Week one and Dak Prescott

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
When was Romo making 40 mill a year on a team that needs players? Dak knows the more he makes the less we can pay others. A single dude really needs 40mil a year, ah.....why?

What do ya do with 40 milllion dolllars?

Jerry's yacht cost $250 million dollars. Dak could barely make the down payment on that with $40 million.

Spending $40 million these days would take maybe a week, and that's not including upkeep on a mansion, etc.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Yes he is but.....why in the hell is he STILL doing TV commercials, how much $$$$ does this guy need?

What? Why does it matter to you? He needs as much money as HE thinks he needs. It’s none of your business.

RaZon

Reaction score
What? Why does it matter to you? He needs as much money as HE thinks he needs. It’s none of your business.

When his need for $$$$ effects my Cowboys, yep....my/our business.

Look at Zeke, all that $$$$$ and he simply isn;t worth it.

RaZon

Reaction score
So are you saying I should reject my next raise?

I mean, if I make over $50k a year, don't you think a person making minimum wage (or $15/hr) might think $50k is a little excessive?

Hell, what if I had the skills to hold a job that pays $100k a year? $1 million? Should I say "yeah, I'll do the job, but please, for the love of life, don't pay me that much so we can hire more employees?"

Some people man.
:laugh:

Does what you make effect the business?

Scotman

Reaction score
I truly thought Dak was fantastic. I was a hard sell. I was worried about him coming back and how he'd respond. He was simply stellar. I am beyond happy to have him as our QB.

But, I don't think I've ever watched Brady play as much as I did last night. I just don't care about games not involving the Cowboys. Brady was as good as advertised. He left me speechless performing that well at 44 years old. Just a stud.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Does what you make effect the business?
:lmao2:

I mean you can't be freaking serious, are you? OBVIOUSLY paying an employee ANYTHING effects the business.

While businesses do not have a "salary cap" they do have a budget. And in that budget there is usually a section for "headcount" which is how many employees the company can afford to make sure they meet the goals that the company has planned for and not lose money in the process.

So let's say my headcount budget was $600k for the year and I have a pool of similarly skilled candidates. Do I take 10 people at $60k a year, or do I take 40 people at $15k a year to reach the company goal(s)? Do you think the 10 higher paid people can out produce the 40 less paid people? Probably not if they are similarly skilled.

So are YOU willing to work for $15k a year if the usual rate is $60k a year? Ya, you may make a lot less, but you theoretically would only have to do 1/4 the work if you didn't take up the salary I could have used to hire 3 extra employees.

On the flip side, what do I do if I hire you at $60k/yr but you don't produce as well as 4 $15k/yr people? I probably fire (cut) you.

So I hope you have the skills to warrant that salary, and if you do, I'm not worried about how many "average" applicants I may have missed out on.

I mean, it is said quite a bit that the "NFL is a business". The fact that some still can't see it is beyond me.

RaZon

Reaction score
:lmao2:

I mean you can't be freaking serious, are you? OBVIOUSLY paying an employee ANYTHING effects the business.

While businesses do not have a "salary cap" they do have a budget. And in that budget there is usually a section for "headcount" which is how many employees the company can afford to make sure they meet the goals that the company has planned for and not lose money in the process.

So let's say my headcount budget was $600k for the year and I have a pool of similarly skilled candidates. Do I take 10 people at $60k a year, or do I take 40 people at $15k a year to reach the company goal(s)? Do you think the 10 higher paid people can out produce the 40 less paid people? Probably not if they are similarly skilled.

So are YOU willing to work for $15k a year if the usual rate is $60k a year? Ya, you may make a lot less, but you theoretically would only have to do 1/4 the work if you didn't take up the salary I could have used to hire 3 extra employees.

On the flip side, what do I do if I hire you at $60k/yr but you don't produce as well as 4 $15k/yr people? I probably fire (cut) you.

So I hope you have the skills to warrant that salary, and if you do, I'm not worried about how many "average" applicants I may have missed out on.

I mean, it is said quite a bit that the "NFL is a business". The fact that some still can't see it is beyond me.

Do you make an amount custom made for just you? I sold insurance, I got 37% on the sell then 15% renewals. Nothing personal about it. When your pay is personal is what I'm talking about. Look at Zeke is he really worth all that $$$, hell no he isn't. And while Dak is good he isn't better than 4/5 better than him who make less.

Dak is a single guy, how can ya justify 40 mill a year? Why does this guy need that kind of $$$$$. THEN....all that endorsement $$$$$$, wow!

