What are your minimum expectations for 2021 season right now?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
My minimal win expectation is 9-8, while the maximum is, perhaps, 11-6 and a playoff win. Nothing too lofty for a revised staff . . . :flagwave:

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
yeh the draft " should" produce at least two to three starters or major contributors.
My expectations is NFC East title, and at least to the NFC Conference title; we never get past Divisional rounds. (ala Green Bay, Rams)
And I need to look at our 2021 NFL schedule again.

My Plus+ and Minuses- on Cowboys preview season:
- I'm still not content with the interior DT situation with just rotation types (Urban,Watkins) - especially 1 tech for bottom worst run defense in NFL. for majority of season.
- Could it take some time for Dak to get closer on track again ? and we don't have a top run game anymore to lean on until Prescott does.
- Tyron setback seems like only a matter of time. Wait & see on Collins. Top backup OT a must
- I still have questions about Defense - both run defense and secondary. Kazee could be post-achilles Eric Berry. Total wait and see.
- Don't like counting on a 215 converted OLB, Jaylon a liability, LVE always hurt;
- Do like Diggs/Wilson, Gallimore at 3 tech, Gregory full time starter
- We easily have among the top WR unit in entire NFL ; a plus if Jarwin returns on track again
- Must solve notorious slow starts of games
- McCarthy gotta help Kellen revamp the run game scheme and RBs in pass game.

NFC East:
1) Dallas
2) Washington
3) NY GIants
4) Philly

- a wait & see with Dak, ZKE, OTs and the Defense.
- WFT gonna be run team with Fitz up & down; great edge but secondary can be had.
- Barkley return key; promising D loses Thompson, sink or swim with Daniel Jones
- I don't see Philly jumping to the top with Hurts, new coaches, WRs ,OL, DB issues

ondaedg

Reaction score
Dak lovers already have their list going on the scapegoats, i mean the reasons, it will not be his fault. Let's see, coaching, poor defense, WR butter fingers, OL failures, poor defense again, play calling, the sun in his eyes, and poor defense once again. Did i miss anything.? He has all the pressure to get the Cowboys deep into the playoffs....no one and done here. That is minimum. Like the saying goes," with great money, comes great responsibility." Buena Suerte.

Please take anti Dak drivel to another thread.

ondaedg

Reaction score
The East was bad in 2020. That has absolutely nothing to do with 2021. I don't know why people keep extending it to infinity. The Giants to me right now look like a solid team. A possible 10+ win team. Barkley is back, a very good WR Corp, and a decent defense. The Commanders have a very good defense and acquired Fitz at QB. Although he's not great, he's good enough if he has weapons and time to throw the ball. Good enough to embarrass us. The only team in the NFC East I expect to be below .500 are the Eagles. I figure the Cowboys to be 9-8 or 8-9. As for the people that want to criticize QB Jones from the Giants. He was good enough to compete with us with Dak, better than us without Dak. So lets pump the breaks on criticizing him.

Agreed. Free agency and the quicker growth of young players can turn teams around quickly. The NFCE should not be judged by last year’s performance. The WFT scare me the most if they can get their offense in order.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Ok I know it is early, but I figure the draft will only give team 1 or 2 starters at most.
So what is the minimum season record you would accept as a step forward over last season?
I will say 10-7 , that would be a distinct improvement over last season.
Anything less I would have to consider a failure by coaches , FO , and players, and Dak.

Now 10-7 may get team into playoffs, and it may not, so I am not going to say they have to make playoffs,
but I do sort of expect that they should .
The thing is winning the division may be the only way a east team gets in playoffs, but one of the east teams
may have a good season, and do better than 10-7. You cant count on them being as bad as last season.

Dallas in 2020
AFC DIV 1-3
NFC DIV 1-3
SOS 2-0
DIV 2-4
Las Vegas Raiders H
Kansas City Chiefs Road
Los Angeles Chargers Road

NFC DIV 2-2
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Road
New Orleans Saints Road
Atlanta Falcons H
Carolina Panthers H

SOS GAMES 1-1

Minnesota Vikings Road
Arizona Cardinals H

NFCE GAMES 4-2

17th game 0-1 by this would put them at 10-7 , if 16 games then 10-6
Dallas would have to be real good team to do better than 10 wins.
I gave a loss on the last game as people here are saying it would be NE, and dallas has
always done poorly in the last game of season.
But that could be another win just as easily, if they are improved, so I could see 11 wins too.
So I will change that to 10 or 11 wins as my minimum expectation.

Anything over that would be more than I expect
And on further thought, I think making the playoffs , as WC or div champ has to be included, unless
one of the other east teams just has a great season, and dallas doesnt get in as WC.
10-11 wins should get dallas in as a WC though?

Division title is possible - it's not like there are SB contenders in the way. Wild card round of the playoffs, possibly a win there, is the ceiling (as usual).

Could the Boys bumble along to a 9-8 or 8-9 season and miss the playoffs? Of course.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dak lovers already have their list going on the scapegoats, i mean the reasons, it will not be his fault. Let's see, coaching, poor defense, WR butter fingers, OL failures, poor defense again, play calling, the sun in his eyes, and poor defense once again. Did i miss anything.? He has all the pressure to get the Cowboys deep into the playoffs....no one and done here. That is minimum. Like the saying goes," with great money, comes great responsibility." Buena Suerte.

