What is your favorite Blade

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Yep Im done with carrying knives in my boot lost a Gerber like yours and a cold steel Tanto out of my boot and by the time you realize its gone you have walked to hell and back and have no idea where it came out . LOL
:lmao::lmao2::lmao:
Yeppers! Man,did I ever tell you about the time I was bowhuntin' in central downtown deerville? I mean the brush,tree saplings, vines&scrub oaks( mast generating feed source)was so thick stooping half way bent over& twisting thru for forward progress was required,,, well, I'd feathered one in it's right front shoulder from 20yd( give or take) & it bounded off with about 8" of fletched nocked arrow end sticking out
( the deer pathways/trails were insane man,intersecting, branching off in Y's, you name it) I'd shot& lost two more arrows at two additional deer while searching out deer#1
( there was a small patch of razor cut deer hair &3or4 drops of blood,very little blood ,with about a million set of tracks on the ground)
Anyway, I'd lost my company work phone,as I had the on call emergency response duty that weekend for the gas co.,,,I was pretty well screwed,man,,,but,,, I'd uncoiled an 18" thermocouple for a water heater I carried in my shirt pocket( as real gungy gas men,don't leave home without out it:thumbup:) and I dowsed/witched it's location out, about 300 yards down my back trail,,, straight truth:starspin:

Blackrain

Reaction score
:lmao::lmao2::lmao:
Yeppers! Man,did I ever tell you about the time I was bowhuntin' in central downtown deerville? I mean the brush,tree saplings, vines&scrub oaks( mast generating feed source)was so thick stooping half way bent over& twisting thru for forward progress was required,,, well, I'd feathered one in it's right front shoulder from 20yd( give or take) & it bounded off with about 8" of fletched nocked arrow end sticking out
( the deer pathways/trails were insane man,intersecting, branching off in Y's, you name it) I'd shot& lost two more arrows at two additional deer while searching out deer#1
( there was a small patch of razor cut deer hair &3or4 drops of blood,very little blood ,with about a million set of tracks on the ground)
Anyway, I'd lost my company work phone,as I had the on call emergency response duty that weekend for the gas co.,,,I was pretty well screwed,man,,,but,,, I'd uncoiled an 18" thermocouple for a water heater I carried in my shirt pocket( as real gungy gas men,don't leave home without out it:thumbup:) and I dowsed/witched it's location out, about 300 yards down my back trail,,, straight truth:starspin:

Im never that lucky lost a Puma stag handled folder on a similar mission and spent the next 2 days in Gods pin cushion trying to find it as it was an anniversary present from the wife .

Never live that one down think someone else must have found it had metal detector and everything . Now every folder is clipped to a belt loop with a lanyard and have not lost another knife in 25 yrs

Melonfeud

Reaction score
I have seen that using the animals weight to break the sternum with the base of the blade . My method utilizes the bottom of the deers back leg. I take the White Hunter and run it around the joint right below the tendon and tarsal gland . When all the spaghetti like tendons are cut through the lower leg snaps off over your knee like a stick for kindling .

That lower leg becomes a hammer that will not deface your knife . I then cut down to the pelvis and use the leg to tap the knife through the pelvis . With that carefully split open the intestines and bladder will flop right on through there with no chance of puncturing it .

Then I slit the belly up to the sternum and again use the leg to tap the knife through the sternum up to the neck . That opens the whole cavity and allows the entrails to be cleanly flopped out and cut off at the anus .

I came up with this method after seeing many deer ruined during field dressing . Guys all pumped up with adrenalin after shooting a big buck trying to cut around the anus and pull it through like they were shown in every outdoor magazine . Or reaching up through the cavity to cut the windpipe only to cut themselves and with the amount of blood they had on themselves and not even know it happened .

Guys would wonder why the tenderloins didn't taste good not knowing they poked through the membrane and marinated guts into the meat for a 4 hr ride home LOLOL.
Lemme' get this picture straight my Man, you use the hind hoof section of the deer as a pounding tool, pretty resourceful, yet later on down the road ,when yer' peeling off it's hide ,do you string it up, if you've done severed one hind legs tendon? I guess utilizing a front leg would work better for me in my way of thinking/doing,,,ya know,at one time my "timed record" for proper care of game meat , after making a running neck shot, dropping a deer in August with a .357 mag Colt's revolver a mile away from my home ( it was running parallel alongside my truck15 yd out,,,:lmao: you might say we were both in forward motion) was 15 minutes time elapsed and I had that sucker laying in the bathtub with the shower head streaming cold water down on it,,,:thumbup:

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Im never that lucky lost a Puma stag handled folder on a similar mission and spent the next 2 days in Gods pin cushion trying to find it as it was an anniversary present from the wife .