And unless your pay is designed especially for you it doesn't effect your biz, since anyone doing that job makes the same. Some jobs pay for what a job calls for, a chef making more than a waitress.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Not about that, it;s about a guy who makes more than any NFLer thinking he needs to be doing TV commercials for more $$$$. Really?

So you'd stand by and watch a player you guys need go over $$$$ knowing you could help?

Who has left Dallas since Dak signed his deal? This seems like a reach, man. Dak's cap number this year is 22 million.. leaving the Cowboys what 170? million to sign everybody else? I hear what you're saying about nobody NEEDING 40 million a year.. But that's the biz.. Top actors make more than that.. Top musicians make double that.. I have no issue with paying football players.. By the way, he was doing those ads before he every got signed to big $$$$.. Might he have multiyear contract with those companies and is fulfilling his obligation?

RaZon

Reaction score
Actors and Muscians don't perform depending on a team that surrounds them. Let that stud tackle go over $$$$$, let your top WR leave over $$$$$. While there you are making ridiculous $$$$$. Just something wrong when a guy who isn't even the best in his biz making that kind of $$$$$$.

The Pats won all those SB's because they never had that QB making all the $$$$$$ problem.

He makes 50 mill a year in endorsements. and has no shoes to buy no mouths to feed.

The guy makes too much $$$$$, we all know it.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Actors and Muscians don't perform depending on a team that surrounds them. Let that stud tackle go over $$$$$, let your top WR leave over $$$$$. While there you are making ridiculous $$$$$. Just something wrong when a guy who isn't even the best in his biz makes that kind of $$$$$$.

The Pats won all those SB's because they never had that QB making all the $$$$$$ problem.

He makes 50 mill a year in endorsements. and had no shoes to buy no mouths to feed.

The Pats won all those Super Bowls because they had a top 5 defense more often than not. Wake me when some great player leaves because of Dak's deal. I strongly suspect that like Aikman and Romo before him, Dak will be restructuring his deal for the next 10 years to make sure the teammates the front office wants to keep are able to be retained. Brady made more last year than Dak had made in his entire career up until last season.. So the QB salary isn't the issue and never has been.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
When was Romo making 40 mill a year on a team that needs players? Dak knows the more he makes the less we can pay others. A single dude really needs 40mil a year, ah.....why?

What do ya do with 40 milllion dolllars?
Whatever he wants to. LOL

SackMaster

Reaction score
Do you make an amount custom made for just you? I sold insurance, I got 37% on the selll then 15% renewals. Nothing personal about it. When your pay is personal is what I;m talking about. Look at Zeke is he really worth all that $$$, hell no he isn't. And while Dak is good he isn't better than 4/5 better than him who make less.

Dak is a single guy, how can ya justify 40 mill a year? Why does this guy need that kind of $$$$$. THEN....all that endorsement $$$$$$, wow!

And unless your pay is designs especially for you it doesn't effect your biz, since anyone ding that job makes the same.
That is COMPLETELY wrong, at least in skilled labor markets.

While most people start in the same general area, the fact of the matter is, based off performance, two people doing the "same job" with the "same title" could be paid vastly different.

Hell, even for new hires, I have seen situations where the company was willing to pay 20% more than normal to get a specific guy in if he turned down the initial offer. But if an "average" candidate turned down the initial offer, we would not make a counter offer.

Have you ever heard of comp ratio? Let say the average salary for a particular position / title is $100k a year. A comp ratio is a range of pay that could be 20% higher and 20% lower than that average salary. So two people with the same title could be separated by $40k a year in salary difference. The lower employee would be making $80k a year (.80 or 80%) while the top end could be making $120k a year (1.2 or 120%).

Now if you want to talk about performance vs pay in the NFL. OK, cool, I feel ya on that.

But if you are crying because the MARKET for a specific position is too high, I couldn't care less.

Does anyone NEED $40 million a year? I would say no.
Am I upset that Dak makes $40 million a year as an NFL QB?
No. That is what QBs are paid, and well within the comp ration for the position, so good for the young man. And IMO, it he IS worth it.

Is Zeke worth his contract? .... maybe? maybe not?
Is Jaylon worth his contract? LOLz, you are funny if you think so.

All I'm saying is, if McDonalds decided to pay you $40 million a year, would you not take it?
I would hope you would jump at that opportunity. And if you have kids, that is generational wealth that can change everything.

Would I care if you made $40 million a year serving fries in the drive thru? Absolutely not.

The only reason I would care is if they started charging $40 for a Big Mac. In that case, I'll just go to Burger King and I wish you the best on holding onto the big salary.

I try not to worry about what other people are doing / making. I got enough problems of my own to deal with.
:thumbup:

blueblood70

Reaction score
i will judge dak after 17 games are fully played but hes off to great start..