What is your favorite Blade

Blackrain

Reaction score
Man,I'm in southern AZ. where you can sometimes hunt all day before you'll catch the furtive flash movement of a rock squirrel(ya, it depends on what section yer' issued "tag" is for,as you just can't lawfully hunt in deer season just anywhere,you used to be able to buy a mountian lion tag for $1 dollar good for the whole year& not bound by hunt sections/ it was state wide,,, that warn 500 lb winch ? Sounds like an awesome bit of kit , though ,I'm thinking having it powered by a cordless 3/4" impact driver would prolly be more better than a cordless drill, torque wise under load any way ya know? I did the lions share of my leatherstockings/deer slayer days in the Midwest, I had a 750 Bonn ville triumph
configured to like tractor pulling status( dude told me it was Illinois state champ in it's class at one time till other dudes with more $ started mounting V twin Harley engines, I had a respelling carbiner chained up to an overhead beam out in the open faced garage/ shed & just yard them up that way, I have just thrown the rope over a low hanging tree limb and lift the carcass up a stand on the slack end of the rope inching it up
( pain in the *** ,but I've had to figure out doing/working things alone early on)

Yep hung deer by every means including boot laces LOL but that little winch pulled my Jeep up on the trailer the other day with the drill and I was impressed

Blackrain

Reaction score
This is a cool thread you started @Blackrain ,let's try & keep it active Bro:thumbup:

* do you utilize comm gear/ two-way handsets while out huntin' with buds?

Im on it brother we need some threads dealing with some old school man stuff once in a while .

We are pretty old school in communication no radios at all . We all just head out in different directions and when some one gets one they either drag it out or go back to camp and leave a note . Most stuff except the bigger bears can be drug of the mountain to camp

Got my 300 pounder down to the lake and in the canoe paddled it across to the house other 2 big ones we used the ATV on after we got them off the mountain

First bear we got in Tioga county my buddy left a note written on a pizza box tucked under the wiper of the truck and we all found where he was with the bear and got it out

BillyBates

Reaction score
for deer I have a old Remington RD-3 folder with gut hook.had it since I was a kid. for trout, turkey small game I have a Remington folding bird with choke tube tool and bird gut hook. Trout season in the northern part of PA is almost here, also Turkey gobbler season kicks in too.
s-l225.jpg

Blackrain

Reaction score
for deer I have a old Remington RD-3 folder with gut hook.had it since I was a kid. for trout, turkey small game I have a Remington folding bird with choke tube tool and bird gut hook. Trout season in the northern part of PA is almost here, also Turkey gobbler season kicks in too.
s-l225.jpg
Yep trout came in this weekend in south east PA I anxiously awaiting the up state opener. My daughter has the Rem trout and bird for doves and loves it

BillyBates

Reaction score
Yep trout came in this weekend in south east PA I anxiously awaiting the up state opener. My daughter has the Rem trout and bird for doves and loves it
I grew up in SE-PA near Yardley-Washington's crossing. The canal from Morrisville to the lower park was pretty cool, heading to lower pond at promised land state park on the 13th.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I grew up in SE-PA near Yardley-Washington's crossing. The canal from Morrisville to the lower park was pretty cool, heading to lower pond at promised land state park on the 13th.

Your a little north of me Im where Middletown, Brookhaven and Aston intersect not far from Ridley Creek State Park. I have been fishing Ridley and Chester creeks

BillyBates

Reaction score
Your a little north of me Im where Middletown, Brookhaven and Aston intersect not far from Ridley Creek State Park. I have been fishing Ridley and Chester creeks
what do you think of the Sunday hunting and the Saturday deer opener proposals? I really dont care one way or another on the Sunday deal. just wish they would leave Monday deer season as the opener.

BillyBates

Reaction score
I need to put that little portable outfit together for me
I put up a ''OLE Man'' ladder stand 6 years ago. besides the ratchet straps which I did replace its still solid and Stabil. its been there for so long now the varmints are use to seeing it. if your not one for climbing, a pop up dog house blinds are awesome. gotz one from tractor supply for turkey and archery season..

