CZ POLL Weekly Poll: Do you want Romo to start when healthy or stick with Dak? **ended**

Do you want Romo to start when healthy or stick with Dak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ummm that's a stretch :facepalm:

Go to the Rant Forum and see the thread claiming Zeke was still a mistake. The thread was started back in Sept but there's still those who would be more than happy to go back to McFadden if we could have that 4th overall pick back. There's one poster who still thinks the OL makes the back despite Alfred Morris averaging 3.8 a carry this season.

I'm currently arguing with someone who's trying to convince me how great a season McFadden had last season and thinks he could have had 1600 yards with Romo at QB. lol He's another one who would be more than happy to have stayed with McFadden at RB. Just look at the poll results on the QB situation. There's not a wackier FAN base than the Cowboys have.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Yep. The NFC is just a bunch of mediocre teams this year. I doubt Dallas is as good as New England or Denver, but all they've gotta do is get to the Super Bowl, and then anything can happen.

I'm not buying much into Denver. They can be had but if we have to face an AFC team in the playoffs, well then we are doing well for ourselves. At that point, bring on anyone. I think the Pats will end up getting there. I don't see anyone beating them if they get homefield.

This is not like 2014 where there was a clear top tier of teams which was us, GB and Seattle. Right now it's us and then a next tier of teams jumbled up. Falcons could be dangerous with their offense but I don't trust Matt Ryan to ever come up big. Shaky defense, too.

We will know much more after this next month of games. By then, everyone will show themselves as who they really are.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Go to the Rant Forum and see the thread claiming Zeke was still a mistake. The thread was started back in Sept but there's still those who would be more than happy to go back to McFadden if we could have that 4th overall pick back. There's one poster who still thinks the OL makes the back despite Alfred Morris averaging 3.8 a carry this season.

I'm currently arguing with someone who's trying to convince me how great a season McFadden had last season and thinks he could have had 1600 yards with Romo at QB. lol He's another one who would be more than happy to have stayed with McFadden at RB. Just look at the poll results on the QB situation. There's not a wackier FAN base than the Cowboys have.

People still can't differentiate between yards on a stat sheet and what the yards actually meant in the game. Most of our rushing yards last year were empty yards. They did not have much of an impact. As opposed to this year and 2014 with Murray. Randle and McFadden never impacted a game like Zeke and Murray did. This offense is predicated on having a bell cow, feature back. Not a RB by committee. That is the reason we took Zeke. Let's say we took Ramsey, whom is what many wanted if not Zeke. Are we 6-1 with Morris as our guy and other average guys as a committee? I don't think we are. Remember, Zeke is doing this against a loaded box because teams are still daring Dak to beat them. Once he becomes established and progresses over a time, it will open up even more from Zeke.

Look how far he has came since that really bad week 1. Every week he is getting better. That seems like a lifetime ago with that game compared to now.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wow, where to begin...

First, unless Romo is just totally shot from his injuries, there is no way Dak is a better passer than him. I would not put Romo back in unless he is back to 100%, but if he can show that he's fully himself, he is the better QB.

Second, the idea that Dak won it last night but Romo couldnt have is ridiculius. Were you watching? Dak played terrible for the vast majority of the game. If we had better QB play early on, a comeback wouldn't have even been necessary because we would have won going away.

Third, your swipe at Romo supporters is way off the mark. I can think Dak is "special" and that we "hit the Powerball" in drafting him, and still think he has some serious developing to do. I can recognize his awesome poise and ability, while also believing Romo is the better quarterback and better option for a deep playoff run.

I'm not saying that Dak is the better "passer" than Romo but he's a very good passer and he's going to get better. If someone who's been out of the loop for the past few months just looked at the passing stats this season, they would think it was Romo at QB. The only thing that would throw them off is the 4 rushing TD's Dak has but the completion percentage and the passer rating are on par with Romo. I didn't say Dak won the game last night but he played a huge part with that last ditch drive in regulation and the drive in OT. One mistake would have cost us the game on the final drive in regulation, that was a do or die drive and we needed a TD. In OT on a very critical 4th and one, Dak QB sneaked and got the first down. We wouldn't have ran a sneak with Romo. Dak clearly has some developing to do but his game right now is at a higher level than I've seen a rookie QB in a very long time.

You rarely ever see a rookie QB who's facing a fierce pass rush in a come from behind situation make the plays Dak did last night. Most rookie QBs wilt under the pressure of a last ditch do or die drive facing that kind of pass rush and end up throwing a pick. When Dak threw the pick right before the half, he didn't get rattled by it. We've seen with Romo in the past that he has a tendency to compound one big mistake with another, especially facing a stiff pass rush. We saw that against Carolina last season, he tends to melt down and press in those situations. Dak didn't press, he maintained his poise and hung in despite some of the hits that may have injured Romo. I just can't see the Romo of "today" hanging in against that Philly pass rush. Romo throws picks and takes sacks. Dak has only been sacked 11 times this season. He got out of predicaments last night due to his legs that Romo would have never gotten out of.

