Video: We've seen Romo deliver plenty of these type of games Dak just had, yet doesn't get the same grief?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Romo is the only reason we got to 8 wins in any one season.
Just curious...if Romo was the only reason why we got to 8 wins in a season, how was it that we were 1-5 with Romo as a starter in 2010, and 5-5 in games not started by Romo?

This is a narrative used to just pump Romo up. If we didn't have Romo we would have found another QB. And, while there are games he may have saved from loses in those 8-8 seasons, there are also games he blew.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
If Tony ever had a defense half as good as the one we have this year he'd of won multiple SB's.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Romo got plenty of criticism over the years. Some deservedly so and some not his fault but due to years with no OL and protection.

He was good, a poor man's version of Farve but usually without the overall talent around him that Farve had. Romo would make sensational plays and put up good numbers but also often made too many boneheaded throws and int's that cost us.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
This is why the Romo thing keeps coming up.

Romo would be forced to win games despite the team.
Recently, the team has been winning games despite Dak.

But as long as the TEAM is winning, isn't that more important? Romo's done. So the comparison is a moot point. We don't have the choice. Dak is it, for now. So, can't we just focus on the winning right now, as a team...and not trying to compare Dak to Romo, a veteran QB with a complete career? Why are we not comparing Dak to Staubach, or Troy, or QC?

Let's just let Dak be Dak...

mrmojo

Reaction score
Just curious...if Romo was the only reason why we got to 8 wins in a season, how was it that we were 1-5 with Romo as a starter in 2010, and 5-5 in games not started by Romo?

This is a narrative used to just pump Romo up. If we didn't have Romo we would have found another QB. And, while there are games he may have saved from loses in those 8-8 seasons, there are also games he blew.
He also contributed to those 8-8s, he was what he was. I thought he was really coming into his own in 2014 but after that season his body just couldn't hold up.

Last edited:

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
If Tony ever had a defense half as good as the one we have this year he'd of won multiple SB's.

Maybe, maybe not. We don't know.

So, it's an empty, never-can-be-proven statement. It's this team, right now...let's move forward. The past is done.

paladin

Reaction score
The difference is:
Romo's got TONS of (sometimes) undeserved criticism when he LOST.
Daks gets abused when we actually win vital games, I'm amazed that we are leading the division.. frankly, I predicted we'd finish 3rd.
I think all would agree that Dak is not elite... but Romo's 3rd season was spent still just holding a clipboard & learning.
I wonder where Dak would be if given the same circumstances..wasn't Romo's 1st QB coach Sean Payton?

whynot

Reaction score
But as long as the TEAM is winning, isn't that more important? Romo's done. So the comparison is a moot point. We don't have the choice. Dak is it, for now. So, can't we just focus on the winning right now, as a team...and not trying to compare Dak to Romo, a veteran QB with a complete career? Why are we not comparing Dak to Staubach, or Troy, or QC?

Let's just let Dak be Dak...

It’s more complicated because Dak was given Romo’s job and Romo wasn’t given it back.

If Dak had continued to play like he did in 2016, people would have been comparing him to Romo the same way they compared Romo to Bledsoe.

Instead, Dak played like he did in 2017 and in 2018 he wins 5 games in a row, all but locks up the division and yet #daksucks trends on Twitter.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
It’s more complicated because Dak was given Romo’s job and Romo wasn’t given it back.

If Dak had continued to play like he did in 2016, people would have been comparing him to Romo the same way they compared Romo to Bledsoe.

Instead, Dak played like he did in 2017 and in 2018 he wins 5 games in a row, all but locks up the division and yet #daksucks trends on Twitter.

It's not complicated, JJ made the decision. So, it's done.

I don't care if everyone thinks Dak sucks, we're winning. The TEAM is winning. With Dak at the helm.

