We are not very good, and I'm fading

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Awakened;3508235 said:
I'm sorry to say it, but I've got a bad feeling about this season. In year's past, the offense has looked great in the pre-season. This year has been a disgrace. Our defense is great and will help us win more games than we lose, but our offense is mediocre and will prevent us from making it any further than we went last year. The main person I put the blame on is Jason Garrett. After this season, he'll be gone. But then again, Wade'll probably be gone too if we perform as poorly as I anticipate. I'm thinking 9-7, maybe 10-6, and a very unhappy Jerry Jones.

I realize most of the pollyanna folks at Cowboys Zone will chide and heckle me for what I'm saying, but I am so tired of this big numbers, modest success offense. It has no heart, no gusto - no Troy or Emmitt or Michael or Big E or Big Larry. It's got sweetness and style, but puts fear in nobody.

Give me the old days when it was 3rd and 2 and everybody in the stadium knew Emmitt was getting the ball, but it didn't matter. Give me 3rd and 8 when everybody in America knew it was going to be slant to Michael, but it didn't matter.

I've been a Cowboys fan my entire 48 year old life. I stuck with the Cowboys when Jerry fired Tom Landry and many people jumped ship. But I am so tired of this team, year after year of no playoff success. I'm tired of celebrity athletes who haven't earned the right to be called one of the great Cowboys, but don't seem driven to keep getting better.

Maybe Dez Bryant and Sean Lee will breathe new fire into the team, but I don't really think so. Like the U.S. government, I believe the problem is systemic. Something is missing in the culture of the entire Dallas Cowboys organization. I'm not necessarily blaming Jerry, because I like owners who are passionate about winning. But I'm fading as a fan, and might soon fade away unless something signficant changes.

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
It can be tough to back your team when they just look bad. Ask any Raider fan. Not so tough to do when they a penciled in as the World Champs I suppose...

Romo looked hurried, was sailing his passes and the defense wasn't stopping much of anything most of the time but they are capable of dominating and I believe they will. It's that simple. You won't find a team that never sucks at times or wins every year by default. Ask any recent Patriot bandwagon fan.

But whatever.

CoCo

Reaction score
Have all the bad feelings you want.

How'd this team look 5 games into last season when we started 3-2? How'd this team look in early December last year after losing in NY and then at home to SD to sit at 8-5?

Its a long, long, NFL season. Starting the season, much less the preseason, like a house afire doesn't guarantee success.

Now lest you think I'm pollyanna, I personally think SB talk at this point in the season (much less the offseason) is ridiculous for this team. Much still to prove. This O-Line (Doug Free aside) needs to find itself. They could implode, making playoff success a real longshot. But there is plenty of time for them to pull together as well, not to mention get our starters back.

There is no guarantee that your prediction won't come true. I just think its kind of ridiculous with a team this talented to declare the season a failure before its even begun. To have hope & optimism at this point isn't pollyanna. But to be doom and gloom is pessimistic.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I wonder if the TC saw how bad Breese and their offense was, or McNabb and the Skins, or Peyton's INT and his team getting beat down the worst teams in the league. It's PRESEASON, there are going to be games where your team just looks like dog ****.

CowboyMort

Reaction score
Muhast;3508237 said:
It....Is....Pre...Season.

Say that over and over in your head please. The lions went 4-0 in pre-season and then went 0-16.

This!

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Awakened;3508235 said:
But I'm fading as a fan, and might soon fade away unless something significant changes.

I know what you mean. But don't worry: the green pants are almost history.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tupperware;3508457 said:
Maybe you guys should all think about moments in your Cowboys fandom when you were at your wits end, but internalized all of it and never told anyone. Maybe this guy is at that point and just chose to speak about it. Maybe it was bad timing, but at least be honest with yourselves before you come down on someone else.
What logic is there in outspoken criticism of "preseason failure". To criticize the team during the season for not overcoming adversity is one thing. To lose all hope before anything (not figuratively but literally) truly matters is irrational.

As far as 'internalization', 'wits end', etc. is concerned, that is sad. Honesty is the best cure here. At some point, every fan must be honest with her- or himself and question, "Do I have what it takes to be a true fan of ________ [insert team or individual sports athlete here]". There is no shame in personally admitting this since there is zero certainty in the outcome of a team's or athlete's future every single blessed year.

That is just fact. No one knows what the future holds. Period. You can "look at trends". You can "associate Jerry Jones with Satan a.k.a. the Devil". You can offer up billboards as burnt offerings, but you cannot beat the reality of life itself. You can allow adversity to pummel you up and spit you out--or you can man up (just a figure of speech ladies :) ) and allow faith to keep you strong through good and bad times.

