What do you want

glimmerman

Reaction score
Maybe or maybe not. Again, you are likely overvaluing the effect Wentz's signing had because it's in your DNA to think the Eagles hurt the Cowboys.
I am still wondering why wentz signed the deal. Seems like he could have gotten more and I don’t believe he did it to be team friendly. Only brady does that. And that’s because his wife and himself are crazy rich and it’s no longer about the money for him.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, my Dak thread. I am sure there isn’t but a few.

So what is it that you want from the FO. Honestly, we are for the most part all Cowboys fans on here and some obviously like Dak and some obviously hate Dak. But one thing we share is we want to win.

Either way the FO is convinced he is to be our franchise QB and are going to pay him and he will get market price which is 30-32 million an year. Judging from what Wilson and now wentz got. He don’t have the experience Wilson has or the ring. So I can’t see him getting that money. And wentz has a ring but he didn’t win the SB he was on the team at the time.

So what do you want, our FO to let him play out his contract and maybe use the tag on him if he gets better, then maybe sign him.

Cut him or trade him and tank a season to get a high draft pick or blow a draft up to trade up to get a high pick QB that you never know if they are gonna pan out.

Everyone saying 25 million a year is all they would pay is a nice thought but he won’t settle for that. Would you if you were him.

You can bet there is trade value there. And if we released him do you think a team wouldn’t grab him up and pay him.

Can’t wait to hear the responses. It’s the offseason so yeah.

WAIT..... show team first decision making! Dak isn't going anywhere and there's still a lot of question marks in the air concerning his validity as a Franchise QB and not simply Zeke's Bus Driver.
Now if he comes out in Sept a new and highly improved Dak .....pay the man and lets move on.
If not move up in the draft(pay the price) and get your new 2020 Franchise QB in the rich full of talented QB draft.
Paying Dak now simply makes no sense and remember your going to have to pay Coop,Zeke,Byron who have proven they are worthy of a big deal as the talent is there without any question marks!
Paying Dak a massive contract now will simply give us minimal 5 more years of nada.......and a massive rebuild 3 years from now....

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Maybe or maybe not. Again, you are likely overvaluing the effect Wentz's signing had because it's in your DNA to think the Eagles hurt the Cowboys.

To be fair, that’s a two way street. How often do you hear about how we screwed over the Giants, how we screwed over the Commanders? Dallas creates these circumstances that Philly seemingly jumps on.

You mentioned Goedert in the second round of 2018. What did you do to prove the naysayers wrong? How did you solidify your TE position in 2018 to show Dallas wouldn’t have been awesome for you? Or better yet, when you settled with Connor, what kind of epic rookie year did he have to show that he was the sure thing whether Dallas G was on the board or not?

Same with this contract situation. When Cousins signed it bumped up Ryan’s number. Everyone said Rodgers was waiting for Ryan to sign because through the natural state of things he knew it meant his contract got bumped up. When Dak signs, it’ll mean Goff will likely get a bump too. Carson has never played in the playoffs. Dak has won just 1 playoff game. Goff made a freaking super bowl! So if Dak and Carson signed for 27, Goff could ask for the 32 Carson actually got and that would be plausible. But now that Carson got 32, Dak is likely 30+, Goff is getting 35 if he signs third, no doubt.

So yes, not just eagles fans, but national pundits will say Carson bumped up Dak’s number because he got his first, that’s a very plausible reaction based on how these things have played out in the past. The way to avoid ‘eagles fans thinking they hurt the cowboys’ is for Dak to come out and sign for 25 a year and stick it to us good.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
WAIT..... show team first decision making! Dak isn't going anywhere and there's still a lot of question marks in the air concerning his validity as a Franchise QB and not simply Zeke's Bus Driver.
Now if he comes out in Sept a new and highly improved Dak .....pay the man and lets move on.
If not move up in the draft(pay the price) and get your new 2020 Franchise QB in the rich full of talented QB draft.
Paying Dak now simply makes no sense and remember your going to have to pay Coop,Zeke,Byron who have proven they are worthy of a big deal as the talent is there without any question marks!
Paying Dak a massive contract now will simply give us minimal 5 more years of nada.......and a massive rebuild 3 years from now....
The price we will pay will be huge. But I understand where your coming from. It’s a conservative approach and I see how people can have questions still. Was the same way with Romo. They are different QBs but I had questions about signing Romo. I wonder if a 3 year Romo would do as good as Dak has with the same team around them.

And looking at how good Dak did in 2016 makes me wonder how Romo would have done if not injured.

Techsass

Reaction score
To be fair, that’s a two way street. How often do you hear about how we screwed over the Giants, how we screwed over the Commanders? Dallas creates these circumstances that Philly seemingly jumps on.

The way to avoid ‘eagles fans thinking they hurt the cowboys’ is for Dak to come out and sign for 25 a year and stick it to us good.
If only Dak was that petty. Maybe his agent is??? .

