What did the 49ers see in Lance that proved to be non existent?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Same thing teams saw in JaMarcus Russell, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Zach Wilson, etc etc etc etc.

They all had great potential and traits. That's what teams saw.

The one minor flaw they all had though, is that it turned out they couldn't play football good in the NFL. Just like Lance.

I bet they'd all be really good in the CFL though!
However, I would bet they all played good in HS and they all got a scholarship and most likely had multiple offers coming out of HS.

Adreme

Reaction score
Those same 49er coaches who didn't see the value of Dak and didn't draft him in earlier rounds in the 2016 draft?

A bunch of fools they are.
There is a difference between not being omniscient at drafting and not being able to take advantage of talent. The 49ers have shown a strong ability to get the most out of their players so if they can’t get anything out of a player it might be because there isn’t much to get.

Adreme

Reaction score
so your approach is to increase franchise value and save money. not build a championship team.

its not about Dak. get him out of your head. you are obsessed. I say Lance, you say Dak. I say plane, you say Dak. I say golf, you say Dak.
He also would not be 1/3 the price. If he started this year and played at the level of a top 15 QB (not even top 10) he would get 2 years 90 million with 45m guaranteed. I don’t know where people got the idea Lance would be cheap from but it’s only true if he is bad.

Loso86

Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
He has all the traits and tools, just needed time to develop that apparently 49ers didn't have. We luckily do

Chasing6

Reaction score
He also would not be 1/3 the price. If he started this year and played at the level of a top 15 QB (not even top 10) he would get 2 years 90 million with 45m guaranteed. I don’t know where people got the idea Lance would be cheap from but it’s only true if he is bad.
Exactly. We have zero QB's signed for next year. I think more teams should take this genius approach. The only way we will not be over paying a QB is by drafting one.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I appreciate alternate view, but my take is this guy is way off base the team that made the biggest mistake was the 49ers and they got bailed out by their lucky pick of Brock Purdy if not they'd be known as the team who gave up three first round picks for a possible bust the Cowboys gave up a fourth rounder and hopes that they could turn him into something there's nothing wrong with that really I'd prefer it to be 1/5 but you never know geno smith was a late bloomer, this guy could turn out to be something we don't know how about we give it a chance find out before we say this was a stupid move...

This is the correct take.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
To be honest we haven't seen enough of him yet to determine anything. This pre-season will be a good indicator tho.
Playing against mostly backups and bubble players in preseason isn’t that good an indicator. You need to see a QB with starters against other starters in meaningful games to make a determination. It’s a big jump from preseason to the regular season with so few starters playing in preseason these days.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I've made mention of the logic flaw....Trey haters say "San Fran are gurus they got rid of trey for a reason".

And yet it was they that gave 3 1st rounders for him.

Does not compute.

Most of the fans who are hating on Trey are fans of QB1, those same fans firmly believe that nobody other than QB1 can play QB for this team. So they will tear down, and diminish any and all qualities someone else has. But they will say he isn’t a threat and he sucks and if he couldn’t hack it in SF he will never become anything, but he clearly has talent and is a threat in their mind. Kids played in 4 games as a pro.

I have no issues with seeing what he’s got, and the “tweak” that’s been heard around the world that has QB1 fans all worked up, was based on timing, which MM said yesterday looked really good.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The kid can’t throw for accuracy…can’t read a defense to save himself and now we are trying to adjust his throwing motion….he is like a high school kid and nothing close to a pro… we even got fleeced giving up a 4th round pick
They probably wanted to see another Wentz type talent. Which should have been enough to provide some caution .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Most of the fans who are hating on Trey are fans of QB1, those same fans firmly believe that nobody other than QB1 can play QB for this team. So they will tear down, and diminish any and all qualities someone else has. But they will say he isn’t a threat and he sucks and if he couldn’t hack it in SF he will never become anything, but he clearly has talent and is a threat in their mind. Kids played in 4 games as a pro.

I have no issues with seeing what he’s got, and the “tweak” that’s been heard around the world that has QB1 fans all worked up, was based on timing, which MM said yesterday looked really good.
Sure we can see what he’s got . But he couldn’t make it in a star studded offense in SF. And he couldn’t beat out the last pick in the draft .

That 4th round pick probably prevented us from drafting a RB in this draft.

I read in one NFL analysis he might be a good prospect at Safety. Maybe he can beat out Cooper. But it’s highly unlike he gets enough action to extend his contract next year. A puzzling trade for Cowboys.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Playing against mostly backups and bubble players in preseason isn’t that good an indicator. You need to see a QB with starters against other starters in meaningful games to make a determination. It’s a big jump from preseason to the regular season with so few starters playing in preseason these days.
It may not be a true indicator but it definitely if the dude like looks after church good you know when Ezekiel Elliott was trucking dudes in preseason we seeing Tony Romo just letting it just fly you can see it, so we're looking for anything a little smoke because where there's smoke there might be fire we wanna see the guy do something that gives you an indication that given better talent around him they can even be better but there's always something in preseason that you can catch from a guy that lets you know you might have something... You know like Turpin for instance they're all their long runs he had his first PS..

FVSTONE

Reaction score
49'ers were blinded by potential. IF he managed to develop well he could be a great QB. One huge factor is time, they did not have the time to do it and Purdy adapted almost instantly.

There is no telling if he gets yet another year to work on his game if he could develop into something-anything, but the odds are no he won't at this stage.
The kid doesn't have the knowledge or the skills to be a starter in the NFL. He came out of school way too early.............

Chasing6

Reaction score
The kid doesn't have the knowledge or the skills to be a starter in the NFL. He came out of school way too early.............
He desperately needs playing time. Play in the Arena league and you will learn how to get the ball out quick or you career will be over. Or go play in Canada and get some experience for 2 years and come back.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure we can see what he’s got . But he couldn’t make it in a star studded offense in SF. And he couldn’t beat out the last pick in the draft .

That 4th round pick probably prevented us from drafting a RB in this draft.

I read in one NFL analysis he might be a good prospect at Safety. Maybe he can beat out Cooper. But it’s highly unlike he gets enough action to extend his contract next year. A puzzling trade for Cowboys.
The last pick in the draft? The one that took them to the super bowl?

Kinda sounds like he'd beat out Dak for QB 1 then too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The last pick in the draft? The one that took them to the super bowl?

Kinda sounds like he'd beat out Dak for QB 1 then too.
You missed the point. It’s unlikely Purdy makes it without star studded 49er offense.

Amazing how some fans always think it’s the QB that carry’s a team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Typical of teams stretching in draft looking for a QB. Hoping he’d be another Wentz from North Dakota St.