We will go as Dak goes

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I think the lead should say…

“This Team Will Go As Everything Else Around Dak Goes.”

Our QB play has been more of the solution than the problem since Tony. The real questions are—

How will the offensive line hold up?
Will Zeke revert back to his previous form?
If Dak is out for a game or two can a backup hold this season together?
Will McCarthy get exposed?
Will we avoid injuries to key players?

And of course as always can the defense keep us in games, especially the pass defense?

Dak is a given. It’s everything else we have to worry about.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I believe there is a time in a QB's tenure where he can miss games and still show up and play well. Romo was like that at times.

It is to be determined what Dak will be like when he takes the field Sept 9th.

Having said that, Dak is beholding to the offensive line to give him time to process what he sees, then deliver.

My personal opinion is this team will go so far by limiting the turnovers, protecting the the QB and applying pressure to the other team's offense, be it passing or rushing.

The secondary of Dallas looks like a high school team to me. So what the front seven can do to protect them is to knock the snot out of the running backs and quarterbacks. Create havoc in the backfield of the opponent. Is that possible?

Color me skeptical.

So it comes back to a trach meet with the offense outscoring the other team. Dallas has the weapons.

But this ultimately comes back to the offensive line creating holes for the running game and protection for the passing game.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Since Zeke entered the league we have not made the playoffs unless he won the rushing title.

Stop it. It has been proven until it's been proven wrong.
No he just happened to win the rushing title that season. It had nothing to do with whether we went to the playoffs or not. And there’s only been one other running back to do it

Flamma

Reaction score
Our dysfunctional ownership has made the decision that we’d rather the season be over than bring in anyone who could pose a threat creating any type of controversy in Daks absence if we had success.

It’s a much easier sell as most teams seasons are over if their starter goes down. But a QB with recent injury history it appears a bigger risk than needed to take folding up the tent in the event.

But perhaps with a QB who just signed a 160 million deal it’s a safe decision for our FO. The last thing they want is another situation like they had in 2016.

Who are you referring to that could possibly do that? Other than Watson, I don't know of any other available QB that they'd need to worry about stealing Dak's thunder.

I get your point. Jerry doesn't want another Dak/Romo or a Wentz/Foles situation. But I don't believe he'd be willing to toss a season to prevent that. But again, who has a chance of doing that? Anything can happen and I guess there could be another Jim Plunkett out there. But this team isn't nearly good enough overall to support a QB like that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who are you referring to that could possibly do that? Other than Watson, I don't know of any other available QB that they'd need to worry about stealing Dak's thunder.

I get your point. Jerry doesn't want another Dak/Romo or a Wentz/Foles situation. But I don't believe he'd be willing to toss a season to prevent that. But again, who has a chance of doing that? Anything can happen and I guess there could be another Jim Plunkett out there. But this team isn't nearly good enough overall to support a QB like that.
That was my only point not wanting another Romo/ Dak situation. You never know who has a chance.

Who thought our 4th rd pick had a shot initially. I certainly didn’t think anyone when I posted this had a chance on our roster .

And I think our offense is richly talented enough to support another QB.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No he just happened to win the rushing title that season. It had nothing to do with whether we went to the playoffs or not. And there’s only been one other running back to do it
That’s arguable.

I don’t think it’s a mere coincidence that both of our playoff seasons in Dak era were in Zekes league rushing titles. Any more than I think the most effective year Romo had was probably when Murray led league in rushing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Our QB play has been more of the solution than the problem since Tony. The real questions are—

And of course as always can the defense keep us in games, especially the pass defense?

You missed the point of the thread which was; I’m not sure our ownership wants to win without Dak. At least not enough to potentially create another Romo/ Dak type controversy. Especially not after just signing him to 160 million.

JustChip

Reaction score
There was flawed decision making in 2016 concerning the position entering the playoffs but the situation is different in 2021. Back then, the quarterbacks involved were already on the roster. The starter went down with an injury. Then the backup fell to injury. Then the backup to the backup to the starter became the starter.

Presently, a "solution" to a hypothetical injury sustained by the starter is not Cooper Rush, correct? Who do you propose is an available (not hypothetical but available) veteran acquisition, of proven starting caliber, for Jerry Jones to secure as Dak Prescott's backup?
There’s a significant difference between 2016 and 2021 - the starter was an oft injured player much closer to the end of his career than the beginning and the backup to the backup was a rookie just starting his career. The Cowboys aren’t the first team to face this situation and favor the future over the past. The Packers with Favre (and may by going again with Rodgers) and the Colts with Manning and Luck.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score

Defense was bad last year but not I'm 17-18-19. Olines been great besides 18 and last year. Om not worried about dak to much. Expect when the offense costs dallas games by not showing up in the 1st half. Not blaming it on dak btw.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Defense was bad last year but not I'm 17-18-19. Olines been great besides 18 and last year. Om not worried about dak to much. Expect when the offense costs dallas games by not showing up in the 1st half. Not blaming it on dak btw.
Steele's crappy pass protection and Zeke's first half fumbles

nobody

Reaction score
If dak goes down, season over, period.

It would be nice if they invested in a functional backup though...so if Dak goes out for 4-8 games, we have a shot still. This is especially true given his injury last year and shoulder this year. I'm all for Dak! I want him to lead us to a SB. I don't want him to get injured. But we've had too many years of no backups worth anything, including none behind Romo and it's a very old song. QB's get injured. You need someone behind them to be able to win some games so the season isn't trashed while the QB recovers.

JustChip

Reaction score
Steele's crappy pass protection and Zeke's first half fumbles
It’s interesting that you point out Zeke for fumbling. In the 4+ games that Dak played, he had more lost fumbles than Zeke. And add to the INTs and Dak was responsible for more turnovers than Zeke.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It would be nice if they invested in a functional backup though...so if Dak goes out for 4-8 games, we have a shot still. This is especially true given his injury last year and shoulder this year. I'm all for Dak! I want him to lead us to a SB. I don't want him to get injured. But we've had too many years of no backups worth anything, including none behind Romo and it's a very old song. QB's get injured. You need someone behind them to be able to win some games so the season isn't trashed while the QB recovers.
100%

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
if Jason Garrett wouldn't have been fire, release, or shown the door, he could have built up the backup quarterbacks like he did when romo went down. Jason did a legendary job.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That’s arguable.

I don’t think it’s a mere coincidence that both of our playoff seasons in Dak era were in Zekes league rushing titles. Any more than I think the most effective year Romo had was probably when Murray led league in rushing.
I believe the team took a steer, not Elliot not Prescott. My response was someone who never Gives Prescott credit