We are not very good, and I'm fading

Frozen700

Reaction score
Awakened;3508235 said:
I'm sorry to say it, but I've got a bad feeling about this season. In year's past, the offense has looked great in the pre-season. This year has been a disgrace. Our defense is great and will help us win more games than we lose, but our offense is mediocre and will prevent us from making it any further than we went last year. The main person I put the blame on is Jason Garrett. After this season, he'll be gone. But then again, Wade'll probably be gone too if we perform as poorly as I anticipate. I'm thinking 9-7, maybe 10-6, and a very unhappy Jerry Jones.

I realize most of the pollyanna folks at Cowboys Zone will chide and heckle me for what I'm saying, but I am so tired of this big numbers, modest success offense. It has no heart, no gusto - no Troy or Emmitt or Michael or Big E or Big Larry. It's got sweetness and style, but puts fear in nobody.

Give me the old days when it was 3rd and 2 and everybody in the stadium knew Emmitt was getting the ball, but it didn't matter. Give me 3rd and 8 when everybody in America knew it was going to be slant to Michael, but it didn't matter.

I've been a Cowboys fan my entire 48 year old life. I stuck with the Cowboys when Jerry fired Tom Landry and many people jumped ship. But I am so tired of this team, year after year of no playoff success. I'm tired of celebrity athletes who haven't earned the right to be called one of the great Cowboys, but don't seem driven to keep getting better.

Maybe Dez Bryant and Sean Lee will breathe new fire into the team, but I don't really think so. Like the U.S. government, I believe the problem is systemic. Something is missing in the culture of the entire Dallas Cowboys organization. I'm not necessarily blaming Jerry, because I like owners who are passionate about winning. But I'm fading as a fan, and might soon fade away unless something signficant changes.

bro..just put the knife down...and stay away from any bridges

RS12

Reaction score
I think when Dez comes back it gives the offense a major boost. Also if if Marty B showed up like that every week, gives another mismatch to exploit. On the other hand the O Line still cant pick up the blitz. The thing I really didnt like was how the defense got run on. I do think the Chargers are one of the best teams in the league but still they ran when they wanted too.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
we look horrible in preseason. We should be concerned. We shouldn't right everything as meh it's just preseason. If that was the case then we might as well just never play any starters and just play back ups for the pre season.

urface59

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3508793 said:
we look horrible in preseason. We should be concerned. We shouldn't right everything as meh it's just preseason. If that was the case then we might as well just never play any starters and just play back ups for the pre season.

:banghead:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

:laugh2: right on cue

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score

I wouldn't expect anything less from you.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3508838 said:
Best evidence yet that no one should be worried.

Give me one good reason as to why we shouldn't be worried. Don't say it's just preseason. I'm not saying that we should be blowing people out and what not. However, it would be nice if we looked smother on offense and our defense doesn't get gashed like it did yesterday. Especially the first team O and D. I understand it's preseason we should expect good execution though and we haven't seen that.

urface59

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3508843 said:
Give me one good reason as to why we shouldn't be worried. Don't say it's just preseason. I'm not saying that we should be blowing people out and what not. However, it would be nice if we looked smother on offense and our defense doesn't get gashed like it did yesterday. Especially the first team O and D. I understand it's preseason we should expect good execution though and we haven't seen that.

I don't know how much "smother" our offense can be...

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3508843 said:

Vanilla offense, defense, teams not playing 100%...eh, what's the use? Don't know quite sure why I dignified your comment with a response...

You're right, preseason success or failure strongly correlates with winning in the regular season...:rolleyes:

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Ozzu;3508242 said:
Yeah, we might suck this year, but I'll never "fade as a fan". What the hell is that?

Fair weather fan was fanned away like a feather.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Muhast;3508237 said:
It....Is....Pre...Season.

Say that over and over in your head please. The lions went 4-0 in pre-season and then went 0-16.
Exactly. We know what the starters can do. Offensive scheme will be vanilla in pre-season b/c it's easier to evaluate the basics. You don't want to make things too complicated (or give anything away).

What I took from this game was the backups had a MUCH better game (defense in particular). Not perfect, but guys played well; Sean Lee got LOTS of reps, Dallas could have some quality depth at LB and S finally.

Brewster and Holland did a lot better than I think most folks (myself included) thought they'd do.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
Awakened;3508474 said:
I think all of you are a little too reactive toward negative posts. It's called whistling in the dark.

I challenge any of you to name a current offensive player whose name deserves to be uttered in the same sentence with Troy, Emmitt, Michael, Big E, and Big Larry. Maybe Jason Witten. Maybe. But there's only so much a TE can do.

Jason Witten, Tony Romo, Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Felix Jones all have the potential to be just as great as any of those (maybe not Emmitt, but Emmitt is gonna be impossible to live up to)...you have the luxury of judging the old guys 15 years after the fact.....let these guys finish before saying they cant be there.....Romo already has the numbers to be better than Troy ..he just needs the rings and he will be there

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm surprised you've been a fan for so long and it stull has not sunk in that should never read too much (maybe some, but not too much) into preseason games. There have been some pretty good Super Bowl champs that looked average in the preseason.

For example, the Cowboys totally dominated Oakland's 1st unit and lost the game. SD's 1st unit outplayed ours (as they did for the most part last year) yet they lost the game. It's preseason!

I already have said 10-6 or maybe 11-5...that will win the division and put us in the race. This team will be fine.