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The price we will pay will be huge. But I understand where your coming from. It’s a conservative approach and I see how people can have questions still. Was the same way with Romo. They are different QBs but I had questions about signing Romo. I wonder if a 3 year Romo would do as good as Dak has with the same team around them.

And looking at how good Dak did in 2016 makes me wonder how Romo would have done if not injured.

I have no problem paying Dak a boat load of cash as long as he can show us the money......so far a lot of us are on the fence as his flaws are many ......

glimmerman

Reaction score
I have no problem paying Dak a boat load of cash as long as he can show us the money......so far a lot of us are on the fence as his flaws are many ......
I think this year the game will slow down for him. Reads get easier. What I don’t like is a QB that has the legs he has taking sacks he don’t need to. I watched him drop back last year and go through reads and before he scrambles there will be a huge hole our injured O-Line had for him. Could have taken off if even for a 5 or 7 yard slide down. The holes close fast in he NFL and LB close fast in the second level. When he opens that part of his game up it will be huge for us. The defenses have something else to look for. His accuracy will be better and Offense will come easier.

If they decided to wait till even mid season to sign him I wouldn’t have a problem with it. It will cost us a little more but as long as we can still sign our other players I am ok.

cern

Reaction score
Not all franchise QBs are the same. I think that's what people miss in this. Because Wilson got X, Dak has to get X or maybe X+. Becaue Wentz got Y, Dak has to get Y or Y+. It doesn't have to work that way.

Something tells me the Cowboys don't subscribe to the belief that Dak has to get what Wilson or Wentz got.
they did for zack. they did for tank. they will for dak. I think your thinking is way off base on this issue. dak will get his money. dak knows it. his agent knows it. the cowboys know it.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Let him play out 2019 on his existing deal. If he does well and the team does well, negotiate a long term deal or tag him if you must. Yes, I understand if he plays well the price tag goes up on Dak, but I am OK with that because I think the downside risk to any long term deal now is way bigger than a few million more in AAV a year from now.

If you let him play out the 2019 season under his existing deal and he has a 2017ish type season or even a decent season but below what we saw in late 2018 (and the team also kind of just is blah), you've now given yourself way more information about what kind of QB you have and you also aren't now handcuffed to a big deal.
That's what I would do.

glimmerman

Reaction score
they did for zack. they did for tank. they will for dak. I think your thinking is way off base on this issue. dak will get his money. dak knows it. his agent knows it. the cowboys know it.
I think Daks agent is way off base right now. No doubt we low balled him and they responded by way over asking. Now they meet in the middle..

Techsass

Reaction score
I think Daks agent is way off base right now. No doubt we low balled him and they responded by way over asking. Now they meet in the middle..
That seems to be SJ's MO. It must have worked for him at some point.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Dak is not the problem. If not for him this franchise would be in the toilet right now. I think grabbing him in the 4th was pure luck. Sign him and get a head coach that doesn't need an All-Pro at every position to win.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Let him play out 2019 on his existing deal. If he does well and the team does well, negotiate a long term deal or tag him if you must. Yes, I understand if he plays well the price tag goes up on Dak, but I am OK with that because I think the downside risk to any long term deal now is way bigger than a few million more in AAV a year from now.

If you let him play out the 2019 season under his existing deal and he has a 2017ish type season or even a decent season but below what we saw in late 2018 (and the team also kind of just is blah), you've now given yourself way more information about what kind of QB you have and you also aren't now handcuffed to a big deal.
Get him now under 35 mil per year and let next year’s cap, before CBA negotiations hit, go up, therefore making it much more feasible to the naked mathematician’s eye.

It will happen, like it or not. Dak isn’t perfect, but better than most.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They did it for Zack-Dlaw-Smith-Beard- which all of them are more talented than Dak.....just throwing that out there....don't be surprised if by kick-off it hasn't been done for Dak......

P.S. Talent usually gets paid.....then again its Jerry circus so who knows lol....

cern

Reaction score
I doubt any of us know what was asked for and what was offered. I suspect they are far closer than most of us know. probably just details about guaranteed money and normal dotting the "i's" and crossing the "t's". signing him now gives the flexibility to lower his cap his over the next few years so we can get to work on signing some others. it's in Stephen's most capable hands. i'm not worried.

cern

Reaction score
Stephen will make the deal, not jerry. dak will get his money. his record speaks for itself. he's done very well considering he's had to play in a system run by garrett and linehan.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I doubt any of us know what was asked for and what was offered. I suspect they are far closer than most of us know. probably just details about guaranteed money and normal dotting the "i's" and crossing the "t's". signing him now gives the flexibility to lower his cap his over the next few years so we can get to work on signing some others. it's in Stephen's most capable hands. i'm not worried.
I am not concerned at all. We will sign him. Won’t bother me when. Hoping to do it right and if we can save a few million then it will help sign others. I want him and Cooper wrapped up. I have heard there maybe a uncapped year. I wonder if they know when. Could be beneficial. For all teams..