What I hope to see for the rest of FA from the Cowboys

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes, we all want to see the front office change their philosophy of just building through the draft and paying their own, but it is not happening this offseason. Based on past history, we know the team likes to cover their holes with low cost veteran talent prior to the draft and they are willing to bring back players already in their program. My hope for the rest of free agency would look like this:

Players I try to resign

-Tyron Smith-find a way to come to a middle ground, perhaps an incentive laden contract based on playing time. This would cover a huge hole at the position at least for another season.

-Stephon Gilmore-we have no idea how Trevon Diggs will look year 1 post acl injury. Gilmore is a good insurance policy that would allow Diggs to work back in slowly. It also gives more time to develop a young prospect like Scott at the position.

-Jonathan Hankins-team invested a 1st rd pick for his eventual replacement, but Mazi just isn't ready. Not only on the field, but he has to put on all that weight he lost during the season. Who knows what happened there, but he was drafted to be a run stopper, anything else was gravy.

Outside Free Agents

-RB-Dalvin Cook, Foreman, Harris, Hunts, Edwards-Helarie are all unsigned. They all are quality veterans that should come cheap and work well as a tandem with any running back the team decides to draft. Yes, they will definitely draft one this year.

-DE-team just lost a ton of depth to Washington in Armstrong/Fowler, which makes them awfully thin at the position. Remember they are looking for another weakside pass rusher, such names available: Carl Lawson, Ngakoue, Barnett, Ogbah.

-Center-team doesn't want to have to force a pick in the draft. Not a great free agent class, but a player like Bozeman from Carolina, McGovern from the Jets. Could also bring back Conner Williams.

-More depth at LB/DT-probably just wishful thinking on my part.
Skill wise, best bet maybe Dalvin Cook, .. but maybe some teams would prefer him in more 2nd back role than featured at his point of his career. And they won't spend that much on him.

Foreman and Hunt as 2nd back rotation, but let's face it.. if just 4 million is too much for Zack Moss, ..it doesn't sound likely for us to sign these aforementioned vet backs. ... we're gonna draft a RB per 2nd round, and add that rookie with backs like Rico and Malik Davis types. ..cheaper the better per Cap Boy Stephen.

- I'm thinking we could have kept Tyron if Stephen really wanted to... but if his camp were not onboard with
the Money Ball price discount,.. then even future HOF Tyron is out the door.
Zack Martin got his new contract just in time, otherwise he could have been at odds too.

- i think with the contracts of Dak, Lamb and Parsons looming very near- Stephen is panicking and paranoid that the
club funds will be so depleted, and thus already very high conservative, Stephen Cap Boy is now doubling that rep.

- Lewis was returned on a very cheap tag. Like 2.8 for 1 year. I'm surprised there wasn't as much interest from other NFL teams.
- If Cowboys show no interest in re-signing Gilmore to a 1 year like deal in a range he believes fair, then he'll likely sign up with a SB contender.
- Could he sign with a say KC Chiefs, should they trade Sneed ?

- per Money Ball outage, i think we'll lose Hankins as well.

- yes, expect McClay to be asked to scrap the bottom of pot bargain vets, who won't be near as effective as a
Hankins or Fowler. And coaches will be asked to make smoke/mirrors with practice squad guys like Tyrus Wheatley, etc.

quickccc

Reaction score
You would think if they add another receiver, it's probably thru the draft as the prices will be too high for their liking.
it will very likely be thru the NFL draft.
They are not picking up guys like that when they are seriously scraping to save pennies on their current cap.

we have our '25 starters in Lamb & Cooks,.. now it's about finding depth guys that add to the Tolbert, Brooks and Turpin.
maybe promising rookies that could even challenge the current depth guys.

Turpin's return game likely keeps his roster spot.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Both were 2nd round prospects but our pick was late 1st rd where all their 1st rd grades were off the board. Benson is ok and has a chance to be there with our 2nd rd pick if not later
Benson is the number 1 running back prospect. He is not going to be there at 56. 6’1 4.39 forty. Perfect bel cow back. Our pick is late in the round again. We got Tyler at 24 and Mazi at 26.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Skill wise, best bet maybe Dalvin Cook, .. but maybe some teams would prefer him in more 2nd back role than featured at his point of his career. And they won't spend that much on him.

Foreman and Hunt as 2nd back rotation, but let's face it.. if just 4 million is too much for Zack Moss, ..it doesn't sound likely for us to sign these aforementioned vet backs. ... we're gonna draft a RB per 2nd round, and add that rookie with backs like Rico and Malik Davis types. ..cheaper the better per Cap Boy Stephen.

- I'm thinking we could have kept Tyron if Stephen really wanted to... but if his camp were not onboard with
Zack Martin got his new contract just in time, otherwise he could have been at odds too.

- i think with the contracts of Dak, Lamb and Parsons looming very near- Stephen is panicking and paranoid that the
club funds will be so depleted, and thus already very high conservative, Stephen Cap Boy is now doubling that rep.

- Lewis was returned on a very cheap tag. Like 2.8 for 1 year. I'm surprised there wasn't as much interest from other NFL teams.
- If Cowboys show no interest in re-signing Gilmore to a 1 year like deal in a range he believes fair, then he'll likely sign up with a SB contender.

