Video: We've seen Romo deliver plenty of these type of games Dak just had, yet doesn't get the same grief?

Carl23

Reaction score
Romo is the only reason we got to 8 wins in any one season. His OL stunk. The defenses he was paired with stunk. Yet, somehow, he managed to pull out numerous victories that should have been a loss. If we were to lose Dak tomorrow, we would still compete with Cooper Rush. Romo kept us from getting a high draft pick each year. Dak doesn't do that. If Romo had Zeke and this defense we would be pushing for the SB each and every year. Romo threw people open (Dez, anyone?). Dak misses wide open receivers regularly.

It is a shame we wasted the career of a great football player.

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
IMO everyone needs to remember the NFL is not a game of perfect. Winning it was matters regardless of the struggle to get there.
Eli Manning is a terrible quarterback. that said, he has two Super Bowls to his name. So I agree with your statement to a degree. A stout defense can overcome a mediocre offense. If a mediocre offense can make just enough plays to win the game

InTheZone

Reaction score
This game should have been deja vu for many of us.
As great as the D has played for 3 quarters, I had that same old pit in my stomach as I knew they were gonna let the Eagles continue to score until it came down to who had the ball last. We've seen this same movie before.

Romo has delivered these type of games over the years... bad to mediocre for a few quarters, then ball out in the 4th to win it or score then watch the defense let the opposition walk down the field and win it.
Dak played poorly but didn't put his head down. He stood tall and played with guts. He's a work in progress but the kid has a moxy/clutch gene that very few have, even those with more physical talents.

We deify Romo but seem to forget the numerous games that he had that were carbon copies of tonight.
Remember these?

(Look at these awful INT throws.)

(The "Witten tackling a cheerleader" game.)

Dak has another yr left on his rookie contract. He's frustrating as heck sometimes but let's hope and see if the guy can get better. No, he's not the passer Romo became (and didn't benefit from sitting 4 years behind veterans) but its possible he can tweak some things in his game to become better.

The vitriol around here is ridiculous. The same way we defended Romo from outside critics is the same way some of us are defending Dak from his own fanbase. Sad.

Everyone called out romo including myself for those games where he was playing bad and managed a win. Difference was he was hardly the reason for us being down in so many games. Dak is consistently awful or average then gets propped as a franchise guy compared to Brees, Rodgers, Brady, etc for making 2-3 plays all game.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
As great as the D has played for 3 quarters, I had that same old pit in my stomach as I knew they were gonna let the Eagles continue to score until it came down to who had the ball last. We've seen this same movie before.

Romo has delivered these type of games over the years... bad to mediocre for a few quarters, then ball out in the 4th to win it or score then watch the defense let the opposition walk down the field and win it.
Dak played poorly but didn't put his head down. He stood tall and played with guts. He's a work in progress but the kid has a moxy/clutch gene that very few have, even those with more physical talents.

We deify Romo but seem to forget the numerous games that he had that were carbon copies of tonight.
Remember these?

Dak has another yr left on his rookie contract. He's frustrating as heck sometimes but let's hope and see if the guy can get better. No, he's not the passer Romo became (and didn't benefit from sitting 4 years behind veterans) but its possible he can tweak some things in his game to become better.

The vitriol around here is ridiculous. The same way we defended Romo from outside critics is the same way some of us are defending Dak from his own fanbase. Sad.

Defense bailed Romo out in the Bills game, when you think about how 14 points was on Romo. Much like how the D helped out Dak in these last couple of games. And Dak overcoming his mistakes to win over Philly, is bigger than what Romo did, just because of Dak's game being for the NFC East title (basically) and for a sweep of a division rival.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

Remember these?

What world do you live in? Romo was crucified on a weekly basis by half the fan base. Because a few Romo lovers still talk about him and claim he is better and would do this and that doesn’t mean he wasn’t criticized. Personally, I think Romo took 10 times the heat Dak is getting.

tm1119

Reaction score
Romo used to be bashed constantly, just like Dak

And I believe if Social Media existed back then, Troy would have been a bum and many would have wished Staubach would have stayed in the Military.

If I'm a QB agent, I don't even consider Dallas as a team since their fan base will turn on the QB whenever he misses a THROW, let alone loses a game.