He was able to unload the ball in situations where Romo would have taken a sack. There was a free run at Dak with an empty backfield in which Romo would have gotten leveled but Dak was able to get rid of the ball just in time. He still took a big hit but that could have been a sack and fumble with Romo. Dak could have folded last night but he didn't on two great drives that he ended with TD passes. It's not going to be perfect every week but despite the game he was having he still found a way to hang in and make the plays when it mattered the most. That says a lot about him as a QB. He has certain intangibles that I haven't seen with Romo. I never once felt last night that he was going to make the big mistake that was going to cost us that game in the end. He has that "it" factor that's special and you could see it when the game was on the line last night.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Third, your swipe at Romo supporters is way off the mark. I can think Dak is "special" and that we "hit the Powerball" in drafting him, and still think he has some serious developing to do. I can recognize his awesome poise and ability, while also believing Romo is the better quarterback and better option for a deep playoff run.

Name the last time we've gone on a "deep" playoff run with Romo? I'll give you a hint...never! We've never gotten past the second round of the playoffs with Romo. Not trying to put all the blame on him but we've never gotten far with him and we're certainly not going to get far with him now, coming off a ton of missed games and a broken back. You're a Romo FAN, your username says it all. Why go back to where we've been with Romo? Why repeat the same seasons over and over?

We have a young rookie QB who's looking special, that's energized the franchise and even has this defense that looks like nothing on paper, stepping up. Romo has been a very good QB but we've never gotten far with him and I believe we have a QB now that we can go a long way with. Dak has given the franchise real hope.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Romo. Daks accuracy and mechanics need major work.

We are built to win now. Romo gives us the better chance to win this year. Let Dak work on his flaws and come back even better next year...
This defense is definitely not built to win now, not at all. Our pass rush is trash. Now with our future QB in place, we can invest heavily in pass rushers, but as of right now our pass rush is one of the worst in the league without a doubt. We could definitely make a playoff run, just when we get up against explosive offenses like the Falcons or Patriots the defense could be in trouble. Plus, we've lost our best CB

Last edited:

USMarineVet

Reaction score
Interesting how the board voted overwhelmingly to keep Dak at the helm last week, and after a so-so game Dak is getting dumped on this week. If the roles were reversed and Romo had the bad game, the trend would shift as well. Just goes to show you how many fair weather fans we have here.

I couldn't be happier that Dak is acclimating to the league as well and as fast as he is; but IMO there is no substitute for the knowledge and experience that goes along with the talent that both have.

The big difference I see between Romo and Prescott, talent-wise, is Dak's ability to run; which is a very dangerous and welcome option. On the other hand, Romo has more precision with his throws and a better recognition of opposing defenses.

It's a great problem to have and I'm glad we're the ones who have it. But I will continue to support Romo's return when "fully" healthy and let Dak hold the clipboard and continue his learning process. I love the fact that Dak is getting game experience, but can anyone argue that he still doesn't has a lot to learn?

You also have to consider that Romo has been a warrior for this team and you don't just throw him out with the trash. When it's time for Romo to ride out into the sunset, I hope it will be on his terms. And those terms should be based on when Dak's performance outweighs Romo's and not because of an unexpected injury. Of course if Romo is injured again, his health and family should come first, but that's a decision he will have to make.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
This defense is definitely not built to win now, not at all. Our pass rush is trash. Now with our future QB in place, we can invest heavily in pass rushers, but as of right now our pass rush is one of the worst in the league without a doubt. We could definitely make a playoff run, just when we get up against explosive offenses like the Falcons or Patriots the defense could be in trouble. Plus, we've lost our best CB
Who in the NFC would you fear playing in the playoffs?

JJHLH1

Reaction score
If Romo were the QB, we wouldn't have been behind by 10 points. Dak only completed 19 passes. He is special but he really struggled for most of that game.

Big Ben struggled mightily against the Eagles defense. He had no TD's, 1 INT, barely completed 50% of his passes. The Steelers list 34-3. Romo might not have beaten the Eagles. There are no guarantees.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Last night convinced me that Dak is our future.

It also convinced me that right now, at this stage in their respective careers, a healthy Romo is a better passer and all-around quarterback than Dak.
I think they stay with Dak--I mean it's hard to mess with 6-1.
But I don't see how last night would have been the game to change your mind. If anything, it should have added pause.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
I would trust Dak Prescott more in the playoffs than Tony Romo at any point in his career. Just go back and look at his history. There's always a reason he loses, it's always something. What I'm learning about Dak is that the guy lives football, meaning, he will get better and better. Imagine how he'd be in 3 years, you know the time we give most QBs. I'm just done waiting for 10 years for Romo to take us home, we don't have another 10 years to wait. It's just time to try something new. If it doesn't work, then back to the draft.

