What if. Next season

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Scandrick probably shouldn't start, but with his contract he could be kept around for cheap insurance and he can still play some. Like Lee, he has been injured, a lot. If we played him less he may be more effective because he may stay a little bit healthier.

Which is why they needed to draft some LB's last year, and really need to draft some this year.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't mind "what if" being proposed as long as we keep out of the realm of fiction. I prefer to keep my speculation about the up coming season in the realm of what is really possible. Jerry isn't looking to make big changes in the coaching staff or withdrawal his presence in the draft war room. With the exception of coaches moving up in the world on other teams, we will mostly be stuck with the same coaching staff in 2018. So that leaves free agency and the draft where meaningful changes can happen. I'm amazed at how much I agree with the numerous roster changes the OP proposes. Dez being cut, I wouldn't mind but doubt would actually happen.

Verdict

Reaction score
Which is why they needed to draft some LB's last year, and really need to draft some this year.

I assume you are equating Jaylon and Lee with Scandrick and player availability. I'm not sure that's the over riding factor, but I would like to see a stud linebacker drafted somewhere. A thumper in the middle would be the best.

How much better would this defense have been this year if we had spent the Taco pick on a linebacker, even in a trade back? Taco has been a complete NON-FACTOR this year. Tapper has almost the same contribution as Taco from IR.

Aven8

Reaction score
Witten is a player. Players do what coaches tell them to.

What is all this talk like "Witten won't come out of the game" or "Witten won't let them take him out for a series"?

Sit down, diva. You aren't the only player on the team. Even Clayton Kershaw gets pulled in the 7th inning sometimes.

Witt won't come out of the game. Broadus said this the other day. They asked him why Switz doesn't get a chance on the field and he said because Witt won't come off the field.

Macnalty

Reaction score
No Dez has shown that he isn't going to be any more than he is now. Limiting targets to him instead of forcing him the ball may motivate him but I think he is too weak minded for that. He would melt down.

He is just so mentally limited/limited mental motivation that he is far less of a receiver than we should be. His contract was a really poor decision for the Cowboys. Very poor decision.
He is who he is, we should not question his mental makeup it is poor form. He is a difficult case for a coach and one that needs special attention. I agree other avenues need to be explored in order to take advantage of his huge talent at the catch point.

Verdict

Reaction score
Witt won't come out of the game. Broadus said this the other day. They asked him why Switz doesn't get a chance on the field and he said because Witt won't come off the field.

That shouldn't be a player's decision. That is piss poor coaching.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Yes. Zeke is that important to this team. We should have grabbed a running back like Mixon high in the draft. We could have traded back, grabbed Mixon instead of Taco and picked up a developmental end somewhere in the draft, which is what we have in Taco.

There were a couple of DEs rated with 3rd round grades and that would have been the value we could have grabbed in a trade down. If we had Mixon on this team we would still be in the playoff hunt.

Taking Zeke out of some of the earlier games contributed to the losses. Letting Leary go hurt is too. The OL wasn't the same early in the year, but it is getting better.
Not all our choices are going to be correct, I agreed with the Leary move it just seemed like too much money nothing to do with his talent. Color me wrong on that one. Mixon has not looked like the same back I watched extensively at OU last year. At the end of the first round getting a DE was always going to be a project and not a impact starter most days. TJ Watts is playing well so we should diagnose why we did not like him but not dwell. We are still in this playoff race no matter what the media writes, three weeks in Dec can be difficult to predict. Love your opinions.

9of11

Reaction score
The only issue is this coaching staff don't know how to use Dez in the slot. They never have. And when they do find certain plays that work well, rather slot or on the outside. They never go back to them.

The slant, the crossing routes, they worked well in the past. I don't recall them using them with Dak. Well the slant once in a blue moon.
I agree but it makes me wonder why they use a ton of down and outs. Are they hiding something from us about Dak? Can Dak throw an accurate pass on slant routes and crossing patterns? I've never seen a team avoid the center of the field as much as the Cowboys do.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Gosh all mighty I never heard that before! Where'd you come up with that?
in todays nfl with all teams being as close in talent level as they are coaching is mostly the deciding factor the teams with good coaches and good qbs are consistently in the playoff picture the others are not

MileyDancer

Reaction score
So we use two of our top 3 picks on WRs potentially?