Never live that one down think someone else must have found it had metal detector and everything . Now every folder is clipped to a belt loop with a lanyard and have not lost another knife in 25 yrs
Ha,Ha,Ha,,, I generally
" dummy cord " all my knives, truth be told:laugh:
*if they have a lanyard hole,somebody else also figured it was a good idea also,as running the knotted end of that lanyard loop, say ,on the inside of yer belt , more than likely retains that blade on your person till you notice it dangling, as you can feel that little bump if it does come separated from your person, & pulls free easily when you need use of it, That's a good idea of clipping it to the belt loop ,I'd prolly do that on like a weekend canoe outing ( I sold my MAD RIVER back 3 or 4 years ago though)

jsb357

Reaction score
I have my dads Case knife, only two blades. He died 14 years ago and he had it probably 20 before that, I almost put it in his casket with him, but figured he'd rather it be used.

My dad got me a Case Trapper for my 13th birthday.

Back then they did NOT have the polished blades.

He would "borrow" it when he went "in search of wild game"
as it was the sharpest knife in the house.

To this day, it still is.

Melonfeud

Reaction score

AWESOME:thumbup:

*I had a case 'sodbuster' with the black plastic handles as a kid

Melonfeud

Reaction score
I was in my local "Sportsman's Warehouse"
last week( it's a giant toy store for grown men who sometimes shave their face& those who don't as well) and was handling a new 3/4 sized Eastwing one piece steel hafted axe I'd pulled off the wall ,studying upon it's merits& shortcomings & started talking to this dude that was walking by& stopped to peruse the proffered wares available for purchase as well,and,well we got to talking about steel& modern day metallurgy being utilized with the laborious efforts required in edge maintenance involved
( ya fellers,I woke up around 3:39 a.m. and started drinking) anyway, we'd both unequivocally agreed upon the fact that the old steel of 50+ years ago was far superior in that regard, as he espoused the superior virtues of a couple of axe's formerly owned by his grandfather.

Last edited:

Blackrain

Reaction score
Lemme' get this picture straight my Man, you use the hind hoof section of the deer as a pounding tool, pretty resourceful, yet later on down the road ,when yer' peeling off it's hide ,do you string it up, if you've done severed one hind legs tendon? I guess utilizing a front leg would work better for me in my way of thinking/doing,,,ya know,at one time my "timed record" for proper care of game meat , after making a running neck shot, dropping a deer in August with a .357 mag Colt's revolver a mile away from my home ( it was running parallel alongside my truck15 yd out,,,:lmao: you might say we were both in forward motion) was 15 minutes time elapsed and I had that sucker laying in the bathtub with the shower head streaming cold water down on it,,,:thumbup:

I string er up using both tendons . The joint is right below the big tendon . You just circle it with the knife and the white spaghetti like tendons will be exposed when you get them cut the lower leg just snaps right off like a dry stick .

First saw a guy split the pelvis with a Buck General but he beat on the back of it with a rock could never bring myself to do that so I started out sawing it but it was a bit time consuming

Then I took an appropriate size stick and used that to beat the White Hunter through but pieces of bark and wood would get in there so I refined the method by using the lower leg of the deer as it would not damage the knife or leave debris in the meat .

I remove all the lower legs in same fashion as its easier to drag out with out them catching on things

Blackrain

Reaction score

I got a Case Trapper I skin Foxes with you can get them razor sharp fast . The blade is just thick enough to be strong but thin enough to give a fast edge in the field

Blackrain

Reaction score
last week( it's a giant toy store for grown men who sometimes shave their face& those who don't as well) and was handling a new 3/4 sized Eastwing one piece steel hafted axe I'd pulled off the wall ,studying upon it's merits& shortcomings & started talking to this dude that was walking by& stopped to peruse the proffered wares available for purchase as well,and,well we got to talking about steel& modern day metallurgy being utilized with the laborious efforts required in edge maintenance involved
( ya fellers,I woke up around 3:39 a.m. and started drinking) anyway, we'd both unequivocally agreed upon the fact that the old steel of 50+ years ago was far superior in that regard, as he espoused the superior virtues of a couple of axe's formerly owned by his grandfather.

