Was McCarthy the logical hire or just a feel good after Garrett?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He was offered the OC job with the Huskies, which most thought he would take since that's his part of the country.

I will make an assumption. McC wanted him and said he'd watched him throughout the season and was impressed. Moore only agreed to come back if he would call the plays and not have that taken away from him. He enjoys that part of the game more than playing and he would be in charge of the offense at UW. McC weighed the positives of having him back on the #2 O and with his QB that had improved under Moore vs calling the plays. It's not like he's not going to be in on the play calling. And Moore understands he still has some learning to do and who better to learn some more aspects of offense and play calling? And keeping Moore was his positive connection with his QB. The QB is learning a new offense, try to keep something comfortable around him, someone that knows him and believes in him and if he didn't, he would have taken that job at UW.

Now another assumption. McC knows the problem with this team isn't on the O side and if he's going to be locked in as the OC and play caller, he's not as involved in the entire game. The D side needs as much of his attention as the O as well as ST. He needs to be the HC, not the HC/OC. He needs to be every players' coach, not just part of the team.

We can all look at the same circumstances and come away with different interpretations, is mine right or better than anyone else's? Of course not, but that's what I've deduced until I see different.

Some see Booger behind the move to keep Moore, how about Nussmeier? Is he behind that too? Only he told McC to move him to QBC form TE's. And Lett, Booger told him to keep him too.

It is disrespect to McC and Moore to suggest McC was forced or coerced into keeping a young coach he had his eye on just because it fits the narrative of wanting a negative vibe to this hiring. If your guy had been hired as HC, if he wanted to keep the guy that had turned that O into the 2nd ranked one, Booger behind that as well?

What is so hard to accept here? An O minded HC takes over a team with the #2 O and #2 QB in passing yards and wants to keep the young guy that accomplished that? It wasn't just McC's eyes on Moore all season, along with Saleh, they were the two most observed coordinators. Some think Moore would need Booger to get a job? Before Booger ever heard the name Kellen Moore, there were already a lot of eyes on him and predictions about coaching being made. He doesn't need some owner forcing a HC to keep him, he's not part of the family.
Who cares about Nussmeir. The story here is an offensive guru OC play calling HC agreeing to retaining the old OC play caller.

I see Moore as Jerry’s last piece of his experiment. Which he was resentful to the last gasp in totally giving up even making it a preference coming in for any new HC.

And this doesn’t mean McC didn’t like him or it’s not a good move to retain Moore especially for Dak. The bigger point is the meddling and interference with Jerry.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Other coaches won Super Bowl with Jerry. JG? Didn't even sniff the conference championship.

The best thing to happen was replacing Garrett with a competent head coach.
I don't disagree with that.

And I’d argue he sniffed it but that was close as he got.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If they were in rebuild mode, I could see going with a college coach but Riley is nothing more than an OC. He inherited one of the best recruiting programs in the country and he can't put a D together and he coaches in the Almost Real Football conference. Meyer is a head case waiting to happen.

If you have a team that you feel is talented and underachieving, a stronger hand with the players and owner is warranted. This is the most unusual HC job in the NFL. Is McC the man for it? I do not know but I do know there are only a very small handful of NFL coaches suited for it and he was on my short list.

He did his time, 13 years in GB with a bunch of entitled jerks, he's battle tested. His biggest challenge will not be struggling but doing well and trying to keep Booger out of his business. He is so celebrity conscious that he hunger for the spotlight is McC's greatest enemy on having the team respond to him.

And I don't know what big splashy coaching hires you are referring to but Johnson was the only one that worked out and he worked out because he could work unencumbered. Parcells had his worst coaching of his career in Dallas for a reason.
Well done. We are as always close in our assessment of the situation.

Except for one detail. For some reason you don't or don’t want to believe Jerry could still be meddling.

Which is the core reason I’m not as optimistic. Jerry was in true form near the end of this season. This hire was almost like he wasn’t even interested in interviewing anyone. Let’s just get it over with . All I want is to keep Moore and Dak. Find me someone who’s on board with credentials and we’ll seal the deal in a sleepover.

What really irks me more than anything and why I’m being so combative is this notion that we’ve been saved from Garrett by McC when in fact the one we need saving from ultimately is still here lurking around. His stench is still the ever prevalent.
Ohhhh that smell. The smell of doom is still around us.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I totally agree, and it seems like that was the priority that the Cowboys ultimately set to find.