It's Twitter, who the hell cares? Everyone and everything is hated on Twitter.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The difference is:
Romo's got TONS of (sometimes) undeserved criticism when he LOST.
Daks gets abused when we actually win vital games, I'm amazed that we are leading the division.. frankly, I predicted we'd finish 3rd.
I think all would agree that Dak is not elite... but Romo's 3rd season was spent still just holding a clipboard & learning.
I wonder where Dak would be if given the same circumstances..wasn't Romo's 1st QB coach Sean Payton?
Dak came in as a seasoned 3 year SEC starter.
Romo came in off the golf course. :laugh:

Seriously though. It's a mixed bag on Romo sitting. Of course we all know he wasn't ready his 1st year, but it gets more debatable in years 2 and especially 3. If he could've gotten some experience earlier maybe ...maybe..his first two playoff seasons may have ended better. I know thing for sure...he would not a been a freaking special teams holder in the playoffs.:thumbup:
Dallas did advance in the playoffs his last two appearances.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Romo was in the position of having to be more aggressive then was safe because he spent so much time on teams with poor defenses. The difference here is that Dak makes throws that cause one to question whether he is capable of throwing the ball necessary for an NFL QB. That was never the case for Romo.

I will say that Dak comes through when the mental pressure mounts. He has shown that repeatedly already in just this short time.
With Romo it wasn't whether he could make the throw, it was the case of why did he attempt the throw. Some QBs with the big arms never learn the mental side of the position. Romo eventually did, but guys like Cutler, Stafford, etc never really do. Dak for all his faults, is a mentally tough kid and doesn't shrink in those moments. I think the jury is still out on how good Dak could be, but think a different OC would be a big help.

Here we are with a different QB and hearing that defenders are sitting on certain routes, because they know what's coming. Dak doesn't have that experience yet that Romo did to do it on his own, but now that he has a WR he obviously has confidence in, a different OC can help develop a little more aggressiveness. At least an OC with less predictability would be a help.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
This game should have been deja vu for many of us.
As great as the D has played for 3 quarters, I had that same old pit in my stomach as I knew they were gonna let the Eagles continue to score until it came down to who had the ball last. We've seen this same movie before.

Romo has delivered these type of games over the years... bad to mediocre for a few quarters, then ball out in the 4th to win it or score then watch the defense let the opposition walk down the field and win it.
Dak played poorly but didn't put his head down. He stood tall and played with guts. He's a work in progress but the kid has a moxy/clutch gene that very few have, even those with more physical talents.

We deify Romo but seem to forget the numerous games that he had that were carbon copies of tonight.
Remember these?

(Look at these awful INT throws.)

(The "Witten tackling a cheerleader" game.)

Dak has another yr left on his rookie contract. He's frustrating as heck sometimes but let's hope and see if the guy can get better. No, he's not the passer Romo became (and didn't benefit from sitting 4 years behind veterans) but its possible he can tweak some things in his game to become better.

The vitriol around here is ridiculous. The same way we defended Romo from outside critics is the same way some of us are defending Dak from his own fanbase. Sad.

He always got grief from me. The difference is Romo's throws looked better. The other difference is Dak wins while Romo loses those games.

whynot

Reaction score
It's not complicated, JJ made the decision. So, it's done.

I don't care if everyone thinks Dak sucks, we're winning. The TEAM is winning. With Dak at the helm.

It's Twitter, who the hell cares? Everyone and everything is hated on Twitter.

Hey — you asked the question. It’s not my fault you don’t like the answer.

The two of them will always be linked until Dak’s play makes us forget Romo or until Dak is replaced.

Yes, the team is winning, but they are winning despite Dak.

whynot

Reaction score
He always got grief from me. The difference is Romo's throws looked better. The other difference is Dak wins while Romo loses those games.

Honestly, I feel both QBs could have played the exact same game yesterday, the difference would have been that the CB would have gotten two hands on that last pass from Romo rather than knocking it in the air.

Dude was cursed at times.

pupulehaole

Reaction score
Romo never got grief? Selective memory there cause Romo could do nothing right in the eyes of the masses
Right? These Dak lovers will forget whatever they want as long as it fits their agenda lol.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
People forget that Romo ever threw an int. But at the time the same bozo’s gave him grief too.