It’s every fan base except for a select handful (Brady, Brees, etc). The saying that “the most popular player is the backup QB” exists for a reason. Not defending the rationale...just saying that it’s not only a Dallas thing

JS22

Reaction score
lol. Crazy how cowboys fans are salty after pretty much clinching the division and winning 5 straight just because their hatred for dak runs so DEEP.

I was referring to the original thread creator making this just to stir the pot.

But anyway, salty? What? I am thrilled that the Cowboys have won 5 straight. And I am neither a Dak bandwagoner or Dak hater. The dude is frustrating as hell and amazing all at the same time ... And he is CLUTCH. If he can just hold onto the ball and hit half of his deep passes he'll be damn near unstoppable.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
the thing is you have to selectively choose Romo games to bash him. I can show you 10 games since last year that show Dak being a terrible QB.
No, you don't. It's easy to bash a QB and Romo haters used to pick out every single mistake he made to harp on, just like some people do with Dak now.

I used to defend Romo but now I'm a hater simply because the narrative has changed. I can rip his 2014 GB playoff game to shreds using the same complaints people have with Dak, yet Romo had amazing numbers. Let's see...GB was stacking the box all game long and Romo just dinked and dunked. He didn't stretch the defense out until our final offensive play in the game, which he should have hit a wide open Beasley for a 1st down. He took 3 horrible sacks and he fumbled a crucial 3rd and short play at the end of the first half.

You could pretty much do that with almost every game, regardless of how good the numbers are.

Last edited:

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Romo's in the past, we should add him to the Ring of Honor and move on. He ain't coming back.

How about comparing Romo to Danny White, or Troy? Right now, that's more apt. Let's compare Romo to past Cowboys QB with their careers completed.

Comparing the current QB who is still early in his career to the full career of Romo's (or the full career of Troy's or White's), it's just silly. When Dak's Cowboys career is over, THEN let's breakout all the comparisons.

Hec, Romo didn't start right away...but Dak did, as a rookie, so apples and oranges.

Let's just give this a rest for now, and circle back to this when Dak is no longer playing in the NFL or for the Cowboys at least.

So, today, let's compare Romo to Danny White, and Troy, and Staubach...and Quincy Carter. ;)

Nav22

Reaction score
When I think of all the unwarranted hate Dak gets from Cowboys fans, it annoys me... until I remember that Tony Freaking Romo never got his due from a large faction of Cowboys fans.

I’m pretty sure Dak could win a Super Bowl and his haters would say, “We won in spite of Dak! Once we get a REAL QB we’re looking at a dynasty!!!”

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
When I think of all the unwarranted hate Dak gets from Cowboys fans, it annoys me... until I remember that Tony Freaking Romo never got his due from a large faction of Cowboys fans.

I’m pretty sure Dak could win a Super Bowl and his haters would say, “We won in spite of Dak! Once we get a REAL QB we’re looking at a dynasty!!!”

Yep! We hated on Romo, we're going to hate on Dak too...even if have success. We're a fickle bunch. We'd find a way to complain about Brees (he still makes too many mistakes in key games), Rodgers (sure his arm is great, but he can't get over the hump consistently, only one Superbowl????), and Roethlisberger (takes wayyyyyy too many sacks, and throws wayyyy too many picks, we should have won 5 Superbowls, not just 2!).

It's who we are...I've accepted it. LOL

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Yeah, Romo was never raked over the coals for every misstep. Nope, not never.

Yes, he was. Every I-N-T, every bonehead play, every time he couldn't escape and got sacked...he got crucified.

Some of it was warranted, some not....such is life.

And of course Romo fumbled a lot inside the pocket as well, because like Dak, he was always trying to 'make a play' instead of just throwing the ball away.

Last edited:

SackMaster

Reaction score
It’s every fan base except for a select handful (Brady, Brees, etc). The saying that “the most popular player is the backup QB” exists for a reason. Not defending the rationale...just saying that it’s not only a Dallas thing
I don't disagree.

But how many times does a team go on pretty good winning streak and the fans STILL call for the backup QB?

I get it when you are loosing. I think it is absolutely absurd when they are winning. Especially when a lot of those wins were in a lot of games they had "no chance" of winning.

Etchyboy

Reaction score

Remember these?

I have that Buffalo game on dvd... it was a classic.

dfense

Reaction score
I believe he received lots of criticism at that time.