My Grandfather liked Plumb axes bought me one for my 12th birthday . It was my pride and joy walked around puffed up for a month chopping down every sapling I could find . Still have it .
Cant even imagine a kid wanting or knowing how to use an axe today . Back then splitting wood was as common as swinging a baseball bat .

Blackrain

Reaction score

Holy spit 15 min is flying . Never timed my field dressin but I could routinely double lung a deer around 8am have it dressed , back to the Garage 3 mi skinned butchered Steaks , Roasts , Ground meat all vacuum sealed and cleaned up by noon. Only taking high percentage shots and Double lunging them is key so they go down within sight .

Melonfeud

Reaction score
I string er up using both tendons . The joint is right below the big tendon . You just circle it with the knife and the white spaghetti like tendons will be exposed when you get them cut the lower leg just snaps right off like a dry stick .

First saw a guy split the pelvis with a Buck General but he beat on the back of it with a rock could never bring myself to do that so I started out sawing it but it was a bit time consuming

Then I took an appropriate size stick and used that to beat the White Hunter through but pieces of bark and wood would get in there so I refined the method by using the lower leg of the deer as it would not damage the knife or leave debris in the meat .

I remove all the lower legs in same fashion as its easier to drag out with out them catching on things
Ya know? I recall splitting that pelvic bone with a
" sawzall " running it down the middle of the spine/ complete length of the hanging carcass,,,when I felt like putting in that kinda' professional butcher-like time , yet, in an non- refrigerated A.O. I've simply carved off the two upper back strap loins (hide still on)and a single ham hind leg at that pelvic joint& boogied on, as that's about all a man can safely consume in hot weather before that roasted hind venison ham starts turning green& getting a bit slimy ,even after a double campfire regrillin', trust me, it's better to just pop another one than suffer the dehydration of the drizzling s***'s( I know, oh yes!,,,I know:thumbup:)

:lmao::):lmao:

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Holy spit 15 min is flying . Never timed my field dressin but I could routinely double lung a deer around 8am have it dressed , back to the Garage 3 mi skinned butchered Steaks , Roasts , Ground meat all vacuum sealed and cleaned up by noon. Only taking high percentage shots and Double lunging them is key so they go down within sight .
How did them steaks carve out? Cuz' without "chilling" that flesh down to ambient room temp/ below on the hoof living temp, it's always been like carving steaks off a broken jar of Welch's grape jelly( you know what I mean bro, that broken jelly jar was a bit of a theatrical stretch ,but I've learned that flesh has got to age in it's dead stage a bit to carve properly, consuming the heart& liver first allows that time for it to "firm up",,, er,,,as that's always worked the best for me in those
" hungry ?,,, boy, you'd best be huntin' hard then" fondly recalled distant backtrail days:thumbup:

nobody

Reaction score

That's because back then companies took pride in their product and wanted to be known for reliability. Now it's about the bottom line and making sales. If you sell an ax that lasts 50+ years, then that's less sales overall. But if you sell a lower quality ax that lasts 5-10 years for the same price, that's 5 to 10 axes sold instead of 1. It's a disgusting tactic, but nearly every company in every field does this now. Whenever new companies come out that puts out a quality product, they're either priced out of business by the existing companies, or they're bought out and the quality is quickly dropped.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
That's because back then companies took pride in their product and wanted to be known for reliability. Now it's about the bottom line and making sales. If you sell an ax that lasts 50+ years, then that's less sales overall. But if you sell a lower quality ax that lasts 5-10 years for the same price, that's 5 to 10 axes sold instead of 1. It's a disgusting tactic, but nearly every company in every field does this now. Whenever new companies come out that puts out a quality product, they're either priced out of business by the existing companies, or they're bought out and the quality is quickly dropped.
AH-HA! for I perceive yer' an attuned student of the HENRY FORD'S correspondence/night class courses for the betterment of unwed mothers& such,,, in the PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE,,,er,,,:huh:,,, marketing plan, I commend yer "primate of life's termination's" astutely studied upon observations my Bro:thumbup:

