What is your favorite Blade

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Hi
Got my Dad's too but it's never been used. He was an avid fowl hunter.
I bet it's nice having a nice reminder of him that you can keep around, too.
Hey,@rynochop ,you know you're dad would insist for you to be using it, I got my dad's old huntin' & fishin' fixed blade knife, it's a western ( I believe, it prolly sold for a whopping $4.75 back in 1954 or something, he'd taught me how to clean fish& game at a real early age in life,I guess that's what you'd call the delegation of duties,ha,ha,ha, I remember one night he'd came home after dark all beered up from out bass fishing (that was about his favorite hobby, other than work) and there was a big white cast iron kitchen sink that had like that dish drainer/ stacking area off to the right side mounted up in the corner of the back porch( I was probably only about 5or 6 y.o.) dad was knocking down a big plate of supper, And I kept hearing this frog croaking, not steady & constant, just intermittently every now and then, it was really working on me,so I'd climbed on that sink counter top cuz' I'd had that croaking frog sound pinpointed to be coming from there& when I looked into that sink there were 3 largemouth bass dad had laid in there, they looked pretty big to me,anyway I'm thinking those ain't no frogs, and about that time it let rip with another croak to where I could pinpoint which fish it was coming from& I opened up that fishes mouth and there was a bullfrog halfway feet stuck in that Bass's throat,man, I remember getting in trouble for yelling there's a frog,there's a frog,running into the living room with this big fish in my hands,dad's half in the bag eating supper in his king dad recliner ,I remember getting sent to bed over it:lmao2:

cml750

Reaction score
My favorite blade is Stormbringer. I know this is about knives but I am curious if anyone knows what Stormbringer is without the help of Google.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
My favorite blade is Stormbringer. I know this is about knives but I am curious if anyone knows what Stormbringer is without the help of Google.
Was it the sword from the prince Valiant strip from the Sunday paper funny section? Or maybe Haggard the Horrible's trusty blade?

cml750

Reaction score
Was it the sword from the prince Valiant strip from the Sunday paper funny section? Or maybe Haggard the Horrible's trusty blade?
It was a sword from the mythical Elric of Melniboné series written by Michael Moorcock. I enjoyed reading those books as a kid.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
It was a sword from the mythical Elric of Melniboné series written by Michael Moorcock. I enjoyed reading those books as a kid.
While I'm thinking that Elric labeled handle is kinda a cool one to run with,I'm drawing a complete blank as to this series of literary works, Now that one summer I was expelled from school with one week till summer vacation and suffered intensive house arrest from king dad, I think I read every Conan paperback that Howard guy wrote,,,o_O

nobody

Reaction score
Hi

Hey,@rynochop ,you know you're dad would insist for you to be using it, I got my dad's old huntin' & fishin' fixed blade knife, it's a western ( I believe, it prolly sold for a whopping $4.75 back in 1954 or something, he'd taught me how to clean fish& game at a real early age in life,I guess that's what you'd call the delegation of duties,ha,ha,ha, I remember one night he'd came home after dark all beered up from out bass fishing (that was about his favorite hobby, other than work) and there was a big white cast iron kitchen sink that had like that dish drainer/ stacking area off to the right side mounted up in the corner of the back porch( I was probably only about 5or 6 y.o.) dad was knocking down a big plate of supper, And I kept hearing this frog croaking, not steady & constant, just intermittently every now and then, it was really working on me,so I'd climbed on that sink counter top cuz' I'd had that croaking frog sound pinpointed to be coming from there& when I looked into that sink there were 3 largemouth bass dad had laid in there, they looked pretty big to me,anyway I'm thinking those ain't no frogs, and about that time it let rip with another croak to where I could pinpoint which fish it was coming from& I opened up that fishes mouth and there was a bullfrog halfway feet stuck in that Bass's throat,man, I remember getting in trouble for yelling there's a frog,there's a frog,running into the living room with this big fish in my hands,dad's half in the bag eating supper in his king dad recliner ,I remember getting sent to bed over it:lmao2:

Great story, man! Thanks for sharing it!

Blackrain

Reaction score
Hi

That's a classic !!!

Blackrain

Reaction score
:thumbup: that's funny man, "the ol' grandpa's back in our preteen days were definitely cut outta' some no B.S. stout stuff"

*in the military, I'd razor strop that Gerber MK-II Commando on my 782/deuce web gear, I could shave with that one:starspin:
It got broke in half,I still got the blade around here somewhere ( I think it's in the 95 fords tool box,I'd split the eyehole & flaired out the two sides of 6" adjustable crescent wrench & welded that on as a handle),,,SHEESE! ,,,when I could hit it just right, that thing would penetrate one side of those old heavy galvanized garbage cans slinging it from 20 yards away :lmao2: if it didn't strike point first it put a big dent in it with a resounding " CLUNGGGG" sound:lmao:

I got 2 of those MK- ll s they are a bad as s knife

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm surprised none of the usual ********** posted:

s-l640.jpg

Not to hi-jack the thread, but, I went rollerblading about a year ago. There is actually still a rink open in a suburb of my area. Anyway, wow, did it remind me of how out of shape I am. took me awhile to get the feel for it again. I remember rollerblading for hours with friends with ease in my younger days. Now, that two or so hours we went, skating around that rink, almost killed me.o_O
:laugh:

Back to topic, I'm not a knife connoisseur but I did go through a knife kick a couple years ago. I have found that I am a huge fan of a serrated edge with spring loaded action. I was walking through a Cabela's not too long ago and was surprised to see that Smith & Wesson makes knives. I wonder if they're of any quality?