All folks can talk about is 2014, the last I checked, Tony's been in the league for 13 years and was the starter for 10 of those when he wasn't hurt. The 2014 amazing regular season that ended in disaster after a first round lucky playoff victory. I personally believe that he gets hurt because of his lack of weight lifting and build. He seems a little squishy to me. As you get older, you need to make your body rock hard to absorb a lot of the strenuous hits you'll be taking as a QB.

Our expectations have lowered to record lows in 20 years. Mine hasn't, I have high hopes for this team going forward and I'm not willing retract in time to the misery we've gone through for 20 years.

I like Tony and feels he always gets tight in the big games. He is also more visibly, emotionally up and down. Dak seems more even keel. I'm not saying this is bad nor good, just an observation. I do believe this will take care of itself. Keep playing Dak and if you need a spark, put Romo in later. That is the only move to keep team harmony. The coaches know it, the players know. People on this board don't know it.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
i have never been a big Romo fan, i've always thought he chokes in big situations for the most part and I would have been glad to move on from him to find someone who could lead us to a super bowl....

...BUT....

....if you are asking me would i rather have a hot rookie QB through 7 games in there instead of Romo, that answer would have to be no. Romo knows and understands the entire offense. Dak Prescott does not. Romo may be a choker, but is Dak a better QB? No chance. I let Romo go as long as we can afford to on the bench but when it comes to the stretch run when we are protecting a division lead, I want Romo in there. The end of the year would be a bad time for your rookie QB to start having growing pains.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak has a long ways to go before he is a better QB than Romo. Lets not fool ourselves.

Dak is better than Romo is right now because he's young, healthy and he's been playing all season. Those who think Romo is going to hit the ground running after all the time he's missed and play as efficiently as Dak has played are fooling themselves. Romo has missed his last 12 regular season games and hasn't played a regular season game since last November. It's been a full year since he faced a regular season pass rush. There's NO WAY he comes back looking efficient and sharp after that kind of layoff recovering from a broken back. In his last two regular season starts he had 5 INT's mainly because of rust and because he gets loose with his throws. You're not going to get the 2014 Romo if he sees the field again, you're going to get an even rustier version of the Romo we got last season. In less than 4 games last year he had 7 INT's, while Dak has only thrown 2 picks in 7 games. I'm as honest about Romo as you'll find on this board and he would not have held up to Philly's pass rush on Sunday Night. He would have been sacked at least 6-7 times and may have thrown 2-3 picks. I'm not even sure he would have gotten through the game without sustaining another injury because even Dak took some real shots.

Go back and watch the tape of the jams Dak got out and was able to turn some of those jams into real positive plays because he can run. He's accounted for 13 TD's this season passing and running. The read option element he brings to our offense is very difficult to defend. He's literally walked into the endzone twice because it's so difficult to defend. The poise and composure he showed in the face of Philly's pass rush was unlike anything I've seen from a Cowboys QB since the days of Staubach and Aikman. He faced real adversity for the first time all season and stood up to it when the game was on the line. When it mattered most he made the critical plays and avoided the big mistake. I can't recall any game in Romo's career where the team got down by 2 scores to a real good defensive team that had a strong pass rush, where he was able to maintain his poise and bring the team back. He's melted down in those situations due to the pass rush, we saw it against Carolina's pass rush last season. He tends to press and Dak didn't press which is incredible for a rookie QB. The composure he showed was remarkable and there's intangibles he has that I've never seen with Romo.

Some of you are dreaming if think Romo is going to come back and play better than Dak has this season and suffer as few turnovers as Dak. Romo is bound to be tentative about taking hits and he's going to be RUSTY. Even in preseason Dak was more efficient than Romo and not one QB in the league during preseason had a higher passer rating than Dak. His play has carried over to the regular season and Jerry has been so impressed he doesn't want to take him out. He and the rest of the organization can see they have something special with Dak. Romo has always been a very good QB but he was never special. We've only been able to get so far with him. When you see a team step up around a QB like this team has stepped up around Dak you have something very special at the position. The game on Sunday Night reminded me of some of the games with Staubach, the way the defense would step up and make a play just to get Roger the ball back. This team believes in Dak, he has that look when he comes up to the line of scrimmage like he's going to make the play and get it done. It wouldn't shock me if he ends up being the first rookie to ever play in a SB, just wish we had a better defense. He won't hold us back, it will be the defense.

Last edited:

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Who in the NFC would you fear playing in the playoffs?
Fear? I don't know if I'd fear anyone, but I think Seattle and Atlanta would be tough games. It has been proven over the past several years that a strong pass rush is pretty much required to win the superbowl . Obviously Denver and Seattle had them , and even the Patriots had a better pass rush than we have now. Not having a good pass rush killed us in 2014, and when it comes playoff time it could happen again. I definitely think there's a decent possibility of us getting through the NFC, but when we get up against the Patriots (or even the steelers with a healthy QB ) our defense could get crushed .

Status
Not open for further replies.