I have seen certain Saints fans endure 40+ years of adversity, who even opted at some point to place paper bags over their heads. No. I am not talking figuratively here. These are living and breathing people that I know. And how did their unwavering devotion pay off (some of whom actually have been a fan of the team for as long as they have existed)?

Think back to last February for the answer. That is an example of what a true fan can accomplish. I applaud that. Will I pity the weak who find themselves crying out, "I can't take this anymore!" Nope. Sorry. Ain't happening.

Be true with oneself and just quit. You are under no obligations. There is no secret contract written in blood stashed for safekeeping in hell by Jerry Jones. There are no strings. Quit. Give up. The world will keep on spinning. The yard must be mowed, the bills must still be paid and you must continue eating to survive. Stop crying nonstop about what you cannot change and deal with the things you can. That is a life lesson everyone should adopt.

/rant

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
DallasEast;3508531 said:
What logic is there in outspoken criticism of "preseason failure". To criticize the team during the season for not overcoming adversity is one thing. To lose all hope before anything (not figuratively but literally) truly matters is irrational.

As far as 'internalization', 'wits end', etc. is concerned, that is sad. Honesty is the best cure here. At some point, every fan must be honest with her- or himself and question, "Do I have what it takes to be a true fan of ________ [insert team or individual sports athlete here]". There is no shame in personally admitting this since there is zero certainty in the outcome of a team's or athlete's future every single blessed year.

That is just fact. No one knows what the future holds. Period. You can "look at trends". You can "associate Jerry Jones with Satan a.k.a. the Devil". You can offer up billboards as burnt offerings, but you cannot beat the reality of life itself. You can allow adversity to pummel you up and spit you out--or you can man up (just a figure of speech ladies :) ) and allow faith to keep you strong through good and bad times.

I have seen certain Saints fans endure 40+ years of adversity, who even opted at some point to place paper bags over their heads. No. I am not talking figuratively here. These are living and breathing people that I know. And how did their unwavering devotion pay off (some of whom actually have been a fan of the team for as long as they have existed)?

Think back to last February for the answer. That is an example of what a true fan can accomplish. I applaud that. Will I pity the weak who find themselves crying out, "I can't take this anymore!" Nope. Sorry. Ain't happening.

Be true with oneself and just quit. You are under no obligations. There is no secret contract written in blood stashed for safekeeping in hell by Jerry Jones. There are no strings. Quit. Give up. The world will keep on spinning. The yard must be mowed, the bills must still be paid and you must continue eating to survive. Stop crying nonstop about what you cannot change and deal with the things you can. That is a life lesson everyone should adopt.

/rant
I don't contest a word of what you say. What I do contest is the people who would rather criticize than sympathize, not a hard concept at all. And I know plenty of people probably come around here, 20 year olds, threatening to "quit". Call it a bandwagoner or whatever else you want to call it. But the guy has been a fan for nearly 50 years, does that not count as anything towards his credit or opinion?

I know much can't be said to the OP. I mean, it's quit or stay right? I just think that at the very least people could be a little more sincere.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tupperware;3508543 said:
I don't contest a word of what you say. What I do contest is the people who would rather criticize than sympathize, not a hard concept at all. And I know plenty of people probably come around here, 20 year olds, threatening to "quit". Call it a bandwagoner or whatever else you want to call it. But the guy has been a fan for nearly 50 years, does that not count as anything towards his credit or opinion?

I know much can't be said to the OP. I mean, it's quit or stay right? I just think that at the very least people could be a little more sincere.
No. It is an indictment. And in this case, I refuse to arbitrarily add "in my opinion" as I usually do.

[EDIT in response to second paragraph] It is not quantum physics. People should be sincere with themselves before begging for others to do it for them. He has expressed his reasons for giving up. He is not slashing his wrists or attempting suicide. He wants to quit following the team. Big whoop. Let him. The sun will rise for everyone in the morning.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
tupperware;3508543 said:

Him being a fan for 50 years means nothing. If he's going to throw hissy fit and stop being a fan over a bad preseason game, he should go find another team to root for. Then he can see what's it's really like to root for a bad team. :rolleyes:

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
DallasEast;3508549 said:
No. It is an indictment. And in this case, I refuse to arbitrarily add "in my opinion" as I usually do.
So you're basically saying he couldn't of been a fan for 50 years if he's wanting to quit?

