What if this team wins it all and you were too busy being Debbie Downer to enjoy it till the very end?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't disagree. yes, there is more emotions involved. point being, life goes on. you deal with an entertainment disappointment. its not life altering in any way and if anyone takes it over the top emotionally, then they have bigger issues they need to address. if football just goes away tomorrow, I will be very disappointed as its a great entertainment for me. but I will find another entertainment to support my sports fix need. there is plenty of options. its a game. nothing more. nothing less. now, with that said, I am not a casual fan. we plan our weekends around cowboys games. I own merchandise. we watch as a family and have fun together.

I will not be devestated if we don't win the superbowl. I won't be overly elated and on cloud 9 for months if we do.

not sure about the financial aspect, as I was talking general fans. if they are financially invested, I have to ask how? gambling? if that's the case. then don't.

do I buy merchendise? yes. I bought it during the time we weren't winning. price was cheaper ;)

do I have posters of Dak and the team around the house? no. some do perhaps. and some have posters of Dak with a target on it. both is a bit extreme if you ask me.
No...not gambling. Tickets for example.

We are getting in the weeds here. The real issue here is dont worry what other people do (maybe ...not you). Everyone is entitled to do it how they want. I suspect some people should use the ignore feature more.
Also the internet psychologists...able to determine a persons mental state and well being....on an anonymous sports message board....takes a lot of meatballs.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We see a lot of posts from people spouting the curmudgeonly doctrine that "it doesn't count until the playoffs." That got me to thinking.. Are those people not able to enjoy what this team is doing right now? I would totally hate for this team to end up hoisting the Lombardi and all I could remember about how they got there was how miserable I was waiting for it to happen.

Am I wrong guys?
Lots of stinky rats jumped ship after the niner game. Now they’re trying to crawl back on. I say don’t let em.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I gave a like but 'half this board' is an exaggeration. A small number of members posting a large volume of comments is more than it seems. Roosters crow the loudest and hardest but there are way more hens sitting inside the chicken coop, lol.
But the roosters run the joint. Many have left or don’t post anymore because of all the negativity.

jsb357

Reaction score
One can "enjoy the journey" and still be critical of things along the way
that may derail "the journey".

:starspin:

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Who doesn't enjoy the games? I like to watch them play every year win or lose.

I just know I've seen this level of success a ton. It doesn't really mean much until they do something in the playoffs.

It's about standards.
It's a little silly for fans to discuss "standards", as if we have any influence. The only real standard that a fan can enforce is whether or not to continue to engage with the team. That's a personal decision - kind of like whether or not to go see a movie that is released. There are lots and lots of movies I never see because of my standards. But I don't gripe and complain to the movie studios, or to the Hollywood industry in general. I just ignore their work product. We have the same choice about the Cowboys. To engage, or not to engage. That is the question.

1942willys

Reaction score
One can "enjoy the journey" and still be critical of things along the way
that may derail "the journey".

:starspin:
Those of us who have been a Cowboy fan since the 70's are not terribly impressed with winning regular season games. THAT IS TO BE EXPECTED FOR THE DALLAS COWBOYS
When were the standards lowered and we only treasure regular season and ignore the playoff results?
In modern terminology, when did participation trophies become the accepted norm for the Dallas Cowboys?

erod

Reaction score
It's a little silly for fans to discuss "standards", as if we have any influence. The only real standard that a fan can enforce is whether or not to continue to engage with the team. That's a personal decision - kind of like whether or not to go see a movie that is released. There are lots and lots of movies I never see because of my standards. But I don't gripe and complain to the movie studios, or to the Hollywood industry in general. I just ignore their work product. We have the same choice about the Cowboys. To engage, or not to engage. That is the question.
The Cowboys as an entity have standards. Even if Jerry tries to undo them.

Landry had a winning record 20 consecutive years and went to the Super Bowl 5 times. Jimmy built a team that won 3 championships in 4 years.

The Cowboys are the Yankees, Lakers, and Manchester United.

