We are not very good, and I'm fading

hawklegion

Reaction score
Hostile;3511274 said:
I never said you have to stop.

The finite comments about your intelligence (which I never saw) got trumped by the law school claim man. You got questioned about going to law school if you used improper grammar. Surely you can see the correlation as to how that got started.

Sorry, not really. I have little interest in pedantic attacks based on an individual's career choices. To each their own I suppose.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;3511283 said:
Give my best to the AA batteries. :D
Even tho, no batteries are necessary, I'll let you have that one. lol
Bleu Star;3511287 said:
Thanks WG. I appreciate the compliment.
Better hope your wife ain't looking over your shoulder. :p:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3511307 said:
Even tho, no batteries are necessary, I'll let you have that one. lol

You're a peach. We should go out sometime.

Better hope your wife ain't looking over your shoulder. :p:

http://img835.*************/img835/8531/dailypicdump111.gif

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3510783 said:
If you're truly seeking intelligent debate, I suggest you offer something other than a tantrum.

Your initial posting was a purely emotional appeal. It had little to do with critical analysis.

On the contrary, my fellow C.S. Lewis fan (I would also address Hostile's request for truly intellectual debate, but he doesn't seem genuinely interested in it). Though my initial post was filled with pathos, there was plenty of logos as well. For instance:
- The defense is carrying this team; the offense is dragging it down.
- Jason Garrett is the main culprit.
- There are no players on the offense (other than perhaps Jason Witten) of the stature of Troy, Emmitt, Michael, Big E, and Big Larry.
- The offense of the 90's was feared and consistently got the short yardage runs and big third down catches. In those areas, this offense is very inconsistent (particularly the short yardage gains. On this point, I'll admit I was spoiled because the 92-95 teams were among the best in the NFL history at the getting the necessary 1 or 2 yards on third or fourth down).
- Many of the offensive stars on this team strike me as "celebrity athletes" who are not driven to become one of the great Cowboys (yes, here I'm speaking more about Romo and, perhaps, Miles Austin. This may not be fair to Austin, but he is dating a Kardashian for Pete's sake. I'm afraid he'll fall into the same celebrity lifestyle that Romo lives, which I would argue is a negative factor in a football player's likelihood of achieving greatness).
- Something is missing in the culture of the Cowboys organization. I left this assertion vague, because I can't identify it. I think Jerry is a good owner, but I don't know. Ultimately, I don't have much confidence in Wade, Jason, or Romo. They set the culture of the offense.​

So, there you have it. Plenty of real arguments put forth in my initial post based on one person's observations. There have been very few responses to any of the above. Just lots of put downs, cute remarks, huffing and puffing. It's too bad, because there is plenty there to talk about.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Awakened;3511504 said:
On the contrary, my fellow C.S. Lewis fan (I would also address Hostile's request for truly intellectual debate, but he doesn't seem genuinely interested in it). Though my initial post was filled with pathos, there was plenty of logos as well. For instance:
Oh this ought to be interesting. Or maybe not.

The defense is carrying this team; the offense is dragging it down.
Boring. It's pre-season. The games haven't even begun yet. There are no game plans and neither side is carrying anything.

Jason Garrett is the main culprit.
Boring. No one in the NFL know agrees with this. The entire discussion would be your opinions which you would claim as fact.

There are no players on the offense (other than perhaps Jason Witten) of the stature of Troy, Emmitt, Michael, Big E, and Big Larry.
Boring. This is not those teams. There are very few players in the entire NFL the equal of those guys. A discussion on it would be pointless.

The offense of the 90's was feared and consistently got the short yardage runs and big third down catches. In those areas, this offense is very inconsistent (particularly the short yardage gains. On this point, I'll admit I was spoiled because the 92-95 teams were among the best in the NFL history at the getting the necessary 1 or 2 yards on third or fourth down).
Boring. The calendar has changed several years since the early 90's. Nothing about this is relevant to this team.

Many of the offensive stars on this team strike me as "celebrity athletes" who are not driven to become one of the great Cowboys (yes, here I'm speaking more about Romo and, perhaps, Miles Austin. This may not be fair to Austin, but he is dating a Kardashian for Pete's sake. I'm afraid he'll fall into the same celebrity lifestyle that Romo lives, which I would argue is a negative factor in a football player's likelihood of achieving greatness).
Boring. I don't care how our players strike you.

