What is something you have learned as you have matured?

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Social mediums are the ultimate, antisocial platforms.
weaponsdistraction.jpg

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There isn't enough room here but I have two sons and my wife used to like to say she raised three boys. She thought "Love Story" was a comedy and laughed out loud at the signature quote, "love means never having to say you're sorry". I began every day with "forgive me for what I am about to do". She taught me to love beyond the faults. And almost love myself in spite of them.

I am the textbook example of that saying "I was amazed at how much smarter my father became as I got older". Because of the lack of a strong relationship, I ignored, even went counter to, the best advice I've ever received.

Intelligence isn't contagious but stupidity is. Especially in large crowds. I avoid large crowds because I am as stupid as I want to get.

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I hope I find out when I get there.

Regrets are like anchors. They can be helpful to us while we are in that place but make it very difficult to move on. Forgiving ourselves is the wind in our sail.

My greatest lesson and regret is that I didn't live enough in the present, in the past, because I was too focused on the future. I didn't master the art of appreciating the now because I thought the later would be better. It isn't.

I avoided life's toughest lesson for most of my life and then it descended on me with all it's force. Loss isn't a lesson we are trained for and it is unrelenting in teaching us what we should have appreciated at the time we had it. "You don't know what you've got until you lose it" might just be the greatest line in all of the songs written. But here again, I didn't appreciate it at the time.

I always thought I'd be smarter when I got older. I am still waiting.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Whiskey on beer, never fear. Beer on whiskey, very risky.

I can remember that but can't ever remember whether it's feed a cold and starve a fever or vice versa. So I throw whiskey at both and let them work it out.
You had it right coach.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
I plan much further ahead now. I have a 1 year goal,5year,10year and where i would like to end. They can be tweaked but at least they exist.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
The topic made me listen to this song:

As I was goin' over the Cork and Kerry mountains
I saw Captain Farrell and his money he was countin'
I first produced my pistol and then produced my rapier
I said stand o'er and deliver or the devil he may take ya
Musha ring dumb a do dumb a da
Whack for my daddy-o
Whack for my daddy-o
There's whiskey in the jar-o

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The topic made me listen to this song:

As I was goin' over the Cork and Kerry mountains
I saw Captain Farrell and his money he was countin'
I first produced my pistol and then produced my rapier
I said stand o'er and deliver or the devil he may take ya
Musha ring dumb a do dumb a da
Whack for my daddy-o
Whack for my daddy-o
There's whiskey in the jar-o
Metallica's version?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I've learned to a void social media for the most part. CBZ is about as close as I get and even then. I stick to the Off-Topic Zone. (in case some of you haven't noticed!)

The reason being:
  • WAY too much drama. Fighting, arguing, breakups, people cheating, airing their family's dirty laundy, etc Yeah, no. Don't need it.
  • Too many people seem to think EVERYONE wants to hear their opinions on whatever! Umm, if someone wants your opinion, THEY WOULD ASKED FOR IT! You don't need to make proclamations to the world via social media, because nobody cares what you think!
  • Too much religious content.
  • Too much political content.
  • Too many people want to be your friend. Yet, most people only have 1-4 actual *real* friends. Everyone else. Not really your fiend, yet they are now in all your business you air on social media.
  • Social media can damage your professional future.
  • Social media can damage your personal family life.
  • Social media can damage your friendships with those you consider close friends

The single good thing I've seen on social media is that every once in a while, it can make you laugh from something someone posted. What I have learned is you don't need social media to find funny stuff. I certainly find a lot to keep me laughing without social media!

As Bill Parcells once said. Nothing good happens after midnight. In my opinion, nothing good comes from social media. It's broke up more friends, caused riffs between family, and of course. It's probably the leading cause of cheating these days.

I don't need it and I've found that overall. I'm much happier without it. (without the Fan Zone too) I learned that many years ago and I still practice the abstinence of social media. (and the Fan Zone)

I've been getting there. I'll admit I'm not completely abstinent from the social media, but I get less and less 'dependent' on it everyday. Like you mentioned, it's just so poisonous. Back when it first appeared and started gaining steam in the Myspace days and early Facebook days, it was new and fresh and felt so much more laid back. The spirit throughout was much more carefree and people socialized and enjoyed themselves. Now, it feels so force feed with opinions, and hate, and arguing, and people that need to seek attention. Plus I sit there and watch couples tag each other back and forth on it all day long. I doubt in 20 years, when they're in their older age, they will look back and think "wow. sure glad we spent all those years together with our faces stuffed in our phones". Put your phone down and pay attention to each other. Or maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy. :eek: haha

:laugh:

Youth is wasted on the young

So much yes!!! This, I can say without a doubt, I didn't understand at all as a young adult. "What, that's stupid!" Now, being 40, (uh, I mean I just turned 22 :D) I 1000% understand it to a T, and well, it's absolute truth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, that brings me to what I have learned as I got older. Appreciate your time. It feels like since I hit my 20s somebody pulled back on the 'ludicrous speed' lever. It starts going quick and before you know it a decade has gotten behind you and you've lost people that were once in your life and the only thing that remains are the memories. Enjoy the moments and the people that are in them. :)

I also don't get caught up in regret. Sure, there will always be things you wish you could have done differently in life, but at that moment in time, it was exactly what you wanted and why you made that decision. If it resulted in a negative experience then you learned from it. So the long-term outcome of it is still a positive. Now, if you don't learn from it, then you're just an idiot. ;)

:muttley:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you don't separate the men from the musicians, like you separate the men from the football players? o_O:grin:
I do but I've always tried to separate the people from what they do. If I like what they do, I want to know less about them. I enjoyed watching Irvin, Owens and Lewis play but can't stand them as people.

I still enjoy a movie with Mel Gibson or Kevin Spacey while I do not condone what they've said or done. I don't really care to know that much about anyone I like. If they entertain me, they are worthwhile. If not, why are they still here?