rynochop

Reaction score
You know, i think i'd be disappointed if didnt wake up the next morning and NOT see one of these threads.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I will never stop being amazed how many fans of every single team proclaim failure or greatness based on preseason games.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys22;3508564 said:
I will never stop being amazed how many fans of every single team proclaim failure or greatness based on preseason games.
I have yet to see these kinds of idiotic ranting on another teams forums over a bad preseason game.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
DallasEast;3508549 said:

[EDIT in response to second paragraph] It is not quantum physics. People should be sincere with themselves before begging for others to do it for them. He has expressed his reasons for giving up. He is not slashing his wrists or attempting suicide. He wants to quit following the team. Big whoop. Let him. The sun will rise for everyone in the morning.
That goes both ways though. Football could be wiped from the face of the earth and tomorrow morning the sun would come up and here we all would be. Yet still, we're here moaning because Romo can't hookup with RW or whatever other little problem we may see with the team.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Awakened;3508235 said:
I realize most of the pollyanna folks at Cowboys Zone will chide and heckle me for what I'm saying, .

You were right on the money with this point.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Awakened;3508235 said:
I'm sorry to say it, but I've got a bad feeling about this season. In year's past, the offense has looked great in the pre-season. This year has been a disgrace. Our defense is great and will help us win more games than we lose, but our offense is mediocre and will prevent us from making it any further than we went last year. The main person I put the blame on is Jason Garrett. After this season, he'll be gone. But then again, Wade'll probably be gone too if we perform as poorly as I anticipate. I'm thinking 9-7, maybe 10-6, and a very unhappy Jerry Jones.

I realize most of the pollyanna folks at Cowboys Zone will chide and heckle me for what I'm saying, but I am so tired of this big numbers, modest success offense. It has no heart, no gusto - no Troy or Emmitt or Michael or Big E or Big Larry. It's got sweetness and style, but puts fear in nobody.

Give me the old days when it was 3rd and 2 and everybody in the stadium knew Emmitt was getting the ball, but it didn't matter. Give me 3rd and 8 when everybody in America knew it was going to be slant to Michael, but it didn't matter.

I've been a Cowboys fan my entire 48 year old life. I stuck with the Cowboys when Jerry fired Tom Landry and many people jumped ship. But I am so tired of this team, year after year of no playoff success. I'm tired of celebrity athletes who haven't earned the right to be called one of the great Cowboys, but don't seem driven to keep getting better.

Maybe Dez Bryant and Sean Lee will breathe new fire into the team, but I don't really think so. Like the U.S. government, I believe the problem is systemic. Something is missing in the culture of the entire Dallas Cowboys organization. I'm not necessarily blaming Jerry, because I like owners who are passionate about winning. But I'm fading as a fan, and might soon fade away unless something signficant changes.

pic1.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tupperware;3508558 said:
So you're basically saying he couldn't of been a fan for 50 years if he's wanting to quit?
Yep. He thought of himself as a fan. While I understand his reasoning, it is flawed.

My understanding comes from my own experience. Once upon a time in the late 70's and 80's, I thought that I was a true, no question, devout Philadelphia 76ers fan. To make a long story short, I stopped being a fan of the team after Charles Barkley was run out of town.

My desire for the team ended that day. Yet instead of being dishonest with myself, I reflected on how devoted I must have truly been to the team; and determined if some factor... ANY factor... made me quit, then my personal dedication had never been 100%.

That's a life revelation which misses some people. They placate themselves by placing blame on teams and players and not on the one individual in the entire world who does control their own allegience and loyalty.

Why can't some take ownership over their own shortcomings? And why must others do it for them?

CoCo

Reaction score
I certainly understand that frustration sometimes boils over. If you decide to spill it to the world just be ready for what consequences come with that. Or throw in a caveat that says - "I'm just venting."

Absent that, why should anyone not take take the claims of quitting literally?

And like DE said, its ok if you do lose interest and fade away. It really is. There is no eternal reward one way or another for following a football team. Its just a hobby. Choose a different one if you so desire. Or take a break and come back if the interest is rekindled.

We all have different levels of passion around this team. That doesn't make you a better this or that even though its often proclaimed here. Not a big deal.

But do I share the OP opinion that this season is over before its begun? No. I don't. :)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tupperware;3508569 said:
That goes both ways though. Football could be wiped from the face of the earth and tomorrow morning the sun would come up and here we all would be. Yet still, we're here moaning because Romo can't hookup with RW or whatever other little problem we may see with the team.
Your airproof seal has begun to leak. There is a distinct difference between moaning about Romo and Roy Williams quarterback/wide receiver on-the-field relationship in this offense AND quitting the team.