- yes, expect McClay to be asked to scrap the bottom of pot bargain vets, who won't be near as effective as a
Hankins or Fowler. And coaches will be asked to make smoke/mirrors with practice squad guys like Tyrus Wheatley, etc.
Starting RB will come from the draft and a vet will be added for depth.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Can usually get a top interior offensive lineman there. Their draft value isn't as high.
yes last year they got Mazi lol........ not much help
it is possible, but look at who is doing the picking!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
yes last year they got Mazi lol........ not much help
it is possible, but look at who is doing the picking!
Year before, we got Tyler. Usually we do pretty good in the first round, unless we're selecting defensive linemen.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Benson is the number 1 running back prospect. He is not going to be there at 56. 6’1 4.39 forty. Perfect bel cow back. Our pick is late in the round again. We got Tyler at 24 and Mazi at 26.
He isn’t considered an elite prospect, actually the only one is Brooks but he tore his acl late last season

Cowboyny

Reaction score
it will very likely be thru the NFL draft.
They are not picking up guys like that when they are seriously scraping to save pennies on their current cap.

we have our '25 starters in Lamb & Cooks,.. now it's about finding depth guys that add to the Tolbert, Brooks and Turpin.
maybe promising rookies that could even challenge the current depth guys.

Turpin's return game likely keeps his roster spot.
It’s probably more of a 2025 priority need as I do see Cooks being resigned and probably have enough evidence if Tolbert is a keeper or not

gimmesix

Reaction score
Even though Brooks has by consensus been rated the best of the top five RB prospects (Benson, Corum, Irving, Estime) - would it be wise to take him at 56 - coming off an ACL injury last November?
Probably not, but we haven't been wise with second-round picks for a long time now. I think they'll just view it like they are getting a first-round talent for a bargain, and they are big on bargains.

gimmesix

Reaction score
He is still has that deep speed, but don't think he was used right in this offense. We know he won't be back next next season, but the bigger issue is really with Tolbert. He was suppose to be a quality #2/#3 type, but he is more of a 4 or 5. Question I have, is the team ready to move on from him after just 2 seasons?
Tolbert? Based on us cutting Gallup, I believe the Joneses are putting it on Tolbert to do-or-die this season. That's understandable to an extent because you want your third-rounders to at least develop into a No. 3. I just hate that we do things like this without any kind of safety net. Tolbert should at least have to beat out a vet for the job instead of being handed it because we have no one proven for him to have to beat.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

I think they want to go with a cheap, 2 back system then having an elite bell cow type like Zeke. All those backs mentioned with a back on day 2 would work. Heard they love Brooks but he is coming off of an acl. Many believe he is the best back in the class. At this juncture, do believe one of those backs will take a small 1yr deal as they want to stay in this league.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Tolbert? Based on us cutting Gallup, I believe the Joneses are putting it on Tolbert to do-or-die this season. That's understandable to an extent because you want your third-rounders to at least develop into a No. 3. I just hate that we do things like this without any kind of safety net. Tolbert should at least have to beat out a vet for the job instead of being handed it because we have no one proven for him to have to beat.
Maybe that was part of the reason they cut Gallup. Tolbert was playing more than Gallup at the end of the year.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys believe in the interior backups more than us fans do. Plus I get the feeling Tyler is going to play LT.There are good interior players to find in the middle of the draft. If your the Cowboys can you afford to draft Brooks after the way Pollard played after injury.
I actually thought we'd go this way with the offensive line. The writing was on the wall.

1) They spent a first-round pick on an OT to play left guard until eventually replacing Tyron as the starting LT.

2) They liked what they saw of Asim Richards in limited play.

3) They seemed to like Bass even better at guard than they like Richards at tackle. (But that may just be because guard is the more protected position while tackle is more out on an island.)

I think if we had Tyler, but the next two players were Ball and Waletzko, then we would not have moved on from Tyron. They are taking a chance with these young players, but I believe it's because of what they think they have.

I don't think they will base drafting Brooks off of Pollard's injury. They will base it off projected value. I believe they see him as a first-rounder without the injury and still a good second-round value. Even though he might be slow to recover this year, it's rare for players these days to not make a full recover from an ACL tear and return to form ... eventually. I think we'll eventually get a cheap vet in free agency and then draft Brooks if the draft falls "right." If it doesn't we'll draft a difference back in the second or third.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Maybe that was part of the reason they cut Gallup. Tolbert was playing more than Gallup at the end of the year.
I think they cut Gallup just on what he was making compared to production. But they probably figured they could at least get the same kind of production from Tolbert. I'd like to see them aim higher, but that appears to be where we are as a team. Try not to get worse instead of try to get better. (I don't think the Joneses would view it that way, but I think that's how we as fans view it.)

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think they cut Gallup just on what he was making compared to production. But they probably figured they could at least get the same kind of production from Tolbert. I'd like to see them aim higher, but that appears to be where we are as a team. Try not to get worse instead of try to get better. (I don't think the Joneses would view it that way, but I think that's how we as fans view it.)
Pollard had 55 catches as well. 3rd leading WR.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I think you are giving this FO too much credit in the brain category to have any kind of a plan to get this train back on the tracks after getting derailed 29 years ago. The delusional duo act like they know what they're doing but haven't got a clue. Keep chasing their tail. I don't see anything changing in Dallas, other than the paintings in the art gallery and the urinal cakes in the bathrooms.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Pollard had 55 catches as well. 3rd leading WR.
We did throw to the backs quite a bit in the first year in McCarthy's system. Of course, I'm not sure how effective whoever we get as a back at this point is going to be. Pollard was a good receiver coming out of college.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I did an informal survey of FA WRs and the average salary is $14 million with a range of $11 to $23. I heard they may cut ties with Gallup and aren't happy with Cooks price tag. If they let those guys go and draft a guy it would need to be early on or that room has just gotten a lot worse On a side note OG is in high demand with an average of $18.75 million/yr with a range of $9 million to $20 million per year.
Tolbert replaces Gallup. That is their plan.