So the only change you'd make to a defense that is mediocre is add a DT and a 2nd round LB?

My god people.
No kidding. I saw a poster saying we need to draft an OT in the first round. Sound logic.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A realistic possible scenario:

I would prefer new coaches but realistically I don't see that happening. The offensive scheme is what I dislike the most. New WR coach added.

Keep Jerry away from the War Room on draft days. Just mention Zeke and Goodell...

Keep
DLaw - Franchise
Irving - Tender
Hitchens - Re-sign
Cooper - Re-sign

Cut
Scandrick
Dez - After training camp

Add
Poe 1-year, 8M
Backup OT -free agent
1st round WR
2nd round LB
3rd round RB/Receiver with "juice"

Witten and Rico split snaps 50-50

No Safety or RDE in top 3 rounds or FA.

Noah Brown, the new WR and Rico play 90% of snaps in the preseason.

Well............first, we still have Garrett so that pretty much ruins everything right there. But then you want to use two of our first 3 picks on offense and WR? Wow!!

Like the poe signing, but we need safeties, DE, linebackers, corners the whole nine yards on defense. With what you have right there the only improvement I see is Poe. We will basically fielding the same team as this year but with a rookie WR instead of Dez?

Not liking that one. You need to get off the offense train. If we can get a top 5 defense then we are in business. 90% of all our assets should go towards the defense next season. This IS a running team. Cut Dez and sign couple of speedy veteran WR's in FA.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
until the coaching and defense is fixed the cowboys are not winning any thing

Watched the Green Bay winning TD play. 3 receivers stacked on left side. 2 immediately block within the 5 yard allowable area. The Third positions himself to be behind that block and usually is wide open...

Wheres our variation of this " legal play" instead we run that formation of bunching and an elaborate combination of long developing routes. The Pack, even Giants, Denver, and certainly Pats , and need to watch but maybe Eagles , all do a form of Pack play to great success...

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score

I know people say that. I'm saying if the coaches WANT him out of the game, they need to tell him to sit his *** down when he's told to or he can stay home.

How they gonna let the lunatics run the asylum? Idiot coaching staff.

conner01

Reaction score
Dez isn’t going anywhere next year
We aren’t adding a bunch of top flight free agents. Probably one at best but most likely more middle of the road guys
All drafts are important but this one needs to be very good because over the next couple years anyway you look at it we have two defensive guys ( irving and Dlaw) and Martin to deal with. Next year not so bad because we can tag and tender the defensive guys but eventually those options run out or get very expensive

conner01

Reaction score
I know people say that. I'm saying if the coaches WANT him out of the game, they need to tell him to sit his *** down when he's told to or he can stay home.

How they gonna let the lunatics run the asylum? Idiot coaching staff.
Witten is the ultimate team player. If they want him out more he will be out more. Like any player he wants to play but he’s not gonna throw a fit if his reps are cut in half

phildadon86

Reaction score
A realistic possible scenario:

I would prefer new coaches but realistically I don't see that happening. The offensive scheme is what I dislike the most. New WR coach added.

Keep Jerry away from the War Room on draft days. Just mention Zeke and Goodell...

Keep
DLaw - Franchise
Irving - Tender
Hitchens - Re-sign
Cooper - Re-sign

Cut
Scandrick
Dez - After training camp

Add
Poe 1-year, 8M
Backup OT -free agent
1st round WR
2nd round LB
3rd round RB/Receiver with "juice"

Witten and Rico split snaps 50-50

No Safety or RDE in top 3 rounds or FA.

Noah Brown, the new WR and Rico play 90% of snaps in the preseason.
How many posts a week are you going to slip in about cutting dez?