Was Aikman overrated?

mmohican29

Reaction score
Me and a buddy are in a disagreement. He says Aikman was overrated and he's in the Hall of Fame because he was on a great team and that he was a bus driver.
I said to him, without Aikman Cowboys don't win 3 Super Bowls if any at all. Aikman did what he had to do and it wasn't about gawdy stats but if Aikman had to put up big numbers than he could have.

No, but the back half of his career was not so special. I think he privately masked some nagging injuries and concussions. He was not gifted enough to carry the team.

Big_D

Reaction score
No, but the back half of his career was not so special. I think he privately masked some nagging injuries and concussions. He was not gifted enough to carry the team.

He wasn’t gifted enough to carry Jerry. The team quickly became a complete mess by the time Aikman retired.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Completely different era of football and different style of QB. For his time, he was exceptional. How would his game translate today? That would be something interesting to watch.

For what it's worth, the most TD's in a season thrown by Troy was 23 and the most yards was 3,445 on 473 attempts....just above average numbers in today's game but considering those career bests happened in 1992 when Emmitt rushed 373 times for over 1,700 yards tells you about the era they played in.

starfan1

Reaction score
I take aikman over any qb we’ve had since aikman . He was clutch and his playoff runs were legendary

starfan1

Reaction score
He also said Emmitt Smith isn't even in the top 10 of all-time running backs. I say he's top 5.

time to find new buddies lol! Emmitt was the bomb but there’s certainly a case for others over him. He had a great team around him. He belongs in the top 5-10 discussion . Longevity in itself is a plus on his side

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Fans love to lean on the overgeneralized "different eras" argument and act like Aikman was playing against Y.A. Tittle.

Sure, folks weren't throwing for 5,000+ yards and 50 TDs, but there were plenty of guys throwing for 4,000-4,500+ yards and 30-35 TDs a season during Aikman's prime years.

I also find the claim "oh, he coulda thrown for a million yards if he wanted to!" unconvincing. It doesn't even pass the barstool test; imagine if some Eagles or Giants fan made the same unsubstantiated claim about their QB. How many of you would buy it, lol?

Aikman's a HOFer. End of story.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
His career from 89 to 91 was poop and 96 to 2000 was poop. And he was always scared when he had to go to the Vet

TheFinisher

Reaction score
He had a shortened career and the team was awful at the start and in the end.

But from 91-96 he was arguably the top Quarterback in the league. And this was the era of Elway, Marino, Young, Favre, Kelly, etc.

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
Love Aikman but never thought of him as the top QB in the league. Maybe top 5. I felt like Favre and Young were better QBs overall.

jay94

Reaction score
Me and a buddy are in a disagreement. He says Aikman was overrated and he's in the Hall of Fame because he was on a great team and that he was a bus driver.
I said to him, without Aikman Cowboys don't win 3 Super Bowls if any at all. Aikman did what he had to do and it wasn't about gawdy stats but if Aikman had to put up big numbers than he could have.

No, Emmitt took all his qbr away running in for the easy td at the goal line.