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I put up a ''OLE Man'' ladder stand 6 years ago. besides the ratchet straps which I did replace its still solid and Stabil. its been there for so long now the varmints are use to seeing it. if your not one for climbing, a pop up dog house blinds are awesome. gotz one from tractor supply for turkey and archery season..
Ha, thats pretty cool bro, ya know? Not that I wish to elavate nor lower my esteemed statused view from amongst my fellows& peers, but ,I had a pretty good collection of portable tree stands I would commandeer once they were located within my huntin' A.O.'s
( had collected about 3 at one time,once) yer' huntin' in a good area ,,,do you like huntin' outta those blinds BB? I've never tried that but now if one was to leave that set up in place long term over a 'generous' feeding area, I could definitely appreciate it's merits:thumbup:

*I used to climb up
" vines " of about 1" dia. hanging down/ growing up to get to that first tree branch, then pull up my shotgun or bow with the 550 paracord I'd tied to it,,,straight truth:starspin:

BillyBates

Reaction score
Ha, thats pretty cool bro, ya know? Not that I wish to elavate nor lower my esteemed statused view from amongst my fellows& peers, but ,I had a pretty good collection of portable tree stands I would commandeer once they were located within my huntin' A.O.'s
( had collected about 3 at one time,once) yer' huntin' in a good area ,,,do you like huntin' outta those blinds BB? I've never tried that but now if one was to leave that set up in place long term over a 'generous' feeding area, I could definitely appreciate it's merits:thumbup:

*I used to climb up
" vines " of about 1" dia. hanging down/ growing up to get to that first tree branch, then pull up my shotgun or bow with the 550 paracord I'd tied to it,,,straight truth:starspin:
too cool, paracord has to be one of the most useful things besides camo duct tape in the woods. I stick more or less to the good earth as of late. gravity and I have a good relationship. ether I'm getting too old or because of my age I realize the perillas of a 20 foot fall. I hunt in two very distinctively different terrains ,open hard woods (acorns, hickory ,beach ) the ladder stand is for deer rifle season only. it affords a greater view of the wooded stage.
Archery has slowly became my favorite. our archery season is during rut here in NE-PA.I found the downward angle of shots placed from a tree stand needed to be placed almost perfectly or your in for a over night adventure tracking\dragging, enter ''AMERISTEP' brand' ground blind., its roomy enough but not obvious. sets up very quickly and I do place it before and leave it there until after the season. its placed in heavy cover near a funnel I found between bedding and a corn field. I have pass through shots now that I can watch them fall. as a seat I have a old pontoon boat seat mounted to a steel milk crate. A red neck lazy boy lmao. if it does snow or get cold a propane Mr Heater works well.
15AMPUDGHSBLNDRTXTSB

Blackrain

Reaction score
what do you think of the Sunday hunting and the Saturday deer opener proposals? I really dont care one way or another on the Sunday deal. just wish they would leave Monday deer season as the opener.

Yep would rather have a Monday opener but would love to hunt birds on Sundays with the dog

Blackrain

Reaction score
I like building permanent stands . Bought a Pasload nail gun and a Cooper circular saw made from a Stihl climbing saw and a Dewalt circular saw connected by a small transmission. Those battery powered circular saws ate batteries too fast and had no power . This thing is a beast makes tree stand construction fast .

I put 2 1/2 ft sides all around and they are comfortable and secure even when you make them high up . The sides give you confidence to draw and not be see or fall out of the stand .

I have used and shot deer out of many ladder stands but really like the comfort and security of the permanent ones I make

Blackrain

Reaction score
Just picked up a Pistol field Tool made by Real Avid that disassembles the 1911 19 tools and a blade . Bushing Wrench ,drift pin , Screwdrivers and allens

BillyBates

Reaction score
Just picked up a Pistol field Tool made by Real Avid that disassembles the 1911 19 tools and a blade . Bushing Wrench ,drift pin , Screwdrivers and allens
Funny you mentioned Real Avid, I got a bore light and a micro tool in my Xmas stocking from Santa from that company. quality well made tools for the field.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Real Avid 1911 tool came yesterday its a great tool . Used it on a couple things and it works well .