Perhaps the Browns are more to your liking.

rambo2

Reaction score
Those of us who have been a Cowboy fan since the 70's are not terribly impressed with winning regular season games. THAT IS TO BE EXPECTED FOR THE DALLAS COWBOYS
When were the standards lowered and we only treasure regular season and ignore the playoff results?
In modern terminology, when did participation trophies become the accepted norm for the Dallas Cowboys?
I've been a Cowboys fan since 1965 and I'm very impressed with this team and consider them to be one of the best in the history of the franchise. You can't have playoff results until the playoffs start and I expect this team to do well.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
The Cowboys as an entity have standards. Even if Jerry tries to undo them.

Landry had a winning record 20 consecutive years and went to the Super Bowl 5 times. Jimmy built a team that won 3 championships in 4 years.

The Cowboys are the Yankees, Lakers, and Manchester United.

Perhaps the Browns are more to your liking.
Landry's been dead for decades. And it's been a couple of decades since the Yankees won also.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I've been a Cowboys fan since 1965 and I'm very impressed with this team and consider them to be one of the best in the history of the franchise. You can't have playoff results until the playoffs start and I expect this team to do well.
Exactly. Griping about the playoffs before January is just a waste of everyone's time.

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
yeah. me too. shades of 2007, 2014, 2016.
I disagree. During those three seasons, are head coach was Wade Phillips in 2007 and Jason Garrett for the latter two. I never felt confident that this team would ever succeed with either one. MM has at least a past demonstrating that he can bring a team far into the playoffs and a Super Bowl. Does that guarantee anything for this year - 100% no. But I can at least enjoy the ride until that happens - if it happens.

rambo2

Reaction score
I disagree. During those three seasons, are head coach was Wade Phillips in 2007 and Jason Garrett for the latter two. I never felt confident that this team would ever succeed with either one. MM has at least a past demonstrating that he can bring a team far into the playoffs and a Super Bowl. Does that guarantee anything for this year - 100% no. But I can at least enjoy the ride until that happens - if it happens.
They look to be set up for at least 1 playoff win and look like they could win more this year and contend for a championship.

Preoccupied

Reaction score
We see a lot of posts from people spouting the curmudgeonly doctrine that "it doesn't count until the playoffs." That got me to thinking.. Are those people not able to enjoy what this team is doing right now? I would totally hate for this team to end up hoisting the Lombardi and all I could remember about how they got there was how miserable I was waiting for it to happen.

Am I wrong guys?
Phase 1 = Regular Season ( yeah,yeah,yeah 10-7 and or better) <-- Bread and butter, hows my prediction WL record turned out?

Phase 2 = Play-offs (Those hurdles that we cannot get through since 199X) <-- intriguingly waiting for.

Phase 3 = You know the rest rings, a trophy <-- We made it, did I just dream?
Mr JJ, I owe you an apology you landed the 4th......time will tell on that one.

With 2 x 12 plus wins in phase 1, I am waiting for phase 2.
I expect us to get out of phase 1, due to 2 x 12 wins + the team cogs becoming very efficient as of late.

Do I enjoy the regular season = It's enjoyable as it is a chore to wait for Phase 2.

Good night!

starfan1

Reaction score
Landry's been dead for decades. And it's been a couple of decades since the Yankees won also.
fans living in the past. The cowboys standards in terms of lombardis left when the salary cap era began. Jerry hasnt done the best at managing it and putting all the pieces together at the same time. He done well enough to feed the brand not the fan.

I just enjoy the season regardless of the results

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No...not gambling. Tickets for example.

We are getting in the weeds here. The real issue here is dont worry what other people do (maybe ...not you). Everyone is entitled to do it how they want. I suspect some people should use the ignore feature more.
Also the internet psychologists...able to determine a persons mental state and well being....on an anonymous sports message board....takes a lot of meatballs.
agreed. but tickets are part of what people choose to spend their entertainment money. I call it disposable income.

but to each his own. I don't think there are too many people who are over the top one way or the other.

I stand behind what I said, if you get overtly bent out of shape and go mad over a football game loss, then yeah, you have issues. its entertainment. if you are "devestated" mentally. then yeah you are taking it way too seriously. my comment stands. btw, I did study Psychology . I did some work on Public Mass Psychology. its fascinating.