What if the Cowboys announced they do not care about playoff wins?

kskboys

Reaction score
You definitely make a solid point there. But unless our owner changes his SOP, a new GM would just be drafting, managing the cap, and filling in holes with undrafted free agents. There really wouldn't be much for him to do.
I'm thinking you're being sarcastic!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Every team has draft choices they regret. All Gms. Even the “semi-competent” ones. Sorry.
Me too, I am sorry you are unable to see the extreme idiocy of this FO. I mean, what's that saying? One cannot see what one does not want to see.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm thinking you're being sarcastic!!!
I'm not being sarcastic. Jerry would have to allow a GM to run things differently. GMs spend the owner's money. If the owner doesn't want a change in philosophy, a new GM changes little. You see it in baseball.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Not for a very long time. His son is not that old. What happened to Jerry? He used to go out and get those FAs. Some hit, some miss, you can't just quit on it altogether because of the misses. But we've seen the weirdness of Jerry early on.

Jerry had a problem paying Emmitt Smith after a SB win in the 1992 season. Emmitt wasn't holding out, he had no contract at all. They couldn't come to terms until week 3 of the 1993 season. Couldn't come to terms with a player that was the rushing leader and a huge part of why we won the SB. That's nuts.

Then after the 1993 season runs the coach out of town. A coach that just won two super bowls in a row. That's like the owner of the Chiefs firing Andy Reid!!! This is our owner, and GM.
Jimmy quit he wasnt fired, he got mad about 2 things, 500 coach comment, then jerry started having his own gigantic PC's.
He contradicted things jimmy had said in his PC, so jimmy got in his corvette, and left town.
He only came back for his last paycheck and that PC with him and jerry.

kskboys

Reaction score
The entire career of J Smooth is an open and shut case. You do not draft him if winning playoff games is the priority. You do not play him when he is killing the team. You do not sign him to that absurd contract. The entire thing was a feel good story and publicity stunt that literally cost the team wins. Jerry does not care. It is his toy and he will play with it however he wants. We drafted a tiny baby because his dad works for the team. We brought back a washed out cripple because Jerry drafted him 4th overall once. The entire RB position is compromised because Jerry does what he feels like. It is complete madness and to say otherwise is willful ignorance.
Absolutely not the actions of someone who wants to win.

Flamma

Reaction score
Jimmy quit he wasnt fired, he got mad about 2 things, 500 coach comment, then jerry started having his own gigantic PC's.
He contradicted things jimmy had said in his PC, so jimmy got in his corvette, and left town.
He only came back for his last paycheck and that PC with him and jerry.
I didn't say he was fired. I know he wasn't.

ArtClink

Reaction score
As long as this owner chooses to play fantasy football with this team alongside his giggling offspring, the team is already announcing what they’ve done for nearly three decades.

When you really think about it, this what our owner tells this fan base every off-season:
  • ”Nothing will change at the top of this organization no matter the results.”
  • ”We just need to get lucky. We are right at the rim every year.”
  • ”Financial might makes all other things right.”
  • ”As long as I’m breathing, someone else will be held accountable for my failures on the field.”
In essence, this fan base is expected to “have faith” in and continue to buy the product Jerry produces despite 4 wild card wins this century. It is insanity.
The best post of the off-season and gospel truth.

ArtClink

Reaction score
If you don’t think ownership really matters in teams winning titles, realize this - the winning owners of the last 28 SBs all hired someone besides themselves as the GM. The owner who has decided to remain in charge no matter what has not won a divisional playoff game since Barry Switzer roamed our sidelines.

The owner/GM model does not work anymore. This is no longer an NFL era where a guy like Al Davis or Jerry Jones can be owner and GM and hoist a Lombardi. We have three decades of evidence including 28 straight Lombardis being hoisted by owners who hired someone else to be GM.
But I think it’s “our year” in 2024 …

ArtClink

Reaction score
Holy Larry, griping about others griping!!!! Good stuff, man!!!!!

Griping ruins the boards? Looks like you're guilty, dude.

Seriously, how in the world did you come up w/ this ruin the board thingie? I mean, it's just so weak. Maybe try again and do better?
Well this is an opinions forum so everyone pls keep their opinions to themselves lol

Blackrain

Reaction score
I know this would never happen, but let’s pretend that during a news conference-Jerry and Stephen announce they do not care if they win a single other playoff game if they were guaranteed to be in the playoffs each season.

What would your reaction be to that statement?
Would your interest in the team change at all? Would you still spend money on the team? Throw rotten tomatoes/onions/feces at Jerry and Stephen if given the chance?

Happy Birthday Murica! And I’m sorry if my initial thread upset anyone’s sensibilities so early in the morning.
They would finally be admitting the truth but not telling me anything I didn't already know

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Be mindful that our FO would like to be in the playoffs, but they're bereft of paying what it takes to get there -- who knew?! :thumbdown: :angry:

Last edited:
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think they care about playoff wins. They just want to make the playoffs and hope for the best. They don't want to push a lot of money forward. Because doing that can lead to lean years. They don't want lean years.
And really there's some merit to that approach, maintaining a level of competitiveness means you're likely going to be ready when the planets finally align...

Flamma

Reaction score
And really there's some merit to that approach, maintaining a level of competitiveness means you're likely going to be ready when the planets finally align...
Sure. Low risk with some reward, and very little chance of a disaster. When I used to bet harness racing, I used to put 20 dollars on the favorite to show. That means come in 3rd. I never had a bad night. Never had a great night either. At worst I broke even, but food and drinks were on the house.