What happens if our WRs cannot separate?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yea...at least 1 zoner who totally gets it. Yes, Yes they should develop a form of the WCO and Dak could excel. Will the OC consider changing, probably not!

Which is strange, because Linehan is on the WCO tree under Mike Tice...wait, that explains it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Well, couldn't Dez just say no? Lol. I sort of doubt Dez did that to "throw off the Browns", but hey, that's just my two cents on it.
He may be afraid or his agent probly don’t want him to refuse any reasonable offer. If I was Dez I wouldn’t want to go to the browns. Actually if Dez is smart he really don’t need to work anymore. 56 million is nothing to sneeze at. His market value should be around 9 million a year, don’t know how much he is looking for.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I am glad the "Safety blanket" in Witten is gone. He bogged down this offense. Open this thing up.

reddyuta

Reaction score
So far I have not seen any different from the routes we were running last season, all the Offensive coaches will get the pink slip if the offense continues to underperform.

LittleD

Reaction score
Which is strange, because Linehan is on the WCO tree under Mike Tice...wait, that explains it.

Garrett believes in and has co-opted Linehan to run a style similar to the old 90's Cowboys. Linehan has to bow to Garrett and Jerry cause Garrett is Jerry's 3rd son. That's what I think based on the last 3 years.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Garrett believes in and has co-opted Linehan to run a style similar to the old 90's Cowboys. Linehan has to bow to Garrett and Jerry cause Garrett is Jerry's 3rd son. That's what I think based on the last 3 years.

While I strongly dislike the Eagles (though, not as much as the Commanders, Packers, Texans, and a few other teams), I think we could learn a lot from the early-2000s Eagles with us having Dak. I read a lot of comparisons to McNabb with Dak. What made McNabb successful was the fact that Reid used the WCO which allowed McNabb to play effectively, and use his legs which Dak does well too. Additionally, they had an amazing RB in Westbrook for many years. THAT combination is what, imo, made McNabb and the Eagles deadly at that time. Guess who modeled his game after Westbrook, and it shows when he touches the ball. They didn't exactly have the greatest WRs until TO went there, but the use of the WCO combined with McNabb's running ability and Westbrook made that offence click. What also helped to contribute to their offence was that their receivers were solid route runners. When McNabb's running ability started to fade along with the effectiveness of Westbrook, that team became virtually ineffective offencively, and we were able to get our revenge on them for about 3 years worth of beatdowns that they gave us.

We have the offence to use at least a variation of that system. The question is, do we have the coaches? Obviously, we shouldn't run the EXACT system, and we need our coaches to be creative with how they set up the WCO here. But, I think the 2000-2004 Eagles would be a good model for us to follow for our offence, as much as we dislike them.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What happens if our WRs can't separate? :muttley: To sum it up in 2 words, they're screwed (and maybe Dak, too!) :omg:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think one adjustment that would help the WRs, should this situation occur, is to swing Zeke to the sideline and let Dak dump it off to him. Zeke's quick enough to be able to handle this. Now, this is NOT wise for 3rd and 20, but it can help with the separation for the WRs

LittleD

Reaction score
While I strongly dislike the Eagles (though, not as much as the Commanders, Packers, Texans, and a few other teams), I think we could learn a lot from the early-2000s Eagles with us having Dak. I read a lot of comparisons to McNabb with Dak. What made McNabb successful was the fact that Reid used the WCO which allowed McNabb to play effectively, and use his legs which Dak does well too. Additionally, they had an amazing RB in Westbrook for many years. THAT combination is what, imo, made McNabb and the Eagles deadly at that time. Guess who modeled his game after Westbrook, and it shows when he touches the ball. They didn't exactly have the greatest WRs until TO went there, but the use of the WCO combined with McNabb's running ability and Westbrook made that offence click. What also helped to contribute to their offence was that their receivers were solid route runners. When McNabb's running ability started to fade along with the effectiveness of Westbrook, that team became virtually ineffective offencively, and we were able to get our revenge on them for about 3 years worth of beatdowns that they gave us.

We have the offence to use at least a variation of that system. The question is, do we have the coaches? Obviously, we shouldn't run the EXACT system, and we need our coaches to be creative with how they set up the WCO here. But, I think the 2000-2004 Eagles would be a good model for us to follow for our offence, as much as we dislike them.

We have Zeke to hold the defense honest and Dak can run the WCO and play action game to success. Will he be allowed to???

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We have Zeke to hold the defense honest and Dak can run the WCO and play action game to success. Will he be allowed to???

That's where the question of the coaches comes in. If they are smart, Dak will be able to run the WCO and PA. That is where he is best suited for his style of play. Smart coaches know how to use their weapons, and minimize weaknesses. Is Dak perfect? Nope! Can he be used effectively? Yup! How? WCO (which does use the PA) is my recommendation. I'd recommend a run-balanced version of the WCO. This allows us to lean more heavily on the ground, which is how our offence is built. Yet, when we need to throw it, the PA can freeze defences while allowing our route runners to do their job. Thus, Dak will know exactly where to put the ball.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
OP has a good point, most other teams receivers run at least 6'4 to 6'8. Our wee receivers haven't a chance against the huge NFL DB's and Safeties. This fan base cries gloom and doom year in and year out.

If we had prime Brady and Belichick, add Earl Thomas, Odell Beckham, and Aaron Donald; there would be complaints. "We only win by forty!"

starfrombirth

Reaction score
So if your an oppossing D you would double cover either of those guys? If so i would love for you to be the DC the cowboys face each and every week
Beasley was doubled quite a bit last year. That's why his receptions went down and why they are trying different things with him this year. If Dez had been the reliable monster he's supposed to be, that wouldn't happened.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Beasley was doubled quite a bit last year. That's why his receptions went down and why they are trying different things with him this year. If Dez had been the reliable monster he's supposed to be, that wouldn't happened.

He wasn't doubled per say what you saw was opposing D's dropping a LB back into coverage to take away the short pass, but no team put two guys on Beasley at the LOS or by bringing a safety down to help the corner

Billyd

Reaction score
He may be afraid or his agent probly don’t want him to refuse any reasonable offer. If I was Dez I wouldn’t want to go to the browns. Actually if Dez is smart he really don’t need to work anymore. 56 million is nothing to sneeze at. His market value should be around 9 million a year, don’t know how much he is looking for.

Saw some smack about New Orleans. That would be a fit..Snag some from Brees before he retires!!

Billyd

Reaction score
He wasn't doubled per say what you saw was opposing D's dropping a LB back into coverage to take away the short pass, but no team put two guys on Beasley at the LOS or by bringing a safety down to help the corner
That poser Twill didnt help much either..

Billyd

Reaction score
Dak no longer has safety blankets in Witten and back shoulders to Dez. If our smallish WRs cannot separate, how will Dak react? blue white scrimmage was not his best look. Hopefully not a preview of him forcing balls.
Bahawhawhaw Blue White Scrimmage!

Billyd

Reaction score
There seems to be some sillyness here, and I wouldnt be surprised if you bums downing Dez and happy to see Witten retire..

However I believe this group will run better routes, be more dynamic in the passing game coz Lal. Hurns has skins, and Beasley one of the better slots two years ago.Depending who else makes it, i think Thompson has something, last AUSTIN is tearing a hole in it with his skills..

You bums that think it actually means something at this point in training camp make me laugh...LOL