Blackrain

Reaction score
Ok Geez Im bored with the football portion of this site and Im done with Daks dog incident so since this is a blade thread Im going to expand into some more man stuff .

What type of ChainSaws you guys into and dose anyone mill rough lumber . I paneled a few rooms with the rough lumber I milled using a Stihl 880 and an Alaskan mill. I like Stihl and Echo saws and rebuild them in the winter months

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Ok Geez Im bored with the football portion of this site and Im done with Daks dog incident so since this is a blade thread Im going to expand into some more man stuff .

What type of ChainSaws you guys into and dose anyone mill rough lumber . I paneled a few rooms with the rough lumber I milled using a Stihl 880 and an Alaskan mill. I like Stihl and Echo saws and rebuild them in the winter months
I got a big canuck manufactured logging chainsaw "pioneer", ( I've got a big stihl two cycle cut-off wheel casing-liner for possible future, steel barrier breaching operations, though, I've not started either one of them in 2-3 years,In fact, that's what made me remember this thread, as a freak wind blasted thru last week& I noticed it blew an 8" dia. Limb off my lezzie neighbors tree ,blocking here walk-way from her locked gate to her front door steps,,,so,knowing I wasn't in any mood of raising to life my chainsaw, I grabbed 100' extension cord & an electric sawzall to at least cut her access to her house/ she had the gate padlocked,and prolly over at her squeeze's pad,,,,anyway, I had a bi-metal cutting blade previously installed & needed an aggressive wood tooth ripping blade, but forgot just where I'd last laid my hands on my coveted fistful stash of sawzall blades,so I'm almost standing on my head looking under the back seat of the pickup and I yarded out a cold steel recon1 one hander folding lock back tanto point blade I'd carried for years,although, I'd not seen it for years(I'd thought one of the house cleaner girls stole it):thumbup:

Blackrain

Reaction score
I got a big canuck manufactured logging chainsaw "pioneer", ( I've got a big stihl two cycle cut-off wheel casing-liner for possible future, steel barrier breaching operations, though, I've not started either one of them in 2-3 years,In fact, that's what made me remember this thread, as a freak wind blasted thru last week& I noticed it blew an 8" dia. Limb off my lezzie neighbors tree ,blocking here walk-way from her locked gate to her front door steps,,,so,knowing I wasn't in any mood of raising to life my chainsaw, I grabbed 100' extension cord & an electric sawzall to at least cut her access to her house/ she had the gate padlocked,and prolly over at her squeeze's pad,,,,anyway, I had a bi-metal cutting blade previously installed & needed an aggressive wood tooth ripping blade, but forgot just where I'd last laid my hands on my coveted fistful stash of sawzall blades,so I'm almost standing on my head looking under the back seat of the pickup and I yarded out a cold steel recon1 one hander folding lock back tanto point blade I'd carried for years,although, I'd not seen it for years(I'd thought one of the house cleaner girls stole it):thumbup:

That's awesome when you find one of those treasures that been missing for a while . My buddy had a Pioneer , good strong saw did the fuel lines on it once . just got my 038 magnum Stihl running needed an Ignition . Dog gone thing had spark but just not hot enough to get it done . Fresh fire and that thing is a beast 72 cc and pretty light compared to my old 045

Got 20 Stihl saws from the little climbing saws to the Biggest logging saws they make all are now running but one 026 that needs an ignition

Got a stump out last week using my echo tree saw a Dewalt cordless Sawzall and the John Deere Tractor of course Plunge cut all the big roots with the echo then Sawzalled to the dirt on each side . Plunged the fork on the JD under the stump and plucked her right out