What does an acceptable rebuild transition period look like for you?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Mahommes' worst football is better than Dak's best football. Saying he's playing some of his best football literally means nothing...
That’s one of the most clueless comments I’ve seen in a long time. :rolleyes: If you’re looking not to be taken seriously you accomplished it.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
That’s one of the most clueless comments I’ve seen in a long time. :rolleyes: If you’re looking not to be taken seriously you accomplished it.
Dak was having his best year against losing teams. Right up until kick off against the packers. Then playoff dak showed up.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Fine, then I'll hammer them for every single QB between Aikman and Romo that they did pick. Point being, the only good QBs this franchise has had since Aikman, who Jimmy picked, were lucky acquisitions. Anytime they've been linked to a first or second round QB pick that player has been a bust. I'm not trying to "hammer them", I'm making the point that they have a horrid track record when it comes to drafting and developing QB talent, save for the two anomalies that they initially picked as after-thoughts who happened to pan out. Striking gold twice is rare enough, I don't want to bank on that happening again if Dak walks. Maybe things are different now with McClay, but we'd also have to get rid of alot of picks and/or players to get high enough in the draft to get a franchise QB anytime soon.
I completely understand your reasoning,

however, if you use it for the Cowboys you use it for the league the league is generally lucky when they finally hit on a quarterback most of the first rounders are not that successful and you have to suck really bad to even get one in the top five to even get the best odds...

Are you trying to tell me that Tom Brady, Purdy, Kurt Warner are not on the same lines as Tony Romo and Prescott "lucky picks" ??​
I mean when you pick a guy last in the draft or undrafted and they become good or you get a guy in a sixth round who becomes the goat of all quarterbacks and you can look around the NFL and there's other quarterbacks that went after the third or fourth round it turned out to be pretty good so they got lucky too I mean that's what you're saying that general GM's and generally NFL teams get lucky with some of their picks that's why you got guys sliding at other positions I mean how is it that Jerry Jones gets mentioned every time they say well he they passed up on X-player..​

But x-players somehow slid past them ,

so everyone that passed up on them including the Cowboys should be discussed in the same breath because they're GM structure is normal and yet they still miss they still pass up on guys like the new story with Travis Kelce,

well how do you make it to the third round if it was only the Dallas Cowboys making mistakes in the draft this happens all the time you do get lucky with most of the players you pick because lots of them don't work out in the NFL even with big names like Tim Tebow and Johnny Football and these dudes that were legends in college Jamarcus Russell and a bunch of other ones we can keep naming all them in a bag of chips and we could say that this is pretty par for the course throughout the NFL so stop acting like the Dallas Cowboys are any different because Jerry's the GM and we're structured differently because it happens all over the NFL you got a team that people seem to respect and the 49ers who literally gave three first round draft picks for one tray Lance... And yet they were lucky to trip over Brock Purdy that is how it works they made a giant mistake and luck bailed them out...

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Fine, then I'll hammer them for every single QB between Aikman and Romo that they did pick. Point being, the only good QBs this franchise has had since Aikman, who Jimmy picked, were lucky acquisitions. Anytime they've been linked to a first or second round QB pick that player has been a bust. I'm not trying to "hammer them", I'm making the point that they have a horrid track record when it comes to drafting and developing QB talent, save for the two anomalies that they initially picked as after-thoughts who happened to pan out. Striking gold twice is rare enough, I don't want to bank on that happening again if Dak walks. Maybe things are different now with McClay, but we'd also have to get rid of alot of picks and/or players to get high enough in the draft to get a franchise QB anytime soon.
You are going to hammer them for Quincy Carter, when the scouting department from then has been completely overhauled. Why?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Seriously Mahomes has had his share of poor games and people arguing Dak has never played better than that is asinine.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
If Dallas traded Prescott and Parsons, they would net a massive haul of draft picks. That would yield multiple #1's and multiple #2's. They could then draft an elite QB prospect, and have picks left over to address several other positions.

One step back, two steps forward.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Seriously Mahomes has had his share of poor games and people arguing Dak has never played better than that is asinine.
Some fans like acting like 12 year olds.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak was having his best year against losing teams. Right up until kick off against the packers. Then playoff dak showed up.
Dak doesn’t play defense. No QB could overcome our playoff defenses over the past couple of decades. It’s almost like every defensive player we draft could care less about postseason. The Packers game was the worst game we played all season and it all started with the defense.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It's because they want to ignore the facts that other quarterbacks like say Josh Allen got carried by his run game and the game we lost to them he had 90 yards passing sure give him credit for that win it was all Josh Allen no it wasn't just like 1 Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach had so many sub 200 yard games with only one touchdown a game because they leaned on their run game offensive line defense overall better coaching etcetera etcetera...

Those guys in our Super Bowl years were never asked as a quarterback to carry the team they never were asked to be Superman in the playoffs because I saw their stats they threw a lot of interceptions and I don't wanna hear about era they made mistakes the mistakes got covered up just like they do now for other quarterbacks you got guys like Tom Brady who threw 3 interceptions in a championship game for the Buccaneers and they still won the game yeah guys like Matthew Stafford recently led the league in interceptions give me 32 of them in the Super bowl and yet it didn't matter they won the game the Rams defense and run game and his coach picked him up and made sure he wasn't the only one on the field trying to win the game by himself...

