What Is Your Unpopular Cowboys Opinion?

Nexx

Reaction score
I saw this somewhere and thought it would be fun to hear others opinions.

It can be anything, historical or current. I'll start:

I think Tony Romo might be the most talented Cowboys QB ever, but he was ruined by bad defenses, Jason Garrett, and injuries. I also believe that if we went back to him in 2016 we would've had a much better shot reaching the Super Bowl. I supported sticking with Dak at the time, because I was over Romo always missing time, but Romo was probably the best option that year looking back. It would have also gave Dak a great veteran QB to learn behind.

My man. Thank you.

Trendnet

Reaction score

I think Tony Romo might be the most talented Cowboys QB ever, but he was ruined by bad defenses, Jason Garrett, and injuries. I also believe that if we went back to him in 2016 we would've had a much better shot reaching the Super Bowl. I supported sticking with Dak at the time, because I was over Romo always missing time, but Romo was probably the best option that year looking back. It would have also gave Dak a great veteran QB to learn behind.

Benching Julius Jones for Marion Barber in the 2007 Playoffs was a mistake and cost the Cowboys a victory.

Jason Garretts mistaken and stupid belief in 'hot hand' is his real legacy and it manifested itself in 2016 as well sticking with Prescott.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Here are some of my unpopular opinions:

• Almost opposite of the OP…I think Romo was an overrated underachiever who was a really good QB but never seemed to work that hard at getting better. He was basically the same player in 2007 as he was in 2014, just with more injury baggage. Sadly, I also think Romo is overrated by many of our younger fans because they never saw Dandy Don, Craig Morton, Roger, Danny White or Troy Aikman play. Tony Romo was a very good QB. Great? No. He’s not even in my top 5 former Cowboys QBs.
  • The only time Jerry has been a good GM is when he hires a strong willed HC who can balance his sugar daddy tendencies. A la Jimmy. Jerry without a balancing influence of strength, discipline and a strong football mind is a below average GM. The last 25 years are the evidence. His best years were because he hired strong people not puppet pushovers like Chan, Wade and Garrett. The only saving grace for JJ and Stephen is having Will McClay.
  • Having your owner also be your GM is a really, really bad football idea. And 29 other NFL owners agree with that opinion. Including the winning owners of the last 25 SBs. Pretty obvious stuff.
  • Zeke’s days as a star RB are over. This should be his last year with the Cowboys. He’s nothing like what he once was and that contract kills us next year with so many big FAs coming up.
  • I would draft a LT early in the draft if a top one is available. Tyron Smith is almost done. I love the guy but we can’t wait until he’s totally done to make a move there. We need to make plans now for his departure.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Romo is overrated.

Chaz Green was not terrible.

Cowboys should not have drafted Elliott.

I am happy the 2007 Giants, 2011 Giants and 2017 Eagles defeated the Cheatriots, despite the fact they are division rivals.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You're right, he had some key contributes to him not succeeding, but even in games that they won, Romo was known for almost giving them away in the weirdest of ways. Like I said to other guys on the forum, I'm known for visiting other teams forums and it always frustrated me that no one took Romo seriously.. I can tell you that Dak gets 10000 times more respect than Romo did with fans of other teams and that is because time and time again Romo gave teams life.

I have the opposite reaction with other fan bases. Most say that Romo always concerned them because they knew what he was capable of. Most were \ are lukewarm on Dak. Most didn't think he should have been re-signed. At least not at a price that prevented you from looking for someone else.

I think the media plays such a large role in forming 90% of the population's opinions. Only 10% (I'm just spit balling) truly understand what makes plays fail or succeed. I can't tell you how many times the average fan starts telling me how bad a player was & its straight from the game summary on TV. They have no context that yes the QB did throw an interception that sealed the game but they have no clue that there were three errors by their teammates that put them in 4th & 19 to begin with and that the QB made an unbelievable play to get the ball on the hands of the receiver which would have converted if he had caught it cleanly but instead it deflected & was intercepted. All the media cycle wants is a simple story with a hero or a zero and that's what becomes the "truth" among the masses. The truth is that there are generally a number of mistakes throughout the course of the game that determine the fate of a team. On a particular play you may be able to place the glory or blame on one person ... but even individual plays are often more complex than that.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Dak Prescott is a top tier quarterback that will play his way out of this slump; starting this Sunday at the Giants.

Now excuse me while I duck my head and run out of here safely.....

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Barry Switzer was underrated and a damn good coach.
He didn't just ride all that talent to a Super Bowl championship. He had a lot to do with it.

He also gave the best post game interviews loaded with "damns" and "craps."
I liked him more than I liked Jimmy I did not like Jimmy

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

That Rowdy is really ... SEAN LEACH!!!!