Twitter: Warren Sharp: Cowboys QB1 's cap hit, by year 2007-2024| Cap Hell Myth Destroyer

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Everyone knows Jerry is gonna sign Dak to a massive deal. All of this is just posturing and brand building. For Jerry last year was a massive success. For Dak and Lamb and Parsons last year was a massive success. Things could not be going any better and everyone is gonna get their giant bag. If championships are your thing I recommend looking elsewhere.
I do agree. I think if Dak's not here next year it will be because Dak wants to leave. Jerry is just postering to get him to sign a cheap deal. I think Jerry will cave. We've come as far as we can with Dak but I'll believe Jerry really wants to build a championship team when I see it.

Jipper

Reaction score
But we do know that
Ownership / GM isn’t changing so why do you think they would draft a better qb option?
I think many confuse a better qb option vs just a different qb option-
Again I get it- current qb has proven to not get past playoff failures yet
I get that we want a change but nothing guarantees better results and in all likelihood odds show results could be worse
But sure let’s change to just hope for a different result
Only time will show if that indeed happens
you dont know that, no matter how many times you say it does not make it true. The future is not certain with who this team could bring on, draft (even if they luck into it), develop (lance)....its just not certain and they have had it happen with both of their last starting qbs (Romo, Dak), so there is precedence it could happen again.

Dak is not good against good teams, in big moments or in the playoffs - that we do know, that is a fact and there are numerous examples to back it up. After nearly a decade in the league, that is not going to change...we know who he is at this point.

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting (or hoping for) a different result. Many of us are ready to take our chances on change.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
This chart is a bit misleading. Romo was QB1 in 2016. Dak was the backup. Romo also counted for a heap of dead money in 2017 when he retired. Even though Dak was QB1 in 2017 Dallas was still paying a lot of money to the QB position.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do agree. I think if Dak's not here next year it will be because Dak wants to leave. Jerry is just postering to get him to sign a cheap deal. I think Jerry will cave. We've come as far as we can with Dak but I'll believe Jerry really wants to build a championship team when I see it.
Jerry doesn't want to look wrong, is why he will do it. "all in" = double down until you hit.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Myth destroyer? Am I missing something? Can't wait to Dak is gone. What a great relief it will be for all of us. Just think, to finally have a real chance at winning again.
I hope this is sarcasm because the root of the problem will never go away i.e. the Jones family. What has been holding them back the previous years before Dak arrived from winning? Don't get how people can watch these games and think our sole problem is Dak. It's a very poorly constructed team, especially on defense. Very poorly constructed teams can feast off lesser opponents in the regular season, as we have for 3 years straight. But very poorly constructed teams fall apart against good quality teams in the playoffs, which we have dating all the way back to the Romo era.

Until the trenches are addressed on both sides of the ball, this team will continue to get bullied in the playoffs.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We may be in for a big surprise when Jerry signs Dak to a huge extension after the season. He's known not to want to mortgage the future over the past decade. He's been pushing Dak money forward every year since his new contract. Eating the 55M this year could just be catching up. But Jerry could have every intention of signing him. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. But I won't believe it until I see it.
Yeah I don’t at all see them moving on unless Dak just doesn’t want to be here…which I wouldn’t exactly rule out.

If he doesn’t at least get into a SB soon every off-season is going to be brutal.

If I were him I’d go to a place where he is seen as providing hope. Sometimes things just run their course, and it may have in Dallas.

For those who claim we will get much worse if Dak leaves….you’re absolutely right. But sometimes in this league you’ve gotta stink for a little while to eventually get better. Either way, Prescott can’t play forever, but back to the point….the Joneses are going to want to delay that as long as they can.

I sense that Jerry’s ego wants to win this bout with France, but it’s going to come down to either caving or an immediate rebuild. Can’t see him or the kid pushing for the latter.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's what happens when you don't draft a QB in the first round.

The Cowboys got blessed not just once but twice with cheap QB's and still failed to build a championship team.
Yeah honestly the fact they had Dak and Romo for so cheap for so many years but failed to ever build up a good enough roster around either of them is pretty damning.

They had every opportunity to make something happen with how lucky they got finding top-half NFL starters as an UDFA and random 4th round pick.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
The Texans and soon-to-be WFT and da Bears will show how most teams cannot compete with their QB1 eating up so much cap room. Good teams on paper who add franchise QB's can win if everything else is done properly. I am sure Jerr and Jr are listening, but not convinced you see things as clear as everybody else is right now

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
you dont know that, no matter how many times you say it does not make it true. The future is not certain with who this team could bring on, draft (even if they luck into it), develop (lance)....its just not certain and they have had it happen with both of their last starting qbs (Romo, Dak), so there is precedence it could happen again.

Dak is not good against good teams, in big moments or in the playoffs - that we do know, that is a fact and there are numerous examples to back it up. After nearly a decade in the league, that is not going to change...we know who he is at this point.

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting (or hoping for) a different result. Many of us are ready to take our chances on change.
LMAO!!!
the same can be said for your statement too !
Point is yes change COULD be good
But some are convinced (sounds like you are too)
That dumping Dak and bringing in someone new will lead to better results -
I am merely pointing out the only guarantee is it could lead to just DIFFERENT results -
Yes , I get it , don’t know until you try
But the two aforementioned qb’s had similar results to each other -

So will we get lucky and get another Dak or Romo who haven’t done Jack in the playoffs

Or will we get Quincy Carter or Chad Hutchinson ?
Let’s not forget - even before the Jones boys
We had Danny White
We changed to Gary Hogeboom for different results
We had Steve Peleur for different results
The list goes on

My point remains - change is change
Results are what they WILL be not what you or I want them to be

Don’t confuse effort with results

CWR

Reaction score
Dead money falls under the Dead money category.
Ok, but it's still a QB cap hit. Idc, and am not trying to argue one way or another. I just don't think the post paints an accurate picture of what this team has spent at the position.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Ok, but it's still a QB cap hit. Idc, and am not trying to argue one way or another. I just don't think the post paints an accurate picture of what this team has spent at the position.
Bottom line is GM Jethro consistently has a lot of dead cap space, as well as high IR $'s. Some is bad luck, some is just dumb decisions. Drafting injured players, extending injured players, etc.