Our team shows up and gives up 10 yards per carry on the ground 14 penalties 5 or 6 touchdowns the defense blows leads they don't come with a physical offensive line or run game and our quarterback gets blamed...

I watched games where Troy Aikman literally threw an interception in the first half played like crap in the Super bowl against Buffalo and in the second-half we were down and yet the defense opens up gets a turnover they score they turn around special teams makes a big play they get back in the game they lean on him at Smith the rest of the game and they win the game that's all that matters because we won the Super bowl but Troy gets credit for it even though he didn't even play that well...​
That's why this is a team game a lot of times you forget about individuals and anything negative that happened in the games when you end up winning those games but there's a lot of games this year the year before I I even remember some games in the playoffs in 2022 where Josh Allen had three turnovers would have had four but one rolled out of bounds so they got the ball back and with the Jaguars Trevor Lawrence had four interceptions their teams won both those games I mean why is that because the team picked them up they covered it up they didn't expect the quarterback to play perfectly our fan base literally thinks because the quarterback makes the most money gets the most publicity daddy's famous that he's a target and he should be able to do it by himself... That's not how the NFL is set up most quarterbacks cannot carry their team without help and our team finds a way to have weak spots and you're only as good as the weakest link and we have too many weak links on all four layers of the team coaching special teams offense defense you can find problems that went down in all those games that were not related to the quarterback... No Prescott didn't play well in some of these playoff games but he's also played well in some and they lost his rookie year they should have won that game that's on the defense 2018 on the defense we can do this all day long somehow our fan base forgets that Troy and Roger did not play like Superman in the playoffs they had great teams.... Those teams started in the trenches the Dallas Cowboys of the 70s and 90s won games because they exacted their will on the opponent in the trenches both sides of the football they made sure they weren't gonna need to win a game 40 to 30.... We see the same thing with Mr. double MVP and Lamar Jackson somehow looked at as one of the better quarterbacks in the league his defense this year was unreal they had from the best run games or at least rushing offense in the league and yet in the playoffs they gave up three points in one game 17 points in the second game it's just a shout out in the second-half gave their offense every chance in the world to come back and win that game and and he did not he could only score 10 points...​
I don't know too many games in the playoffs where our defense did that for Prescott or that we had that run game and the defense rolling at the same time and that we had a physicality on both sides of the football in the trenches..​

Blitzen

Reaction score
If a team is looking for a capable QB then they aren’t exceptional. Any team that’s having QB issues aren’t making the playoffs and usual have a high draft pick.

It’s not either or lol. Bad season finishes do not signify the team is looking for a franchise QB unless they can differentiate QB play from exceptional surrounding cast. On the flip side it is difficult to see a QB that is terrible. Give most QBs an utterly dominant run game and great playmakers and dominant oline. If the QB turns the ball over a bunch for two straight seasons -missing tons of wide open receivers on fairly easy passes you likely are looking for a new QB before that happens. The terrible teams rarely give a rookie QB those offensive strengths-which makes analyzing them close to impossible (deciding if it’s the QB or surrounding cast or both).

It’s like when people bring up the time period between Aikman and Romo. Lots of those teams had zero chance. There were average finishes though with Bledsoe and Testaverde and even Carter (for one season). The 5-11 teams had problems all over the roster including the QB position. They weren’t a good QB away from contention lol.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s not either or lol. Bad season finishes do not signify the team is looking for a franchise QB unless they can differentiate QB play from exceptional surrounding cast. On the flip side it is difficult to see a QB that is terrible. Give most QBs an utterly dominant run game and great playmakers and dominant oline. If the QB turns the ball over a bunch for two straight seasons -missing tons of wide open receivers on fairly easy passes you likely are looking for a new QB before that happens. The terrible teams rarely give a rookie QB those offensive strengths-which makes analyzing them close to impossible (deciding if it’s the QB or surrounding cast or both).

It’s like when people bring up the time period between Aikman and Romo. Lots of those teams had zero chance. There were average finishes though with Bledsoe and Testaverde and even Carter (for one season). The 5-11 teams had problems all over the roster including the QB position. They weren’t a good QB away from contention lol.
If a teams franchise QB gets injured that can lead to a bad season. You don’t see teams that have a capable QB picking in the top 10. Our 5-11 teams of the early 2000s had a number of issues, but the biggest one was at QB. During Parcells first season with the Cowboys, he got Carter to perform decently and we went 10-5 with pretty much the same roster we had the previous 5-11 season. We struggled with a washed up Vinny and Bledsoe. As soon as Romo took over we immediately became a playoff team during a 2006 season where we looked like we were going nowhere with Bledsoe.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
I completely understand your reasoning,

however, if you use it for the Cowboys you use it for the league the league is generally lucky when they finally hit on a quarterback most of the first rounders are not that successful and you have to suck really bad to even get one in the top five to even get the best odds...

