Twitter: Ware willing to take a pay cut

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's really bizarre for Ware to comment on something with a response like that...this ain't the NBA. Maybe he thought they meant "restructure".

He should've taken the Doug Free approach. Take the pay cut and when the media gets a hold of it, so be it. Now he'll have to go the entire offseason with the media vultures making an issue of a possible pay cut.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Jared Allen has 9 more sacks and played only one more year. If you're going to say he's one of the "all time sack leaders" then it doesn't matter who has played longer.

Are you going to sit here and tell me there hasn't been games where the opposing OT hasn't shut him down? Seriously?

Why are you being naive. Ware and Allen are the two greatest pass rushers of this era. Anyone with common sense would say so. Did you just start watching football this year?

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
He was successful in the 3-4. And so was Bruce Carter. I wouldn't be upset if we went back to the 3-4 and played man coverage in the secondary. Our secondary played well today with Claiborne back and the corners playing man coverage. Nix from Notre Dame is a great pure 3-4 NT. He could be available when we pick at 16.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Why would we even address such a thing with the media/public? He should keep his mouth shut until management approaches him.

Thinking bout the team. I love that about him. Some people do it for attention but Ware personality is just a stand up guy. And maybe they have approached him about it already

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
He should've taken the Doug Free approach. Take the pay cut and when the media gets a hold of it, so be it. Now he'll have to go the entire offseason with the media vultures making an issue of a possible pay cut.

Yep. Plus it's the NFL. If Dirk Nowitzki takes an 80 million dollar contract instead of a 90 million dollar one, he is still getting a BOATLOAD of guaranteed cash, and there was never any question at all he was doing it out of the goodness of his heart. If you take a pay cut in the NFL, you are basically saying, "I stunk, and there is a pretty good chance I will continue to stink. But I like it here." Which may be true, but there is no logical reason for Ware to take that stance a mere hour into the offseason.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
that's dumb. Here a guy is willing to take one for the team. We always whine and complain about selfish players. He knows his play has declined, and is willing to put up to help us get other players, and we have a problem with that. Ware is one of our own, this man has given this team everything. For years he's done it with no one on the other side, and now he's saying he's willing to cut his pay because he's not where he was.

The guy played great today. He made several pressures that caused Foles to move away from the pocket where he was sacked or hurried. He still has value, but I will say this, if it's time to cut Ware or Trade him, let's throw Romo in there too.

The people that are actually still saying cut him are the people you want to avoid. Im sure it will be a significant paycut too.

If he comes back from his injuries then its a win. If not you have a situation passrusher playing for cheap. Win

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

It was going to be a major theme this offseason any way you slice it. Ware is just getting it out there that he is willing to take a pay cut if it means he can stay. His cap number is huge next year, 16m, so something has to be done. A pay cut, a restructure, a trade, a release or a June 1st release.

Derinyar

Reaction score
The people that are actually still saying cut him are the people you want to avoid. Im sure it will be a significant paycut too.

If he comes back from his injuries then its a win. If not you have a situation passrusher playing for cheap. Win

And if he doesn't come back you have managed to put one more year of his contract behind him before you have to make a decision without restructuring him again.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
I know he meant well, but in reality he can't produce at a level that warrants his salary he's due. I know he wants to stay, but he'd have to take a big cut along with a limited role. I see JJ going with a paucity route vs outright cutting him. JJ wants to win and with certain players and coaches. This is why I believe Ware stays.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
And if he doesn't come back you have managed to put one more year of his contract behind him before you have to make a decision without restructuring him again.

exactly and in 2015 the price of cutting him is not to big

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
exactly and in 2015 the price of cutting him is not to big

This is the year they have to decide on Ware. His dead money is roughly half of his 16m cap hit next year. Meaning they could save roughly 8m by releasing him. If they keep him and he doesn't take a pay cut, they have to restructure his contract pushing 8-10m in new dead money forward.

They need to get his 16m cap number down to around 8m one way or another.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
There's no disconnect. My assumption is that some media person asked about it and he felt obliged to answer. He shouldn't feel so obliged, IMO.

Or maybe he offered it up, and didn't feel obliged to say anything. Maybe he WANTED to say it.

lol.. there's nothing wrong or bad about what he said at all, people. Most likely, he's just frustrated with losing and wanted to put it out there that he will help do whatever it takes to be on a winning football team, like i said. Nothing wrong with that.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
What I'm saying is he probably should keep this private between him, his agent and management. The Dallas media will be all over this pay cut thing. I think it would've been in his best interest to keep it to himself. Yes it's my opinion and there's no need for you to spew such venom about it. And when has anyone taken you seriously?

What you're saying makes no sense.

Why should he keep this between him, his agents, and management?

Because you think that's what would be best for him?

lol.. Ware is a big boy. He can decide on his own what's in his best interests.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or maybe he offered it up, and didn't feel obliged to say anything. Maybe he WANTED to say it.

lol.. there's nothing wrong or bad about what he said at all, people. Most likely, he's just frustrated with losing and wanted to put it out there that he will help do whatever it takes to be on a winning football team, like i said. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree there's nothing wrong with the gesture. I just think the Dallas media might try to use it against him instead of giving him credit for being a team player. They have a way of twisting things. If it was me I wouldn't tell them anything. Didn't think it was such a big deal when I said it.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
I agree there's nothing wrong with the gesture. I just think the Dallas media might try to use it against him instead of giving him credit for being a team player. They have a way of twisting things. If it was me I wouldn't tell them anything. Didn't think it was such a big deal when I said it.

I really don't think the players care half as much as some fans what the media writes about them. Anyone who would take a gesture like that and write about it as if it was a negative thing isn't to be taken seriously anyway.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really don't think the players care half as much as some fans what the media writes about them. Anyone who would take a gesture like that and write about it as if it was a negative thing isn't to be taken seriously anyway.

Agreed.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
This is the year they have to decide on Ware. His dead money is roughly half of his 16m cap hit next year. Meaning they could save roughly 8m by releasing him. If they keep him and he doesn't take a pay cut, they have to restructure his contract pushing 8-10m in new dead money forward.

They need to get his 16m cap number down to around 8m one way or another.

Thats why he said he was willing to take a pay cut. I meaning he would redo his deal to get rid of some of the money the team owes him willingly. That means the money cut doesnt go against the cap as a restructure