I think a team has to know HC is the one they have to answer to. Jimmy and Bill were involved with all aspect and right now this team needs someone to oversee the entire operation on the field. I think if you are OC\HC or DC\HC you spend so much time with 1 group but this team needs someone who is overseeing everything. My hope is that is what McCarthy can do that. Granted I think this off season he will be working very closely with Moore knowing he has a vet in Nolan whom he has worked with before but as we hit training camp players need to know that the HC is seeing all that is going on.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well done. We are as always close in our assessment of the situation.

Except for one detail. For some reason you don't or don’t want to believe Jerry could still be meddling.

Which is the core reason I’m not as optimistic. Jerry was in true form near the end of this season. This hire was almost like he wasn’t even interested in interviewing anyone. Let’s just get it over with . All I want is to keep Moore and Dak. Find me someone who’s on board with credentials and we’ll seal the deal in a sleepover.

What really irks me more than anything and why I’m being so combative is this notion that we’ve been saved from Garrett by McC when in fact the one we need saving from ultimately is still here lurking around. His stench is still the ever prevalent.
Ohhhh that smell. The smell of doom is still around us.
And you have no proof that Booger is meddling in the Moore situation. He was released and allowed to interview for other positions.

The facts are Booger is going to be the owner/GM until he dies and his successor hasn't shown anything that he's not going to be the same guy. He just doesn't have the flair for the circus like Booger does which is what drafting Manziel was all about.

If you are going to continue being a Dallas fan, Booger comes with the territory. If his presence is going to infiltrate every feeling you have about the team, what fun is there in remaining a fan. I admit it, it is difficult to avoid him or the son because they won't shut up but everything about the Cowboys with you involves Booger. That doesn't look like fun.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And you have no proof that Booger is meddling in the Moore situation. He was released and allowed to interview for other positions.

The facts are Booger is going to be the owner/GM until he dies and his successor hasn't shown anything that he's not going to be the same guy. He just doesn't have the flair for the circus like Booger does which is what drafting Manziel was all about.

If you are going to continue being a Dallas fan, Booger comes with the territory. If his presence is going to infiltrate every feeling you have about the team, what fun is there in remaining a fan. I admit it, it is difficult to avoid him or the son because they won't shut up but everything about the Cowboys with you involves Booger. That doesn't look like fun.
We’ve been over this before Coach. Now you’re boring me. Being a Cowboy fan doesn’t have to be fun. You think it’s been fun being a Baylor fan for 60 years.

But yes Jerry is part of the deal. And I’ve accepted it and why I’m without much hope. Fat Mikey hasn’t saved us yet. But you’re really ate up with him. OMG.

And everything with the Cowboys always comes back to Jerry. That’s of his choosing not mine. I’ve never wavered from that.

We have enough evidence to insinuate Jerry is still meddling . Who needs absolute proof? You don’t have proof he’s not. You’ve even admitted .

Last edited:

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
We gotta relax on complaining about the coach fresh off the Garrett era... One deep breath and allow the offseason to take shape.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
From a résumé perspective, the hiring of McCarthy is an otherwise smart decision as he won a Super Bowl, consistently defeated division rivals and reached the playoffs routinely. From a logical perspective, this hiring feels like it was a mistake.

He is an offensive-minded head coach. McCarthy was an offensive coordinator for seven seasons before becoming a head coach, where he called all the offensive plays. But he was fired in Green Bay for having an unimpressive and stale offensive gameplan (in addition to his rift with Rodgers).

Unless McCarthy has revamped his offensive scheme, then there is little reason to believe that this coaching change will be any different from keeping Jason Garrett.

The hiring of the once offensive guru seemed rushed as the NFL season had yet to officially have concluded. The offseason is where offensive and defensive coordinators are open to head coaching positions, particularly those that are currently a part of a playoff run.

Only time will tell how this hiring will affect the success of the Dallas Cowboys. Time is dwindling, however, as their core and elite talent is aging day-by-day and their fans begin to grow restless over the continuous lack of success.

Let’s hope that Jerry Jones sees something that nobody else sees in Mike McCarthy and he can establish the ‘Boys as a powerhouse .
https://nflspinzone.com/2020/01/10/dallas-cowboys-mike-mccarthy-answer/

I think he was the only one we could get.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score

It hurts but it's a fact CC.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Neither of those names he suggested interviewed anywhere. That tells anyone looking that they're happy with what they're doing and weren't campaigning for NFL jobs anyway. Not available to get.

What "reason" would you attribute that to?
Lack of talent. He took chances on trying to get the OL fixed but Peterman and Rogers couldn't get healthy. He tried to convert a 4/3 D and coach to the 3/4 and never got the necessary pieces for it. They were ducks out of water and had to resort to playing not to lose.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lack of talent. He took chances on trying to get the OL fixed but Peterman and Rogers couldn't get healthy. He tried to convert a 4/3 D and coach to the 3/4 and never got the necessary pieces for it. They were ducks out of water and had to resort to playing not to lose.
It doesn’t bother you that the year he leaves they go back to championship game ?