* ya know? I had cabbages onto an ancient GENERAL MOTORS manufactured refrigerator back in the "80's" & that thing had to of been like the initial production run model( I'd bought it outta' an antique store for$40bucks ,but that old man who ran that store had sold me a vintage S&W mod.#3 in .44 cal when I was about 15, it was way past crapped out, but with judicious efforts of proper cylinder/ hammer thumb holding it back cuz it wouldnt lock into battery alignment, I could get it to go 'BANG',,, SO,,, we kinda' liked each other,ya know? ,,, anyway, when I was fixing to split the Midwest scene & Horace Greeley on down? my Dad saw that old refrigerator I was going abandon in place & gave me $75 bucks for it,,, and while the point of this long windy of factual long winded yarn is pretty pointless ,other than the fact that " planned obsolescence " is a prerequisite for a Capitalist type of marketing system,,, man alive, the U.S. Government used to demand 6 volt truck batteries be manufactured to have a 15 year life expectancy/ no pressure run flat truck tires/ etc. And that's a well know fact,,,yet,still to this day, that whole concept of shoveled free flowing cash is the only operating system thats benefitted the mostest world wide,( HIC) ya know?o_O

Blackrain

Reaction score
How did them steaks carve out? Cuz' without "chilling" that flesh down to ambient room temp/ below on the hoof living temp, it's always been like carving steaks off a broken jar of Welch's grape jelly( you know what I mean bro, that broken jelly jar was a bit of a theatrical stretch ,but I've learned that flesh has got to age in it's dead stage a bit to carve properly, consuming the heart& liver first allows that time for it to "firm up",,, er,,,as that's always worked the best for me in those
" hungry ?,,, boy, you'd best be huntin' hard then" fondly recalled distant backtrail days:thumbup:

Early Archery Season can be a bit miserable with heat so I skin them out cut the straps out whole then fillet the silver skin off and put them in the fridge for a day before I cut them up .

The big roast opposite what we call the football roast sometimes has to be done the same way cause like you say its a bit mushy to cut nice .

On many occasions I have quartered them up and hung the quarters in a gutted refrigerator I scavenged for this purpose. Fortunately upstate Buck season in PA is usually cold enough to hang them skinned for a day then butcher um up . Where do you do your hunting?

The DeWalt cordless sawsall is a luxury I have treated myself to in my older age and goes every where with me in my truck box . Warn makes a 500 lb mini winch operated by a cordless drill that is great for hanging stuff in obscure places picked up one of those to.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Early Archery Season can be a bit miserable with heat so I skin them out cut the straps out whole then fillet the silver skin off and put them in the fridge for a day before I cut them up .

The big roast opposite what we call the football roast sometimes has to be done the same way cause like you say its a bit mushy to cut nice .

On many occasions I have quartered them up and hung the quarters in a gutted refrigerator I scavenged for this purpose. Fortunately upstate Buck season in PA is usually cold enough to hang them skinned for a day then butcher um up . Where do you do your hunting?

The DeWalt cordless sawsall is a luxury I have treated myself to in my older age and goes every where with me in my truck box . Warn makes a 500 lb mini winch operated by a cordless drill that is great for hanging stuff in obscure places picked up one of those to.
Man,I'm in southern AZ. where you can sometimes hunt all day before you'll catch the furtive flash movement of a rock squirrel(ya, it depends on what section yer' issued "tag" is for,as you just can't lawfully hunt in deer season just anywhere,you used to be able to buy a mountian lion tag for $1 dollar good for the whole year& not bound by hunt sections/ it was state wide,,, that warn 500 lb winch ? Sounds like an awesome bit of kit , though ,I'm thinking having it powered by a cordless 3/4" impact driver would prolly be more better than a cordless drill, torque wise under load any way ya know? I did the lions share of my leatherstockings/deer slayer days in the Midwest, I had a 750 Bonn ville triumph
configured to like tractor pulling status( dude told me it was Illinois state champ in it's class at one time till other dudes with more $ started mounting V twin Harley engines, I had a respelling carbiner chained up to an overhead beam out in the open faced garage/ shed & just yard them up that way, I have just thrown the rope over a low hanging tree limb and lift the carcass up a stand on the slack end of the rope inching it up
( pain in the *** ,but I've had to figure out doing/working things alone early on)

Melonfeud

Reaction score
This is a cool thread you started @Blackrain ,let's try & keep it active Bro:thumbup:

* do you utilize comm gear/ two-way handsets while out huntin' with buds?