Are you trying to tell me that Tom Brady, Purdy, Kurt Warner are not on the same lines as Tony Romo and Prescott "lucky picks" ??​
I mean when you pick a guy last in the draft or undrafted and they become good or you get a guy in a sixth round who becomes the goat of all quarterbacks and you can look around the NFL and there's other quarterbacks that went after the third or fourth round it turned out to be pretty good so they got lucky too I mean that's what you're saying that general GM's and generally NFL teams get lucky with some of their picks that's why you got guys sliding at other positions I mean how is it that Jerry Jones gets mentioned every time they say well he they passed up on X-player..​

But x-players somehow slid past them ,

so everyone that passed up on them including the Cowboys should be discussed in the same breath because they're GM structure is normal and yet they still miss they still pass up on guys like the new story with Travis Kelce,

well how do you make it to the third round if it was only the Dallas Cowboys making mistakes in the draft this happens all the time you do get lucky with most of the players you pick because lots of them don't work out in the NFL even with big names like Tim Tebow and Johnny Football and these dudes that were legends in college Jamarcus Russell and a bunch of other ones we can keep naming all them in a bag of chips and we could say that this is pretty par for the course throughout the NFL so stop acting like the Dallas Cowboys are any different because Jerry's the GM and we're structured differently because it happens all over the NFL you got a team that people seem to respect and the 49ers who literally gave three first round draft picks for one tray Lance... And yet they were lucky to trip over Brock Purdy that is how it works they made a giant mistake and luck bailed them out...
Definitely all fair points. It just doesn't feel like we've come even close outside of Dak and Romo, but to be fair I didn't think about how hard it is to find a good NFL QB in general. I guess, despite Dak's falling off in big moments, it further solidifies my thinking that we should probably stick with a guy who has been in the MVP conversation and put up an insanely high QBR multiple years versus rolling the dice on finding a QB. So maybe I shouldn't blast the FO for that, but my point is still the same just based on how hard it is to find a good QB in general. Unfortunately, it feels like we'll be in this limbo forever because the Jones' want to pay Dak but will never go all in elsewhere. As many have pointed out they seem most concerned with just fielding a competitive team to sell tickets. I do believe Jerry wants to win, but only if things are done his way.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
The problem is that Mahomes may have a poor game in the early to middle part of the season, but when it comes playoff time he's CONSISTENTLY as clutch as a QB can get. He's got that killer instinct. Dak has CONSISTENTLY been the inverse of Mahomes. Puts up huge numbers in the early and middle part of the regular season and then tails off towards the end, culminating in a face plant in the playoffs. As I've said elsewhere in this thread I still think Dak gives this team the best chance to win a championship when considering all of the other external factors, like how far the front office would actually go to acquire a better QB, how hard it is in general to find a franchise QB, etc. But that chance is significantly smaller when he's being paid $60m a year and they are letting players walk left and right with all of these holes. I think they need to replace 8 starters currently, and that's alot.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The problem is that Mahomes may have a poor game in the early to middle part of the season, but when it comes playoff time he's CONSISTENTLY as clutch as a QB can get.
He is clutch but his team steps up. In the poor games he’s had they didn’t step up. It was all put on his shoulders. He had an awful Super Bowl against Tampa three years ago because his team played like crap. His OL struggled the entire game and it led to a blowout loss. Mahomes had no TDs and two INT’s and finished with a passer rating of 52.3. After the game some of the fans he were saying he was overrated. One fan claimed he was a flash in the pan. :rolleyes: It’s typical of this ridiculous fanbase that constantly lives in the moment.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
He is clutch but his team steps up. In the poor games he’s had they didn’t step up. It was all put on his shoulders. He had an awful Super Bowl against Tampa three years ago because his team played like crap. His OL struggled the entire game and it led to a blowout loss. Mahomes had no TDs and two INT’s and finished with a passer rating of 52.3. After the game some of the fans he were saying he was overrated. One fan claimed he was a flash in the pan. :rolleyes: It’s typical of this ridiculous fanbase that constantly lives in the moment.

realy, you are agruing against a QB thats been to the SB for a QB thats NOT been to the SB?

LOL, wow, thats messed up.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
realy, you are agruing against a QB thats been to the SB for a QB thats NOT been to the SB?

LOL, wow, thats messed up.
How am I arguing against Mahomes? He’s the greatest QB since Brady. I’m pointing out that even a great QB needs some help. My comment wasn’t about anyone else’s QB so don’t go there. :thumbup:

ShiningStar

Reaction score
How am I arguing against Mahomes? I’m pointing out that even a great QB like him needs some help. My comment wasn’t about anyone else’s QB so don’t go there. :thumbup:
we know he needs help, but hes still more cluth and he gets the job done. no matter how good that team was or has gotten, he is the sole player to get them over the hump.

Dallas cant do that, not with DAk, not with anyone on the roster.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
we know he needs help, but hes still more cluth and he gets the job done. no matter how good that team was or has gotten, he is the sole player to get them over the hump.

Dallas cant do that, not with DAk, not with anyone on the roster.
Stop trying to turn this into a Dak thread. :rolleyes: Try getting your mind on something else.