His teams always looked weak on defensive side with a HOF QB that carried the team. That’s what really impressed us?

Or are we simply impressed with anyone not named Garrett?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think Mike McCarthy is the spitting image of Jason Garret - I called him the JG of the NFC North while he was still coaching there. He talks a big game about toughness and accountability, but when push came to shove, he was out of touch with his players and pliable to management.

He called plays that divisional opponents figured out years ago, so Aaron Rodgers just ignored him and treated him like a punk. He would criticize players for their lack of execution, but then no-show to the film meetings to get a back massage, and his players learned how hollow that talk really was. He was loyal to inept coaches for too long, and promoted other staffers to positions they had no business being in (remind you of Scott Linehan or Keith O'Quinn at all?) And when Ted Thompson was basically senile and incapable of performing his duties as GM, McCarthy sat by and didn't say a word about it (although in fairness, I imagine that Elliot Wolf and Brian Guntekunst were the ones really running the personnel show).

You know that shot from the end of last season where Garrett is clapping, and the defense just walks right by him and completely ignores him? That's McCarthy. He's more of a faux-macho screamer type, but his players don't like him, trust him, or listen to him. He's not an innovative playcaller. He's not a leader. He just lucked into a first-ballot HOF quarterback and a front office that valued stability too much to fire him once he grew stale.

I'm sorry, I just hate the McCarthy hire so, so much. I hated him in GB and thought he held on to his job for 5 years too long, and then to pull one of the NFL's most overcooked HCs out of retirement for another go-round was just disgusting.

If I'm digging for positives, I'd say

-maybe he just needs a fresh start. Andy Reid wore out his welcome in Philadelphia, but he rebounded by immediately reviving the Chiefs and winning a Super Bowl less than two weeks ago.

-maybe Aaron Rodgers is just that much of a prick that no coach could work with him, and faced with a HOF QB who wouldn't listen to anyone, he had no option but to sit back and let #12 just do his thing. To continue the analogies, people thought Mike Tomlin was losing the Steelers with Le'Veon Bell holding out, Antonio Brown demanding a trade, and Ben Roethlisberger making noise about retirement every two minutes. Turns out that letting Bell walk after a year out of football is a smart move, Antonio Brown is legitimately insane, and Big Ben's body really is failing him. As a Redditor said: "we're watching these big-name Steelers crash and burn, and meanwhile Tomlin's just sitting there and watching like he's Tywin Lannister." His grasp on the team was a tight as ever, circumstances just didn't make it look that way.

But on the whole, I think the Kellen Moore situation tells you everything you need to know. McCarthy says he's going to call his own plays and not going to give that up again after what he learned last time. He meets with Jerry, he signs on as HC, and suddenly his tune has changed. I think he genuinely likes Kellen Moore - he was praising him when he wasn't even remotely in the picture for the Cowboys HC job - but it definitely seems like Jerry forced this on to him. That's the same McCarthy I saw in GB, a pliable coach who will do what he has to to keep his job.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I thought Parcells got far too conservative in his old age too. Everything had to be "reigned in", and his 3-4 defense became paint by numbers predictable.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn’t bother you that the year he leaves they go back to championship game ?

His teams always looked weak on defensive side with a HOF QB that carried the team. That’s what really impressed us?

Who are you talking out? The question was about why Parcells wasn't more successful in Dallas.

There aren't any HC candidates without warts that have been around. You stated you didn't have one, were you planning on taking the case against any hired? I assumed if you didn't like McC, you had a different horse in the race like Rhule maybe?

And Greg, I disagree with your stance that you don't have to have a solution that you can just point out the problem. Most here if they bring up a problem, they have some sort of suggestion about a solution or another approach, not just I don't like this! Fix it, fix it now!

You don't like McC but you don't like anyone else better. I was prepared for someone else that I probably wouldn't like, Meyer for instance, but I was going to wait to see what happened before taking shots at him.

And to your last point? Yes, anyone but Garrett is better at this point, he was poison in the wine. It had just gone on too long and weren't you tired of all the clapping crap, we needed a new game in town. And I had never been a Garrett attacker until Atlanta. No man deserves to be a HC in the NFL after that debacle.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Personally I wanted a disciplinarian - "Get your mind right and the azz will follow".

No mate, the phrase is " free yo mind and your azz will follow."

That's me, a tweezel bub and always here to help.

I have to go now, big puppy cowboy is pouting ....

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

Did you not notice they loaded up last year on D in FA?