cowboyec

Reaction score
I think he stays as new D.C.
Rod retires after our Super Bowl win.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I was thinking about this. The DC position might not be enough to keep him here.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I think there is a good chance he stays. Most teams looking for a new HC will be looking for offensive minded HCs. For many teams to be swayed to get a defensive minded HC, it will be very important on who he could attract as his OC. I hear people talking about Green Bay, but remember the reason McCarthy was let go was because of the offense production. A deep playoff run lead by the defense may also sway some teams to look at him more seriously, but his potential OC is going to be a big question.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Guys if gets a head coaching offer ( good chance ), he's a goner and there's nothing Jerry can do to keep him but offer Garrett's job.

exciter

Reaction score
Been saying if there are more than 4 head coach openings he has a real shot at getting one. As of today, looks like there could be a min 6 ( Browns, Packers, Buc, Broncos, Cardinals, Jets, Jags) plus an annual surprised opening. Not to mention, a rumor out there that McCarthy may take a year off before coaching again.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-has-list-of-coaching-candidates-ready-to-go/
Career Development Advisory Panel has list of coaching candidates ready to go
Posted by Mike Florio on December 26, 2018, 5:08 PM EST
GettyImages-116615314-e1545862057894.jpg

Getty Images

The annual coaching carousel soon will spin, and the league has been working to compile a list of recommended candidates for the looming array of vacancies.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the first tier of coaching candidates consists, in no particular order, of Cowboys defensive backs coach and passing game coordinator Kris Richard, Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt (a two-time former head coach), Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak (former coach of the Titans), Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels (former Broncos head coach), former Packers coach Mike McCarthy, Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, Patriots linebackers coach Brian Flores, and former Colts and Lions coach Jim Caldwell.
So with the normal GMs penchant for being ultra conservative, one is going to put his job and reputation on the line to hire a defensive backs coach, who failed at his only attempt at being a coordinator as the head coach. I'm sure plenty of people will be willing to give him a dc position but I have a difficult time seeing that!

exciter

Reaction score
Open up your wallet Jerry!
Prior to Oakland's inbecillic contract to Gruden, the highest paid NFL coaches were Belicheck and Carroll at 6m per year. Garret makes 5m. Linehan and Marinelli are 2 of the highest paid coordinators at 1m per year. Opening his wallet has never been the issue!

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
If Richard is smart he'l bolt the first chance he gets and distance himself from the Jerry circus. Its bad enough he's had to answer to that incompetent he has as a HC this season.
He was fist fighting before the Philly game he loves working in the Jerry circus

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Richard is Tier 1 head coaching candidate by advisory board. Garrett survives by making the playoffs. So the dream of Richard replacing him is likely dead. Richard will be head coaching another team in 2019 and we’re stuck with the Clapper for another year (or decade). Shoot me now.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-has-list-of-coaching-candidates-ready-to-go/

I agree that there could be a chance that Richard could leave to be a head coach somewhere, but just because Mike Florio has said it does not make it written in stone. Also this list that the league makes of coaches THEY think could be head coaches, it's funny that every year a team signs someone that wasn't on the leagues list to be their new head coach. Are you saying that Mike Florio has NEVER been wrong? Teams often put out bogus info just to throw off these so called insiders so they don't know what their plans really are.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's not always about the money. Most coaches dream of being head coaches in the NFL someday.
So you talked to Coach Richard about what motivates him? No, you did not and we are not talking about what motivates "most" coaches, we are specifically talking about one dude, Coach Richard. He is close to this bunch of guys and will be inheriting the DC job and will be the heir apparent for the HC job in Dallas which is a very special deal. Get out of here with you generalities and get with what we are specifically talking about with this one guy. Jerry will not let him go.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
There's no salary cap on coaches.
Jerry will throw the bank at Richard I would guess and promote him to defensive coordinator.

True there is no salary cap but there is a gentlemen's agreement in place to not buck the system and some owner go rogue and offer some huge contract to a coach.

What really needs to happen is Richard replace Marinelli (hell, he is already starting to control the defense anyways) and either have Marinelli retire, move to another team or go to coaching the DL (which is what he is most comfortable doing) but keep the same salary.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Let's scale it down a bit in regard to Richard.

Maybe for once it is because Marinelli actually has some real talent to utilize in the front seven. This defense wins on the LOS and getting heat on the QB. Our LB play has been out of this world....that isn't due to Richard, that is on Ben Bloom. In the secondary, Byron Jones has made a huge change...but there are a lot of people saying he never should have been a S at all. Other than him, what secondary member has excelled? Awuzie has been spotty and was everyone's target early on. Brown is on and off the whipping post. Jourdan Lewis couldn't get on the field for half the year. Jeff Heath has been same guy as past few years Xavier Woods is developing but still is spotty.

It could easily be argued that the secondary is still the weak link of our defense.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It's not always about the money. Most coaches dream of being head coaches in the NFL someday.
Let's scale it down a bit in regard to Richard.

Maybe for once it is because Marinelli actually has some real talent to utilize in the front seven. This defense wins on the LOS and getting heat on the QB. Our LB play has been out of this world....that isn't due to Richard, that is on Ben Bloom. In the secondary, Byron Jones has made a huge change...but there are a lot of people saying he never should have been a S at all. Other than him, what secondary member has excelled? Awuzie has been spotty and was everyone's target early on. Brown is on and off the whipping post. Jourdan Lewis couldn't get on the field for half the year. Jeff Heath has been same guy as past few years Xavier Woods is developing but still is spotty.

It could easily be argued that the secondary is still the weak link of our defense.

+1 .......but I think Marinelli allowing him to call plays has kinda made him the face of the D. Also his decision to move Byron from S to CB is paying off big-time. Guess the question is w/o Richard, how good would this D be.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't know, but if he does get an offer then I don't see anyway he turns it down even if he gets offered the DC position here.
I don't either. I just don't think he gets offered that deal. Whoever needs a head coach is a organization in disarray so whoever that coach is more than likely has to be in charge of personnel too. If he's offered a head coaching job....I believe he takes it. But to go from a DB coach to Head Coach....seems far fetched to me.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Pretty damn good, according to the advisory committee

We will see. I don't see it. Not saying its not possible because anything can happen in the NFL. But the guy got fired by the Seahawks just a year ago. He wasn't hire by anyone as a DC. He was hired by us to be our DB Coach. So to go from that to a head coach a year later? Like I said, I wouldn't be shocked but it seems unlikely.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I don't see this being the right time for Richard to be a HC. Coach may even get an HC interview, but I just see him, in Dallas, continuing to build a Top Defense.

I would be shocked if JG was let go. On the other hand, Scotty is gone. OC search hopefully has some good candidates, nobody's brother-in-law.

rpntex

Reaction score
Richard is Tier 1 head coaching candidate by advisory board. Garrett survives by making the playoffs. So the dream of Richard replacing him is likely dead. Richard will be head coaching another team in 2019 and we’re stuck with the Clapper for another year (or decade). Shoot me now.

He just got fired from his last job as a coordinator, so I don’t see him getting any quality offers for head coaching positions. At this moment, he is a position coach, and in the past 20 years, you can count the number of coaches who went from position coach the head coach on two hands. I think Marinelli retires, and Richard becomes our new DC/assistant head coach (with a salary to match).

Oh, he will get some interviews, but a lot of those will be simply to satisfy the Rooney rule. Serious offers? Like I said, I don’t think he’ll get a quality offer from anybody. If he gets any, it’s going to be a place like Oakland or Cleveland.