should have bet your life savings on red.

sbark

Reaction score
I'm sure JJ offered him around 8 mill /year..........he didn't want it, but now he'll sign with another team for bout' 8 mill/yr.....so both parties came to point that it was time to move on.......if we are gonna rebuild the line, lets rebuild it........and with levels of guys to keep guys fresh like Seattle does it.......come in waves.

erod

Reaction score
Of course. This was a no brainer.

Still, I didn't think Jerry could do it.

But it was an easy decision from a pure football standpoint.

Zordon

Reaction score
Everyone relax.

Will mcclay and Jason Garrett will fix all of this.

They have been on top of their game for years now, this should be their best year yet.

It only took Garrett three years to find guys to play guard, he should knock out a defensive end with double digit sacks within the hour.

If not he can always throw marinelli under the bus next December and then the sheep types can tell us marinelli is old and we need a young guy like Garrett to run the defense.
Remember, "dline is a position of strength" and kiffin had to sit on the floor because the "dline room was full, no seats available".

Brooksey

Reaction score
A sig bet?

That's way too rich for my blood. I fold.

But Ware will have more than 1 double digit sack seasons in the future. You can quote me on it.

I agree he may have at least one double digit sack season, maybe 10-12 sacks, but that's over a million dollars a sack! As much as I loved Demarcus Ware and thought he would be back, he's to expensive. In his prime he was chasing 20 sacks and an absolute terror, he's breaking down and his sacks are in garbage time. When the pressure was on for a stop, he was a ghost of a pass rusher the last few seasons. To turn his head, he turns his whole body. Still sets the edge like a beast and could have been a hell of a rotational player for the next 4- 5 years but that's not what were paying him for. He's worth 6-8 million/year.