I expect Dallas to go out and win and compete for a championship. Things Dak can control I expect him to control. What I find interesting is you make these comments and if they do not make then what? I think Rodgers is one of the best to play the game, how many SB does he have? is it all his fault that he failed to achieve more? How about Brees? he set many records in the NFL yet has 1 SB so I assume it was all his fault, defense had no part it in it?

I make no excuse for poor play but I also understand the game of football and know damn well QB do not play defense, they do not play special teams. QB has a lot of responsibility but there are many aspects outside of his control.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
In 2019 we ranked 10th in passing defense and 11th in rushing and went 8-8.

Wanna know why? Dak is the reason. The guy we made the 2nd highest paid QB ever.

Our defense had 3 games where we held our opponents to 17 points or less. We lost all 3 of those games and Dak threw for a grand total of ZERO TDs in those games. We also lost to the Jets, another game that Dak threw a grand total of ZERO TDs.

So, a middle of the road defense doesn't matter if your overpaid QB shrinks in big games. Dak was the reason we went 8-8 and missed the playoffs instead of 12-4 in 2019.

I think that saying dak is the sole reason for the 8-8 season just shows a clear agenda and bias that’s really not worth going in depth on a response to you. Coaching was an issue, game management was an issue and yes dak did have some stinkers but to say he’s the sole reason is ridiculous.

My point still stands

GMO415

Reaction score
Another new Def scheme, with the same lousy players? 5-12.

dfense

Reaction score
I expect them to draft one of the 2 top CBs and have Diggs start opposite that rookie. I also expect better safety play now that Xavier (lost in the Woods) is gone.

And signing Randy Gregory to an extension would be a smart move.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
i expect the same ol cowboys we have ahd for the last twenty five or so years when it comes to the playoffs but i except with dak they should at least have some competitive games

Praxit

Reaction score
..lets just have better year. Pointing at the defense, last year is one for the record books. Benny Hill Cowboys Defense on show.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
After watching Jerry sign Dak to the mega contract, it is clear to me that entertainment and money are more important than winning.

So, the minimal expectation I have is to be entertained. Here I am, entertain me.

This team is just not built to win with mediocre players with gigantic contracts like Dak, Elliott, Jaylon Smith, and Lawrence. They sell tickets and many fans love them but I would be shocked if this core ever wins anything.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With a healthy offense and if the defense stays healthy and the added FA's, along with 2 starters in the draft, and 2 more that contribute. And if that defense can get back even to near some of the Rod defenses, as in the top 15.
Then, they can win the division.
I will say in the range of 9-8 to 11-6. But no reason they can't be 12-5.

Offense will be top 5 easily. Defense needs to get in the top 15. But that is the biggest unknown. Keep opponents below 24 points as the offense should average in the 30's.

Verdict

Reaction score
Ok I know it is early, but I figure the draft will only give team 1 or 2 starters at most.
So what is the minimum season record you would accept as a step forward over last season?
I will say 10-7 , that would be a distinct improvement over last season.
Anything less I would have to consider a failure by coaches , FO , and players, and Dak.

Now 10-7 may get team into playoffs, and it may not, so I am not going to say they have to make playoffs,
but I do sort of expect that they should .
The thing is winning the division may be the only way a east team gets in playoffs, but one of the east teams
may have a good season, and do better than 10-7. You cant count on them being as bad as last season.

Dallas in 2020
AFC DIV 1-3
NFC DIV 1-3
SOS 2-0
DIV 2-4
Las Vegas Raiders H
Kansas City Chiefs Road
Los Angeles Chargers Road

NFC DIV 2-2
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Road
New Orleans Saints Road
Atlanta Falcons H
Carolina Panthers H

SOS GAMES 1-1

Minnesota Vikings Road
Arizona Cardinals H

NFCE GAMES 4-2

17th game 0-1 by this would put them at 10-7 , if 16 games then 10-6
Dallas would have to be real good team to do better than 10 wins.
I gave a loss on the last game as people here are saying it would be NE, and dallas has
always done poorly in the last game of season.
But that could be another win just as easily, if they are improved, so I could see 11 wins too.
So I will change that to 10 or 11 wins as my minimum expectation.

Anything over that would be more than I expect
And on further thought, I think making the playoffs , as WC or div champ has to be included, unless
one of the other east teams just has a great season, and dallas doesnt get in as WC.
10-11 wins should get dallas in as a WC though?

We have paid a QB $160m contract. We should win 10 games barring catastrophic injuries that simply cannot be overcome. If we don’t hit 10 wins and we don’t have unusually impactful injuries (every team has some) then some heads need to roll.

I don’t really care about who is on the schedule. We should beat more teams than we lose to regardless. We have 6 games out of 17 against the NFC East. We should win at least 4 of those games MINIMUM. It only takes 6 wins out of the remaining 11 games to get to 10 wins.

This is the bare minimum. Period.

Rayman70

Reaction score
at min...6 wins. Max...12. It could go feast or famine but alot of factors like OLINE health and will we improve the defense substantially. If we can hold the line at oline and not have too much missed time by starters, we should be ok. But the big question will be on D. Our linebackers look woeful still, but the draft will give us a chance to change that. We must get it right.

Rayman70

Reaction score
We cannot have the likes of Steele or Ty N. starting games for us. It will end badly. Must draft a olineman that can play all the positions at a high level. Collins and Smith scare the hell out of me.