Something is missing in the culture of the Cowboys organization. I left this assertion vague, because I can't identify it. I think Jerry is a good owner, but I don't know. Ultimately, I don't have much confidence in Wade, Jason, or Romo. They set the culture of the offense.
Boring. Pretty much is discussed every single day on this forum in some capacity or another.

So, there you have it. Plenty of real arguments put forth in my initial post based on one person's observations. There have been very few responses to any of the above. Just lots of put downs, cute remarks, huffing and puffing. It's too bad, because there is plenty there to talk about.
Doesn't look like much to me.

Then again I didn't expect much.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Awakened;3511504 said:
- The defense is carrying this team; the offense is dragging it down.
- Jason Garrett is the main culprit.
- There are no players on the offense (other than perhaps Jason Witten) of the stature of Troy, Emmitt, Michael, Big E, and Big Larry.
- The offense of the 90's was feared and consistently got the short yardage runs and big third down catches. In those areas, this offense is very inconsistent (particularly the short yardage gains. On this point, I'll admit I was spoiled because the 92-95 teams were among the best in the NFL history at the getting the necessary 1 or 2 yards on third or fourth down).
- Many of the offensive stars on this team strike me as "celebrity athletes" who are not driven to become one of the great Cowboys (yes, here I'm speaking more about Romo and, perhaps, Miles Austin. This may not be fair to Austin, but he is dating a Kardashian for Pete's sake. I'm afraid he'll fall into the same celebrity lifestyle that Romo lives, which I would argue is a negative factor in a football player's likelihood of achieving greatness).
- Something is missing in the culture of the Cowboys organization. I left this assertion vague, because I can't identify it. I think Jerry is a good owner, but I don't know. Ultimately, I don't have much confidence in Wade, Jason, or Romo. They set the culture of the offense.​

None of these arguments can be argued on a rational level because they're purely speculative and emotional in nature.

The Cowboys teams of the 90s have absolutely no bearing on the success or failure of the 2010 rendition. In fact, NFL history is wrought with Super Bowl champions that were completely dissimilar from the 90s Cowboys teams, including the 70s Cowboys teams. Your intimation that all future Cowboys champions must necessarily mirror past Cowboys champions is driven by nothing more than emotion (in addition to being completely wrong).

At this point, we can't possibly know if "the defense is carrying the team; the offense is dragging it down" because the Cowboys have yet to play a regular season game and both units were abused last Saturday. Consequently, once again, your first two bullet points are purely emotive speculation.

The manner in which the offensive stars "strike you" has no place in rational analysis. Again, you're speculating based on no tangible evidence. I could say that Romo strikes me as a hard worker who wants to win. Who's right?

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan;3510007 said:
OMG Salt, who is that girl?

For those also wondering who she is, her name is Cheryl Cole. She's a Brit.

Poor thing completely ruined one of her best assets and put a tattoo right in the middle of the left cheek. Not going to link to that one of course.

Cheryl%20Cole.jpg

esloan

Reaction score
The defense is carrying this team; the offense is dragging it down.

You know this because of three pre-season games? Really? How about the start of last year when the offense bailed out the defense in the Tampa game?

Guess what, hotshot?

These things happen in the NFL. Some games the defense will carry the offense, sometimes the opposite.

Jason Garrett is the main culprit.

Again, you can tell this by three games in the pre-season that he did not game plan for? Let me ask, how bad was his game-plan in New Orleans last year? Or against Philly at the end of the season?

There are no players on the offense (other than perhaps Jason Witten) of the stature of Troy, Emmitt, Michael, Big E, and Big Larry.

Really? Wow, how astute. Let me clue you in to something, there are very few players of that caliber in the NFL at all. Much less five on one team and on one side of the ball. You are talking about 3 Hall of Famers, one certain Hall of Famer and one other that could possibly go into the Hall of Fame.

Name me one current NFL team with that many HoFs on one side of the ball. I will wait......

Yeah, thought so.

The offense of the 90's was feared and consistently got the short yardage runs and big third down catches. In those areas, this offense is very inconsistent (particularly the short yardage gains. On this point, I'll admit I was spoiled because the 92-95 teams were among the best in the NFL history at the getting the necessary 1 or 2 yards on third or fourth down).

This is a completely valid point.....IF WE WERE PLAYING AGAINST THE 92-95 Cowboys. But we are not, thank God.

There is NO TEAM in this league as good as those 92-95 Cowboys were. NONE, ZIP, NADA. Those teams were among the best in NFL history. In this watered-down, salary cap era there is nothing even close.

So, really, who cares about the comparisons to the 92-95 Cowboys? Here, I will agree with you on something: this Cowboys team is not as good as the 92-95 Cowboys! Happy now?!?!

