We will go as Dak goes

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry Jones deserves criticism but I will not criticize him for a backup quarterback option, fitting the criteria you have established, who may not be currently available for acquisition. If anything, Jones' options would be extremely limited at this time.
They may be limited at this time. But has it been limited this entire offseason ?

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They may be limited at this time. But has it been limited this entire offseason ?
Good question. What veteran quarterback, with a resume strong enough to step in for an injured Prescott and command the offense almost or as good as him, was available to Jones to acquire during the offseason?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Good question. What veteran quarterback, with a resume strong enough to step in for an injured Prescott and command the offense almost or as good as him, was available to Jones to acquire during the offseason?
And I’m criticizing now because I’ve left open the possibility he might have pursued someone .

But it doesn’t appear we ever had any intention , content with our current options in camp which IMO is worthy of being called out.

I’m not going to throw out names which can be critiqued . I think the fact we were sold on our current crop speaks volumes of our intent.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I’m criticizing now because I’ve left open the possibility he might have pursued someone .

But it doesn’t appear we ever had any intention , content with our current options in camp which IMO is worthy of being called out.

I’m not going to throw out names which can be critiqued . I think the fact we were sold on our current crop speaks volumes of our intent.
Okay.

basel90

Reaction score
Dak is not going to be an elite type QBs that can make a difference if the runnning game stalls . We have seen the losses against good teams . This is why this team is always around 8-8 . Too much money on shiny stars , not enough talent quality to afford . This strategy sells jerseys but does not win Super Bowls

Reid1boys

Reaction score
He’s also nursing a shoulder injury.

This isn’t an argument about who could challenge his starting position going in.

This is about bringing in a backup who might could have success in the event of Daks absence which could create a controversy if he was to take us further than Dak has. My point here is I don’t believe that’s a scenario our ownership wants to undertake.
and Im saying that your absolute disgust with our ownership has you painting scenarios that are ridiculous. Im telling you that unless we were bringing in mahomes, Rodgers or one of these 1st or 2nd year young stud QBs, there is absolutely ZERO chance our ownership would be worried about creating some controversy..... because NO OTHER QB IN THE LEAGUE besides those few I mentioned could create such a controversy. There is NO BACKUP in the entire league that could come in... and even if they went 6-0 in Daks absence, they would go right back to the bench upon Daks return... period. Which is exactly what would have happened to Dak is Romo were younger in 2016, because Romo was the unquestioned starter.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
He’s also nursing a shoulder injury.

This isn’t an argument about who could challenge his starting position going in.

This is about bringing in a backup who might could have success in the event of Daks absence which could create a controversy if he was to take us further than Dak has. My point here is I don’t believe that’s a scenario our ownership wants to undertake.
hes not nursing anything

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Dak is not going to be an elite type QBs that can make a difference if the runnning game stalls . We have seen the losses against good teams . This is why this team is always around 8-8 . Too much money on shiny stars , not enough talent quality to afford . This strategy sells jerseys but does not win Super Bowls
Im no Dak apologist... look at my sig line, but in the 4 full seasons with Dak, the team has avg a 10-6 season... not 8-8. In addition to that, he was absolutely on FIRE last year in those first games leading up to his injury..... even i cant deny that. Right now heading into this season, Dak is a top 8 qb in this league. This is no doubt a big year for him... but you can not deny his improvement basically each year. he is no longer a "Young qb," so there are zero excuses. It is time to put up the Ws for Dak.

basel90

Reaction score
Im no Dak apologist... look at my sig line, but in the 4 full seasons with Dak, the team has avg a 10-6 season... not 8-8. In addition to that, he was absolutely on FIRE last year in those first games leading up to his injury..... even i cant deny that. Right now heading into this season, Dak is a top 8 qb in this league. This is no doubt a big year for him... but you can not deny his improvement basically each year. he is no longer a "Young qb," so there are zero excuses. It is time to put up the Ws for Dak.
I sure hope he does. I was alarmed by his record against good teams , and some bad as well. But his play last season was mostly empty yards in futile comebacks and the team started 1-3 with him . Let us see how he does this year . Time to earn that check . the whole team's future is mortgaged on 2-3 playsrs , thanks to the FO.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
and Im saying that your absolute disgust with our ownership has you painting scenarios that are ridiculous. Im telling you that unless we were bringing in mahomes, Rodgers or one of these 1st or 2nd year young stud QBs, there is absolutely ZERO chance our ownership would be worried about creating some controversy..... because NO OTHER QB IN THE LEAGUE besides those few I mentioned could create such a controversy. There is NO BACKUP in the entire league that could come in... and even if they went 6-0 in Daks absence, they would go right back to the bench upon Daks return... period. Which is exactly what would have happened to Dak is Romo were younger in 2016, because Romo was the unquestioned starter.
But I’d still argue our ownership would rather not have a public controversy even if they didn’t have one. Last thing they need after 160 million investment .

Our ownership wanted to go with Romo but the public outcry wouldn’t stand for it . This time I think they’d still go with Dak but my point is I think they’d rather avoid such a situation. And why it’s easier just to lose without Dak.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Our dysfunctional ownership has made the decision that we’d rather the season be over than bring in anyone who could pose a threat creating any type of controversy in Daks absence if we had success.

It’s a much easier sell as most teams seasons are over if their starter goes down. But a QB with recent injury history it appears a bigger risk than needed to take folding up the tent in the event.

But perhaps with a QB who just signed a 160 million deal it’s a safe decision for our FO. The last thing they want is another situation like they had in 2016.
Jones is an idiot. Dak would have no problem with quality qb competition.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I agree our ownership believes Dak can lead us to a SB.

What they don’t want is a backup leading us to a SB before Dak does which could present a QB controversy.

So Jerry only cares to win a SB if it's Dak that leads them?

You do recall that he wouldn't let Romo start the playoff game in 2016 even though he was healthy, don't you? Jerry would dump Dak in a New York minute if some backup did better....

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Our dysfunctional ownership has made the decision that we’d rather the season be over than bring in anyone who could pose a threat creating any type of controversy in Daks absence if we had success.

It’s a much easier sell as most teams seasons are over if their starter goes down. But a QB with recent injury history it appears a bigger risk than needed to take folding up the tent in the event.

But perhaps with a QB who just signed a 160 million deal it’s a safe decision for our FO. The last thing they want is another situation like they had in 2016.
With Will Grier now signed as Dak's backup, do you change your mind now Greg?

Clearly, you started this thread early this morning before the Cowboys made it known they had just picked up Will Grier from the Jaguars practice squad.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Not after committing 160 million for next four years. We are all in on winning a SB with Dak not a backup coming in and stealing his thunder .
Greg, you are more stubborn than Jerry.

Jerry, at this point, admitted he will do anything possible to win another SB now before his days are gone.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So Jerry only cares to win a SB if it's Dak that leads them?

You do recall that he wouldn't let Romo start the playoff game in 2016 even though he was healthy, don't you? Jerry would dump Dak in a New York minute if some backup did better....
I don’t agree, circumstances are different. He just signed Dak.