Blackrain

Reaction score
Not to hi-jack the thread, but, I went rollerblading about a year ago. There is actually still a rink open in a suburb of my area. Anyway, wow, did it remind me of how out of shape I am. took me awhile to get the feel for it again. I remember rollerblading for hours with friends with ease in my younger days. Now, that two or so hours we went, skating around that rink, almost killed me.o_O

Back to topic, I'm not a knife connoisseur but I did go through a knife kick a couple years ago. I have found that I am a huge fan of a serrated edge with spring loaded action. I was walking through a Cabela's not too long ago and was surprised to see that Smith & Wesson makes knives. I wonder if they're of any quality?

Had an old S&W sheath knife way back that was good quality

Blackrain

Reaction score
My buddy and I were filleting fish today . I was using my Puma Mariner and he was using my Gerber Coho He flexed it too much broke it off right at the handle . Should have done them all myself .

That's the second broken Gerber I have seen this year . The other was a guy trying to pound his through the pelvis of a deer like he had seen me do with my WhiteHunter not the fault of the knife as his Gerber had a pretty thin blade compared to the Puma which is more like a small razor sharp hatchet .

Melonfeud

Reaction score
I got 2 of those MK- ll s they are a bad as s knife
Yes ,they are,Bro!
It's kinda' funny because at one time in life I had ended up owning two of those little Gerber guardian boot daggers at the same time, I know I ended up giving one away & remember cutting a small horizontal slit in the blanket lining of a denim jacket clipping that flat spring of the sheath thru it,carrying it that way was was infinitely my accessible than digging around the top of a boot,,,I'm clueless as to it's whereabouts are now.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
My buddy and I were filleting fish today . I was using my Puma Mariner and he was using my Gerber Coho He flexed it too much broke it off right at the handle . Should have done them all myself .

That's the second broken Gerber I have seen this year . The other was a guy trying to pound his through the pelvis of a deer like he had seen me do with my WhiteHunter not the fault of the knife as his Gerber had a pretty thin blade compared to the Puma which is more like a small razor sharp hatchet .
Big Bummer,Man! Ya-know? Those wood handled fillet knives like the rapella brand or whatever are commonly carried & used as everyday general purpose field knifes up in Norway& the surrounding A.O. ( based upon from what I'd seen)

Melonfeud

Reaction score

I had an ol' Kentuckian deer poacher show me a quick trick on splitting the breast plate on a deer's rib cage with like just the buck folder( I wanna say mod.110 but that might be a fixed blade) when you're field dressing it out ,,,you start down at the bottom of the sternum,centering the blade in the middle& just forcefully yank or pull up,,,"er",,,and towards you( which violates normal blade savvy etiquette, come to think about it while writing this)ANYWAY,it slices right thru all the way to the top in one motion when done correctly

nobody

Reaction score

I can't imagine rollerblading again. It's been nearly 25 years since I did it regularly. I'd probably break something if I tried now.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Yes ,they are,Bro!
It's kinda' funny because at one time in life I had ended up owning two of those little Gerber guardian boot daggers at the same time, I know I ended up giving one away & remember cutting a small horizontal slit in the blanket lining of a denim jacket clipping that flat spring of the sheath thru it,carrying it that way was was infinitely my accessible than digging around the top of a boot,,,I'm clueless as to it's whereabouts are now.

Yep Im done with carrying knives in my boot lost a Gerber like yours and a cold steel Tanto out of my boot and by the time you realize its gone you have walked to hell and back and have no idea where it came out . LOL

Blackrain

Reaction score
I had an ol' Kentuckian deer poacher show me a quick trick on splitting the breast plate on a deer's rib cage with like just the buck folder( I wanna say mod.110 but that might be a fixed blade) when you're field dressing it out ,,,you start down at the bottom of the sternum,centering the blade in the middle& just forcefully yank or pull up,,,"er",,,and towards you( which violates normal blade savvy etiquette, come to think about it while writing this)ANYWAY,it slices right thru all the way to the top in one motion when done correctly

I have seen that using the animals weight to break the sternum with the base of the blade . My method utilizes the bottom of the deers back leg. I take the White Hunter and run it around the joint right below the tendon and tarsal gland . When all the spaghetti like tendons are cut through the lower leg snaps off over your knee like a stick for kindling .

That lower leg becomes a hammer that will not deface your knife . I then cut down to the pelvis and use the leg to tap the knife through the pelvis . With that carefully split open the intestines and bladder will flop right on through there with no chance of puncturing it .

Then I slit the belly up to the sternum and again use the leg to tap the knife through the sternum up to the neck . That opens the whole cavity and allows the entrails to be cleanly flopped out and cut off at the anus .

I came up with this method after seeing many deer ruined during field dressing . Guys all pumped up with adrenalin after shooting a big buck trying to cut around the anus and pull it through like they were shown in every outdoor magazine . Or reaching up through the cavity to cut the windpipe only to cut themselves and with the amount of blood they had on themselves and not even know it happened .

Guys would wonder why the tenderloins didn't taste good not knowing they poked through the membrane and marinated guts into the meat for a 4 hr ride home LOLOL.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I can't imagine rollerblading again. It's been nearly 25 years since I did it regularly. I'd probably break something if I tried now.

I do it with my kids once in a while and Ice skate to can still go back wards but must have a hockey stick in hand to feel comfortable . We played much hockey on skates and later Blades .