But guess what? They don't have to be.

Many of the offensive stars on this team strike me as "celebrity athletes" who are not driven to become one of the great Cowboys (yes, here I'm speaking more about Romo and, perhaps, Miles Austin. This may not be fair to Austin, but he is dating a Kardashian for Pete's sake. I'm afraid he'll fall into the same celebrity lifestyle that Romo lives, which I would argue is a negative factor in a football player's likelihood of achieving greatness).

This tired argument again? Wow, this gets old.

So, Miles is a "celebrity athlete" because he is dating Kim Kardashian? How about Tom Brady? He is dating Gisele Bündchen for God's sake, it has really affected him, huh? Hell, he even left his girlfriend, while she was pregnant, and hooked up with Gisele. That was in 2007. They went 16-0 that year and lost to a hot Giants team.

Romo is no more celebrity than any other NFL player. You know what Romo does? He golfs. WOW!! Stop the Presses!!!
Other than that, he attends every meeting, shows up for every practice. Comes early, leave late.

So, celebrity. :bang2:

Furthermore, you seem to be a bit confused. On one hand, you hold the Cowboys of the early '90s on a pedestal but, on the other hand, you condemn this team for being too celebrity.

Let me clue you in on a little something: The early '90s Cowboys were about as celebrity as one team can get! Between Deion, Michael, the "White House" and all the other stuff going on at the time, it just doesn't get much more celebrity than that.

No, really there are not. You know what there is? Lots of whines that this Cowboys team is not the '90s Cowboys team. That's it really. That's all you got.

Tell you what, how about you just stop watching football until another team of the early '90s Cowboys caliber bursts on to the scene? Then you can be happy with their obvious perfection. I mean, hell, those teams never lost a pre-season game!

Hey, wait a minute, I think they had a losing pre-season record every year in that stretch!! Well, damn.

Anyway, just hold out for one of those types of teams and stop watching until then.

See you in about 40 years or so.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Awakened;3511504 said:
So, there you have it. Plenty of real arguments put forth in my initial post based on one person's observations.
[youtube]anEuw8F8cpE[/youtube]
Since your last message was posted, Hostile, ScipioCowboy and esloan have all played the role of Indy. It is quite possible others will do as well.

You, on the other hand, are the guy with the sword.

Please stop. Sincerely. Please.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Awakened;3511504 said:
[/B]

Romo, Ware, Witten

Right now

and I think Dez, Jenkins, Austin, and Lee in the future have a chance.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3511547 said:
None of these arguments can be argued on a rational level because they're purely speculative and emotional in nature.

The Cowboys teams of the 90s have absolutely no bearing on the success or failure of the 2010 rendition. In fact, NFL history is wrought with Super Bowl champions that were completely dissimilar from the 90s Cowboys teams, including the 70s Cowboys teams. Your intimation that all future Cowboys champions must necessarily mirror past Cowboys champions is driven by nothing more than emotion (in addition to being completely wrong).

At this point, we can't possibly know if "the defense is carrying the team; the offense is dragging it down" because the Cowboys have yet to play a regular season game and both units were abused last Saturday. Consequently, once again, your first two bullet points are purely emotive speculation.

The manner in which the offensive stars "strike you" has no place in rational analysis. Again, you're speculating based on no tangible evidence. I could say that Romo strikes me as a hard worker who wants to win. Who's right?
129010324072428004.jpg

That is complete and total ownage. Awakened, you have provided no substance to your "arguments." All your feelings are just paranoia.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DallasEast;3511733 said:
[youtube]anEuw8F8cpE[/youtube]
Since your last message was posted, Hostile, ScipioCowboy and esloan have all played the role of Indy. It is quite possible others will do as well.

You, on the other hand, are the guy with the sword.

Please stop. Sincerely. Please.
He had a sword? It looked like a flyswatter to me.

I need to get my eyes checked.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Hostile;3511814 said:
He had a sword? It looked like a flyswatter to me.

I need to get my eyes checked.

Hey ...... be nice ...... the poor guy is fading .....

Boston%20Back%20to%20Future.jpg

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
esloan;3511590 said:
Let me clue you in to something, there are very few players of that caliber in the NFL at all. Much less five on one team and on one side of the ball. You are talking about 3 Hall of Famers, one certain Hall of Famer and one other that could possibly go into the Hall of Fame.

Name me one current NFL team with that many HoFs on one side of the ball. I will wait......

Yeah, thought so.

This is a completely valid point.....IF WE WERE PLAYING AGAINST THE 92-95 Cowboys. But we are not, thank God.

There is NO TEAM in this league as good as those 92-95 Cowboys were. NONE, ZIP, NADA. Those teams were among the best in NFL history. In this watered-down, salary cap era there is nothing even close.

So, really, who cares about the comparisons to the 92-95 Cowboys? Here, I will agree with you on something: this Cowboys team is not as good as the 92-95 Cowboys! Happy now?!?!

But guess what? They don't have to be.

This tired argument again? Wow, this gets old.

So, Miles is a "celebrity athlete" because he is dating Kim Kardashian? How about Tom Brady? He is dating Gisele Bündchen for God's sake, it has really affected him, huh? Hell, he even left his girlfriend, while she was pregnant, and hooked up with Gisele. That was in 2007. They went 16-0 that year and lost to a hot Giants team.

Romo is no more celebrity than any other NFL player. You know what Romo does? He golfs. WOW!! Stop the Presses!!!
Other than that, he attends every meeting, shows up for every practice. Comes early, leave late.

So, celebrity. :bang2:

No, really there are not. You know what there is? Lots of whines that this Cowboys team is not the '90s Cowboys team. That's it really. That's all you got.

First, let me say that I have been misunderstood (which is my fault) on one point: my observations are based on the last few years, really ever since J. Garrett became OC - not on this preseason. I realize that is not obvious from my initial post. But if you take the post as a whole it is evident.

Congratulations esloan for being the only person to actually make an effective argument against my points. Though you also felt compelled to throw out plenty of bluster (calling me hotshot because I have strong feelings about where the Cowboys are at I guess. For the record, name-calling and put downs always weaken an argument).

I give you props for your point about those 5 HOFers from the 92-95 teams (the one in doubt, Big E, was possibly on the path to being the greatest OL of all time until he had that car crash). Your point that many teams have won the SB without coming close to 5 HOFers is well taken.

I can't put the time or effort into offering a counterpoint regarding the ability of recent SB champs to consistently get the needed 1 or 2 yards or the critical third down, but I have a feeling most of them are more consistent at it than we have been the last couple of seasons.

Bringing Tom Brady into the argument against celebrity athletes is very effective. I had considered that to be the best answer to my concern. Brady is the ultimate "celebrity athlete" but is obviously an excellent QB, a winner. However, I would argue that Brady is the exception to the rule - that he has beat the odds. To add a little ethos to my argument, you know that Bill Parcells warned Romo about becoming a celebrity - that he had seen too many guys lose focus due to celebrity. So I am not alone on this. I don't buy your argument about the Cowboys of the 90's being the ultimate "celebrity athletes." I differentiate between being a superstar who is living "the high life" and being a celebrity. In this sense, today is very differnt from the 90's. With TMZ, twitter, the Espy's, the increasingly blurred boundary between athletes, supermodels, actors, and reality TV stars (not to mention escalating salaries), an NFL superstar with charisma (and thus marketability) has much more opportunity to be distracted from the rigors of playing a brutal sport at the highest level possible. Who knows if Michael Irvin would have maintained his incredible focus and dedication in this day and age? Brady does it. I'm not sold that Romo does it. I have no idea if Ausin can manage it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The Cowboys of the 90's weren't celebrities? Seriously?

How did so many of them end up with TV gigs?

Why did so many of them have bodyguards and entourages?

Why were they on TV sitcoms, in music videos, and even movies?

How have 2 of them ended up on Dancing with the Stars?

How did one of them get his own reality TV show?

Why did every woman Troy Aikman was seen with become his new girlfriend in the press?

All of those things happened without the benefit of celebrity?

On top of this mountain of facts totally obliterating the celebrity rant, has there ever been a Dallas Cowboy less inclined to the spotlight of celebrity than Marion Barber? He's a current Dallas Cowboy contributor. Dozens of other players are friendly with the media, but eschew the spotlight of celebrity. Your whole rant is based upon who a couple of our players have dated?

Maybe, just maybe, it's time to pay attention to the team and less attention to TMZ, Perez Hilton, and The National Enquirer.

Are you blissfully unaware of the stories of Tony Romo taking a homeless man to a movie or helping an old couple change a tire at midnight after he had been beaten to a pulp by the Cleveland Browns? Are you blissfully unaware than in each instance he told no one. That other people went to the press and he reluctantly admitted he had done those things?

It's time to live up to your username and wake the hell up. Judas Priest.

Sorry for the rant folks.